Goldeneye: N64 VS Wii

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

keiferm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 keiferm1
Member since 2010 • 109 Posts

Which one did you prefer?

Did you play the original N64?

Did you play the Wii Version?

Do you want the Wii version?

Comment Below!

BluesKing527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BluesKing527
Member since 2009 • 441 Posts
Loved the N64 version can't wait to get the Wii version!
Dusty8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dusty8
Member since 2010 • 318 Posts

I can't say yes or no yet. I have only played the single player and online, and so far the single player was better but I still need to try split screen.

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts
only played each about 20 min.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I enjoyed the Wii version when I rented it, however the pointer seemed kinda heavy and slow

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

The original I thought was a great game... when it came out. The N64 Goldeneye is extremely dated and I think it has aged rather poorly. I haven't played the Wii version yet but I'm sure I'll pick it up soon.

keiferm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 keiferm1
Member since 2010 • 109 Posts

I enjoyed the Wii version when I rented it, however the pointer seemed kinda heavy and slow

darth-pyschosis
Better with Classic Controller.
Dusty8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dusty8
Member since 2010 • 318 Posts

darth-pyschosis
I thought it was to fast, but all you need to do is change the settings.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I spent a lot of time with the original back in the day. I am getting the Wii version for Christmas and am looking forward to it. Looks like they took a good game and made it better in every way.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Overall I'd say the Wii version is faaaaar superior gameplay wise and thus is the better game imo hands down!

However once historical relevance and such is factored in the N64 is technically seen as a MUCH better/important game that will be held much higher and remembered much longer as such.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="keiferm1"][QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"] Better with Classic Controller.

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

Dusty8
I thought it was to fast, but all you need to do is change the settings.

It is really fast if you actually go into the settings and change the options. The default controls are pretty horrible, but there are lots of better preset options and you can customize all those.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

I like the Wii version a great bunch but there's no way I'm enjoying it more than the N64 version, my all-time favourite game.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Played original on n64. Played Wii version. I'm... mixed. I still like Pierce Brosnan as Bond over Craig, as Brosnan managed to still be suave and classy. Craig is more action oriented, but still too rough... and not the right 'bond' for this particular film. That being said, the campaign is indeed quite good, and challenging. new takes on the old levels make sense, and the progression is more logical, less disjointed in the new Wii version. That being said, I do recall it was a lot easier to do a pure stealth game on the n64 copy, which to me is what being a spy is all about. The Wii copy is actively trying to force me into sequences of more action and alarms, when I'm trying to AVOID setting off alarms and being flooded with baddies. And even with the added advantages of the CC Pro and the like, there were far too many instances where I was apparently spotted what feels like through a wall, or just being unfairly detected even when I was doing the right thing.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Right now goldeneye wii is a waaaaay better game than the N64 version,waaaaay better

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Which one did you prefer? Dunno yet.

Did you play the original N64? Yes.

Did you play the Wii Version? Not yet.

Do you want the Wii version? Yes. I will get it soon.

Comment Below!

keiferm1

I just got Metroid Other M and Donkey Kong. I'm keen to get this game pretty soon, and then I'll get Epic Mickey.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Obviously the N64 version is a bit rusty on today's standards, but it is definitely a better game.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Wii version has better online. nyah nyah
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

I enjoyed GE on N64 more, but GE Wii is good. Not being able to play with bots really sucks, though. Playing split-screen multi-player deathmatch with 1 or 2 friends is really boring. Even with 3 friends, it feels lonely. That few games implement bots nowadays is really sad. Not that GE on N64 had bots, but a game released today should have them.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts

I still prefer the N64 version myself, though I feel I have to point out that it isn't for nostalgic reasons. I feel the original has more interesting level design, a more interesting single player mode, which has an incredibly high replayability. It also feels more like its trying to be a game. The graphics are definately dated, and the controls aren't as easy to get used to anymore, but those are the only aspects that really need changing as they were limited by the console the game was designed for.

The new game is good. I did enjoy playing through the main game, but couldn't bring myself to do it twice. A few of the multiplayer maps are quite good too, but I find split-screen isn't as fun as the original for some reason. I prefered hunting for the good weapons on the map, rather than selecting them from the start. I liked that proximity mines could become annoying. I liked the fact that on some original maps, some areas were comparable to others, meaning screen-lookers were occasionally mis-lead. I liked how some maps gave you the opportunity to spot players you couldn't necessarily reach straight away. I liked the hollow walls you could hide in. I liked how you could find body armour to make things more interesting, rather than more predictable when going head-to-head against a single player. (That is to say rather than fighting on next to no health and expecting to die first).

As I say, I do like the Wii version. It's just a little too straight forward compared to the original.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

The Wii one was a great game that was bogged down by the framerate at times, and the online having lag. In addition they should have NEVER EVER EVER had any auto aim. Retro got it right in taking Auto Aim out of metroid prime 1 and 2 remakes, as the Wii remote is far more accurate. But Eurocom...did the opposite? Strange :P.

Also I think it would have been better had they included:

• weapon sets rather than loadouts
  • unlockables for time trials (how angry I was when I got nothing for beating the time trial :P
  • Slightly bigger multiplayer levels
  • and more

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I own both and have to say I still prefer the N64 version more.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Wii version has better online. nyah nyahOreoMilkshake
Definitely. The N64 Goldeneye online was virtually unplayable. :lol:

My take on Goldeneye, N64 was Excellent, The Wii Version is Excellent. Perfect Dark 64 NEEDS to be Reimagined on the Wii the same way they did Goldeneye with Online. If that ever happens, the Best FPS Ever will be made as Perfect Dark still holds it's own against Most of the FPS of Today (Not Visually of course).
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Well the N64 one was a small revolution when it came out in 1997 while this new one may be fun but it's just a remake of sorts.

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Wii version has better online. nyah nyahnini200

My take on Goldeneye, N64 was Excellent, The Wii Version is Excellent. Perfect Dark 64 NEEDS to be Reimagined on the Wii the same way they did Goldeneye with Online. If that ever happens, the Best FPS Ever will be made as Perfect Dark still holds it's own against Most of the FPS of Today (Not Visually of course).

Perfect Dark with online play and better graphics is on the XBLA.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I like the Wii version better. I have barely played the single player because I'm addicted to the online.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nini200

Well the N64 one was a small revolution when it came out in 1997 while this new one may be fun but it's just a remake of sorts.

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Wii version has better online. nyah nyahnameless12345

yeah but not better controls. Also, thats just a remake not a reimagining. A Perfect Dark 64 reimagining in the same vein of Goldeneye would be awesome.
TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

The original was alright. I wasn't a huge fan of it, but if everyone else wanted to play multiplayer, then I was usually down to join in.

That said, I have absolutely no interest in the remake, and from what I've seen, it doesn't even look remotely interesting at all.

ayumi_miyazaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ayumi_miyazaki
Member since 2009 • 221 Posts
did the wii hit 80 million consoles sold yet
flyingtorso2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 flyingtorso2
Member since 2010 • 790 Posts

It's very hard to compare a 20 year old game to a brand new game. If you would want to know what I would prefer to play now it would be the new Goldeneye because of the online multiplayer support.

Undead_Yakuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Undead_Yakuza
Member since 2010 • 222 Posts
The N64 version WAS my childhood... But it really hasn't aged that well, the gameplay just doesn't compete with modern games. Oh yeah, screw that Craig dude.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

It's very hard to compare a 20 year old game to a brand new game.

flyingtorso2
Whoa that's a little much. :P
knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

Wii version has better online. nyah nyahOreoMilkshake

haha that's what I was gonna say! :P

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AlmightyDerek

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="nini200"]

My take on Goldeneye, N64 was Excellent, The Wii Version is Excellent. Perfect Dark 64 NEEDS to be Reimagined on the Wii the same way they did Goldeneye with Online. If that ever happens, the Best FPS Ever will be made as Perfect Dark still holds it's own against Most of the FPS of Today (Not Visually of course).nini200

yeah but not better controls. Also, thats just a remake not a reimagining. A Perfect Dark 64 reimagining in the same vein of Goldeneye would be awesome.

Activision could do a reimagining of Goldeneye because it was based on a movie, Perfect Dark is completely owned by Rare/Microsoft. That's like Nintendo doing a reimagining of Halo. I'm pretty sure that isn't legal. Also the XBLA version of Perfect Dark does have better controls than the N64 game, just not as good as a Wii game. And to flyingtorso 2 Goldeneye is 13 years old not quite 20. Also on topic I think Goldeneye was a better game back in the day, but if I had to choose one of those games to play now, I'd pick the Wii one. Goldeneye N64 is pretty much unplayable nowadays.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

Comment Below!

keiferm1
n64 was amazing for 90ths.Is trash now. wii one is good for 2010. i played both.own both.lost ge 64 10 years ago.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Eh, I liked the game back in the day, but I don't think it's very good by today's standards. Goldeneye was THE game for me on the N64, but since then I've played so many higher quality FPS games, across several systems, that it just doesn't seem very good any more. No doubt it's still a good Wii game though, and I'm glad they brought the franchise to the Wii. I just can't seem to enjoy it. :(
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nini200
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"]

[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Activision could do a reimagining of Goldeneye because it was based on a movie, Perfect Dark is completely owned by Rare/Microsoft. That's like Nintendo doing a reimagining of Halo. I'm pretty sure that isn't legal. Also the XBLA version of Perfect Dark does have better controls than the N64 game, just not as good as a Wii game. And to flyingtorso 2 Goldeneye is 13 years old not quite 20. Also on topic I think Goldeneye was a better game back in the day, but if I had to choose one of those games to play now, I'd pick the Wii one. Goldeneye N64 is pretty much unplayable nowadays.

So :P They need to work that out and get Perfect Dark on the rightful console, the Wii. :P True PDXBLA has better controls than the 64 but you know what I meant. :P Perfect Dark was lightyears better than Goldeneye both single and multiplayer. A reimaginging of Perfect Dark 64 with Wii controls would be the best FPS this gen period.
TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

For people saying the original didn't age well, I say that's BS. Those style of FPS are so superior to today's crap. Hell, the last good FPS I played was the original Halo.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

Let me answer your question with another question. Is ANYONE going to remember goldenye wii in 10-15 years?

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AlmightyDerek
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"]

[QUOTE="nini200"] yeah but not better controls. Also, thats just a remake not a reimagining. A Perfect Dark 64 reimagining in the same vein of Goldeneye would be awesome.nini200

So :P They need to work that out and get Perfect Dark on the rightful console, the Wii. :P True PDXBLA has better controls than the 64 but you know what I meant. :P Perfect Dark was lightyears better than Goldeneye both single and multiplayer. A reimaginging of Perfect Dark 64 with Wii controls would be the best FPS this gen period.

It would be better on the Wii, but unless Microsoft decides to sell Rare back to Nintendo it will never happen. The best thing that could happen is a "spiritual successor" to it, which is a game not officially affiliated with it, but carries the spirit of it. That's pretty much what the Timesplitters franchise was (it also had several high level ex Rare employees developing it). That's a series that needs to come back.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nameless12345

[QUOTE="keiferm1"]

Comment Below!

intro94

n64 was amazing for 90ths.Is trash now. wii one is good for 2010. i played both.own both.lost ge 64 10 years ago.

I wouldn't say it's "trash" now. Of course, the graphics look dated, the framerate isn't the best and the control may be quirky, but it still a fun game.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

[QUOTE="intro94"][QUOTE="keiferm1"]

Comment Below!

nameless12345

I wouldn't say it's "trash" now. Of course, the graphics look dated, the framerate isn't the best and the control may be quirky, but it still a fun game.

I agree with all that but also the game experience itself feels a lot more dated and not as balanced as todays shooters.

Not starting with a gun in MP, melee attacks taking like 15 hits to kill someone (this was a big one especially when you dont start with a gun), having to find all your health, ect.

Haven't played the game in a year but last time I did with 4 people I remember all those things hampering the gameplay and making it extremely unbalanced and un-fun :(Played a round and a half till everyone quite and moved on to another game.

Maybe some of those things could have been adjusted in settings? I'd change my mind on the game if I knew you could.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="intro94"] n64 was amazing for 90ths.Is trash now. wii one is good for 2010. i played both.own both.lost ge 64 10 years ago.kenakuma

I agree with all that but also the game experience itself feels a lot more dated and not as balanced as todays shooters.

Of course, the FPS genre is evolving fast. But I personally still like GE64 over, say, some boring (imo) Call of Duty copies.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Wii. I can take the rose glasses off. :P

Avatar image for billiethemancox
billiethemancox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 billiethemancox
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Pro for N64 - Bots. I'm sorry, but those bastards were the reasons friends and I played. They owned us, horribly. Which made the game fun in a sense. Con for the N64 - I still, to this day, don't know how to hold the dang N64 controller.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
[QUOTE="billiethemancox"]Pro for N64 - Bots. I'm sorry, but those bastards were the reasons friends and I played. They owned us, horribly. Which made the game fun in a sense. Con for the N64 - I still, to this day, don't know how to hold the dang N64 controller.

the n64 version of goldeneye doesn't have bots
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="billiethemancox"]Pro for N64 - Bots. I'm sorry, but those bastards were the reasons friends and I played. They owned us, horribly. Which made the game fun in a sense. Con for the N64 - I still, to this day, don't know how to hold the dang N64 controller.

i absolutely hated that controller soooooooooooo much
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nameless12345

Con for the N64 - I still, to this day, don't know how to hold the dang N64 controller.billiethemancox

No offense but even a five year old kid should figure out how to hold it in no time ;)

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nini200

[QUOTE="billiethemancox"]Con for the N64 - I still, to this day, don't know how to hold the dang N64 controller.nameless12345

No offense but even a five year old kid should figure out how to hold it in no time ;)

So true. :lol: also, I agree with the Bots. They added soooo much replayability.
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Mix Goldeneye Wii's single player with skippable cutscenes and Goldeneye N64's multiplayer content with wii controls and it would've been perfect.

tricksta189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tricksta189
Member since 2006 • 342 Posts

Goldeneye for N64 completely blew peoples minds at the time...lets be serious here. And Goldeneye for N64 didn't have bots..are you thinking of Perfect Dark?

Obviously a new version for a new system is going to play better right now..but the game isn't nowhere as fun as it was for people playing goldeneye for N64 back in the day...not even close. Most of you probably are too young though to have played it when it first came out.