How has pokemon changed since Gold/Silver?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I have not played a pokemon game since Gold/Silver (owned Blue, Gold, and Silver) and am very interested in getting back into the series with X/Y. My question is, what has changed? What has been added and taken away?

Thanks for the answers! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Depends on the game which concepts they've kept. I'll compared to B2/W2, since we know so little about X/Y. -Around 400+ more Pokemon -Running shoes for faster movement -Natures for Pokemon that effect how their stats grow -abilities for Pokemon, sort of standing effects they have in battle. For example, a Pokemon with 'Intimidate' will lower the opponents attack on entry to the battle, and a Pokemon with 'Levitate' will be immune to ground type moves, regardless of type. -Double, Triple and Rotation battles, all with their own rule set. Not drastically different from normal battles, but can be fun. -Moves are now classified as Physical and Special (or effect), instead of being dependant on types. -The berry system has been refined greatly over the years. -The whole day/night system has been a little odd. It was absent in Gen 3, back in gen 4 and added seasons in Gen 5. -Pokemon now animate (a little) while in battle. -TMs have infinite usage as of gen 5. -online trading and battling is now a thing. --------------- That should cover a lot of it...in the meantime, you may decide to pick up Heartgold or Soulsilver. Would be a great way to jump back in for you while you wait for X/Y.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

I think Darkspineslayer hit most of them, but to expand:

Natures will increase one stat by 10% and reduce another stat by 10% (excluding HP). There are 5 natures that have no effect on stats. Generally you don't have to worry about this unless you're doing competitive battling (online, Battle Frontier/Subway, PWT, etc...).

Physical and Special moves depend on your Attack/Defense and Sp Attack/Sp Defense respectively. It generally works fairly logically (E.g., Hyper Beam is a special move and Fire Punch is a physical move).

There is also EVs/IVs, which you shouldn't bother with unless you're doing competitive. Even then, I still wouldn't bother with IVs because they're a clusterfvck, but it means you'll end up at a slight disadvantage. There are some good EV training guides online if you want to play competitive, and they're pretty much required to do well. They're not that hard once you get the hang of them though.

Also with Gen V, there are hidden abilities which are special abilities Pokemon won't normally have in the wild. You can get these Pokemon through events, certain in-game areas, or good ol' trading. Only females can pass on their ability through breeding, and not when paired with a Ditto.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaveedLife

Depends on the game which concepts they've kept. I'll compared to B2/W2, since we know so little about X/Y. -Around 400+ more Pokemon -Running shoes for faster movement -Natures for Pokemon that effect how their stats grow -abilities for Pokemon, sort of standing effects they have in battle. For example, a Pokemon with 'Intimidate' will lower the opponents attack on entry to the battle, and a Pokemon with 'Levitate' will be immune to ground type moves, regardless of type. -Double, Triple and Rotation battles, all with their own rule set. Not drastically different from normal battles, but can be fun. -Moves are now classified as Physical and Special (or effect), instead of being dependant on types. -The berry system has been refined greatly over the years. -The whole day/night system has been a little odd. It was absent in Gen 3, back in gen 4 and added seasons in Gen 5. -Pokemon now animate (a little) while in battle. -TMs have infinite usage as of gen 5. -online trading and battling is now a thing. --------------- That should cover a lot of it...in the meantime, you may decide to pick up Heartgold or Soulsilver. Would be a great way to jump back in for you while you wait for X/Y.darkspineslayer

It all sounds great! :)

So there are seasons in gen 5? Do they change over time (if so how much time is a season) or is it just changed depending where you are in the story?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife

I think Darkspineslayer hit most of them, but to expand:

Natures will increase one stat by 10% and reduce another stat by 10% (excluding HP). There are 5 natures that have no effect on stats. Generally you don't have to worry about this unless you're doing competitive battling (online, Battle Frontier/Subway, PWT, etc...).

Physical and Special moves depend on your Attack/Defense and Sp Attack/Sp Defense respectively. It generally works fairly logically (E.g., Hyper Beam is a special move and Fire Punch is a physical move).

There is also EVs/IVs, which you shouldn't bother with unless you're doing competitive. Even then, I still wouldn't bother with IVs because they're a clusterfvck, but it means you'll end up at a slight disadvantage. There are some good EV training guides online if you want to play competitive, and they're pretty much required to do well. They're not that hard once you get the hang of them though.

Also with Gen V, there are hidden abilities which are special abilities Pokemon won't normally have in the wild. You can get these Pokemon through events, certain in-game areas, or good ol' trading. Only females can pass on their ability through breeding, and not when paired with a Ditto.

metroidfood

The whole IV/EV thing confuses me (only read people talking about it on here) and concerns me :P.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 metroidfood

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Depends on the game which concepts they've kept. I'll compared to B2/W2, since we know so little about X/Y. -Around 400+ more Pokemon -Running shoes for faster movement -Natures for Pokemon that effect how their stats grow -abilities for Pokemon, sort of standing effects they have in battle. For example, a Pokemon with 'Intimidate' will lower the opponents attack on entry to the battle, and a Pokemon with 'Levitate' will be immune to ground type moves, regardless of type. -Double, Triple and Rotation battles, all with their own rule set. Not drastically different from normal battles, but can be fun. -Moves are now classified as Physical and Special (or effect), instead of being dependant on types. -The berry system has been refined greatly over the years. -The whole day/night system has been a little odd. It was absent in Gen 3, back in gen 4 and added seasons in Gen 5. -Pokemon now animate (a little) while in battle. -TMs have infinite usage as of gen 5. -online trading and battling is now a thing. --------------- That should cover a lot of it...in the meantime, you may decide to pick up Heartgold or Soulsilver. Would be a great way to jump back in for you while you wait for X/Y.NaveedLife

So there are seasons in gen 5? Do they change over time (if so how much time is a season) or is it just changed depending where you are in the story?

Change monthly. They don't really do much except for a few in-game areas that are only accessible during certain seasons (Twist Mountain being the most notable), and a few trainers that switch places/teams (Ferris Wheel).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Depends on the game which concepts they've kept. I'll compared to B2/W2, since we know so little about X/Y. -Around 400+ more Pokemon -Running shoes for faster movement -Natures for Pokemon that effect how their stats grow -abilities for Pokemon, sort of standing effects they have in battle. For example, a Pokemon with 'Intimidate' will lower the opponents attack on entry to the battle, and a Pokemon with 'Levitate' will be immune to ground type moves, regardless of type. -Double, Triple and Rotation battles, all with their own rule set. Not drastically different from normal battles, but can be fun. -Moves are now classified as Physical and Special (or effect), instead of being dependant on types. -The berry system has been refined greatly over the years. -The whole day/night system has been a little odd. It was absent in Gen 3, back in gen 4 and added seasons in Gen 5. -Pokemon now animate (a little) while in battle. -TMs have infinite usage as of gen 5. -online trading and battling is now a thing. --------------- That should cover a lot of it...in the meantime, you may decide to pick up Heartgold or Soulsilver. Would be a great way to jump back in for you while you wait for X/Y.NaveedLife

IIRC, they cycle once a month, January is winter, Febuary is spring, March is summer, ect. That was an example, since I don't know what months are what season off the top of my head.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metroidfood

The whole IV/EV thing confuses me (only read people talking about it on here) and concerns me :P.

NaveedLife

Just ignore IVs/EVs/Natures until after you beat the game. Then if you decide you want to do the Battle Frontier/Battle Subway/PWT or online play it's easier to breed a team of Pokemon then and mess around with that stuff. You can also skip the hassle and just play a simulator like Pokemon Showdown.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

metroidfood

Just ignore IVs/EVs/Natures until after you beat the game. Then if you decide you want to do the Battle Frontier/Battle Subway/PWT or online play it's easier to breed a team of Pokemon then and mess around with that stuff. You can also skip the hassle and just play a simulator like Pokemon Showdown.

I am a completionist and perfectionist in games like this, that is all :P.

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
So how about some noob tips for IV/EV training?
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

It hasn't.

Lol.

The core philosophy and game structure are there.

Get 8 badges,defeat Elite 4.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It hasn't.

Lol.

GreekGameManiac
The structure/format the games have not changed, but everything else has.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

It hasn't.

Lol.

ANIMEguy10034
The structure/format the games have not changed, but everything else has.

Don't bother with him. He thinks Pokemon shouldn't be Pokemon anymore, and your dumb if you think he's wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
So how about some noob tips for IV/EV training?Moloch121
Get the power items ASAP and look for a decent guide on Gamefaqs or Seribii. The quick and dirty explanation wouldn't do any good.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Um... The biggest thing is that, if you're serious about being competitive, EV's and IV's are a must and the game has become uber grindy. (Again, only if you want to seriously compete.) Other than that, nothing too much worth noting. Obviously each gen has new features and whatnot, but there's nothing too game changing aside from EV's and IV's.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 metroidfood

So how about some noob tips for IV/EV training?Moloch121

1. Get Pokerus

2. Get the Power items

There are plenty of good guides on actual EV training that can explain it better than anyone here, just make sure to have those two things and it'll make EV training a breeze.

You can't train IV's, if you don't want to spend soul-sucking hours trying to get the perfect Pokemon I recommend just hatching several Pokemon with the nature you want and taking them to guy in the Battle Subway then picking the one he says has the best stats.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="Moloch121"]So how about some noob tips for IV/EV training?metroidfood

1. Get Pokerus

2. Get the Power items

There are plenty of good guides on actual EV training that can explain it better than anyone here, just make sure to have those two things and it'll make EV training a breeze.

You can't train IV's, if you don't want to spend soul-sucking hours trying to get the perfect Pokemon I recommend just hatching several Pokemon with the nature you want and taking them to guy in the Battle Subway then picking the one he says has the best stats.

from what you guys are saying, I cannot tell if these are awesome or terrible :P. I just want to be able to play online and be good. Why would I want to have lesser pokemon? lol I want to own! ;)

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metroidfood

from what you guys are saying, I cannot tell if these are awesome or terrible :P. I just want to be able to play online and be good. Why would I want to have lesser pokemon? lol I want to own! ;)

NaveedLife

I am of the opinion that IVs are a waste of time and space, and the game would be better off without them. But if you absolutely want to have good IVs then look up an IV breeding guide. Generally you really only need perfect 31s in your main attacking stat and speed, but even then it's going to take a long time to find the right Pokemon to breed, especially if you need a specific nature/egg move.

There's also no way to get perfect IV legendaries unless you learn how to RNG.

But like I said, IVs are more of a pain than they're worth. With the exception of speed ties they probably won't matter much in game and a good team/strategy is far more important in the long run. Just breeding a couple and using the best out of the bunch will save you from doing a lot of tedious grinding.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
In all seriousness forget about EV training. I do it simply because after I had done everything else I wanted something to waste time on. The average player that you might bump into isn't likely to have EV trained Pokemon. I used to have a couple guys on campus that played Pokemon, I was the only one with EV trained Pokemon, but I never felt like I had a big advantage. Mostly just knowing how to play will do it for you, the strategy is the most important part.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaveedLife

huh. well ok. I dont understand it at all, so I will research it sometime. I think of it as how I was in Diablo II, getting my Etheral Vortex Exile (high end, etheral, runeworded shield) and how stats differ from shield to shield and runeword to runeword, so rolling a perfect one is crazy hard, but I pretty much got one (trading), though it was missing a defense point or two :P.

Anyway, what is up with the shiny pokemon? I remember seeing a couple years ago when I played G/S. Are they still in the games? How rare are they? Are they different from normal versions?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

huh. well ok. I dont understand it at all, so I will research it sometime. I think of it as how I was in Diablo II, getting my Etheral Vortex Exile (high end, etheral, runeworded shield) and how stats differ from shield to shield and runeword to runeword, so rolling a perfect one is crazy hard, but I pretty much got one (trading), though it was missing a defense point or two :P.

Anyway, what is up with the shiny pokemon? I remember seeing a couple years ago when I played G/S. Are they still in the games? How rare are they? Are they different from normal versions?

NaveedLife

They do still appear, but with something like a 1/8128 chance of seeing one in every encounter. They don't necessarily have anything over regular Pokemon besides trade value. B/W2 introduced a few methods of evening the odds, but still really not worth hunting for.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

darkspineslayer

They do still appear, but with something like a 1/8128 chance of seeing one in every encounter. They don't necessarily have anything over regular Pokemon besides trade value. B/W2 introduced a few methods of evening the odds, but still really not worth hunting for.

Cool, I like that. It is just cool to have them.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

black and white added in difficulty modes which you can unlock after you beat the game

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Damn this thread... I've also have to play Pokemon since Silver/Gold. Now I'm all hyped once again... might get a 3DS sooner than expected...

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreekGameManiac

Yeah darkspineslayer,because your opinion is like the ooonly one that counts.

:roll:

It's changed alright,just not as much as it should,or the WAYS it should.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 metroidfood

Yeah darkspineslayer,because your opinion is like the ooonly one that counts.

:roll:

It's changed alright,just not as much as it should,or the WAYS it should.

GreekGameManiac

gaemfreek pls makk thre-d pokman mmo liek skyrem wit all da rigions nd da pokemans run arund n stuf

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreekGameManiac

gaemfreek pls makk thre-d pokman mmo liek skyrem wit all da rigions nd da pokemans run arund n stuf

metroidfood

Hahahahaha.

Yeah,that'd be nice actually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

GreekGameManiac

Hahahahaha.

Yeah,that'd be nice actually.

He was clearly mocking you.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreekGameManiac

That's funny,cause WE are the ones that should do the mocking.

"oh,lewk at mi i iz branwshed by Nintendoh,and haz to buy Pokeman gaimz evry taim cuz tey ar teh stuffz"

>_>

EV training is super tedious.

And from what i get,one of the main reasons you like it is cause you can battle with other ppl using your favourite Pokemon.

But most of it is boring.

Laughable story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

That's funny,cause WE are the ones that should do the mocking.

"oh,lewk at mi i iz branwshed by Nintendoh,and haz to buy Pokeman gaimz evry taim cuz tey ar teh stuffz"

>_>

EV training is super tedious.

And from what i get,one of the main reasons you like it is cause you can battle with other ppl using your favourite Pokemon.

But most of it is boring.

Laughable story.

GreekGameManiac
Who are you to call others brainwashed for liking a certain series? People who enjoy the games shouldn't play them because you think the series should go in a different direction? God help all the Call of Duty players then. A single Pokemon generation usualy brings more innovation that the entire CoD series post Modern Warfare. EV training can be very tedious, yet it isn't something a typical player will ever really need to worry about. It's there for that added depth that Pokemon Is all to often accused of lacking. The story is clearly not to be taken super seriously. Many other RPGs fill that niche. And boring is a mater of perspective. I consider most FPS titles to be very boring, and accept I'm in the minority there.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreekGameManiac

Who are you to call others brainwashed for liking a certain series? People who enjoy the games shouldn't play them because you think the series should go in a different direction? God help all the Call of Duty players then. A single Pokemon generation usualy brings more innovation that the entire CoD series post Modern Warfare. EV training can be very tedious, yet it isn't something a typical player will ever really need to worry about. It's there for that added depth that Pokemon Is all to often accused of lacking. The story is clearly not to be taken super seriously. Many other RPGs fill that niche. And boring is a mater of perspective. I consider most FPS titles to be very boring, and accept I'm in the minority there.darkspineslayer

You're right on that,you either like or don't like Pokemon.

But my point is there are RPGs that are much better,esp. on the story dep.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 metroidfood

GreekGameManiac

If you're playing Pokemon for the story I feel sorry for you son, I got 99 problems but a plot ain't one.

Hakumen21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hakumen21
Member since 2013 • 359 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

NaveedLife

Don't worry about EV and IV's unless you're going for competetive battling. I prefer the solo-story myself. also, if you happen to miss Gold/Silver, they have remakes called Heart Gold and Soul Silver. easily the best in the series in my opinion.

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

metroidfood

If you're playing Pokemon for the story I feel sorry for you son, I got 99 problems but a plot ain't one.

Kanto and Johto's stories actually sucked me in. both stories were very engaging to me at the time.

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="Moloch121"]So how about some noob tips for IV/EV training?NaveedLife

1. Get Pokerus

2. Get the Power items

Here's a quick run down for you:

Each Pokemon has an IV (Individual Value) for each stat, ranging between 0-31, which cannot be changed from when you first encounter the Pokemon or get an egg. IVs determine how good, or bad, each stat is.

The best way to find out your Pokemons IVs is to search for an IV calculator online.

It's not impossible to get a "perfect" Pokemon through breading, just very close to impossible. So it's best to just try to get the best in 1 or 2 stats if you want to go down that road.

Now EVs (Effort Value) are where things get a little more confusing and EV training can take a LOT of time.

Each Pokemon can get a total of 510 EVs and a max of 255 EVs for any one stat. You get a +1 stat point for every 4 EVs trained in that stat (4 Attack EVs = +1 Attack). The most EVs you want to train in any stat is 252 for a total of +63 points in that stat, if you train the other 3 EVs they will just go to waste as 3 EVs will get you nothing.

You get EVs by beating Pokemon in the wild or from trainer battles (if you get XP from a fight you will also get EVs). The EVs you get depend on what Pokemon you fight, e.g. Audino gives 2 EVs for HP and Patrat gives 1 EV for Attack.

There are items that can help you EV train faster like the Power items and there's also PokeRUS which doubles the EVs you get from battles. There are also ways to reset a Pokemons EVs in B/W and B2/W2.

That's a quick guide, if you want to find out more it'll be best to seach for a more in-depth guide.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Btw I wanted to ask...

So I just got a 3ds XL... am thinking of buying pokemon black 2. The thing is that someone suggested that I should play first the original Black version and only after jump on Black 2. What do you think? Is it worth... what's the difference between black and black 2?

Please note that the last Pokemon game I played was Silver.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Btw I wanted to ask...

So I just got a 3ds XL... am thinking of buying pokemon black 2. The thing is that someone suggested that I should play first the original Black version and only after jump on Black 2. What do you think? Is it worth... what's the difference between black and black 2?

Please note that the last Pokemon game I played was Silver.

V3rciS
Go ahead and play Black 2. Whoever told you to play Black first probably thought the story in Black was worth a damn. It's still Pokemon, you won't miss anything.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreekGameManiac

Go ahead and play Black 2. Whoever told you to play Black first probably thought the story in Black was worth a damn. It's still Pokemon, you won't miss anything.darkspineslayer

Most honest,non-fanboyish thing you've said in a long time.

You sure you feeling ok?

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Pokemon. -release Pokemon -wait to sell 6 billion copies -click Pokemon name generator -repeat
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
last game i played was pokemon ruby.. picked mudkip and powered my way through with just him.. by the time i reached the elite 4, i had a lvl 87 swampert, a lvl 45 shiftry, a lvl 23 tropius (needed fly) and lvl 4 zigzagoon (HM cut very useful on him) and yeah had that legendary lava dude.. groudon i think arnd 50. got my ass handed in the second rnd of elite 4 (think it was pheobe) didnt bother with contest, candy creations, safari and blah blah.. so yeah if u play like me,, all the pokemon games would be exactly the same as gold/silver :P