HD Remake of Gamecube's Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is coming to Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts

I wonder why Nintendo is remaking Wind Waker when they could use the time and resources to work on other more important titles like Metroid Wii U or Kid Icarus Wii U or something entirely new and unique - an entirely new franchise....now that would be something to celebrate about. Currently, Nintendo does have plans to bring a brand new Zelda and Super Mario 3D to the Wii U, but no mention of Metroid :(

Nintendo seriously need to have more 3rd party support. Aren't we tired of seeing the same game franchise being promoted everytime Nintendo comes out with a new system? As much as I love Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, Metroid and Kid Icarus, but they're still essentially the same type of game year after year just with different treatment. I think I can speak for most of us that we want a new franchise for Wii U. Link, Mario and his Nintendo buddies are aging - Nintendo should give them a rest and bring in the new kids.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Different teams work on different games. The Zelda team is not responsible for making Metroid or Kid Icarus games.
The people behind Kid Icarus Uprising are busy developing Smash Bros, and no one knows what Retro Studios are up to.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Cool for those interested, but I've got the Gamecube version now so I wouldn't really need to pick this up unless there are improvements outside of the visuals (which look amazing btw)

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

The last couple metroid games haven't exactly been huge sellers. They are prolly still deciding what to do with metroid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
The best Zelda
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

HD TWW eh?

Well,that wasn't a surprise.

Now do TP & SS on HD.

Or MP Trilogy!

Or SMG2!

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Aren't we tired of seeing the same game franchise being promoted everytime Nintendo comes out with a new system? As much as I love Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, Metroid and Kid Icarus, but they're still essentially the same type of game year after year just with different treatment. I think I can speak for most of us that we want a new franchise for Wii U. Link, Mario and his Nintendo buddies are aging - Nintendo should give them a rest and bring in the new kids.

EastMagi

It's not of my concern as long as the games are good. I understand franchises getting stale after a certain amount of installments but Nintendo does them right by developing them sparingly while making them feel distinguished. It's exactly why Mario and Zelda are still relevant after 25 years and there is no sign of slowing down.

Besides that, I'm not sure why you're worried. WiiU's lineup is finally shaping up: Mario,Zelda U,Pikmin,Yoshi,Mario Kart,Smash Bros,Windwaker,Xenoblade 2,SMT x Fire Emblem,Rayman Legends,Wonderful 101,Monster Hunter Ultimate,Bayonetta 2,and Retro's secret project which it's safe to say it's going to be fantastic. Then there is some rumour that Miyamoto is working on a new IP.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's practice. They were porting all the older games to the Wii U just to mess around with graphical art styles for their new Zelda game. When they did WW, they noticed how "transformed" it was. So they're releasing that in the meantime. Essentially they're getting used to developing on the Wii U technically and for ideas with the game pad.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Well I'm happy that if their going to do a remake, that they do an actual REMAKE, not that upscaling garbage that was so prominent in the second half of this past gen, where the game looks and plays worst lol.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreekGameManiac

Well I'm happy that if their going to do a remake, that they do an actual REMAKE, not that upscaling garbage that was so prominent in the second half of this past gen, where the game looks and plays worst lol. Sepewrath

Oh?

Well,that's your opinion.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

this is just a bonus because if they had made an entirely new game it would have taken too long and we wouldn't be playing anything in its place this holiday which is the whole reason this remake exists, is because the Zelda dev teams new project is taking longer than expected

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts
They are probably releasing Wind Waker again to keep Zelda nuts occupied for the time it takes NIntendo to finish the new Zelda. People will complain otherwise.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Probably doesn't take many resources at all. Also, who's developing it? Probably Grezzo, who did Ocarina 3D. So I'd say it likely isn't hurting anything.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
They are probably releasing Wind Waker again to keep Zelda nuts occupied for the time it takes NIntendo to finish the new Zelda. People will complain otherwise.Litchie
That's pretty much what they said, I'm sure they noticed people aren't beating down the doors for Zelda on 3DS, possibly because OoT remake satiated them for awhile.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Remaking a game is easier than making a new one. When you can sell a remake that takes less effort for the same price and have people excited for it, why would they make a new one?
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreekGameManiac

Eh,looks very pretty,but...

No toon shading effect.

That DESTROYS TWW's purpose.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts
Remaking a game is easier than making a new one. When you can sell a remake that takes less effort for the same price and have people excited for it, why would they make a new one?Toxic-Seahorse
They are working on a new one :|.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]Remaking a game is easier than making a new one. When you can sell a remake that takes less effort for the same price and have people excited for it, why would they make a new one?Michael0134567

And that is relevant how? They're not being made by the same people (or are they? I'm not really sure) eve if it is, they're still spending time to remake windwaker, time that could be spent towards a new game. The reasoning is simple, a remake of such a beloved game will make more money since it will cost much less to make and everyone will still rush to buy it.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreekGameManiac

Different teams work on different games. The Zelda team is not responsible for making Metroid or Kid Icarus games.
The people behind Kid Icarus Uprising are busy developing Smash Bros, and no one knows what Retro Studios are up to.

ANIMEguy10034

They are making a new game,now if it's an already known franchise,or a new one..

Well...

Actually i think it may very well be Zelda or Starfox.

But Metroid chances are in,too.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

HD TWW eh?

Well,that wasn't a surprise.

Now do TP & SS on HD.

Or MP Trilogy!

Or SMG2!

GreekGameManiac

WW > TP / SS ;)

We have OoT remade and soon we will get WW and after that it will either be MM or ALTTP on 3DS.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NaveedLife

They are probably releasing Wind Waker again to keep Zelda nuts occupied for the time it takes NIntendo to finish the new Zelda. People will complain otherwise.Litchie

They basically said this. And yes, it does help ease the pain ;).

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Without new content, I can't bring myself to care.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreekGameManiac

Without new content, I can't bring myself to care. meetroid8

I'm sure they'll have something,.

:)

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife

the remake of graphics is enough for me, but I hope they change, fix, and add. I think Ocarina of Time is the closest to flawless so it didnt need much, but the others could use an overhaul in areas. They need to add more interesting stuff across the sea and make traveling easier / more fun.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]Remaking a game is easier than making a new one. When you can sell a remake that takes less effort for the same price and have people excited for it, why would they make a new one?Toxic-Seahorse

And that is relevant how? They're not being made by the same people (or are they? I'm not really sure) eve if it is, they're still spending time to remake windwaker, time that could be spent towards a new game. The reasoning is simple, a remake of such a beloved game will make more money since it will cost much less to make and everyone will still rush to buy it.

Zelda Remakes have been recently remade by Grezzo Games w/ EAD Tokyo co-developing them.

The Zelda team is EAD Group #3.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Without new content, I can't bring myself to care. NaveedLife

the remake of graphics is enough for me, but I hope they change, fix, and add. I think Ocarina of Time is the closest to flawless so it didnt need much, but the others could use an overhaul in areas. They need to add more interesting stuff across the sea and make traveling easier / more fun.

I want them to put in the Dungeon that they removed and replaced with the Tri-Force fetch quest.

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
I am super excited.... I love Wind Waker :D
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Without new content, I can't bring myself to care. Nintendo_Ownes7

I want them to put in the Dungeon that they removed and replaced with the Tri-Force fetch quest.

Uh,it was two dungeons.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
I am super excited.... I love Wind Waker :Dtrick_man01
That your favorite title in the series?
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 goblaa

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Without new content, I can't bring myself to care. Nintendo_Ownes7

Oh hellz yeah! Did they remove those dungeons because of space isues? If so, with the wiiu using essentially blu ray that shouldn't be an issue.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreekGameManiac

Oh hellz yeah! Did they remove those dungeons because of space isues? If so, with the wiiu using essentially blu ray that shouldn't be an issue.

goblaa

*sigh*

Not even close...

It's because they rushed to release the game.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Agreed! And make treasure hunting more rewarding. Currently it seems somewhat pointless for rupees. Oh they could add ship upgrades and make the boat faster and such! That would be cool in my opinion.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Agreed! And make treasure hunting more rewarding. Currently it seems somewhat pointless for rupees. Oh they could add ship upgrades and make the boat faster and such! That would be cool in my opinion.

That's a great idea...cut down on the tediousness of it until you get the Gales.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
Iwata said there would be tweaks, but he didn't specify in what areas. I doubt they'll do anything that takes a ton of work, but some of the more complained about aspects of Wind Waker could be changed pretty easily, like all the wasted time with sailing.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Without new content, I can't bring myself to care. JordanElek
Iwata said there would be tweaks, but he didn't specify in what areas. I doubt they'll do anything that takes a ton of work, but some of the more complained about aspects of Wind Waker could be changed pretty easily, like all the wasted time with sailing.

Well, one obvious tweak will have something to do with the Tingle Tuner item, which will most certainly use the Wii U Gamepad if it stays intact. Other than that, I don't see much being changed.

Wind Waker's my favorite Zelda ever, but I'm with meetroid8 on this one. Can't see myself paying $60 for a glorified visual upgrade to a game I could easily access, assuming I even had the system to play it on to begin with.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JordanElek

Wind Waker's my favorite Zelda ever, but I'm with meetroid8 on this one. Can't see myself paying $60 for a glorified visual upgrade to a game I could easily access, assuming I even had the system to play it on to begin with.Madmangamer364
That's fine, but I will, and like Iwata said, a lot of people never had a Gamecube, so it's more for them and huge fans of the game. When I consider everything in the game, I can think of so many things that I can't wait to see with upgraded, glorified visuals.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]Wind Waker's my favorite Zelda ever, but I'm with meetroid8 on this one. Can't see myself paying $60 for a glorified visual upgrade to a game I could easily access, assuming I even had the system to play it on to begin with.JordanElek

That's fine, but I will, and like Iwata said, a lot of people never had a Gamecube, so it's more for them and huge fans of the game. When I consider everything in the game, I can think of so many things that I can't wait to see with upgraded, glorified visuals.

Yeah I liked what Nintendo did with the New Play Control stuff on Wii, giving the many who never had a Gamecube the chance to play some of the great games on the system. I like the Wind Waker move too, i'd love it if I didn't JUST buy the Gamecube version :P

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]Wind Waker's my favorite Zelda ever, but I'm with meetroid8 on this one. Can't see myself paying $60 for a glorified visual upgrade to a game I could easily access, assuming I even had the system to play it on to begin with.JordanElek

I don't know... if it was simply about letting non-GCN owners play the game (which is kind of a strange point in itself, given that the Wii was backwards compatible), why not release the game on the VC at a fraction of the cost? That was certainly a viable alternative in which to make the Wind Waker experience more accessible, but I'm not sure if that particular goal was Nintendo's reason for doing this. Much like OoT on the 3DS, Nintendo just wanted to throw a Zelda game into the Wii U's mix to see who exactly would go ga-ga enough for it to buy the system, if you ask me. I've been a pretty big WW supporter from the very start, but I'm not falling for that one...

More power to those who will pick it up, though, and I hope everyone that plays it will enjoy it. Still can't help but get a bad vibe seeing Nintendo take the whole "HD Remake" route so soon and trying to make it a selling point, however.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JordanElek

I don't know... if it was simply about letting non-GCN owners play the game (which is kind of a strange point in itself, given that the Wii was backwards compatible), why not release the game on the VC at a fraction of the cost? That was certainly a viable alternative in which to make the Wind Waker experience more accessible, but I'm not sure if that particular goal was Nintendo's reason for doing this. Much like OoT on the 3DS, Nintendo just wanted to throw a Zelda game into the Wii U's mix to see who exactly would go ga-ga enough for it to buy the system, if you ask me.Madmangamer364
Considering the fact that they were using the Wind Waker as a technical test for the next Zelda game by updating the graphics, I guarantee that Nintendo is going to use this Wind Waker engine a TON internally to test things for the next full installment while they're still working on the engine for that game.

I think that Aonuma was telling the truth when he announced the game in the first place. They were testing graphical styles on the WiiU by recreating past Zelda games, and the Wind Waker turned out so well that they decided to do more with it than just recreate an area. Recreating the gameplay will let them work with the WiiU from a coding level as well, so they're going to put everything they learn towards the development of the new Zelda game.

So it's a win-win for Nintendo (and us, in the long run). They get some "easy" time with working with the WiiU in development terms, and they also get to sell the product of that time to people who have been BEGGING for a remake of this game for years and to people who might have never played it. I don't think their only reasoning was that they could sucker people into buying a cheap remake.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Madmangamer364

Considering the fact that they were using the Wind Waker as a technical test for the next Zelda game by updating the graphics, I guarantee that Nintendo is going to use this Wind Waker engine a TON internally to test things for the next full installment while they're still working on the engine for that game.

I think that Aonuma was telling the truth when he announced the game in the first place. They were testing graphical styles on the WiiU by recreating past Zelda games, and the Wind Waker turned out so well that they decided to do more with it than just recreate an area. Recreating the gameplay will let them work with the WiiU from a coding level as well, so they're going to put everything they learn towards the development of the new Zelda game.

So it's a win-win for Nintendo (and us, in the long run). They get some "easy" time with working with the WiiU in development terms, and they also get to sell the product of that time to people who have been BEGGING for a remake of this game for years and to people who might have never played it. I don't think their only reasoning was that they could sucker people into buying a cheap remake.

JordanElek

I SEE the point you're making (or at least I think I do). I just don't feel comfortable in BUYING it. I know that game engines only get more complex with each new system, so maybe there was something to using an older game as a base point in order to test how things should go moving forward. (I can't figure out why Nintendo just couldn't use those same resources to build an entirely new project, but whatever. lol) My previous point point was in response to your last reply, and simply put, if this was just about the demands of playing Wind Waker, which I really haven't seen much of, outside of people asking for a "New Play Control" version of it for the Wii, there were other, more cost-friendly ways of doing it.

Of course, if their Wind Waker test turned out as well Aonuma claims it did, giving the whole game the HD treatment would be a no-brainer from that point on. And while I can understand the developing angle, the potential of the game at retail ASAP speaks louder than what it could mean down the road for the series. Bottom line is that the Zelda name in and of itself is one of Nintendo's best selling points, and just getting ANY Zelda on the market for the Wii U is better than nothing at all, especially since the system is already starving for a system-selling game (even to the point of Iwata already apologizing for lack of software, despite the system's launch). There's no doubt in my mind that Nintendo went through with this 'test' because it was fully aware of where the Wii U was and what it could possibly take to improve momentum. Otherwise, this simple recreation wouldn't have gotten to this point, even if it did turn out with a favorable result.

It simply doesn't get any easier to understand than 'Zelda+HD Graphics=Attention', which is what Nintendo has gained in some extent because of WW Wii U's announcement. I won't argue your point that releasing an HD Remake wasn't Nintendo's only reason for doing this, but I'm confident in saying that it has become their main reason for getting it to this stage. It's not even that bad of a scenario, but I certainly don't see this as some love letter to fans, either, especially if it sells at the same price as any other Wii U game with minimal new content.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The HD remake of the Legend of Zelda seems to be Nintendo trying to see if they can follow the lead of Sony Which has discovered that people will buy HD remakes of PS2 games. Nintendo is remaking an HD version of a Gamecube game. If this is successful expect to see more Gamecube HD re-releases.

This version seems to be much brighter than the original. Wii have Mii-Verse support added. I'd rather Nintendo focus on the New Legend of Zelda HD game. If nintendo would just continue along the lines of that E3 tech demo.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 goblaa

The HD remake of the Legend of Zelda seems to be Nintendo trying to see if they can follow the lead of Sony Which has discovered that people will buy HD remakes of PS2 games. Nintendo is remaking an HD version of a Gamecube game. If this is successful expect to see more Gamecube HD re-releases.

This version seems to be much brighter than the original. Wii have Mii-Verse support added. I'd rather Nintendo focus on the New Legend of Zelda HD game. If nintendo would just continue along the lines of that E3 tech demo.

Megavideogamer

Well, I'm pretty sure they are "focusing" on a new HD zelda. Nintendo isn't one developer, they're many. Two completely different dev teams are working on these games.

As for the next zedla's visuals, they said they are doing a lot of experiments and are working on something totally new for the visuals. I highly doubt they will make an HD realistic zelda. They will most likely go for a more stylized look. Something more zedla-like.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreekGameManiac

And guys,don't forget,it doesn't have a cel shading effect anymore.

It's NOT the same without the cel shading effect.

It lost a big part of it's charm.