I Didn't Like The MP3 Preview...

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emmenite7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Emmenite7
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts
I was sadly underwhelmed by the Metroid Prime 3 preview, for two main reasons.

Firstly I must say this, I have been worried about this game being too linear for a while now but this preview as showed me that I may be right.  We see Samus defending a besieged city from aliens, much like a level from Halo.  In fact, I start to wonder if this game is trying to be like Halo.

Next is the graphics and design.  I was quite disappointed with what I saw.  Watching videos on IGN showed me that the game took a huge leap in visuals since last year, but this video reminded me of the underwhelming footage from E3 '06.  It wasn't just the technical graphics either, everything just looked uninspired.  The beseiged city looked like the stereotypical, generic metropolis of the future.  Even Halo 2's version of a futuristic city was more intesting in my opinion.  It is disappointing to see this after seeing the jaw-dropping areas of the past Metroid Prime games.

What did you guys think?
Avatar image for kingtahktahkhuk
kingtahktahkhuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kingtahktahkhuk
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
dont really like the metroid games and this one looks just like a standard metroid game to me
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

i was impressed by the visuals, it looks very atmospheric like the first game. As for it being linear, i think its going to be something like Metroid Fusion, which i liked a lot.I dont think this game is trying to be halo, NP has already been playing the game for a while and have said it has more puzzles than the first, and more mind boggling puzzles -- They also said they faced 5 bosses in 6 hours, good things imo.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
The Video and sound are compressed so it's not going to sound as good as it will when the games sitting in front of you. I like the artistic design but I can't argue with you on that and again it's a preview so it's not like they're going to showpuzzle solving, that'd be boring to watch. Watching samus shootstuff is what they's put in the preview so don't be worried.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
The video was pretty low quality, the biggest annoyance for me was that my router isn't all that great and everything from getting th shop channel up to starting the movies takes so long.
mkfalcon2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mkfalcon2007
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts
they had puzzle solving in the echoes previews.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

they had puzzle solving in the echoes previews.mkfalcon2007

Really, how? You really can't differentiate if they are puzzle solving or just walking around or doing other stuff besides it being obvious they aren't shooting.

enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 enduin
Member since 2003 • 1364 Posts
Im almost positive thats not a city but a military base. And how does the preview show you the game is linear?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

they had puzzle solving in the echoes previews.mkfalcon2007

If you watch any of the old MP1 or MP2 E3 videos, all of them were about shooting around and running. None of the demos are going to show you puzzles and stuff, people only get like 10-15 mins. to try out the games, and move onto others.

Svarthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Svarthek
Member since 2005 • 1431 Posts
It's probably no more linear than the other two primes.  the thing that bugs me are the other Hunters.  I hates Hunters on the DS partially because the other hunters made Samus seem so much less special.  Metroid always seemed like it should be a lone Bounty Hunter against a hostile ecosystem and sinister space pirates.  Allies and other characters seems so foreign for Metroid.
Grinder86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grinder86
Member since 2005 • 105 Posts
actually, the city place thing is just one leve in the game, kind of like a tutorial, the rest of the game, from videos ive seen, look like kind of the same environment of MP1 and MP2, but different, and, well, i cant wait till this game comes out
thelegend2675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thelegend2675
Member since 2006 • 72 Posts
I can't wait for this game! You guys read gamespots and ign's preview of the game in e3 they said mp3's graphics are impressive and the best looking wii game to date. I've learned in the past to never judge a games graphics by videos and pictures. They always tend to look better in motion. So play the game and then judge the graphics and puzzles in the game,
Linkthedueler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Linkthedueler
Member since 2003 • 4389 Posts

It's probably no more linear than the other two primes. the thing that bugs me are the other Hunters. I hates Hunters on the DS partially because the other hunters made Samus seem so much less special. Metroid always seemed like it should be a lone Bounty Hunter against a hostile ecosystem and sinister space pirates. Allies and other characters seems so foreign for Metroid.Svarthek

I agree with you but i'd also like to see Samus interact with someone else for a change...thats why i liked Fusion so much, the way she talked to the computer and her inner monolouges on the elevators...i'd love to see more of her personality.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
I was not impressed visually.
dese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 dese1
Member since 2007 • 447 Posts

agree

this preview got me less excited for the game

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

To say you didn't like the visuals from a heavily compressed streaming video isn't exactly surprising.

To base any impressions about the game on that video is also the wrong thing to do.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I didn't bother to download the preview channel thing. It simply didn't interest me.
mariohalo12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mariohalo12
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
metroid came out b4 halo theyre 2 entirely diff. games metroid cant look like halo i didnt download the preview yet it looks decent
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts
What got my attention most was the bad graphics. This went from first on the list for this month to about third.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy

What got my attention most was the bad graphics. This went from first on the list for this month to about third.Conjuration

Did you not see my post about the compressed video?

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

What got my attention most was the bad graphics. This went from first on the list for this month to about third.Conjuration

Compressed videos, do you know that?

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I didn't bother to download the preview channel thing. It simply didn't interest me.bluezy

Well, it's free.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Conjuration

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]What got my attention most was the bad graphics. This went from first on the list for this month to about third.Jaysonguy

If it's compressed. wouldn't it look better than normal? Guess not...?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]What got my attention most was the bad graphics. This went from first on the list for this month to about third.Conjuration

No it's the oppsoite

When you compress something you need to take out virdeo and sound information to make it fit. That means what we're seeing is downgraded and the finsihed product will look AND sound better then that video by a great margin.

That video is heavily compressed so it'll come up quickly for almost everyone streaming it.

0v3rcl0ck3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 0v3rcl0ck3d
Member since 2006 • 921 Posts

Why oh why cant the rest of the world have this previews channel.

I need to do soemthing on my wii

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Conjuration
[QUOTE="Conjuration"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]What got my attention most was the bad graphics. This went from first on the list for this month to about third.Jaysonguy

No it's the oppsoite

When you compress something you need to take out virdeo and sound information to make it fit. That means what we're seeing is downgraded and the finsihed product will look AND sound better then that video by a great margin.

That video is heavily compressed so it'll come up quickly for almost everyone streaming it.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I knew it couldn't look THAT washed out.

0v3rcl0ck3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 0v3rcl0ck3d

Are the trailers liek ones weve seen or are they new?

If theyre new are they on youtube or seomthing?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaysonguy

Ok, thanks for the info.

I knew it couldn't look THAT washed out.

Conjuration

Yeah don't need to worry about it. It's going to be much crisper and sound a heck of a lot better in the actual game.

Happy to help out.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy

0v3rcl0ck3d

One is the main trailer made for the Wii so I don't know if you can find that one. The other one is a bridge battle so that might be online somwhere.

When it's soon to be released in your region you'll get these I bet so you're not going to miss out completely, you just have to wait until the game is closer to being released

sicario146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sicario146
Member since 2006 • 438 Posts
well i love it.i like the grafiqs and the gameplay look grate i cant wait.
0v3rcl0ck3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 0v3rcl0ck3d
[QUOTE="0v3rcl0ck3d"]

Jaysonguy

One is the main trailer made for the Wii so I don't know if you can find that one. The other one is a bridge battle so that might be online somwhere.

When it's soon to be released in your region you'll get these I bet so you're not going to miss out completely, you just have to wait until the game is closer to being released

I assume you mean teh bridge of then Federation ship and not an actual bridge lol.

Anyway I think ign has both videos

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jaysonguy

I assume you mean teh bridge of then Federation ship and not an actual bridge lol.

Anyway I think ign has both videos

0v3rcl0ck3d

lol

Awesome

0v3rcl0ck3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 0v3rcl0ck3d

Just watched it.

The trailer looks good but all the footage is old, except or the 2 seconds where she goes all hyper

flowingluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 flowingluc
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts
Hello, this game is freakin 30 hours!!!! U cant just judge a game with a simple trailer. It just wanted to show some shooting for the noobish casual gamer.
fitzokoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 fitzokoli
Member since 2005 • 3236 Posts
Thanks alot guys about the compression tidbit, i was about to say it looked kinda worse than MP1 and 2...
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
[QUOTE="bluezy"]I didn't bother to download the preview channel thing. It simply didn't interest me.chris3116
Well, it's free.

But there's no point if i'm not interested in the preview itself. It's just like the upcoming Check Mii Out channel. I have zero interest in it. So i won't download it. I'm fairly excited for Prime 3 itself, just not in any previews for it.
16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
Strange. Other previews I've read said the game to be non-linear, but has less back-tracking.
Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Toribor
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts

Firstly I must say this, I have been worried about this game being too linear for a while now but this preview as showed me that I may be right. We see Samus defending a besieged city from aliens, much like a level from Halo. In fact, I start to wonder if this game is trying to be like Halo.

Next is the graphics and design. I was quite disappointed with what I saw. Watching videos on IGN showed me that the game took a huge leap in visuals since last year, but this video reminded me of the underwhelming footage from E3 '06. It wasn't just the technical graphics either, everything just looked uninspired. The beseiged city looked like the stereotypical, generic metropolis of the future. Even Halo 2's version of a futuristic city was more intesting in my opinion. It is disappointing to see this after seeing the jaw-dropping areas of the past Metroid Prime games.

What did you guys think?Emmenite7

I really have to agree. Besides, I was really hoping for a demo, not just videos...

gerardinsito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gerardinsito
Member since 2006 • 360 Posts
Maybe that was only for the compression in the videos needed for the massively distribution...
d_eM_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 d_eM_s
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
The movie kept buffering for me so I just gave up. From what I saw though... it was severely compressed. It looked pretty bad but I did like the voice acting. I've been waiting since MP1 for voice acting and finally we get it.
lilarchie232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 lilarchie232
Member since 2007 • 223 Posts
Metriod isn't becoming too much like halo! Lets see master chief roll up in a little ball huh! The metroid series has been along for ages and halo, is a recently new one. Just cause there's aliens jumping out of ships with shields doesn't mean its like halo.
Sumhalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sumhalo
Member since 2004 • 357 Posts

Firstly I must say this, I have been worried about this game being too linear for a while now but this preview as showed me that I may be right. We see Samus defending a besieged city from aliens, much like a level from Halo. In fact, I start to wonder if this game is trying to be like Halo.

Next is the graphics and design. I was quite disappointed with what I saw. Watching videos on IGN showed me that the game took a huge leap in visuals since last year, but this video reminded me of the underwhelming footage from E3 '06. It wasn't just the technical graphics either, everything just looked uninspired. The beseiged city looked like the stereotypical, generic metropolis of the future. Even Halo 2's version of a futuristic city was more intesting in my opinion. It is disappointing to see this after seeing the jaw-dropping areas of the past Metroid Prime games.

What did you guys think?Emmenite7

What I think? Just shut up, wait to play it, your wayyyyyy too hard after the game.

brownthrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 brownthrilla
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts
Well organizations like Gamespot and IGN get special stuff that is similar quality to what the acutaly quality is. Demos usually have worse quality(grpahics) so that you aren't exactly satisfied. Remember, a preview is not the final thing.
monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts
dont really like the metroid games and this one looks just like a standard metroid game to mekingtahktahkhuk
yeah i know right!! it looks just like an average videogame nothing much stands out
Emmenite7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Emmenite7
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts
One level showed some sort of city being attacked by Space Pirates.  I just feel like there can't be much exploration in a level like that.  I hope this game doesn't end up like Hunters.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts
The trailer seemed interesting, but the gameplay video seemed monotonous.
Popplethe3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Popplethe3rd
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts
One level showed some sort of city being attacked by Space Pirates. I just feel like there can't be much exploration in a level like that. I hope this game doesn't end up like Hunters.Emmenite7

Umm.. Well.. I totally disagree... If they made it like a real "city" how could itNOT have exploration in it >_>... Imagine in real life, walking into a strange city, without a map, or a way to ask direction. I dont get how you could think that it couldnt hold exploration.
youxknowitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 youxknowitt
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts
people talking about quality. when you download, your only downloading the viewer software i believe. the gameplay footage is being streamed online.
-Despacio-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -Despacio-
Member since 2002 • 1881 Posts

Why release a preview that will only give you access to badly compressed video that makes the game look ugly. I'm glad this is just limited to Wii owners because I'd hate to see a majority of people think the game looks ugly after watching these terribly compressed videos.

Instead of wasting money on this channel, they should have put it towards commercials, where the visuals could shine in all their glory. Or maybe a new commercial like this classic:

Metroid Prime Live Action Commercial

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
well lets see... you see like what? 3 minutes of footage? you cant judge a game by that, only technical grfx could even be considered to be debated through the preview. not enough was shown to make assumptions. therefore graphic wise, it looks decent, on par with some high end xbox1 games.