Everyone Knows Punch Out Isn't A Fighting Game Right?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

With the news that the Wii will get a Punch Out title sometime in 2009 a lot of people are excited that we get a fighting game.
To add to the strangeness people actually want this "fighting" game online.

Punch Out isn't a fighter, at all.

It's a game of Simon with a boxing skin put on top of it.

Punch Out works like this. A boxer does a set of attacks and blocks. You remember that pattern and then hit the specific buttons in order to defeat him.

The boxer does the same exact motions over and over just like in Simon the same colors light up.

A boxer will do a high punch left, low punch right, block, and then a tornado spin. He'll do that every single time without deviating.

So you would dodge right, dodge left, maybe take advantage of the block and then place a timely hit at his final attack.

The idea that people want this online even more shocking. If Punch Out got online it would be a disaster. To the point where you'd walk up to Punch Out and ask "what did the bad developers do to you?"

Punch Out is about seeing the same exact sequences repeated over and over and over until you know the exact buttons to press between every action. There is no fighting here.

The overall controls are weak. One high punch with either hand, one low punch with either hand, block, dodge, and star punch. They're simple because you never need to fight in the game. Jordan has already tried to explain how online would kill this game, his idea of a leaderboard is good though.

Having two people flail randomly at each other would be a train wreck.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts
I'm not really a fan of Punch Out, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'm more excited for Beautiful Ocean next year, Endless Ocean is an amazing game and Beautiful Ocean will be an amazing sequel.
X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

Everyone who has played punch out knows this.

However, in my humble opinion, if it's a game about characters fighting each other, it's perfectly fine to call it a "fighting game".

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Everyone knows that punchout is a puzzle game. But, maybe it's time for punchout to change a little?

Still, I don't understand people's desire for this to be an online game.

nomadph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nomadph
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts
who was claiming it was a fighting game? *shrugs*
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I'll be the first to admit I thought it was a standard boxing game. I've never played the original punch out so I had no idea it was about memorizing attacks.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 goblaa

I'll be the first to admit I thought it was a standard boxing game. I've never played the original punch out so I had no idea it was about memorizing attacks.Haziqonfire

I'm a little shocked that there are gamers who have not played the original punch-out

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

who was claiming it was a fighting game? *shrugs*nomadph

How many examples do you want?

Start HERE and and read through then just browse the board from the day it was announced until today?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'll be the first to admit I thought it was a standard boxing game. I've never played the original punch out so I had no idea it was about memorizing attacks.goblaa

I'm a little shocked that there are gamers who have not played the original punch-out

It was a NES game right? I wasn't really part of that era, I was born in 1990. So I did miss out -- I only got to play some games like SMB and Duck Hunt. I didn't get into Metroid or Zelda till the N64/GBA eras either :P.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy

I'll be the first to admit I thought it was a standard boxing game. I've never played the original punch out so I had no idea it was about memorizing attacks.Haziqonfire

Oh Haz you have to do yourself a favor and play it.

It's one of the best games from that generation, a complete steal at 5 bucks

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 goblaa
[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'll be the first to admit I thought it was a standard boxing game. I've never played the original punch out so I had no idea it was about memorizing attacks.Haziqonfire

It was a NES game right? I wasn't really part of that era, I was born in 1990. So I did miss out -- I only got to play some games like SMB and Duck Hunt. I didn't get into Metroid or Zelda till the N64/GBA eras either :P.

Ah youngins...missing out on all the great klassics.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 epic_pets
Member since 2008 • 5598 Posts
Everyone whould know this
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haziqonfire

goblaa

yeah, well, theres always VC :) I got some games I never got to play on VC like Super Metroid and Starfox 64.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 goblaa
[QUOTE="goblaa"]

Haziqonfire

yeah, well, theres always VC :) I got some games I never got to play on VC like Super Metroid and Starfox 64.

And hopefully now, punch-out. Totally available on the VC. :D

Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
Yay for the fact that you played the game already. Any chance you can put in a good word for me and get me a copy?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

goblaa

And hopefully now, punch-out. Totally available on the VC. :D

It's already out? I'll check it out then.
Rimsa_Laded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rimsa_Laded
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
THEY'RE MAKING A NEW PUNCH OUT? SOURCE!
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 goblaa

THEY'RE MAKING A NEW PUNCH OUT? SOURCE!Rimsa_Laded

New punch-out.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

Yay for the fact that you played the game already. Any chance you can put in a good word for me and get me a copy?Cesar_Barba

I'll do my best.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
but wut about teh punching and teh uppercutting? :( I've never played the game either... well actually I have played it, but not to the extent everyone else has. It was one of those games I never got to sit down with back in the and play like I did with Mario bros, but one can easily tell it is not a fighting game. My most recent exposure to the game would be one of those micro games on Warioware. :P
Nachician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nachician
Member since 2006 • 212 Posts
Following that logic, Megaman is a Simon game with a platformer skin, since its bosses have predefined patterns, and do not change behavior according to your position, etc.
Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

Following that logic, Megaman is a Simon game with a platformer skin, since its bosses have predefined patterns, and do not change behavior according to your position, etc.Nachician

Haha, it is somewhat similar in style to most classics games.

1. Learn as much about the boss's attack patterns before you die.

2.Press start to continue.

The Punch-Out!! series is fantastic. I hope the new one is as enjoyable as the last two.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
Well, the Simon analogy is slightly incorrect, as it doesn't count for the random timing of when the enemy starts his sequence of hits. There is a little bit of reflex testing in punch out, because of this. (Ie: glass joe winds up for his punch so you have plenty of time to dodge... mike tyson [I haven't played the mr. dream version] winks and it's instant punch in your face... etc. hehe).
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

[QUOTE="nomadph"]who was claiming it was a fighting game? *shrugs*Jaysonguy

Start HERE and and read through then just browse the board from the day it was announced until today?

Ah my thread!!! But i always knew that punch out!! was more of a puzzle game anyway.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'll be the first to admit I thought it was a standard boxing game. I've never played the original punch out so I had no idea it was about memorizing attacks.goblaa

I didn't get a console til I played Goldeneye at a friends house on his N64 and was like "I NEED one of these"

I believe I was too stupid to feed myself around the time punchout came out

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#26 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I guess I'll be the first to say that Punch-Out! Wii technically should fall in the sports category, even though it kind of breaks a lot of rules for a sports genre.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'll be the first to admit I thought it was a standard boxing game. I've never played the original punch out so I had no idea it was about memorizing attacks.Haziqonfire

I'm in the same boat. Sort of.

I was born about the same time as you, but played the NES when I was a child (Metroid was my favourite and Ice Hockey is a blast). I never new what the SNES was, so I completely missed it and moved onto the N64 and PS1. I played the SNES when I was at a friends house like 5-10 years later :lol:.

I didn't even know what game of game Punchout was, until I saw the boxart with boxers on them (anyone else see what I did there? :P ) and I assumed it was a fightiing game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#28 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
I don't see how punch-out, or really any game for that matter, is much different than a fighting game based on the way they described it. Every NPC in any game gas a preset movement pattern, even if it's randomized the game can only do what the programmers programmed it to do. While I don't think punch-out is a 'fighting' game, per-se, you could say that on a technical level it's all the same deal.
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts

Me either I never played Punch Out! or knew how it really worked. Seriously.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#30 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
I know it works that way but what is stopping Nintendo to do some serious changes on the gameplay? I am waiting for some gameplay impressions.
AAwiidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AAwiidog
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts
i had no idea it wasnt a fighting game, i never even heard of punch out (im only 12) before it was announced for wii adn i just assumed that it was another over-hyped boxing game, and i know people will hate me for saying this but it sounds like the origanl punch out was stupid and if this follows the same formula it will be too (the "simon says" aspect sounds lame)
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
punch-out multiplayer? that's illogical
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

punch-out multiplayer? that's illogicalfunsohng

ive never played the orginal but i do believe its possible from what ive read about it and would be fun but like i said ive never really played it

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

Admittedly, I never played Punch-Out growing up. I didn't even know what it looked like until a few years ago. I saw it and thought "HOLY CRAP, its that game they played on The Simpsons!" I was, however, very familiar with Super Punch Out. I remember playing it quite alot on our neighbors big tv whenever their neice was over. We never could make it past the fat canadian guy (name escapes me), so whenever I saw Punch Out 1 Little Mac, i had no idea who he was because I was used to the brown/blond one from SPO.

So, a part of me is rather dissapointed I'm not seeing him in this new Punch Out, but hopefully he'll be a playable skin. I can't see how well competitive multiplayer could work, and as much as I love old school game design, if this is a retail game, its going to need some stronger legs than the main gameplay. Punch Out, even by NES and SNES standards, had very simple gameplay mechanics. This is the only game I can think of thats warranted a purchase based on sheer nostalgia for me.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11932 Posts

From what you have described it sounds like a fighter to me.

Just because it is simplistic doesn't mean it will be bad.

I could see why people would want to play this online, it wouldn't be like Simon if their are two people playing it.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
I wonder what Punch Out would be considerd.
ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts

Everyone whould know thisepic_pets

Well normally i like to prove Jaysonguy that he's wrong, but this time he's not. The Wii is my first console, so i have no clue what Punch Out is. From the pictures i saw i assumed it has to be a "normal" boxing game. Not that i care much baout this game, but the idea of the game sounds interesting. Mb i check it out on the vc, if it has been released in Europe.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 haziqonfire

I was born about the same time as you, but played the NES when I was a child (Metroid was my favourite and Ice Hockey is a blast). I never new what the SNES was, so I completely missed it and moved onto the N64 and PS1. I played the SNES when I was at a friends house like 5-10 years later :lol:.

I didn't even know what game of game Punchout was, until I saw the boxart with boxers on them (anyone else see what I did there? :P ) and I assumed it was a fightiing game.

Dark_Link142

lol well I downloaded the original last night, its actually really good even by todays standards. I really like it.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]punch-out multiplayer? that's illogicalwebbut

ive never played the orginal but i do believe its possible from what ive read about it and would be fun but like i said ive never really played it

Download the original game on the VC. I agree with funsohng. Multiplayer on Punch-Out would not be the same Punch-Out. I don't want PO to be multiplayer or online.

For me, a fighting game is Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. Punch-Out is a boxing game so it will be a sport game. Punch-Out is an arcade boxing game.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]

Haziqonfire

lol well I downloaded the original last night, its actually really good even by todays standards. I really like it.

I'm glad that you liked the original. Soda Popinski was my favorite boxer along with Don Flamanco. His drunk dance and laugh are still funny.

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

I'm not really a fan of Punch Out, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'm more excited for Beautiful Ocean next year, Endless Ocean is an amazing game and Beautiful Ocean will be an amazing sequel.J_Ford

dude what are you talking about!!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]I'm not really a fan of Punch Out, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'm more excited for Beautiful Ocean next year, Endless Ocean is an amazing game and Beautiful Ocean will be an amazing sequel.red_sovereign

I agree with Ford. Considering all the twists and turns in Endless Ocean's development cycle and it still turned out that well just goes to show how strong that franchise can be.

If you take the game and build it from the ground up on Wii hardware it can be 10 times better then the original.

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 red_sovereign
[QUOTE="red_sovereign"]

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]I'm not really a fan of Punch Out, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'm more excited for Beautiful Ocean next year, Endless Ocean is an amazing game and Beautiful Ocean will be an amazing sequel.Jaysonguy

I agree with Ford. Considering all the twists and turns in Endless Ocean's development cycle and it still turned out that well just goes to show how strong that franchise can be.

If you take the game and build it from the ground up on Wii hardware it can be 10 times better then the original.

perfect place to discuss endless ocean and successors..in the punch-out thread.

*so what can we expect in the 10x-better-future-title guys??

nomadph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nomadph

[QUOTE="nomadph"]who was claiming it was a fighting game? *shrugs*Jaysonguy

i checked out that link...nobody claimed it was a "fighting game"...sure they used the word "fight", but they never said it was a "fighting game"...how else would you describe the action that is punching?

they can't say cuddling, because cuddling isn't done through punching...

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
It sounds terrible
nomadph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nomadph
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="red_sovereign"]

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]I'm not really a fan of Punch Out, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'm more excited for Beautiful Ocean next year, Endless Ocean is an amazing game and Beautiful Ocean will be an amazing sequel.red_sovereign

well said red_sovereign, i actually smiled lolx...:)

GamerBoy53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 GamerBoy53
Member since 2008 • 2666 Posts
I've never played the original so uh, thanks for the info I guess.
red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 red_sovereign
[QUOTE="red_sovereign"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="red_sovereign"]

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]I'm not really a fan of Punch Out, so it doesn't matter to me either way. I'm more excited for Beautiful Ocean next year, Endless Ocean is an amazing game and Beautiful Ocean will be an amazing sequel.nomadph

atleast someone agrees!

_Devastator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 _Devastator
Member since 2007 • 303 Posts

Not to pull rank here, but the original Punchout! was a coin-op. Followed by Super Punchout!

Both fantastic sports-themed games for their time. The NES version, although fun, never had the same 'feel' as the coin-op.

The opponents had more character and style than the washed out NES version. Pizza Pasta, Piston Hurricane...names you would never forget if you played it during the era.

Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
[QUOTE="nomadph"][QUOTE="red_sovereign"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="red_sovereign"]

atleast someone agrees!

Count me in.