Can I save gamecube games on the Wii memory card?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

modstark9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 modstark9
Member since 2005 • 436 Posts
Do ihave to b uy a gamecube memory card to save gamecube game files, or i can just saved them on the wii memory card? Please reply to prevent my buying :)
plagueseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 plagueseason
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts
Yes, you'll need a Gamecube memory card to save Gamecube games.
monkey2go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 monkey2go
Member since 2004 • 3760 Posts
yes buy a memory card
the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts
Just so you know, the wii has internal memory, it doesn't need a memory card. For gamecube games, you need a gamecube memory card.
f5lesnar2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 f5lesnar2000
Member since 2003 • 5649 Posts
though you can store VC games on SD Memory cards
modstark9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 modstark9
Member since 2005 • 436 Posts
thanks guys, how much internal memory does wii have or how many games can it store? i didnt know about that!!!!!!:shock:
plagueseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 plagueseason
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts
The Wii has 512 megabytes of internal flash memory. The games that will take up the most room are obviously the N64 games, and since there aren't many of those even released yet on the VC, most people have barely scratched the surface of the internal memory.
jjo311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jjo311
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

Its kind of unbelieveable that a separate memory card is required to save GC games.  I couldn't believe how cheap that is by Nintendo.  There is like 512MB of space and the GC gamesaves are really small.  Why not just allow it to save to the internal memory.   Also, why cant you use the Wiimote for some of the GC games.  Between the remote+nunchuck, there are quite a few buttons available.

I never owned a GC, and there are some GC games I am interested in playing, but buying all the GC crap to make that happen prevents me from doing so.  By the time I buy the other crap needed plus a used GC game, I'm in the ballpark of $50-$60 dollars, I'd rather buy a new Wii or PS3 game for that.

Wii = remote + nunchuck ($60)

VC = remote (limited function) / classic ($20)  / GC (SMBW not playable w/ GC controller)

GC = GC controller ($20) + memory card ($15-$20)

Too many accessories IMO and thats just for single player.  Multiplayer for any of them requires more of each.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11932 Posts
No, you can't save GC games on the Wii memory.  You have to save GC games on GC memory cards.
Slingblade1170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Slingblade1170
Member since 2005 • 437 Posts
Buy the GC memory card.
gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
It seems Nintendo can save money by no longer printing the manual.  Very few people seem to read it.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Its kind of unbelieveable that a separate memory card is required to save GC games.  I couldn't believe how cheap that is by Nintendo.  There is like 512MB of space and the GC gamesaves are really small.  Why not just allow it to save to the internal memory.   Also, why cant you use the Wiimote for some of the GC games.  Between the remote+nunchuck, there are quite a few buttons available.

I never owned a GC, and there are some GC games I am interested in playing, but buying all the GC crap to make that happen prevents me from doing so.  By the time I buy the other crap needed plus a used GC game, I'm in the ballpark of $50-$60 dollars, I'd rather buy a new Wii or PS3 game for that.

Wii = remote + nunchuck ($60)

VC = remote (limited function) / classic ($20)  / GC (SMBW not playable w/ GC controller)

GC = GC controller ($20) + memory card ($15-$20)

Too many accessories IMO and thats just for single player.  Multiplayer for any of them requires more of each.

jjo311

Nintendo isn't cheap. The GameCube was programmed to be saved on the Memory Card and used to be controlled with the wired GC controller or the Wavebird. The GC is a console released in 2001 not in 2007. You have to deal with it. Nintendo and the 3rd party would have to reprogrammed all their games to be compatible with the wiimote. It would take more time and the backwards compatiblity would be ruined. You could just forget the Classic controller right now since the VC games are compatible with the GC controller.

You have to buy the GameCube accessories to play on GameCube games. It was been that in 2001 and it will be that in 2007.

jjo311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jjo311
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts

Nintendo isn't cheap. The GameCube was programmed to be saved on the Memory Card and used to be controlled with the wired GC controller or the Wavebird. The GC is a console released in 2001 not in 2007. You have to deal with it. Nintendo and the 3rd party would have to reprogrammed all their games to be compatible with the wiimote. It would take more time and the backwards compatiblity would be ruined. You could just forget the Classic controller right now since the VC games are compatible with the GC controller.

You have to buy the GameCube accessories to play on GameCube games. It was been that in 2001 and it will be that in 2007.

chris3116

I have a Wii and a PS3 so I will compare the backwards compatibility between the two. 

On the PS3, if i never owned a PS2, I can use the sixaxis controller and internal memory of the PS3 to play and save PS2 games.  I did own a PS2 and I bought the memory card adapter, used it once to xfer my old game saves to the PS3, and promptly returned it 20 mins later for a full refund.  If I run out of space on the simulated internal memory, it lets you create a new one. 

The Wii on the other hand requires all the Gamecube stuff for GC games to work.  Sure its a good way for Nintendo to make extra money on all the left over unsold gamecube addons (controllers & mem cards), but it is definately not the best for the consumer.  All they would need to do is add software support within the Wii to make the GC controller / memcards optional for playing GC games.  How hard can it be to add extra software to make that happen? Adding an interface in the Wii menu or Wii settings that would map Wiimote/nunchuck buttons to a GC controller.  They are already adding extra software stuff like the everybody votes channel, which was cool for about 5 mins.

gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
[QUOTE="chris3116"]

jjo311

I have a Wii and a PS3 so I will compare the backwards compatibility between the two.

On the PS3, if i never owned a PS2, I can use the sixaxis controller and internal memory of the PS3 to play and save PS2 games. I did own a PS2 and I bought the memory card adapter, used it once to xfer my old game saves to the PS3, and promptly returned it 20 mins later for a full refund. If I run out of space on the simulated internal memory, it lets you create a new one.

The Wii on the other hand requires all the Gamecube stuff for GC games to work. Sure its a good way for Nintendo to make extra money on all the left over unsold gamecube addons (controllers & mem cards), but it is definately not the best for the consumer. All they would need to do is add software support within the Wii to make the GC controller / memcards optional for playing GC games. How hard can it be to add extra software to make that happen? Adding an interface in the Wii menu or Wii settings that would map Wiimote/nunchuck buttons to a GC controller. They are already adding extra software stuff like the everybody votes channel, which was cool for about 5 mins.

Gee let me guess.  40 Gigs versus 512 megs of usable storage.  People are already complaining 512 is too small, but you think adding GC saves will make it better?   GC mem Cards are fine because they are cheap, and many people upgrading from CG to Wii already have them.  I didn't have CG, so I didn't sweat playing $20 for a card to save games. You showed how cheap you are by buying something using it, and then returning something.  So you complaining about how much effort (cost) to program the capability is weak, when you refuse to pay the $30 - $40 to transfer your saves.

The real question for this topic: what happened to the lost art of reading manuals?