I look back, and I think I made the wrong decision.

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I was at my local Wal-Mart Saturday night to pick up two sets of Wii points. I was browsing through the rather excellent library of Wii titles on the shelves.

Anyways, there was a kid, I'd estimate to be 11 years old or so, who was looking through the Wii titles. He then discusses with this dad that the game is $49.99 plus tax is about $55. I stuck around a few minutes to see what he was purchasing.

The lady who had the key opened and picked up a copy of SimAnimals. That bothered me somewhat. There were some most excellent titles out there and I just stood there watching this kid picking upthis game. Now, it probably wouldn't have bothered me it were like $20-$30, but this was a full retail price.

I really wanted to jump in and say "No, you don't want this game,SimAnimals isnot worth it. I reccomend (X) game here." The problem was, I didn't know exactly why he shouldn't get SimAnimals, and maybe he really will enjoy it, and he may actually hate the game that I would've reccomended had I said something.

I was so close tobutt in and "help."I just don't know.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

I was at my local Wal-Mart Saturday night to pick up two sets of Wii points. I was browsing through the rather excellent library of Wii titles on the shelves.

Anyways, there was a kid, I'd estimate to be 11 years old or so, who was looking through the Wii titles. He then discusses with this dad that the game is $49.99 plus tax is about $55. I stuck around a few minutes to see what he was purchasing.

The lady who had the key opened and picked up a copy of SimAnimals. That bothered me somewhat. There were some most excellent titles out there and I just stood there watching this kid picking upthis game. Now, it probably wouldn't have bothered me it were like $20-$30, but this was a full retail price.

I really wanted to jump in and say "No, you don't want this game,SimAnimals isnot worth it. I reccomend (X) game here." The problem was, I didn't know exactly why he shouldn't get SimAnimals, and maybe he really will enjoy it, and he may actually hate the game that I would've reccomended had I said something.

wiifan001
i think i have saved people a couple of times from getting shovelabominations at a store.But you cant save em all ^^"
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
you DO know that vigilantes are illegal? you did th right thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I understand the impulse to prevent the sale of that game, but the counter argument is that the child may very well love that game, as many others may. While It's shovelware, that doesn't always mean it's a terrible game. Mediocre perhaps, but still enjoyable for a younger player. Still, that price is really steep.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

Good job, you probably killed his childhood.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

People can buy what they want. Even when I was younger I read magazines and informed myself what games not to buy, Games like SimsAnimal for 50 dollars.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts
Hard as it is, I think you made the right choice to just stay quiet. I think we've all bought a game that turned out not to be so good, and you know what, it made us all better shoppers and probably helped to define our taste in games. Live and Learn.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kardine
Hard as it is, I think you made the right choice to just stay quiet. I think we've all bought a game that turned out not to be so good, and you know what, it made us all better shoppers and probably helped to define our taste in games. Live and Learn.Arc2012
It does not help some though. I have a friend who is ridiculous with the games he buys. He buys very bad games eventhough I lightly suggest good ones, but he does not listen. He will buy a game then play it once then revert back to WoW.
JoInfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 JoInfo
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts

I say let the darn kid buy the crappy game. Hyuk Hyuk.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

every individual gets a different level of enjoyment from a product. for all we know, that kid couldve loved the game. it really doesnt matter if the game he bought happens to shovelware. even if he does end up not liking the game, then he is beginning to learn that its best to do some research before making a purchase. id say that lesson is more important than any fun he might get out of buying a good game.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
[QUOTE="Arc2012"]Hard as it is, I think you made the right choice to just stay quiet. I think we've all bought a game that turned out not to be so good, and you know what, it made us all better shoppers and probably helped to define our taste in games. Live and Learn.kardine
It does not help some though. I have a friend who is ridiculous with the games he buys. He buys very bad games eventhough I lightly suggest good ones, but he does not listen. He will buy a game then play it once then revert back to WoW.

There are some highly recommended games on this forums that I really do not like (Fire Emblem, Batalion Wars 2, Mario Galaxy, etc.). I'm not saying they are bad games, but everyones tastes are different and what's bad to you may not be bad to someone else.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kardine
[QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="Arc2012"]Hard as it is, I think you made the right choice to just stay quiet. I think we've all bought a game that turned out not to be so good, and you know what, it made us all better shoppers and probably helped to define our taste in games. Live and Learn.psychobrew

There are some highly recommended games on this forums that I really do not like (Fire Emblem, Batalion Wars 2, Mario Galaxy, etc.). I'm not saying they are bad games, but everyones tastes are different and what's bad to you may not be bad to someone else.

But at the very least, games I do not personally like (very few), which are highly regarded and well done I can look at those postitives and realize why they are good games. I do not know how you could not like Super Mario Galaxy, but you cannot deny it has very good graphics on the technical side and great art direction, you may not like the platforming but there are aspects of the game that can be admired.
JERMINITIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 JERMINITIS
Member since 2007 • 1517 Posts

wiifan001

I don't know why, but i've been asked about Wii games a lot here lately, whether in BestBuy or WalMart. In one instance in WalMart, I was looking at their collection, and a 70+ year old man began asking me about the games that I owned, and which games did I like best. I pointed out the majority of the games that Iowned, or at least the ones that WM had, and tried toget a feeling of what kind of games he was into, which was weird because this man was extremely GREEN (new)at gaming. Well, a WM employee came up and started throwing his input in, which is why he works there. But, the old man was dead set on getting SMGalaxy. I didn't encourage or discourage him from it. I just told him that I 'dug' the game and that he might or might not. But, I told him up front that I didn't want him to buy it based solely off of my decision. Because, if he paid the $50 and tax for it, gothome, and didn't like it, then, i would feel bad. Funny thing is, I almost volunteered my SMG copy to him to borrow, almost. See, the old man lived in a retirement neighborhood less than 5 minutes from my house. Looking back on it, I prolly should have let him, but he ended up buying it anyways. So, I hope he's enjoying it.

hansolo14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hansolo14
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

When I look at my childhood i can remember epic times with sholveware

Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
That would just kill me inside. That poor child.
Cone_Zone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 Cone_Zone
Member since 2009 • 235 Posts

wiifan001
Here's a tip. Different people have different gaming preferences.
ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
If the kid was 15 or older i would have said something, but at 11 you made the right choice. I think that we older gamers have to remember that Wii pets and stuff like that is not aimed at us and some kids will actually enjoy them. Back when I was palying my NES there were all kinds of 'bad games that I really liked, like RoboCop one and two!
PompeiiMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PompeiiMagnus
Member since 2009 • 56 Posts
why do we feel the need to bash what someone else likes. you people that just go along with the consensus are dead inside. nothing but followers.
TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

This happens to me all the time, but I never have the guts to step up.

gerg19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gerg19
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

When I look back at the games I have bought for the Wii, I have noticed some games that make me go "why did I waste my money?" Sometimes I wish that someone had cut in and told me that I should'nt buy that game. But, what can you do eh?

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I kid his age might just like it.
fraz1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fraz1776
Member since 2006 • 2269 Posts

My mate is the same, he buys crap like EA Playground and Carnival Games, I try to tell him that there are awesome games like MP3 etc but he just doesn't listen! :x

auron11022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 auron11022
Member since 2003 • 289 Posts

You didn't.

There are two likely scenarios that took place here.

1. The kid went home and enjoyed the game. (My 12, 8, 5 year old siblings love BAD games, so it is quite possible this kid liked simanimals)

2. The kid hated it and learned a lesson that we all learn eventually.

either way he benefits.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

He might have enjoyed it. When i was younger i made a few bad purchases but i thought they were great. At that age almost everything seems awesome :P.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 psychobrew
[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="kardine"] It does not help some though. I have a friend who is ridiculous with the games he buys. He buys very bad games eventhough I lightly suggest good ones, but he does not listen. He will buy a game then play it once then revert back to WoW.kardine

But at the very least, games I do not personally like (very few), which are highly regarded and well done I can look at those postitives and realize why they are good games. I do not know how you could not like Super Mario Galaxy, but you cannot deny it has very good graphics on the technical side and great art direction, you may not like the platforming but there are aspects of the game that can be admired.

Most people love Galaxy so I'm willing to give it the bennefit of the doubt, but for me, it just didn't have the Mario feel and it was too hard to accurately control. I thought the story was strangely done too. I guess I just prefer Mario in a 2D world back when Nintendo concentrated on gameplay instead of concentrating on a poorly implemented story.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiifan001
Hard as it is, I think you made the right choice to just stay quiet. I think we've all bought a game that turned out not to be so good, and you know what, it made us all better shoppers and probably helped to define our taste in games. Live and Learn.Arc2012
I like this answer a lot right here :)
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

ya never know....the kid might end up loving the game!

Obviously, (especially noticeable on these boards) everyone has different tastes. Let's say some kid was going to buy the Conduit, I'm sure some people would feel like they were in the same situation as you, and feel they should say something. (just using the Conduit as an example, no hate)

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
People too often think they know what best, video games are like books, movies, television, etc. What one person may not like does not mean everyone else shares that opinion. Like you look at these license games made from kid shows and the reviews give them a 4 and older gamers say their crap, but young kids who the game is meant for actually like them. For all the TC knows, that kid could have been watching that game and really wanted it. This is not a gaming dictatorship, people need to stop making decisions for what others, especially people you don't know would want.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiifan001
People too often think they know what best, video games are like books, movies, television, etc. What one person may not like does not mean everyone else shares that opinion. Like you look at these license games made from kid shows and the reviews give them a 4 and older gamers say their crap, but young kids who the game is meant for actually like them. For all the TC knows, that kid could have been watching that game and really wanted it. This is not a gaming dictatorship, people need to stop making decisions for what others, especially people you don't know would want. Sepewrath
I don't think you read my original post fully. I kept my mouth shut because clearly he wanted it. I didn't say anything to the kid, yet your post hints that I did stop him and told him something else.
webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts

Little kids have different tastes in games. When I was younger, one of my favorite psone games was Star Wars Episode 1 Jedi Power Battles, which if I am not mistaken got mostly bad reviews. Here is another example. My girlfriend's little sister bought her carnival games for christmas. Most of the people here would consider it shovelware, and i dont think any reviewer gave it over 5/10. My girlfriend works with kids for her job, and kids are always coming over to our house to play the wii. The youner ones have a blase playing carnival games. They will play it for hours. I showed them Galaxy, Brawl, and Mario Kart but the younger ones (9years old and younger) mostly prefer carnival games. Most of the people here, as well as most reviewers, are rating games based on their own preferences, and do not really understand what is fun for little kids. One man's shovelware is another man's gem.

DSandPSP_owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DSandPSP_owner
Member since 2005 • 259 Posts

simanimals is a great game for kids. one time i showed a kid, who didn't know what to buy at gamestop, how great Meteos is and he didn't understand it and thought it was "boring." some people (especially younger people) just don't appreciate certain strokes of genius. when i was a kid, i loved rocko's modern life on super nintendo, but older people and critics probably said it was bad (edit: i just looked this game up and remembered that it was the first game with voice-acting, and it had classic platforming elements...but you get what i mean). most of the time it's better to just let the natural order take its course, unless a kid is buying sonic and the black knight. that's a game i saved a kid from. then, when i got home i found out that nintendo power gave it an 8, even though ign gave it a 3.7...so i think it's best to just leave it alone.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts
Just help whenever someone goes "What game should I get?" out loud. That's what I stick to doing.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]People too often think they know what best, video games are like books, movies, television, etc. What one person may not like does not mean everyone else shares that opinion. Like you look at these license games made from kid shows and the reviews give them a 4 and older gamers say their crap, but young kids who the game is meant for actually like them. For all the TC knows, that kid could have been watching that game and really wanted it. This is not a gaming dictatorship, people need to stop making decisions for what others, especially people you don't know would want. wiifan001
I don't think you read my original post fully. I kept my mouth shut because clearly he wanted it. I didn't say anything to the kid, yet your post hints that I did stop him and told him something else.

I wasn't referring to only you, but the number of people who make topics like this, especially those who intervene with the desicion as if they know that persons taste better than the person themselves.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wiifan001
[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"]People too often think they know what best, video games are like books, movies, television, etc. What one person may not like does not mean everyone else shares that opinion. Like you look at these license games made from kid shows and the reviews give them a 4 and older gamers say their crap, but young kids who the game is meant for actually like them. For all the TC knows, that kid could have been watching that game and really wanted it. This is not a gaming dictatorship, people need to stop making decisions for what others, especially people you don't know would want. Sepewrath

I wasn't referring to only you, but the number of people who make topics like this, especially those who intervene with the desicion as if they know that persons taste better than the person themselves.

Oh, so it's other people, yet including me eh? Well, I wasn't thinking about myself in that situation. Besides, I didn't say anything so don't look at this as if I did.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sepewrath
Well I said ESPECIALLY those who tell people what to get, you said you didnt do it so that part of the statement wasn't referring to now was it? And you clearly were thinking about your own opinions because you said the game wasn't worth it. Thats your own personal opionion, it was clearly worth it to the kid and his dad paying for it.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kardine
[QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="psychobrew"] There are some highly recommended games on this forums that I really do not like (Fire Emblem, Batalion Wars 2, Mario Galaxy, etc.). I'm not saying they are bad games, but everyones tastes are different and what's bad to you may not be bad to someone else.psychobrew

Most people love Galaxy so I'm willing to give it the bennefit of the doubt, but for me, it just didn't have the Mario feel and it was too hard to accurately control. I thought the story was strangely done too. I guess I just prefer Mario in a 2D world back when Nintendo concentrated on gameplay instead of concentrating on a poorly implemented story.

Their focus was not the story, at all... And as I said its not just taking the benefit of the doubt, you can still there was great aspects of that game evn if you do not like it as a whole.
Wonkyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wonkyman
Member since 2004 • 84 Posts

Bad games make us good gamers. Or at least that's how it was in the NES days. The first crap game I ever owned was Micky Mousecapade, and I logged so much time and effort into it. The game was punishingly hard. Unforgiving and sometimes just plain torture. But working on it made me improve my skills. Now I scratch my head when people complain about Mega Man 9's difficulty.

Pyro767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Pyro767
Member since 2009 • 2305 Posts

Bad games make us good gamers. Or at least that's how it was in the NES days. The first crap game I ever owned was Micky Mousecapade, and I logged so much time and effort into it. The game was punishingly hard. Unforgiving and sometimes just plain torture. But working on it made me improve my skills. Now I scratch my head when people complain about Mega Man 9's difficulty.

Wonkyman

People complain because they didn't grow up with those kinds of morals. Not even I did, but I'm wierd and hard games draw me in, like a black hole.

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

You should be happy, he could have done a lot worse than Sim Animals. At the very least Sim Animals is a mediocre/passable experience which is far more than I could say for a lot of other garbage he could've gotten.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wiifan001
Ok then. It's abnormal how I'm actually taking in other people's opinions for a change. Definitely different at least. It seems that I didn't make a false move then.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I have only a few questions to ask you:

1. Have YOU Personally played SimAnimals or are you just saying it's a bad game based off other people's experiences?

2. What game would you have preferred the "Kid" buy, MadWorld perhaps? Maybe, The Godfather? What about Manhunt?

I personally hate when people try to tell me what is a good or bad game (Even though I'm not a kid) especially when it's a game that I've personally seen and liked, then they try to recommend me a so called "Good game" like GTA, Madden *Yuck* or some other game that is good only because it's popular. It makes me want to slap the crap out of them. Now, I've sorta been victim to what you are saying because I've seen people looking towards getting a game and I tell them the bad and the good about it (If I've actually played the game) but I don't try to persuade them out of buying it and recommend them a different game. I think that's like forcing your opinions on them so I'm actually glad you didn't butt in. My point is, let people buy what they want.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wiifan001
[QUOTE="nini200"]

I have only a few questions to ask you:

1. Have YOU Personally played SimAnimals or are you just saying it's a bad game based off other people's experiences?

2. What game would you have preferred the "Kid" buy, MadWorld perhaps? Maybe, The Godfather? What about Manhunt?

I personally hate when people try to tell me what is a good or bad game (Even though I'm not a kid) especially when it's a game that I've personally seen and liked, then they try to recommend me a so called "Good game" like GTA, Madden *Yuck* or some other game that is good only because it's popular. It makes me want to slap the crap out of them. Now, I've sorta been victim to what you are saying because I've seen people looking towards getting a game and I tell them the bad and the good about it (If I've actually played the game) but I don't try to persuade them out of buying it and recommend them a different game. I think that's like forcing your opinions on them so I'm actually glad you didn't butt in. My point is, let people buy what they want.

No, I would not have reccomended Mature rated games. Heck, I don't even play them, and I'm sure as heck old enough to buy them if I wanted to with just a show of ID.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 psychobrew
[QUOTE="psychobrew"][QUOTE="kardine"] But at the very least, games I do not personally like (very few), which are highly regarded and well done I can look at those postitives and realize why they are good games. I do not know how you could not like Super Mario Galaxy, but you cannot deny it has very good graphics on the technical side and great art direction, you may not like the platforming but there are aspects of the game that can be admired. kardine

Their focus was not the story, at all... And as I said its not just taking the benefit of the doubt, you can still there was great aspects of that game evn if you do not like it as a whole.

There were a ton of cut scenes. Cut scenes are there to add focus to the story.
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

you DO know that vigilantes are illegal? you did th right thing.garrett_duffman

How is telling someone that they are buying a crappy game being vigilant?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

When it comes to other people buying games, I shut my mouth because it isn't my business what they are buying even if I know its garbage. When it comes to my friends, I'm critical as heck about what they buy because they absolutely know better than buying soulcaliber legends and stuff. I rip on them for it and I am usually right because I know what they would like and not like and I know what is crap and what is not. That comes from sharing siimilar interests and knowing them, some kid in a store isn't a person I can make a decsion for hence why I shut my mouth. I can only make the perfect choice for myself, can't really decide what is right for others so I don't try.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]you DO know that vigilantes are illegal? you did th right thing.snover2009

Pretty sure that was a joke..

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="psychobrew"] Most people love Galaxy so I'm willing to give it the bennefit of the doubt, but for me, it just didn't have the Mario feel and it was too hard to accurately control. I thought the story was strangely done too. I guess I just prefer Mario in a 2D world back when Nintendo concentrated on gameplay instead of concentrating on a poorly implemented story.psychobrew

There were a ton of cut scenes. Cut scenes are there to add focus to the story.

There were cut scenes in the beginning and end of the game. That's it, what exactly are you talking about. I love 2D mario and think its better than 3D but your complaints are no existant in mario galaxy. The contols are fine, there is nothing inherently flawed about them to the point where they would be a problem.

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

This happens to me all the time, but I never have the guts to step up.

TheSmitto

I prefer to stew in bmy own bitter resentment than risk causing a scene in public, lol. I mean, what happens if they object to your interference? You would be screwed than - although im sure ost people would appreciate the advice.

deimos113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deimos113
Member since 2007 • 516 Posts

Good job, you probably killed his childhood.

Yoweeh
You make it sounds like its a bad thing
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]you DO know that vigilantes are illegal? you did th right thing.snover2009

thats what we call a JOKE son. all of these self-righteous people come into these threads thinking " oh man i tell people not to buy games they want because i think they suck despite having never played it so that makes me awesome" and thats a not good thing to do. this guy has nothing to feel bad about, so i told him that in joke form.