hopefully the next nintendo handheld has cube ps2 graphics or better

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 preitje
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts

because I can't wait for that to happen ;)

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

It's always a balance between hardware and trying to keep the handhelds and in this particular case trying not to encroach too much on the Wii.

I wonder though, is the majority of 2d goodness available only because most developers can't get very good results in 3d on the DS? Or is it a choice? I'd hate to see the largely 2d games that characterise handhelds dissapear simply because the technology moved on. That would make handheld gaming simple a console-lite experience rather than something unique in its own right.

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

Well, that is the logical next step.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts

They've already proven they don't need to be on the bleeding edge of tech to sell well in the handheld market, long before they did so in the console world. I could see it (the next handheld) being roughly as powerful as a PSP, MAYBE just a hair more. Hopefully, they use hella advanced compression tech to push out the equivalent of a "lite" version right out of the gate, and have a small HDD on it, and spread the Virtual Console love.

It seems the Wii will get one soon, as Reggie just recently tried to download a new VC game and said "Huh, man I'm out of room, why won't Nintendo make a HDD for the Wii, 512MB isn't enough, those freaking idi... wait a second...I work for Nintendo! Yay!" Super Metroid on the go, since they were too lazy to do a GBA port for some reason, would be cool.

bpatrick025741

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bpatrick025741
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

The best graphics do not mean better games! Does Mario need the latest and greatest Nvidia or ATI card to be fun or good game design? Some of you might have problems at the university!

kingkui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 kingkui
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts
Gameboy = NES GBA = SNES DS + N64 so wouldn't it be logical for the next Nintendo handheld = GC?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Cube? Maybe. PS2 no.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

if it can still be considered a handheld, and dont use those PSP CDs...

DS cards FTW

hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts

The best graphics do not mean better game!

bpatrick025741

This is true, the DS's superior number of sales over the PSP proves this too.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
TBH I'd prefer a design that differed from the GC, for instance, more video memory for textures (the GC major weakness, even the DC was better at rendered textures at higher resolutions, albeit fewer of them with less detail, or at least that is the way it looks). Though of course what is of utmost importance is speed on a handheld.
SonOfTheSky05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SonOfTheSky05
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

Cube? Maybe. PS2 no.siLVURcross

You do know the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, right?

Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
fun game play comes first, graphics are only second.
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Cube? Maybe. PS2 no.SonOfTheSky05

He obviously does not know this common knowledge...

I would expect the hardware of the next handheld to fall somewhere below gamecube, but above n64. A bit weaker than a dreamcast maybe? We will see.

Or nintendo could go the opposite way, and only make it slightly more powerful, but have more innovation, similar to wii.
preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 preitje

No, in a lot of cases, you are probably wright. But I think it's another thing if game developers try to make a big, full 3d world, but you can't take it serious because of the lame graphics.. The game can be great, but in that case it just takes away a bit (a bit) of the fun. don't you think?

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 preitje

The best graphics do not mean better games! Does Mario need the latest and greatest Nvidia or ATI card to be fun or good game design? Some of you might have problems at the university!

bpatrick025741

No, in a lot of cases, you are probably wright. But I think it's another thing if game developers try to make a big, full 3d world, but you can't take it serious because of the lame graphics.. The game can be great, but in that case it just takes away a bit (a bit) of the fun. don't you think?

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 preitje
but the psp just has a lot of lame games...
preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 preitje
[QUOTE="bpatrick025741"]

The best graphics do not mean better game!

hama666

This is true, the DS's superior number of sales over the PSP proves this too.

but the psp just has a lot of lame games...
And not such a big group of human targets.

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 preitje

fun game play comes first, graphics are only second.Jdog30

u-huh, but second is also really imortant, no?

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 preitje
[QUOTE="SonOfTheSky05"]

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Cube? Maybe. PS2 no.diped

He obviously does not know this common knowledge...

I would expect the hardware of the next handheld to fall somewhere below gamecube, but above n64. A bit weaker than a dreamcast maybe? We will see.

Or nintendo could go the opposite way, and only make it slightly more powerful, but have more innovation, similar to wii.

I hope not..
In my imaginationnn... *dreamy* the new handheld will be as good as ps3 or better with huuuggggeeee worlds and possibilities... that would be amaaaazingg...

wow and ofcourse there would only be very very good games with very low prices because everyone wants them and than the developers don't need to ask so much money for us because they make a lot of money anyway...

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 preitje

I wish my wish came true.

SonOfTheSky05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SonOfTheSky05

Am I the only one who is in no hurry for "the next DS"? I think the current system has plenty of life left in it and we've hit that sweet spot where developers know all the nuances of the system to milk the best games possible out of the hardware.

Having said that, I really hope Nintendo doesn't focus too heavily on graphics in the next handheld (which, all indications point to they won't). As I believe someone before me had mentioned, I don't want the handheld market to just because "console light". Give me more features instead. Dual touchscreens, a touchscreen that accepts input from more than one point at a time, a tilt sensor, and whatever else Nintendo can dream up is what I want. It's all about the innovation :) Also, as another member posted above me, the system has to be cartridge/card based (no discs) and have excellent battery life. That's my wishlist.

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 preitje

Am I the only one who is in no hurry for "the next DS"? I think the current system has plenty of life left in it and we've hit that sweet spot where developers know all the nuances of the system to milk the best games possible out of the hardware.

Having said that, I really hope Nintendo doesn't focus too heavily on graphics in the next handheld (which, all indications point to they won't). As I believe someone before me had mentioned, I don't want the handheld market to just because "console light". Give me more features instead. Dual touchscreens, a touchscreen that accepts input from more than one point at a time, a tilt sensor, and whatever else Nintendo can dream up is what I want. It's all about the innovation :) Also, as another member posted above me, the system has to be cartridge/card based (no discs) and have excellent battery life. That's my wishlist.

SonOfTheSky05

Oh I want that tooo!! but also good graphics :D

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

DS cards FTW

BrunoBRS

Cd's or umds have more space and can handle better graphics, this is why the ps1 had some better looking games than the n64, also it introduces load times but thats a scarifice iw ould take

Rockhopper_45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Rockhopper_45
Member since 2007 • 1045 Posts

bpatrick025741
they wouldnt own nintendo games if they didnt already know that. Graphics however do enhance the overall experience when playing a game.
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts

SonOfTheSky05
I hope the DS keeps getting games for a good 5 years and that nintendo doesn't make a new system, i'd rather just this system stay alive. I don't want a new handheld, i want new games on this one in stead.
SonOfTheSky05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SonOfTheSky05
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

DS cards FTW

Djmaster214

Cd's or umds have more space and can handle better graphics, this is why the ps1 had some better looking games than the n64, also it introduces load times but thats a scarifice iw ould take

CDs are also more fragile and, in addition to the "load times they introduce", they also put a serious drain on battery life. In my mind, that's a major no-no for a portable system

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

since we r talkin hope why not graphics like the 4 gen consols

DemonIced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DemonIced
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

SonOfTheSky05

What he said + a joystick and a harddrive to stock downloadable content, that would be a huge step forward.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
Over in Japan they have a thing more for 2d rather than 3d so I wouldn't be expecting too large a shift towards 3d graphics.
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
In the beginning, I was a bit annoyed at how a lot of the games were in 2D, looking like GBA games. I love 2D, so it was more the idea that the games looked like they were for the GBA that bugged me. At any rate, the graphics do need to be on par with that of the GC or maybe 1.5x better than the PS2. And there needs to be a way to move around in 3D environments without feeling inaccurate or awkward. Analog nub, please!
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
[QUOTE="Djmaster214"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

DS cards FTW

SonOfTheSky05

CDs are also more fragile and, in addition to the "load times they introduce", they also put a serious drain on battery life. In my mind, that's a major no-no for a portable system

Plus solid state memory has come down in price in the last few years. Multi-GB cards seem like a real possibility for their next system.

SirSnafflepuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SirSnafflepuss
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts
Whatever they decide to do, they had better keep the dual screens.
Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

Since game development is taking longer now and costs alot of money to achieve detailed and realistic worlds and characters, it's probably better for companies to stick to Wii and DS for another decade until they are in better positions to develop for HD consoles and so on. It's taken five years to get out Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy, imagine how long it will take for their successors.

preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 preitje

Since game development is taking longer now and costs alot of money to achieve detailed and realistic worlds and characters, it's probably better for companies to stick to Wii and DS for another decade until they are in better positions to develop for HD consoles and so on. It's taken five years to get out Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy, imagine how long it will take for their successors.

Ganados0

I don't want to wait 10 more years!! *cries*

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#35 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

Whatever they decide to do, they had better keep the dual screens.SirSnafflepuss

Wouldn't be a 'DS' without the dual screen!

RTS____EX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RTS____EX
Member since 2007 • 195 Posts
Hope that if that happens they still use sprites, and old-school games

The only good i see about it is more space for games, more than the 256 MB (at the moment) of maximum space used on the ds, thats mean extended gameplay and better inversion in games, and obviusly less stupid games.

The DS have a lot of bad games, but it have very epics games, like the recent FF IV
preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 preitje

Hope that if that happens they still use sprites, and old-school games

The only good i see about it is more space for games, more than the 256 MB (at the moment) of maximum space used on the ds, thats mean extended gameplay and better inversion in games, and obviusly less stupid games.

RTS____EX

I totally agree on these two remarks.

RTS____EX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RTS____EX
Member since 2007 • 195 Posts

SonOfTheSky05

Dual Dual Screen its weird, is better one large screen, with compability with the DS games.

And yes NOW you can actually deform a larger screen like the ds
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I hope Nintendo are more imaginative about their next handheld than some of the suggestions on here. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't do better myself, but if this is what we had to look forward to I wouldn't be impressed. It would be like reliving the past 10 years of gaming all over again. At least I hope they keep the touch screen, it's the key selling point of the console. Then maybe they could ditch the D-Pad and buttons, to make things a little more different still.
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts
There is no need for Nintendo to rush a predecessor for the DS because The DS is so revolutionary already that it can last 15 years. The DS is the new PS2.
preitje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 preitje

There is no need for Nintendo to rush a predecessor for the DS because The DS is so revolutionary already that it can last 15 years. The DS is the new PS2.Burning-Sludge

nooooooooooooooooo!!! not 15 yearsssss.... :( that would suk

get-some-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 get-some-pie
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
They need analog.
Avatar image for Stancel_Spencer
Stancel_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stancel_Spencer
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts

It will have GameCube-level graphics.

Game Boy/Game Boy Color - NES

Game Boy Advance - SNES

DS - N64

Next-gen Nintendo handheld - GameCube.

There will be more of a focus on 3D so they probably will have a thumbstick unlike before. I also hope they drop the dual screen in favor of a large screen. This doesn't mean they can't keep the touch screen as part of that. Of course they can...

vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts

I hope it has Gamecube graphics. The PSP has ported PS2 games for it.;)

I also want a web browser and multimedia content compatibility. The built in mic was a really good idea.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

DS cards FTW

Djmaster214

yea. now try to carry a pack of CDs without those boxes. its awful. its supposed to be portable. and CDs with covers is certainly NOT portable. Sd-like cards are.

leave power to the big ones.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 dazzzilla
Member since 2006 • 1246 Posts
Does it need the latest Nvidia or Ati :P, Wii has a ATi GPU in there anyways :P, well they will have to upgrade graphics, all you people say no they dont need to but would you buy another handheld with the exact same technical specs with just an adition of a HDD its rubbish that way you can keep back a bit but you cant just leave it the same no doubt it will move ahead how much? I dont know im expecting around the gamecube seeing DS had N64 quality + a bit more, dont come back at me saying but look at the wii .... Wii has 2-3x the power of a gamecube IT IS A SERIOUS UPGRADE, and with games like super mario galaxy it actually shows
shabulia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#47 shabulia
Member since 2004 • 2625 Posts
I have both the DS Lite and the PSP and I have to say the DS Lite has superior games even with the lack in graphical power. What I love about the DS Lite is that it is ideal for gaming on the go. Bringing in more advanced graphics seems inevitable, however unnecessary. The games are relatively low cost because they aren't cutting edge technology yet they have incredible gameplay. To me, that's what is most important. Graphically, I'm sure things will improve. But I think it would be wise for Nintendo to keep it simple and not push for a more expensive machine with more costly games because the technology demands it.
SUPER_FLY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SUPER_FLY_
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts
i agree 2
SUPER_FLY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SUPER_FLY_
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts
i agree 2
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

It will have GameCube-level graphics.

Game Boy/Game Boy Color - NES

Game Boy Advance - SNES

DS - N64

Next-gen Nintendo handheld - GameCube.

There will be more of a focus on 3D so they probably will have a thumbstick unlike before. I also hope they drop the dual screen in favor of a large screen. This doesn't mean they can't keep the touch screen as part of that. Of course they can...

Stancel_Spencer

How is it going to backwards compatible if its a PSP with a touchscreen and an analog stick?