DS user run Tournaments/Game Nights? Thoughts?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts

This started out as a simple idea and after getting some positive feedback from regular DS board mods, we've decided to bring it out in the open and see what all you guys think.

What do you guys think of having user run DS Tournaments or Game Nights featured on THIS board? What games would you like to play? Would you host/co-ordinate a game night/tournament? Do you know anyone who would? These are some of the common questions we have and would like the answers from you all.

Like I mentioned this will be user-run therefore we would need volunteers to lead this. If you know someone in unions or UCBs with this kind of experience direct them to this thread. If you can do so by yourself, or with a team, all the better! This may be a good way to get noticed by the community in a positive manner

For the meantime we will be using this board for the event and you have the support of some of the regular moderators like myself, jordanelk, codinggenius and princesszelda. As time goes by we'll see how this unfolds.

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#2 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Although it needs to be well organized or it will never work out well. In the past I have had trouble getting time matched up in different timezones. I am sure Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, and Pokemon D/P would be good canidates for tourneys.
carstairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 carstairs
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts

It's not a bad idea. Friend codes are actually pretty easy to work with, so the main issue is gathering people in an organized manner.

There are quite a few popular online games, which is good. Be forewarned that a Pokemon game night would require a large number of rules, as standardized competitive battling is quite strict (and anything else is messy and unbalanced).

Avatar image for InsultToInjury_
InsultToInjury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 InsultToInjury_
Member since 2007 • 2219 Posts
It does sound like a good idea. But with time differences and such it could turn into a bit of a shambles if not delt with properly.
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
This sounds pretty cool. I would definitely be willing to help if it is a game I own (like Pokemon or Mario Kart). So if it does come to fruition, just let me know and I'll try to be here and help.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
Sounds good, Soul. What games are you planning for these tourneys?
crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

I think it would be fun. But I'm not sure if anyone needs ideas on how to run tournaments. But depending on the turnouts, maybe they can be run by regions, like North American, Europe, and so on. Have a small tourney in each region, then top players from that region can represent it.

This doesnt have to be done for all tournaments of course. But this is more of an World Cup Tournament type thing. I'm not quite so sure where I'm going with everything, but just thought I'd throw out some ideas to help with time zones if this becomes a problem.

Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Soulreavercross
Sounds good, Soul. What games are you planning for these tourneys?nintendoboy16
It all depends on the games users like yourself want.

I think it would be fun. But I'm not sure if anyone needs ideas on how to run tournaments. But depending on the turnouts, maybe they can be run by regions, like North American, Europe, and so on. Have a small tourney in each region, then top players from that region can represent it.

This doesnt have to be done for all tournaments of course. But this is more of an World Cup Tournament type thing. I'm not quite so sure where I'm going with everything, but just thought I'd throw out some ideas to help with time zones if this becomes a problem.

crazymonkey092
I really like that idea! Maybe we can even pit the regions against each other :wink:
crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
Yup, that was exactly what I meant. :D
korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 korino55
Member since 2008 • 587 Posts

This sounds awesome, and I'm with it. Like others before me mentioned, I think Metroid Prime and Mario Kart are two great games to start out with. I like the idea of separating regions and possibly pitting them against each-other. As for timezones, perhaps we could operate like television, and hold the game nights at the popular airing times for each zone.

I'll offer my help to start a night or tournament, but Im too busy to be really relied upon (sorry).

bak1234567890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bak1234567890
Member since 2007 • 73484 Posts
Mario Kart and Metroid Prime are good ideas for tournaments
darkwolfyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 darkwolfyboy
Member since 2008 • 610 Posts
Sounds like a good idea IF you can get a good amount of people, and keep it organized. If not, itll be put off. I can see it now...2 people particpating...but if it works, i'll defintily bust out MK and Pokemon D/P to play.
darkwolfyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 darkwolfyboy
Member since 2008 • 610 Posts
Also, would you only be doing competive games? Maybe as a side board, you could post up games like PMD 2, like rescue requests andd stuff. But I'm perfectly open to onl competive batlling.
Thaymez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thaymez
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts
Well Id be down for sure but Mario Kart would def be in the mix someplace
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
This is not a bad idea but what if a person that was in a tourney or game night didn't show? What would happen then?
pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

Be forewarned that a Pokemon game night would require a large number of rules, as standardized competitive battling is quite strict (and anything else is messy and unbalanced).

carstairs

Yes that is very true. But it shouldn't be impossible to manage so i think it could work.

And Mario Kart and Metroid would be great for the tournament. Plus, the new Call of Duty for DS is suppossed to have online mathces so if that games turns out ok we could consider having tournaments for it.

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts
Sounds like i could be fun. you might want to have a limit on the number of ppl per torunament or else it could take forever to finish a match. I was once in a forum tourney that just elimated people if they had to go, so the tournament only took a day.
Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts
Sounds like i could be fun. you might want to have a limit on the number of ppl per torunament or else it could take forever to finish a match. I was once in a forum tourney that just elimated people if they had to go, so the tournament only took a day.
greedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 greedom
Member since 2005 • 347 Posts

Sounds excellent, I would come to those. I've got quite a few DS games that are popular on the Wi-Fi connection. I just need to know when and where. Also, there should be some way of keeping this board organised. Scrolling through pages and pages of posts (as I imagine this board will become very shortly) to find people posting a tournament will not work well and won't last long.

EDIT: MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAAAAAAAAAAAAAART!

Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 Tailscoolio
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts
Thats a great idea... the time zones wouldn't be too hard to organize... But how do you sieve out hackers? Not that i don't trust any of you!...:?
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
This is a great idea. We would not have to worry about hackers messing anything up because they would just get the boot. I'm all for Hunters tournaments; I've been sitting on a four star rank since who knows when and when I recently played it I got stomped. Playing seriously would help get me back up to par. :P And Clubhouse Games MUST be a game on the list. That game is made for this kind of thing.
BradMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 BradMaster
Member since 2005 • 4819 Posts
Awsome idea, I can help and organize tournaments or game nights for ACWW, MKDS, MPH, CRA, PKMN, Luminous Arc and Bleach the Blade of Fate.
BradMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BradMaster
Oh and in case this works out, please pm me and let me know, I want to help make the tournaments.
bak1234567890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bak1234567890
i would be in Mario Kart, and if needed, help with it. i have hosted 2 mkds tournaments in unions but only 1 ended
Avatar image for destroyer244888
destroyer244888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 destroyer244888
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think that is a great idea to have tournaments and I think some games that would be popular are: Mario Kart DS, Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 Tailscoolio
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts
I think that is a great idea to have tournaments and I think some games that would be popular are: Mario Kart DS, Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, and Pokemon Diamond/Pearldestroyer244888
I think those are the top three...
DSFREAK4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DSFREAK4
Member since 2008 • 131 Posts
i'd play in MK, pokemon D/P, and MPH
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
I'd love to see a Sonic Rush Adventure tournament.
sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts
Neat; it's been a while since I've done something like this. I would love to help; I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but a great online multiplayer title for the DS is Clubhouse Games.
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
If this gets going, I'll participate in Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters. ~ de arimasu ;)
korino55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 korino55
Member since 2008 • 587 Posts
So can we plan on this happening in the near future?
ljackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ljackass
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Great idea. I have looked online for some tounry info regarding the ds, but never found anything. I would be interested in a Mario Kart tourny. How about a tecmo bowl one as well?
Skylarkell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Skylarkell
Member since 2007 • 2797 Posts

Great idea

I could do a Mario Kart, Phantom Hourglass and Advance Wars

HimataGaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34 HimataGaan
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

Jump Ultimate Stars is an amazing multiplayer game... to bad so few people have it...

If there were 8 people or more that would make for a great knockout tourney~

Nanu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nanu-
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts

Jump Ultimate Stars is an amazing multiplayer game... to bad so few people have it...

If there were 8 people or more that would make for a great knockout tourney~

HimataGaan

I have to agree with you. This game will be great for tournaments. ;)

BradMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BradMaster
Good news everyone, this tournament thing might start soon. I'm currently working along soulreavercross on it. If you have some suggestions or comments pm me or soulreavercross, or at least post them here.
Nanu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nanu-
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts
Of what game is the tournament going to be?
bak1234567890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bak1234567890
Good news everyone, this tournament thing might start soon. I'm currently working along soulreavercross on it. If you have some suggestions or comments pm me or soulreavercross, or at least post them here.BradMaster
cool. i will try to visit this board more often to get info.
BradMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BradMaster
Up to now we are working on a Pokemon D/P tournament, but if the people give the right amount of activity, then we will be making more from different games.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
I'm game for Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Star Fox, Bleach 1 or Pokemon tournaments, although my Pokemon aren't very high levels.
bak1234567890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bak1234567890
Up to now we are working on a Pokemon D/P tournament, but if the people give the right amount of activity, then we will be making more from different games.BradMaster
oh too bad i dont have that game:( but well i'll be waiting for Mario Kart if you make more
Avatar image for Corrupt_Serpent
Corrupt_Serpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Corrupt_Serpent
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts
Mario Kart DS WITHOUT snakeing.
BradMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BradMaster
Yep, it has to be without snaking, it makes the game boring. And im sure one will be on the making very soon.
ComboTroop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#44 ComboTroop
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts
I load of good ideas, but, how will we sort it, because i know reigions have been suggested, but how we gather together, and what games support headset voice talk??? And how will we know what games people have, because if there isnt enough people with a certain game, then this could go crashing down in flames, however i think there is little chance of this failing as Gamespot is quite a strong commiunty.
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Soulreavercross
I'm still trying to sort out and fine tune the rules for a Pokemon tournament so that it will benefit everyone. Hopefully I might get it done this weekend and signing up can begin early next week, so dust off our Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, re-connect your wifi router and think of so strategies to win.
ComboTroop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ComboTroop
Nice! I got Pokemon Pearl, and i'll love to have my first Wi-fi battle tournment/gaming night, its gonna be cool, i got level 100 Rayquirar, which my mate traded me, but the downfall is, i can only gon on at the weekends, thats when i go to the other house, were there is an Wi-fi router =( , i'll have to buy an NDS WFC USB.
Spade_Crisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 Spade_Crisis
Member since 2007 • 809 Posts
Sounds like fun. Game Nights would attract a lot of people, and unfortunately, hackers, too. Games I'm currently playing online right now are Mario Kart, Metroid Prime Hunters, Tetris DS, Bomberman Land Touch, and Jump Ultimate Stars. Timezones shouldn't be a problem. I can't run a tournament. Last time I did, it was a disaster (from a different site that had its own game night). Hope this turns out well:D
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Awesome idea. May I suggest, for the Pokemon D/P tournament, only use level 50 Pokemons? I do that way with my friends, so we can have the possibility to train new Pkmns for every new battle ;)
ComboTroop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ComboTroop
Hackers! Yea, i hate'em, first they hack the single player games, then the multiplayer games! Cmon! I mean single player hacking is alright because it won't affect others, but multiplayer hacking, its not good, it doesnt show how good you are really if you hack, there is nothing to gain in hacking, except unpopularity but it varies, and what they are doing with their hacks etc. But recently people have been hacking on COD5 WAW on the DS, i own on that game, but the hacking is very annoying because when u get a good 4 player match, you just run up to someone with a panzersreickt and fire at them, when it hits them it should be a 1 hit kill, but they just survive, and kill you! I have only played 2 matches were people have hacked on COD5 WAW, so if we do, do a torument for any game, we must filter them out! Anyway i know people in GameSpot ain't gonna hack, if someone from GameSpot does, i'll be disappointed, but nowdays its so easy to hack and cheat in games, even PUNKbuster and other anti-cheat software is being bypassed and people being able to do some hacking! Anyway, if you do own COD5 WAW on your DS look out for this player named Denniz, he done an unlimted health hack! So beware of these hackers! Also we should have a topic in the DS forum to warn people about other hackers that play on the DS!! To stop them and make peoples games, hack-free! Hopefully nobody will hack on the Game nights!!!
desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 desyple
Member since 2008 • 1725 Posts
im down for some pokemon d/p wifi battling get ready to battle:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!