Game prices are still just Ridiculous!

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

greekboy1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 greekboy1981
Member since 2005 • 481 Posts

I mean look at the apple or android game store! they charge many A+ games 1 or 2$ and then comes Nintendo wich still asks from us a 40 or 50 bucks for a game!!! This is 2012 ppl gameing on the GO has evolved and become cheaper! Charging this price for a single game and in this Economical crisis is just plain STUPID! And many many of the games are NOT even worth the super high price tag! And then some ppl still wonder why apple and android has taken over the gaming industry....its ALL about the FREE+CHEAP gaming ppl thats why! Atleast im happy coz i MOSTLY use my 3ds for 3d pics(wich i LOVE) and Videos.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

You have to realize that games on Android phones and iOS are very short and are meant for quick plays. This is 2012; as technology advances, games will become much more bigger and expensive. Yes, there are some games that are not worth their original price tag, but there are many games that offers dozens or even hundreds of hours of gameplay. If you don't like the pricing of retail games, then stick to downloadable games. Video games were expensive back then and will continue to become expensive.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Mobile gaming is not equal to handheld gaming. Comparing the two is like comparing PC games to flash games.
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#4 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts
I own an ipod touch and was excited to try out the cheap apps/games and honestly after a few weeks i was bored, there's just no depth to most of the games on there, you get what you pay for(most of the time anyway). I would love to pay a few $'s for games but lets be real, it costs a whole lot more to make good games then that. I love my ipod touch, just not for games.
Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts

Are you kidding me, man? No comment. Your stupidity speaks for itself

RayneofFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RayneofFury
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

You're comparing apples to oranges here.

greekboy1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 greekboy1981
I know many of the games are short...but there are some other games like Shadowgun or Asphalt 6 and now Many other A+ PC quality games are coming for the Android wich cost like 3-4 $!! those games are LONG n have amazing Graphics! what u have to say about this??...
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I know many of the games are short...but there are some other games like Shadowgun or Asphalt 6 and now Many other A+ PC quality games are coming for the Android wich cost like 3-4 $!! those games are LONG n have amazing Graphics! what u have to say about this??...greekboy1981
I'd rather play them on platforms dedicated to gaming with superior controls. I'll stick with Gravity Rush, Mario Kart, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Resident Evil Revelations on handhelds. If you want to only pay a dollar for your games than by all means go but you won't find much worth your while. Retail releases for handhelds won't reach such low prices.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
They're worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. $27-30 is my upper limit comfort zone usually. If it's a Dragon Quest game, I'll get it day one regardless if it's $40+ though.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Youre not looking hard enough for deals. Ive paid full price for maybe 3 outta my 18 3DS games. Sign up for some of those online survey sites and get Amazon credit and eventually its like getting free games. Also check thrift stores like Goodwill, Ive gotten 5 complete 3DS games for $5 apiece and Mario Kart 7 for $15 2 weeks after it was out!!!

Also I would rather have a $40 Super Mario 3D Land type game over 40 $1 app games ANYDAY!

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

There's a reason the games on app stores are priced what they are. People aren't going to spend any more money on them otherwise, because they aren't worth it. You honestly want to make the case that people would pay even $10 for Angry Birds? I guarantee most people wouldn't. Millions of people have proven time and time again that Mario Kart is worth the $40 or $50 it's asking for, however.

Tl;dr. Mobiles games are nothing compared to retail games. Don't argue otherwise.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

Youre not looking hard enough for deals. Ive paid full price for maybe 3 outta my 18 3DS games. Sign up for some of those online survey sites and get Amazon credit and eventually its like getting free games. Also check thrift stores like Goodwill, Ive gotten 5 complete 3DS games for $5 apiece and Mario Kart 7 for $15 2 weeks after it was out!!!

Also I would rather have a $40 Super Mario 3D Land type game over 40 $1 app games ANYDAY!

JuanGrande386
Those survey sites you just mentioned, they sound too good to be true...
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

hydralisk86

I joined one once. I quit after I realized it took me 3 months of taking surveys to put together enough credit for them to ship me a single 15$ Gamestop card.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

El_Zo1212o

I joined one once. I quit after I realized it took me 3 months of taking surveys to put together enough credit for them to ship me a single 15$ Gamestop card.

xD Sounds insane.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I buy most of my games for $20 tops.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hydralisk86
I buy most of my games for $20 tops.Minishdriveby
Where do you find games that cheap? You're talking about for the 3DS, right?
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I buy most of my games for $20 tops.hydralisk86

I'm talking about all games. I have patience to not buy them at launch. I just wait till they're cheap and buy them used on amazon they always come in excellent condition.
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
You just your credibility of this post in the first sentence. :P but then again I never buy ANY game FULL PRICE UNLESS it's a must want. Last 60 dollar game I bought was my for PS3 which was Deus Ex and the last full price 3DS game was OOT, but these games were must gets.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Most game prices are ridiculous, I agree. The iOS store isn't the greatest of comparisons to retail titles, though - Android even less so due to its piracy rates. It's a better fit with the E-Shop, and there especially I cannot argue with the overpricing of piecemeal games. My favourite example is the bizarrely priced Plants vs Zombies, which seems to be skewed in price depending on its platform, with many of them being crazy expensive: -iPhone - $2.99 -iPad - $6.99 -DSiWare/E-Shop - $7.99 (I think, and also keep in mind this version has the least content and most crippled graphics of all of them) -PC - $9.99 ($19.99 on Popcap's site for those people silly enough to buy it) -Xbox 360/PS3 - 800 points/$9.99 -Vita - $14.99 -PC/DS retail - $19.99 It's a great game regardless of platform, but the pricing is all over the places because (I presume) people will pay it and are actually paying it. A lot of other iOS games that only have DSiWare/E-Shop releases are also signficantly more expensive on Nintendo's service, though with DSiWare I read they were required to price it at certain levels. Gameloft is bad for this, charging three to five times as much as their iOS versions when they're identical or worse on the DS/3DS. As far as retail games go, very few of them are worth full price. Price drops are the best time to score stuff. Having said that, I do see some degree of erosion in the traditional handheld gaming market, and it'll be interesting to see how the 3DS and (ha) Vita are doing in a couple of years, especially as at that point smartphones and tablets will even more powerful in comparison.
XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#20 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I buy most of my games for $20 tops.Minishdriveby

I'm talking about all games. I have patience to not buy them at launch. I just wait till they're cheap and buy them used on amazon they always come in excellent condition.

I completely agree with you here. I would never buy a game on launch day unless it is a game that I really want. Hold off until their prices drop.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#21 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

You do realize that almost all iOS and Android games are nigh-obsolete, right? The only enjoyable games they had ... I couldn't see through my thumbs. iOS and Android games are the kind anyone can knock up in a few days while some 3DS games spend years in development. YEARS. Just compare the iOS version of Resident Evil 4 (awful, even for an iOS game - and Resident Evil 4 is my favourite game in the series) and Resident Evil Revelations. :(

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

It's definitely true that 3DS games are overpriced. They're only about 10 bucks cheaper than console games, when for what you're actually getting, they should be more like half the cost of a PS3/Xb360 game at the very most.

Maybe you can make exceptions for A-level games, but most games I see for 3DS are overpriced.

Many E-shop titles are overpriced too. You'll see this in titles like Rayman that you can get on PSN for less.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I just bought an iPad and I'm actually having a hard time finding a game to buy. There's a reason their cheap; low budget music, generic art, and ripoff game design.
greekboy1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 greekboy1981

05-29-2012

WHAT??????!!!! Are u pp all blind??? Look at all of those A+ Gameloft titles on Android! look at Shadowgun wich has AMAZING graphics and gameplay! Look at Asphalt 6! Also there is DEAD SPACE! for BOTH ios and Droid wich costs less than 5$!!! There are SOOO many MORE PC quality games that cost :ess than 5 bucks! Are u kidding me?!

Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts

It's definitely true that 3DS games are overpriced. They're only about 10 bucks cheaper than console games, when for what you're actually getting, they should be more like half the cost of a PS3/Xb360 game at the very most.

Maybe you can make exceptions for A-level games, but most games I see for 3DS are overpriced.

Many E-shop titles are overpriced too. You'll see this in titles like Rayman that you can get on PSN for less.

Audacitron
they're $20 cheaper than console games. $40 vs $60
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Spinnerweb

05-29-2012

WHAT??????!!!! Are u pp all blind??? Look at all of those A+ Gameloft titles on Android! look at Shadowgun wich has AMAZING graphics and gameplay! Look at Asphalt 6! Also there is DEAD SPACE! for BOTH ios and Droid wich costs less than 5$!!! There are SOOO many MORE PC quality games that cost :ess than 5 bucks! Are u kidding me?!

greekboy1981

Just because they have the same title doesn't mean they have the same quality.

Have you ever, EVER even played either versions of the games? The graphics of all these barely surpass the level of full-3D GBA games (except for Dead Space, which was somewhat good-looking, but anyway... ) . And the gameplay is just... doesn't bear thinking about. No puzzling, no messing about, no wondering whether this or that will knock old geezers sideways or not in the mobile versions. They're pathetic. :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

05-29-2012

greekboy1981
Most are generic garbage, or blatant ripoffs. I agree 3DS games should retail foe no more than $30, but you must understand that a large majority of these $5 games undermine a lot of aspects of game design. They undermine a lot of the artistic aspects of game design. Paying the game designers, production managers, musicians, pre production artists, and then selling the product for $5 simply wouldn't work.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
Totally different markets and premises to the games on each system. Phone games are less than $5 for a reason.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Audacitron

[QUOTE="greekboy1981"]

05-29-2012

Heirren

Most are generic garbage, or blatant ripoffs. I agree 3DS games should retail foe no more than $30, but you must understand that a large majority of these $5 games undermine a lot of aspects of game design. They undermine a lot of the artistic aspects of game design. Paying the game designers, production managers, musicians, pre production artists, and then selling the product for $5 simply wouldn't work.

Well take his first example, Shadowgun.

72% on Metacritic. That's pretty decent.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/shadowgun

and graphics are top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA0cbu1BxI

You think they're able to do all this and not pay all their designers and devs? You think they're doing this as a charity?

Meanwhile Nintendo think spit-shining some dusty old N64 titles is worth 40 bucks?

greekboy1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 greekboy1981
yeah! ppl WAKE UP and STOP paying 40$ for Mario 1.0000 or Mario Kart 456! it's Stupid! They take advantage of us! WAKE UP or else they will NEVER drop the games prices!
pantyraid2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 pantyraid2113
Member since 2010 • 1976 Posts

The only game I find myself playing on my Android is Pokemon yellow! :D

I just cant stand touch controls and the games are essentially broken.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kaze_no_Mirai
yeah! ppl WAKE UP and STOP paying 40$ for Mario 1.0000 or Mario Kart 456! it's Stupid! They take advantage of us! WAKE UP or else they will NEVER drop the games prices! greekboy1981
Don't buy it. :| Don't tell other people how to spend their money. No game on my iPod or Android phone come close to the games I've bought on my 3DS and Vita.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kaze_no_Mirai

It's definitely true that 3DS games are overpriced. They're only about 10 bucks cheaper than console games, Audacitron

20-25 dollars in most cases. Both 3DS and Vita retail games are between 34.99 and 39.99 compared to 60 dollar console games.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Those survey sites you just mentioned, they sound too good to be true...hydralisk86

xD Sounds insane.

Sorry for late response, been working. Im actually signed up for like 10 survey sites so my credit builds up real fast if Im actually not lazy and do surveys. Swagbucks, MySurvey, and Valued Opinions could easily get me $50 of Amazon credit a month if I actually do the surveys. My favorite thing is when I paid $6 of my real money for a Kindle Fire cus I didnt use my Amazon credit for like 2 months (I was in a survey zone where I was doing almost all, or attempting too.)

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

yeah! ppl WAKE UP and STOP paying 40$ for Mario 1.0000 or Mario Kart 456! it's Stupid! They take advantage of us! WAKE UP or else they will NEVER drop the games prices! greekboy1981

Companies need to pay their workers and make a profit. Nintendo would not have been so successful if their games were dirt cheap.
If $5 per copy of Shadowgun is sufficient to make a profit, then good for them, but it's obviously not enough for every other video game developer.

If you do not agree with the current pricing of retail games, then don't buy it or wait for sales/price drops. Playing video games is completely optional. :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="greekboy1981"]

05-29-2012

Audacitron

Well take his first example, Shadowgun.

72% on Metacritic. That's pretty decent.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/shadowgun

and graphics are top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA0cbu1BxI

You think they're able to do all this and not pay all their designers and devs? You think they're doing this as a charity?

Meanwhile Nintendo think spit-shining some dusty old N64 titles is worth 40 bucks?

That's the perfect example of the kind of game I was referring to-- a copycat game with shallow gameplay and graphics. My pint is that I think designers of all kind deserve recognition, and a salary to support their ideas.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I buy most of my games for $20 tops.Minishdriveby

There is the issue you might be buying a used knockoff from amazon.com, and have to return it...If it were gamestop and it didn't work, you could just return it. At the same time, i will see if i can follow your route and buy from amazon.com.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

I'm mostly irritated that Nintendo is still selling New Super Mario Bros. Mario 64 DS, and Mario Kart DS for $29.99-$34.99. Talk about a middle finger to your fanbase. Two of those games are 6 years old!

svm128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 svm128
Member since 2007 • 376 Posts

I'm mostly irritated that Nintendo is still selling New Super Mario Bros. Mario 64 DS, and Mario Kart DS for $29.99-$34.99. Talk about a middle finger to your fanbase. Two of those games are 6 years old!

ItsEvolution
yeah, I can't stand when nintendo do that.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spinnerweb

*snorts and wakes up*

Like I said, iOS games can be knocked up in a week while 3DS games spend quite a while and hundreds of people (spend people, geddit?) in development.

*starts snoring again*

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] Where do you find games that cheap? You're talking about for the 3DS, right?

There is the issue you might be buying a used knockoff from amazon.com, and have to return it...If it were gamestop and it didn't work, you could just return it. At the same time, i will see if i can follow your route and buy from amazon.com.

Oh no god forbid I have to return a broken/knock-off game back to amazon (there return service is actually very good)! Seriously I'm not sure I understand what the problem is you're trying to point out. If I buy it from amazon I can return it just as easily as if I bought it from gamestop. My girlfriend bought a bad Fire Emblem (GBA), and she returned it with no hassle.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
How many IOs games from 2 or 3 years ago are you still playing? hell, how many from 6 months ago are you still playing? also, an Iphone or Ipad is much more expensive than a 3DS or Vita and there is no real filtering system for the hundreds of thousands of garbage knock offs and flash games that are free on PC.
Roxas658

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Roxas658
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts
I live in Australia the home of ridiculous prices. Just buy online it's so much more cheaper. Or don't buy it on release. iPod/iPad games can never compare to console games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

ItsEvolution
They work on a different business model. Plus, how is it giving their fan base the finger if the fan base likely already has the game. To the unknown public, price is a key figure when looking at quality of a product.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts
[QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

Heirren
They work on a different business model. Plus, how is it giving their fan base the finger if the fan base likely already has the game. To the unknown public, price is a key figure when looking at quality of a product.

Name any other games from 2005-06 that still sell for full retail (in stores, not online) today.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hydralisk86
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"] I'm talking about all games. I have patience to not buy them at launch. I just wait till they're cheap and buy them used on amazon they always come in excellent condition.

Oh no god forbid I have to return a broken/knock-off game back to amazon (there return service is actually very good)! Seriously I'm not sure I understand what the problem is you're trying to point out. If I buy it from amazon I can return it just as easily as if I bought it from gamestop. My girlfriend bought a bad Fire Emblem (GBA), and she returned it with no hassle.

No, I'm saying that with amazon.com, you have the hassle of packaging the game and sending it back.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Minishdriveby
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] There is the issue you might be buying a used knockoff from amazon.com, and have to return it...If it were gamestop and it didn't work, you could just return it. At the same time, i will see if i can follow your route and buy from amazon.com.hydralisk86

No, I'm saying that with amazon.com, you have the hassle of packaging the game and sending it back.

With gamespot you have to get in your car and drive back to the store... If were talking about a defective game then amazon will pay for return shipping.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Audacitron

[QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

Heirren

They work on a different business model.

What business model is that ... Extortion?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

Audacitron

They work on a different business model.

It's called knowing the quality of your product. Nintendo works on a different development cycle, in that there is a lot of money put into r&d, art direction, game design, music, etc. These games take a long time to produce. For example: Skyward Sword was in production before Twilight Princess even released.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Audacitron

[QUOTE="Audacitron"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] They work on a different business model. Heirren

It's called knowing the quality of your product. Nintendo works on a different development cycle, in that there is a lot of money put into r&d, art direction, game design, music, etc. These games take a long time to produce. For example: Skyward Sword was in production before Twilight Princess even released.

You don't think other companies do that?

Mario 64 DS is a dusty, ancient game at this stage, and they've made their money back several times over by now. The reason they still charge so much has nothing to do with any extra value they've added, the only reason they charge so much is because they think they can get away with it.