FINALLY, Nintendo does something smart...

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

...at least in relation to the decisions the company has been making for years now. And no, I'm not referring to the Deluxe price drop. At this point, such a move was merely common-sense, and even now, I doubt it's enough. But that's for later, I suppose. What I'm talking about is a more subtle change Nintendo has made in regards to its holiday release lineup. As opposed to originally having Donkey Kong Country: TF being released in November and Super Mario 3D World being released in December, Nintendo announced today that the two games will be releasing in the reverse order. And frankly, it was foolish to think that it should have been any other way to begin with.

With all due respect to Donkey Kong and its fans, the situation the Wii U faces as we speak is out of the franchise's league and ability to solve. There was absolutely no reason why Tropical Freeze should be the key game of Nintendo's holiday lineup as a November release, when the Wii U needs all the help it can get to move hardware. Regardless of what is said about Zelda, Metroid, and even Super Smash Bros., there are really only two brands that can consistently boost Nintendo's systems: Pokemon and Mario. And with 3D World also being a Q4 title, making it the pre-Black Friday release is easily one of the best things Nintendo has done for the Wii U since its conception.

That said, it still doesn't guarantee an easy going for Nintendo this holiday season. Even with the price drop and Mario being released in November, it doesn't change many of the problems that the system currently faces and will face in the coming months. The upcoming systems and strong lineup of games on other platfroms are obvious enough hurdles, but even as we speak, the system continues to struggle appealing to anyone. It's ironic that on the same day Nintendo has announced some upcoming changes for the Wii U, one of the system's biggest games to date, the Wonderful 101, has also been revealed to be a total disaster commercially in Japan. Things like this, along with the fact that 3D Mario titles typically aren't as impactful to the public as 2D Mario, still make me question just how well off the Wii U will be at the end of the year. Even so, I do believe for the first time since the system has lanuched that there is an ever-so-slight glimpse of hope.

Thoughts?

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Do you have a link for this announcement? I agree that it is a good move. Works better for me too. Asd much as I am looking forward to Tropical Freeze I wand 3D World much more.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Regardless of what is said about Zelda, Metroid, and even Super Smash Bros., there are really only two brands that can consistently boost Nintendo's systems: Pokemon and Mario. 

Madmangamer364

And there you're just outright wrong. Metroid sure, but Zelda and Smash Bros have always consistently pushed system sales. 

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

obvious the move was made because both MS and sony will release in Nov. we needed Mario.

thanks_mario_for_rescue_me_n_n_by_prince

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Kinda disappointed but Donkey Kong for $50 makes up for it.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I still love Nintendo and their games, but I doubt I EVER buy a system from them at launch again. Either they drop the price within a year or come out with a better model. I really do like that Zelda bundle, but I already bought a launch console from them.

Anyway, glad to see DKCR at the 50 dollar price point.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
When 3D World was announced for December back at E3, I was also surprised that they weren't releasing it in November.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

With all due respect to Donkey Kong and its fans, the situation the Wii U faces as we speak is out of the franchise's league and ability to solve. There was absolutely no reason why Tropical Freeze should be the key game of Nintendo's holiday lineup as a November release

Madmangamer364

I beg to differ. Retro Studios has a stellar reputation and Returns sold over 6 million copies. It's hard to say that Tropical Freeze won't spark some light in these dark days.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

So, Super Mario 3d World now releases November 22nd.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze releases December 6th.

They bump Mario for sooner and space Donkey Kong 2 weeks later all while still in progression with the holidays. A good move indeed.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
Smart move for them, lame move for me, I have 0 interest in the new Mario game and I already have my DKCRTF preorder paid and was anxiously awaiting picking it up. Still, price cut is nice!
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Ill be buying Sonic Lost World and DK instead. Not interested at all in 3D World until I see something that actually makes it look original

brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 brentendo3
Member since 2013 • 176 Posts

Thanks for making this thread, I was sure Mario was supposed to come in December.  Now I know I'm not crazy.  Anyways this is smart, brand new Mario to go with a Wii U for Black Friday.  Maybe there will be some sort of bundle as well too.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Smart move for them, lame move for me, I have 0 interest in the new Mario game and I already have my DKCRTF preorder paid and was anxiously awaiting picking it up. Still, price cut is nice!TxTech1923
Same, buying DKTF & not Mario. So who from Nintendo says there was not gonna be price drop?....lol

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

...at least in relation to the decisions the company has been making for years now. And no, I'm not referring to the Deluxe price drop. At this point, such a move was merely common-sense, and even now, I doubt it's enough. But that's for later, I suppose. What I'm talking about is a more subtle change Nintendo has made in regards to its holiday release lineup. As opposed to originally having Donkey Kong Country: TF being released in November and Super Mario 3D World being released in December, Nintendo announced today that the two games will be releasing in the reverse order. And frankly, it was foolish to think that it should have been any other way to begin with.

With all due respect to Donkey Kong and its fans, the situation the Wii U faces as we speak is out of the franchise's league and ability to solve. There was absolutely no reason why Tropical Freeze should be the key game of Nintendo's holiday lineup as a November release, when the Wii U needs all the help it can get to move hardware. Regardless of what is said about Zelda, Metroid, and even Super Smash Bros., there are really only two brands that can consistently boost Nintendo's systems: Pokemon and Mario. And with 3D World also being a Q4 title, making it the pre-Black Friday release is easily one of the best things Nintendo has done for the Wii U since its conception.

That said, it still doesn't guarantee an easy going for Nintendo this holiday season. Even with the price drop and Mario being released in November, it doesn't change many of the problems that the system currently faces and will face in the coming months. The upcoming systems and strong lineup of games on other platfroms are obvious enough hurdles, but even as we speak, the system continues to struggle appealing to anyone. It's ironic that on the same day Nintendo has announced some upcoming changes for the Wii U, one of the system's biggest games to date, the Wonderful 101, has also been revealed to be a total disaster commercially in Japan. Things like this, along with the fact that 3D Mario titles typically aren't as impactful to the public as 2D Mario, still make me question just how well off the Wii U will be at the end of the year. Even so, I do believe for the first time since the system has lanuched that there is an ever-so-slight glimpse of hope.

Thoughts?

Madmangamer364

You have been playing games for a long time, and you have played alot of games. Are you sure you are not just experiencing burn-out? That you think Nintendo has not been doing things right for several years is a surprising statement since you have a large library of Wii games in your collection, and a fairly large list of Wii games in your wish list. Nintendo has just recently sold 100 million Wiis total since its release. Several million people thought the Wii U was appealing enough to buy it early. Why are you unimpressed with the Wii U? Wonderful 101 looks like a good game, but what makes it one of the systems "biggest games"? Are not the Mario Galaxy Wii games 3D? Why are they considered to be not as "impactful" by you as the 2D Mario games?

Bob H

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I still love Nintendo and their games, but I doubt I EVER buy a system from them at launch again. Either they drop the price within a year or come out with a better model. I really do like that Zelda bundle, but I already bought a launch console from them.

yokofox33
I just bought the deluxe a month ago but even with the price drop and WIndwaker bundle, I still don't regret it. It's always good to wait until there are a few games you want for a system before buying it and that almost never happens for me at launch. What's annoying for me was getting the regular 3DS a few months after launch then the XL comes out the next year :(
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Madmangamer364

Woo! I see this thread has sparked a few replies, so I'll get right to deeper discussion.

And there you're just outright wrong. Metroid sure, but Zelda and Smash Bros have always consistently pushed system sales. 

meetroid8

Am I? It honestly depends on how you define "consistent" in this case. For the record, I'm not saying that those franchises (Metroid included) can't help on the hardware front, but the frequency is nowhere nearly as great as Nintendo's two strongest franchises.

For SSB, I'll give you some credit for calling me out there. :P Normally, a game in that franchise is usually a pretty big deal to Nintendo fans, but here's where the "consistent" part comes into play; the series only sees an installment once a gen on average. In terms of success rate, yeah, SSB's consistent in moving consoles, but not so much as a franchise Nintendo can turn to on a biannually basis, which can be the case with Mario and Pokemon. I think it's true strength will also be tested when it finds itself as a multiplatform release for the first time with the Wii U and 3DS installments. That said, that's neither here nor there at the moment.

Zelda, on the other hand, has been on more shaky ground in recent years. Even compared to the SSB series, it hasn't proven as strong of a mover of consoles, even though it typically has more games per system. Outside of Wii's TP, which was a launch title that accompanied a game that sold about 10 times more (Wii Sports), which was the last Zelda game to prove as a major boost to Nintendo's hardware sales? The series still has its moments, no doubt, but its impact has been overstated in the last decade or so to the point of exaggeration.

(Speaking of which, that sentence in and of itself may have been an exaggeration on my part, but given the situation the Wii U is in and how desperate it needs a system selling game or two, it's not exactly farfetched either. :lol:)

I beg to differ. Retro Studios has a stellar reputation and Returns sold over 6 million copies. It's hard to say that Tropical Freeze won't spark some light in these dark days.thetravman

I see where you're going, but I'm standing by the statement. DKC:TF had no chance at being Nintendo's most important Wii U release this holiday season, and apparently, even Nintendo noticed it. That's no knock against Retro, as they are indeed a great developer, but the franchises they've worked on to this point aren't nearly as important enough for such a role. In 2004, Nintendo used Retro's Metroid Prime 2 as their big holiday release, and it pretty much got crushed under the weight of the hype that was surrounding the high profile releases on the other systems. DKC:TF would have been dealing with a similar circumstance, 2 new consoles, and a system that is struggling more now than the GCN ever did when it was relevant.

And yes, DKCR sold 6 million copies on a console with 100 million owners. That doesn't instantly make it or its predecessor a system-selling worthy title.  Furthermore, that would put it still well behind Super Mario Galaxy at 11+ million and nowhere near the stratosphere of New Super Mario Bros. Wii at nearly 28 million. Based on that alone, it only makes sense that Nintendo would prioritize the releases so that a new Mario game would have a chance to sell Wii Us during the busiest shopping week of the year, as opposed to a Donkey Kong game. Sure, they just released a Mario game last year, but the same thing could be said about a 2D platformer, so it still balances out to Super Mario 3D World's favor.

DKC:TF could still help as a significant software title, but believing it to be anything more than that is being way too optimistic.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Madmangamer364

Smart move for them, lame move for me, I have 0 interest in the new Mario game and I already have my DKCRTF preorder paid and was anxiously awaiting picking it up. Still, price cut is nice!TxTech1923

The good news is that it's not exactly like you'll have to be waiting much longer in this case. The important thing here is that Nintendo understood it couldn't have it's most important game of the year not be available for Black Friday, leaving DK to shoulder the burden of selling Wii Us in the face of so much competition. It's, what, a two week difference, yet it means much more than that to the Wii U's chances of survival this holiday season.

yokofox33

Sorry to hear that...

Maybe THIS will cheer you up! :)

(In other words, you're not the only one who feels this pain.)

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't regret my purchase at all as I've enjoyed the system a lot, but at the same time I probably could have waited a year with no regrets either.

Honestly, I'm just a sucker for limited edition consoles, so this new system bundle has caught my eye. Especially since it's 50 bucks cheaper than what I payed.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Yea I'm happier with them switching releases personally. I still wish MK8 got out this year but if it needs time it needs time then.

I still hope they change 3D World's title. I don't know, call it Mario Kitty Adventure for all I care just not something so mundane and boring as "3D World". Super Mario World 3 would suffice even if it isn't a 2D game.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Madmangamer364

You have been playing games for a long time, and you have played alot of games. Are you sure you are not just experiencing burn-out? That you think Nintendo has not been doing things right for several years is a surprising statement since you have a large library of Wii games in your collection, and a fairly large list of Wii games in your wish list. Nintendo has just recently sold 100 million Wiis total since its release. Several million people thought the Wii U was appealing enough to buy it early. Why are you unimpressed with the Wii U? Wonderful 101 looks like a good game, but what makes it one of the systems "biggest games"? Are not the Mario Galaxy Wii games 3D? Why are they considered to be not as "impactful" by you as the 2D Mario games?

Bob H

Collie_Lover

Heh... :)

First off, thanks for taking a look at my collection there. You're right. I've gone through my share of gaming over the years, and heck, I could very well be experiencing something of a burn-out effect these days. Honestly, though, neither of those things are relevant when it comes to my opinion of Nintendo's decision making in recent years. And by "recent years," I really only mean the past three years or so, not the last decade, where the company has obviously had great highs, as well as lows. What this would include would be mostly the latter years of the Wii and Nintendo's two most recent systems, the 3DS and Wii U, all of which have been handled poorly, in my opinion.  I could go deeper into this, but all of it is not fitting for the main subject here. If you must know the entirety of my stance, feel free to drop a PM, though. :)

I honestly couldn't care that much about several million people buying the Wii U at this point, as it doesn't really affect me. What I've been quite vocal about from the start, however, is how the Wii U and Nintendo's philosophy behind it has always seemed like a step backwards compared to where it just was a few years ago. I could play the "longtime Nintendo fan" card, but I really don't see it that way, as I'm sure the tried-and-true offerings will come. The system just doesn't seem poised to do anything more than that, which means I'm more than willing to wait it out for a while this time around. All being said, this really isn't about my personal preferences at all. The much bigger problem is that the rest of the world has so far responded to the Wii U in a way that is actually worse than I expected.

What makes Wonderful 101 a "big game?" That's actually a good question. Personally speaking, the game does nothing for me at all, but given the fact that it's one of the handful of notable exclusive releases for the Wii U this entire year, along with that fact that it's Nintendo-published and developed by an acclaimed developer like Platinum Games, it has been given more attention than most other offerings on the system to date (even though that's not saying much in reality). But hey, maybe it isn't a "big game..." Nevertheless, its nightmarish start in Japan is a very disturbing sign for Nintendo and any other game developer that may be having thoughts about investing heavily into the Wii U, which is extremely important moving forward.

And as for the whole 2D vs. 3D thing with Mario, it's as simple as numbers. Most of the top selling games in the Super Mario stable would be the 2D side-scrollers, and they have greater impact because they typically appeal to a much larger crowd. Critical acclaim and individual preference has no say of the matter here. No 3D Super Mario game is going to ever have a chance to scratch 30 million units sold, and this should be obvious now given how great the Super Mario Galaxy games were and the fact they they were on the super-popular Wii.

Hopefully, that answers all of your questions. I tried to be graceful with each statement you made. :P

Avatar image for DragonHuntress7
DragonHuntress7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 DragonHuntress7
Member since 2013 • 138 Posts

Thanks for making this thread, I was sure Mario was supposed to come in December.  Now I know I'm not crazy.

brentendo3

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Yea I'm happier with them switching releases personally. I still wish MK8 got out this year but if it needs time it needs time then.

I still hope they change 3D World's title. I don't know, call it Mario Kitty Adventure for all I care just not something so mundane and boring as "3D World". Super Mario World 3 would suffice even if it isn't a 2D game.

bonesawisready5
It's called 3D World because it's the sequel to 3D Land on the 3DS which was an awesome game. Not sure why people are so negative about it. It's the sequel to an awesome game with added 4 player mode and some weird Cat power that changes things up a bit. I played it and it's fun. I know it probably won't be as good as a Galaxy game but that will probably happen eventually. For now it's a fun Mario game that they can release quickly and makes a great party game too, something that always helps out Nintendo systems. I also assume Nintendo wanted Mario out in November all along, they just weren't sure it would be ready. I guess it's on schedule. I also think the price drop, while common sense still will really help. Not only is it $100 cheaper than the PS4 and $200 cheaper than the One but it comes with a game and will have much more impressive library than the other systems launch lineup. Although the launch games are good (mostly) most everything is multiplatform, pretty much like the Wii U's launch lineup. Although if the Wii U doesn't sell well this holiday then it's probably doomed to mediocre sales, but I think we should at least give it a few more months.
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

With all due respect to Donkey Kong and its fans, the situation the Wii U faces as we speak is out of the franchise's league and ability to solve. There was absolutely no reason why Tropical Freeze should be the key game of Nintendo's holiday lineup as a November release

thetravman

I beg to differ. Retro Studios has a stellar reputation and Returns sold over 6 million copies. It's hard to say that Tropical Freeze won't spark some light in these dark days.

DKC Returns sold 6 million copies to a 90 million install base. It's not exactly the same thing.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Madmangamer364

It's called 3D World because it's the sequel to 3D Land on the 3DS which was an awesome game. Not sure why people are so negative about it. It's the sequel to an awesome game with added 4 player mode and some weird Cat power that changes things up a bit. I played it and it's fun. I know it probably won't be as good as a Galaxy game but that will probably happen eventually. For now it's a fun Mario game that they can release quickly and makes a great party game too, something that always helps out Nintendo systems. I also assume Nintendo wanted Mario out in November all along, they just weren't sure it would be ready. I guess it's on schedule.

AlmightyDerek

The game's name honestly doesn't bother me that much, as it clearly explains where the idea for the game spawned from. Of course, that could also speak to the seemingly lack on inspiration that the game has, which has lead people to believe that this title won't measure up the likes of the Super Mario Galaxy games. Nevertheless, it does its job, especially concerning players of 3D Land that enjoyed that game. I'm not sure as to the extent of the impact this game will actually have or what truly lead Nintendo to take this route. All I see is that if the Wii U is going to survive a very hectic holiday season, this is really the best thing Nintendo has to work with right now.

I also think the price drop, while common sense still will really help. Not only is it $100 cheaper than the PS4 and $200 cheaper than the One but it comes with a game and will have much more impressive library than the other systems launch lineup. Although the launch games are good (mostly) most everything is multiplatform, pretty much like the Wii U's launch lineup. Although if the Wii U doesn't sell well this holiday then it's probably doomed to mediocre sales, but I think we should at least give it a few more months.AlmightyDerek

I'm not giving Nintendo credit for the price drop, as it was something that everyone could foresee and should have been done months ago. I'm also not sure how strong of an impression it will leave. Nevertheless, it should make something of a difference to a few people for a while. When it concerns the other platforms, though, I still don't think the Wii U's currently in a position to competitively counter them at the moment. Even with the holiday lineup, it has still threw away much of a first year where it should have been in the spotlight. Now that the spotlight has clearly moved on, Nintendo just has to make sure the system has some evident and lasting appeal in order to stay afloat for a while. The LAST thing Nintendo needs to be doing is trying to make comparisons and downtalk the other systems. *glares at Reggie*

And lastly, I agree with the last sentence for the most part. While I don't blame anyone that has already counted the Wii U out, given the levels of futility it has already reached, I do think it's fair to see what takes place in the coming months. There's not much light, but it could very well be an opening that Nintendo needs for the system... or a train coming to put an end to everything. Time will tell.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"]Smart move for them, lame move for me, I have 0 interest in the new Mario game and I already have my DKCRTF preorder paid and was anxiously awaiting picking it up. Still, price cut is nice!Madmangamer364

The good news is that it's not exactly like you'll have to be waiting much longer in this case. The important thing here is that Nintendo understood it couldn't have it's most important game of the year not be available for Black Friday, leaving DK to shoulder the burden of selling Wii Us in the face of so much competition. It's, what, a two week difference, yet it means much more than that to the Wii U's chances of survival this holiday season.

Yeah I agree with their reasoning for doing so, just bummed at first about the delay. BUT my wife reminded me that the new release date is a lot closer to my 2 week holiday vacation time, which means I get to just sit around and play it all day :D So now I'm happy with the change!

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
if they were even smarter, it'd come out Nov 15 ;)
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

yokofox33

Same, for me its consoles in general though. I now know to wait a year for it too get out of Beta and get a good bundle. I should really have waited.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@Madmangamer364 good topic because I think Nintendo fails to understand that side scrollers are not the solution to making Wii U relevant to electronic consumers. NSMBU does work as a killer app (AKA software that moves larger amounts of hardware) but other side scrollers are not going to have that impact. Nintendo should always make new side scrollers though. I love DKC and even the new ones are pretty good too. DKC: TF should not be one of the headlining titles though to convince people that Wii U is a significant platform. Side scrollers and remakes (Wind Waker HD) are niche low tier/low impact titles in terms of Nintendo being competitive but these are some of the biggest games they have to offer. This is just sad to me.

A side scroller and a preexisting GC game are not going to showcase the abilities of a anext gen system esp. one with built in second screen potential. Nintendo needed bigger games for the upcoming release of two other next gen consoles.

If instead of Wind Waker HD, we were getting a brand new Zelda game with graphics that pushed the system and interesting GamePad functions then Nintendo would be taking the stage of attention away from the competion. DKC Returns moved a couple million with a Wii install base of of 100 million. This new DKC is going to move much less as there are way less Wii Us and the overall health of the system is shoddy.

Nintendo needed a home run holiday lineup and what they have is B grade quality at best.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"]It's called 3D World because it's the sequel to 3D Land on the 3DS which was an awesome game. Not sure why people are so negative about it. It's the sequel to an awesome game with added 4 player mode and some weird Cat power that changes things up a bit. I played it and it's fun. I know it probably won't be as good as a Galaxy game but that will probably happen eventually. For now it's a fun Mario game that they can release quickly and makes a great party game too, something that always helps out Nintendo systems. I also assume Nintendo wanted Mario out in November all along, they just weren't sure it would be ready. I guess it's on schedule.

Madmangamer364

The game's name honestly doesn't bother me that much, as it clearly explains where the idea for the game spawned from. Of course, that could also speak to the seemingly lack on inspiration that the game has, which has lead people to believe that this title won't measure up the likes of the Super Mario Galaxy games. Nevertheless, it does its job, especially concerning players of 3D Land that enjoyed that game. I'm not sure as to the extent of the impact this game will actually have or what truly lead Nintendo to take this route. All I see is that if the Wii U is going to survive a very hectic holiday season, this is really the best thing Nintendo has to work with right now.

I also think the price drop, while common sense still will really help. Not only is it $100 cheaper than the PS4 and $200 cheaper than the One but it comes with a game and will have much more impressive library than the other systems launch lineup. Although the launch games are good (mostly) most everything is multiplatform, pretty much like the Wii U's launch lineup. Although if the Wii U doesn't sell well this holiday then it's probably doomed to mediocre sales, but I think we should at least give it a few more months.AlmightyDerek

I'm not giving Nintendo credit for the price drop, as it was something that everyone could foresee and should have been done months ago. I'm also not sure how strong of an impression it will leave. Nevertheless, it should make something of a difference to a few people for a while. When it concerns the other platforms, though, I still don't think the Wii U's currently in a position to competitively counter them at the moment. Even with the holiday lineup, it has still threw away much of a first year where it should have been in the spotlight. Now that the spotlight has clearly moved on, Nintendo just has to make sure the system has some evident and lasting appeal in order to stay afloat for a while. The LAST thing Nintendo needs to be doing is trying to make comparisons and downtalk the other systems. *glares at Reggie*

And lastly, I agree with the last sentence for the most part. While I don't blame anyone that has already counted the Wii U out, given the levels of futility it has already reached, I do think it's fair to see what takes place in the coming months. There's not much light, but it could very well be an opening that Nintendo needs for the system... or a train coming to put an end to everything. Time will tell.

Yeah I think Mario will help a bit if properly advertised anyway. Everyone loves Mario and this is the first time there's been a 4 player 3D one. It should target a good amount of the Wii audience as it's a Mario game and It's a great 4 player party game. Obviously it won't win over any hardcore non Nintendo gamers or anything. I do think a lot of people will be interested in a cheaper system with more games and with more supply. Both the PS4 and One will most likely get supply constrained so they can only sell so much this holiday. But yeah Nintendo really did waste most of it's first year. I think dropping the price now is a better idea than a few months ago as it adds to the momentum of all the games coming out. If it had dropped in June or something all people could say was "Yay I can spend $300 to play Game and Wario!" If Nintendo could get Mario Kart 8 out it would have been a huge boost but I guess they couldn't finish it in time. I still think the system has a chance but it's it's last chance. Although even in the worst case scenario it will be a Gamecube for about 4 years and then they'll release a new system. I could live with that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Avatar_Taxidous

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

Bardock47

Same, for me its consoles in general though. I now know to wait a year for it too get out of Beta and get a good bundle. I should really have waited.

Personally I love getting consoles at launch. Wii U's launch lineup was fairly impressive to me (especially compared to the 3DS launch lineup); I could only afford two games when I got the system though.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if they were even smarter, it'd come out Nov 15 ;)starwarsjunky

or even better...nov 14 :twisted:

lol

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Nintendo has done it right with a lot of games, but not limited to: Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong Jungle, Mario Bros, and Mario Galaxy. But they really shine when they make arcade, platform, and side-scroller games. IMO to be more successful they could make more of these types of games. They could create new characters inside or outside of the Mario universe and new story lines to refresh and build greater interest in their consoles for many years to come. They could continue to develop 3d games, but the focus should be slanted toward their strengths, where they appeal to the most customers, and where they make the most money. (I don't know what the sales were for Link's Crossbow Training, but I like these light gun type games, and would personally like to see more of these games.)

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

[QUOTE="Bardock47"]

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

Personally I love getting consoles at launch. Wii U's launch lineup was fairly impressive to me (especially compared to the 3DS launch lineup); I could only afford two games when I got the system though.

I dont regret it, i have had fun without consistantly. BUt looking back, maybe wating till an sweosme bundle like this and for a lower price would have been more wise, though getting it in Januray with in the luanch period was fun:P

Avatar image for VanguardWarrior
VanguardWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VanguardWarrior
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Nintendo is taking L's left and right this year SMFH. They've got to release Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 within a year. I do think they're getting on the right track but they need to get working on the Third Party support. I understand we're all Nintendo fans here but the Wii U's third party support is a joke. No one wants to develop for it. Whether or not it's Nintendo or the game developers fault is irrelevant. The Wii U should be the focal point right now. IT NEEDS GAMES. I'm confident they can come out with the hits, and they're starting to. It's just that they are a little late especially with the PS4 and Xbox One a few months away.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Frankly, I don't care for either Mario World or DKC. The only Wii U games left to buy this year for me are Zelda and Wii Fit.
consoletroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 consoletroll
Member since 2013 • 416 Posts

these games should not be selling for more than 30 bones. 50 bucks for a side scrolling platformer? Pure butt rape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Avatar_Taxidous

these games should not be selling for more than 30 bones. 50 bucks for a side scrolling platformer? Pure butt rape

consoletroll
I got over 75 hours of playtime on Donkey Kong Country Returns (playing with my girlfriend mostly). For me it was very worth the price of 50 dollars.
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts
Nintendo is actually creating some excitement that we haven't seen for the past many moons. Starting with Pikmin 3 and going until the holidays present releases worthy of buzz. it is highly possible Nintendo will move a decent amount of units in the next few months with the coupling of the library and the price cut.
OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts
they dont have a reputation for it. it would be sad to think of the possibility of mario's house rushing a game though. well wishes credit to the contrary.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Except that Tropical freeze will be the MUCH better game.  It's kind of righting the wrong of DKCR so to speak.

This Mario game is just more of the same, uninspired safe crap.  Whatever happened to the magic of Mario?  Where are games like Mario Sunshine?  That game was one of the best games period 6th generation. 

To be fair though, 3D World is just more filler and we'll get something bigger and better down the line.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

they dont have a reputation for it. it would be sad to think of the possibility of mario's house rushing a game though. well wishes credit to the contrary. OmitName

Oh it's rushed all right, big time.  But again, it's just filler.  The team is already working on the next game, and hopefully it's a proper 3D Mario.

What people don't think about is, Nintendo is rushing to get caught up with today's development processes, they missed 7 years of HD development and still have to keep up with the latest at the same time.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thedude-

Except that Tropical freeze will be the MUCH better game.  It's kind of righting the wrong of DKCR so to speak.

This Mario game is just more of the same, uninspired safe crap.  Whatever happened to the magic of Mario?  Where are games like Mario Sunshine?  That game was one of the best games period 6th generation. 

To be fair though, 3D World is just more filler and we'll get something bigger and better down the line.

Chozofication
Tropical Freeze should just be better purely on the standard controller it will be using.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

thedude-

Tropical Freeze should just be better purely on the standard controller it will be using.

And that was the first thing wrong with DKCR, but far from the last...

This game is a night and day improvement, it should be incredible.  And it'll probably be the last we see of DK for a while, too.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Chozofication

This game is a night and day improvement, it should be incredible.  And it'll probably be the last we see of DK for a while, too.

Yes having to shake the controller for such a quick action that you need to do all the time what beyond ridiculous. If I had everything in the universe my way I would want an art style closer to the old DKC games.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Madmangamer364

Chozofication

I'm not sure what ANY of that has to do with the topic. Honestly, it's a subjective and possibly premature statement, given that neither game is out, but most importantly, it's not relevant to the discussion at all.

I'm honestly not lining up for either of these games, but I realize the importance of having the strongest game available for the busiest shopping period of the year, especially for a system like the Wii U. That strongest game as we speak is Super Mario 3D World, not Tropical Freeze. If you ask me, BOTH games come off as safe, uninspired offerings from Nintendo, and I think there's a chance neither will drastically help the Wii U out as much as their brand power would suggest. All being said, going with Mario is the MUCH better move in this situation.

Feel as free as you want to question Mario's magic. Go right ahead and proclaim that Tropical Freeze will be the better game, much like there are those who have said Donkey Kong Country Returns was a better game than New Super Mario Bros. Wii. That's not nearly as important as the fact that NSMBWii sold 4.5 times as many copies as DKCR, and that was on Nintendo's healthiest ever console. The Wii U is in the opposite situation as its predecessor, and as it stands, regardless of what 3D World truly is, it's easily the best Nintendo has to offer if they're going to make the Wii U relevant this holiday season.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

Yeah Mario has a better chance at moving systems than Donkey Kong, but from my perspective, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a much better game than either of the galaxies so I anticipate the next Donkey Kong a lot more than the next mario. This just means I have to wait longer for it :P

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"] Tropical Freeze should just be better purely on the standard controller it will be using.thedude-

This game is a night and day improvement, it should be incredible. And it'll probably be the last we see of DK for a while, too.

Yes having to shake the controller for such a quick action that you need to do all the time what beyond ridiculous. If I had everything in the universe my way I would want an art style closer to the old DKC games.

I used to dislike the controls until I started playing the way it was intended (Wiimote+nunchuck) and it makes a world of difference. It controls so naturally. The motion controls are super responsive and the analogue control adds a lot of precision.

P.S. you preferred the look of the old DKC games? I guess to each their own, but I find the more directed and complete vision present in the art style of DKCR to be far more appealing. So appealing in fact that I consider it the best looking game of the past generation, my PS3 collection included.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Chozofication"]

This game is a night and day improvement, it should be incredible. And it'll probably be the last we see of DK for a while, too.

Pikminmaniac

I used to dislike the controls until I started playing the way it was intended (Wiimote+nunchuck) and it makes a world of difference. It controls so naturally. The motion controls are super responsive and the analogue control adds a lot of precision.

P.S. you preferred the look of the old DKC games? I guess to each their own, but I find the more directed and complete vision present in the art style of DKCR to be far more appealing. So appealing in fact that I consider it the best looking game of the past generation, my PS3 collection included.

Yes with the nunchuk its better but still cumbersome to me. I am not doubting that some sort of motion input can be included it just cannot be with an action/animation that is used that consistantly throughout the game. We are past the freshman years of motion controls. If a button works better then use the button and adapt a motion control to something that a button would only do WORSE. It may just be nostalgia but it would have been nice to have a look that was more recognizable to the old games with the precision of 3d textures. The new artstyle is too similar to NSMB. But Im glad other fans are digging it!
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"] Yes having to shake the controller for such a quick action that you need to do all the time what beyond ridiculous. If I had everything in the universe my way I would want an art style closer to the old DKC games.thedude-

Yes with the nunchuk its better but still cumbersome to me. I am not doubting that some sort of motion input can be included it just cannot be with an action/animation that is used that consistantly throughout the game. We are past the freshman years of motion controls. If a button works better then use the button and adapt a motion control to something that a button would only do WORSE. It may just be nostalgia but it would have been nice to have a look that was more recognizable to the old games with the precision of 3d textures. The new artstyle is too similar to NSMB. But Im glad other fans are digging it!

i think the two things that impress me most with the visuals are the sheer amount of smooth and natural animations they gave Donkey kong as well as those stunningly complex backgrounds. I mean if the detail and depth of the backgrounds weren't enough, they almost NEVER reused a single backgound ever. Pick any level, go into it, and discover that there is absolutely no repetition to be found. that's dedication

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pikminmaniac

i think the two things that impress me most with the visuals are the sheer amount of smooth and natural animations they gave Donkey kong as well as those stunningly complex backgrounds. I mean if the detail and depth of the backgrounds weren't enough, they almost NEVER reused a single backgound ever. Pick any level, go into it, and discover that there is absolutely no repetition to be found. that's dedication

I think the graphics and style are impressive, detailed and anything but lazy. Its just a picky pet peeve of mine where I would have wanted an art style that instantly brought me back to the old games. The original DKC incited the feeling that shiny plastic toys jumped into my video games where as DKCR feels like very nicely designed 3d textures were developed. There's just something tangible about the old artstyle that would have had me more excited if a super hi res version of that style was created I would have been more content with it. But that's just a personal opinion.