Do you think Nintendo is planning a 3DS redesign?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

90% sure I am picking up a 3DS XL over the holidays. If not now (due to budget constraints), over the summer.

However, I will hold off of a redesign is imminent. Do you think so? Or should I just pick one up now?

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Another one? Nah. Besides, the 3DS XL is not better than the original 3DS. Both have their pros and cons; the XL has bigger screens and more battery life, but it's less portable and the hardware design is much worse than the original 3DS. So it depends on what you prefer. For me, the original 3DS is better. Specially considering the available colors of the XL.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CaptainAhab13
[QUOTE="Rod90"]Another one? Nah. Besides, the 3DS XL is not better than the original 3DS. Both have their pros and cons; the XL has bigger screens and more battery life, but it's less portable and the hardware design is much worse than the original 3DS. So it depends on what you prefer. For me, the original 3DS is better. Specially considering the available colors of the XL.

I doubt I will ever be carrying it around outside my college dorm room, so I think a 3DS XL will suit me just fine. ;) Thanks for your input, and nice avatar.
dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

I wouldn't say a redesign is impossible, but I wouldn't hold out for one. Go ahead and pick up your XL. Especially if you can find a good Christmas sale on it.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Another one? Nah. Besides, the 3DS XL is not better than the original 3DS. Both have their pros and cons; the XL has bigger screens and more battery life, but it's less portable and the hardware design is much worse than the original 3DS. So it depends on what you prefer. For me, the original 3DS is better. Specially considering the available colors of the XL.Rod90
you mean ascetically? Thats completely objective. I hated the Original 3DS look part of the reason I never got one. Just to front of the top screen was black which clashed with the bright colors of most models. The ugly squar edges. The cheap looking buttons.

On topic. They are definately working on a redesign. Companies are always working on a new version. the DS had 4, the PSP had 4, (5 if you count the gimped no wifi one). the PS3 has had 3 revisions, the wii has 3 counting original, no BC version, and wii mini. 360 has had two that look differenet, but there were serveal differnet veriosn of the 360 phat which all had the same case just tweaked internal builds. That said you have at least a year-year and a half minimum before the redesign hits the market. So go ahead and get a XL.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
The 3DS Xl will be $160( $40 off) at best buy starting DEC. 9 I think I'm just going to stick with my red 3ds for now.
the_phenom_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 the_phenom_
Member since 2008 • 2992 Posts
If they are, it won't be anytime soon.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well what exactly would they need to refine?

They have the XL version and the normal version.

They both have the full feature set.

The original DS saw a few revisions because the original's design quickly became outdated, the Lite didn't have en eShop of sorts, and then there is the XL version.

The 3DS with the current two forms has no ground to cover. You could argue second analog pad built in, but I really doubt it. It's unneccessary as many handheld games don't utilise it, and the option is there as an extension for the few games that do benefit from it.

The only revision I could imagine is a mini version, like the gameboy micro. But this is something I'd imagine would come at the end of the life cycle, if at all. Where parts are cheap and can be ommitted due fleeting support for the system. For example, gameboy micro came out at the end, and we're seeing the Wii mini too with stripped features and it's also coming out at the end of the life cycle.

So yeah, don't worry about. The current design of the XL is fine, and you should definitely go for it without worries.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Yes, a more modern design is going to happen. My guess is that the 3ds and out of console wiiu gamepads will receive a new design, giving the Nintendo product line a new looks. Brighter, sleeker, and better battery life. Multiple colors as well.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
Majora's mask redesign ? o3o I see that coming if it's not announced already XD
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"]Majora's mask redesign ? o3o I see that coming if it's not announced already XD

Ohh yes, this is what I'm maybe waiting for. Any zelda, animal crossing, or pokemon 3DS Xl design will be what I'll wait for...
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts
Maybe 3ds slim or mini but i dont think we will see any for a long time.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Maybe 3ds slim or mini but i dont think we will see any for a long time.osirisx3

Most likely this, Nintendo loves it's money and if the 3DS takes off I could see them making a 3DSi or something.

The_Joker1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Joker1721
Member since 2012 • 304 Posts
I hate my Original 3DS (black I mean, seriously, what was I thinking?) But I'm holding out hope for a white 3DS XL or LE 3DS XL coming soon. Still a great system. Go for it if LE don't really matter to you. Great system with a good amount of good games.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaptainAhab13
Thanks for the responses everyone -- I have decided to pick up a 3DS XL as soon as I can. :) Never had a DS either, so I'm pretty pumped to start building up my library.
The_Joker1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Joker1721
Member since 2012 • 304 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Thanks for the responses everyone -- I have decided to pick up a 3DS XL as soon as I can. :) Never had a DS either, so I'm pretty pumped to start building up my library.

Your forgiven for not having a 3DS but I shall have to strike you for the lack of a DS in your life. That good sir is unforgivable!
Nintatterdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nintatterdemon
Member since 2010 • 69 Posts
Not for a good while, no. I imagine they want to rake in money before working on another redesign. It'd piss too many people off since the XL came out not too long ago.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
If history repeats itself then yeah, I bet some sort of remake will be introduced in the future. Probably not any time soon though.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#19 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

My prediction for the next 3DS redesign is that it will no longer play DS games. I am not sure what functionality it will add though, maybe just have a lower price.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

They may get a revision, but I kinda have my doubts it would be soon, I say go out and buy the best deal for the 3DS XL & enjoy.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
Looking at Nintendo's history, I expect they will do another design... Honestly, why were people surprised when they announced 3DS XL?
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
I hope an all black XL comes out. I'm not upgrading to those colors.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Thanks for the responses everyone -- I have decided to pick up a 3DS XL as soon as I can. :) Never had a DS either, so I'm pretty pumped to start building up my library.

Hah, I'm basically in the same position (never having owned a DS, looking into a 3DS). The only reason I haven't picked one up is because I'd have to import games/system, and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle and I should just wait.