Anyone else find A Link Between Worlds a little too easy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Just finished the game last night and I absolutely loved it.

I found the game a little too easy. Maybe it's just me getting older and finding puzzles more simple than when I was younger, but the game was an easy breeze. I only spent about 15-20 minutes on each temple.

Anyone else?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

yeah, i didn't have much problem with it. it wasn't a breeze, but i never felt stuck either. well, except during the puzzle to get the optional treasure in the dark palace >.>

hero mode is brutal though. made it to the dark world before succumbing to how harsh the damage was (granted, i was playing it because i had nothing else to play on the trip, so when i got back i just dropped it). when i get back to it, i'm probably heading straight for the blue tunic :P

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I started a second game in Hero Mode and realized pretty quickly that the combat isn't what made the game too easy. It does add challenge when every hit matters, but that's not the kind of challenge that makes 2D Zelda fun.

The challenge should be in the puzzles and dungeon design. I would have LOVED a master quest or second quest where the dungeons were redesigned to be more challenging. I had absolutely no problems with any of the dungeons, barely had to think at all. Because of that, none of them were memorable. I don't need them to be obtuse, just a little more demanding than connect the dots.

I'd pay a decent amount for master quest DLC.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BrunoBRS

@JordanElek said:

I started a second game in Hero Mode and realized pretty quickly that the combat isn't what made the game too easy. It does add challenge when every hit matters, but that's not the kind of challenge that makes 2D Zelda fun.

The challenge should be in the puzzles and dungeon design. I would have LOVED a master quest or second quest where the dungeons were redesigned to be more challenging. I had absolutely no problems with any of the dungeons, barely had to think at all. Because of that, none of them were memorable. I don't need them to be obtuse, just a little more demanding than connect the dots.

I'd pay a decent amount for master quest DLC.

while they weren't hard, they weren't forgetable either. the dungeons were designed cleverly enough and were mostly aesthetically unique enough to make up for the lack of difficulty. i loved the desert palace, for example. kinda reminded me of golden sun.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The dungeons were well designed enough so that they felt fun, but they are some of the easiest in the series. It's still a great game; I'm excited to see if Ninty uses the "any order" philosophy in future games. But this feels more like a blue print, albeit a stellar one. The total lack of a Master Quest mode is really disappointing, since it's not pure combat that's supposed to be the challenging aspect of Zelda.

Not only that, but the dungeons were incredibly tiny. Just about every other game in the series had dungeons that were longer than ALBW's. There's something to be said for streamlining, but the fact that the final dungeon took about twenty minutes was absolutely ridiculous.

Overall a good game, but not GOTY and certainly not the godsend that critics and some fans make it out to be. The exploration is amazing, as is the sense of upgrading, but the bosses and dungeons were almost all pushovers.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's definitely on the easy end of Zelda games. But, I still found it fun enough that it didn't matter too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

Yes it was easiest game in the series, but the first one in the series to really keep me entertained through out since Majora's Mask. Best game on 3DS imo. I don't know about GOTY. I honestly don't play consoles anymore because I find that the games are way too complex any where for a few hours to like 10 hours just to get in the flow. That is why Nintendo is still my favorite even in my older age. I can jump in and just play. I'll stick to my 3DS at least until the Wii U gives me enough reason to buy that.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

I have yet to play it, but my opinion is is that even if it is a bit easy, it can be a stepping block for better games of the same style.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@BrunoBRS said:

yeah, i didn't have much problem with it. it wasn't a breeze, but i never felt stuck either. well, except during the puzzle to get the optional treasure in the dark palace >.>

Yep, that's the only time I had trouble.

The bosses were very easy and the puzzles, as well-done as they were, never really stumped me.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

MUCH easier than LttP, but I kinda like the smooth sailing on a handheld game

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

was a pleasure to play...and yea it was on the easy side but i still had to check online for a couple things...

like how to get the dash attack. and the last master sword ore.

no one checked online for anything?? i dont believe that. maybe that last heart piece?

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Yes. That was my only problem with the game really. Hero mode does nothing to make the puzzles or enemy strategies tougher either.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS

@am_h8ter_ade said:

Yes it was easiest game in the series, but the first one in the series to really keep me entertained through out since Majora's Mask. Best game on 3DS imo. I don't know about GOTY. I honestly don't play consoles anymore because I find that the games are way too complex any where for a few hours to like 10 hours just to get in the flow. That is why Nintendo is still my favorite even in my older age. I can jump in and just play. I'll stick to my 3DS at least until the Wii U gives me enough reason to buy that.

easiest in the series? play phantom hourglass and come back later :P

seriously, i had to force myself to stop playing the game, because i was about to finish it less than a weekend through.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts

First time I entered the Lorule...I was like..shit this game is going to be hard, but after getting some more hearts, sword upgrade and tunic, the game became really too easy.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@BrunoBRS said:

while they weren't hard, they weren't forgetable either.

I remember the temple with the water flows, because I thought finally, a dungeon that might have awesome puzzles! Then they turned out to be incredibly straightforward.

I also remember the hands from the ceiling because that was a great way to use them, but there weren't really any puzzles involving them.

You go on the outside of the first dungeon. There's one with really slim platforms to walk across. Other than that, I don't remember the details of any of the other dungeons. I never had a "that's brilliant" moment in this game, and I always have at least one of those in every Zelda game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS

@JordanElek said:

@BrunoBRS said:

while they weren't hard, they weren't forgetable either.

I remember the temple with the water flows, because I thought finally, a dungeon that might have awesome puzzles! Then they turned out to be incredibly straightforward.

I also remember the hands from the ceiling because that was a great way to use them, but there weren't really any puzzles involving them.

You go on the outside of the first dungeon. There's one with really slim platforms to walk across. Other than that, I don't remember the details of any of the other dungeons. I never had a "that's brilliant" moment in this game, and I always have at least one of those in every Zelda game.

i had a "that's brillant" moment throughout the whole game. the merging ability and the structure alone make up for any lack of challenge :P

and the desert dungeon was tons of fun, and had a really cool boss.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I played A Link Between Worlds for the first time on Hero mode, and I downright refused to upgrade my tunic at any point, this made things quite tense if you ask me since plenty of bosses and enemies could one shot me. Wasnt terribly hard though due to the fact that for me to take damage and go down in one strike I would have to get hit in the first place, and the enemies and their attacks are quite easy to avoid.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Yes. Dungeons were too easy, and dying was impossible unless you tried to get killed. 20 hearts, 4 blue potions and a bottled fairy made you invincible. I never died, so I'm planning to try out hard mode soon. It's just a little dissapointing that the only difference is the damage enemies do, since the enemies probably wont be hard to kill anyway. Not a fan of how you hire things, either. You only needed like 1 item through a whole dungeon, which means very simple puzzles.

Overall, a really fun game, but too easy both battle-wise and puzzle-wise.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

It was extremely easy. I only died once, due to the game glitching on me.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Nothing against DS but the games have always seemed easy..which may appeal to a younger crowd. Not judging anyone who likes handhelds.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

@BrunoBRS: I finished ALBW 100% in 13 hrs. Phantom Hour Glass was easy also. In fact, that game sucked. ALBW was easy but a damn fine game.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@calway55 said:

Nothing against DS but the games have always seemed easy..which may appeal to a younger crowd. Not judging anyone who likes handhelds.

This is part of why I dislike handheld games, the challenge just isn't there. And that's a big part of why I play games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@calway55 said:

This is part of why I dislike handheld games, the challenge just isn't there. And that's a big part of why I play games.

The challenge is totally there. Maybe not look after it in Zeldas? That all handheld games are easy is a very dumb statement.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@calway55 said:

Play Shin Megami Tensei IV on the standard difficulty then come back here and tell me that. There are plenty of challenging handheld games, most of them strategy/ RPG type games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I played A Link Between Worlds for the first time on Hero mode, and I downright refused to upgrade my tunic at any point, this made things quite tense if you ask me since plenty of bosses and enemies could one shot me. Wasnt terribly hard though due to the fact that for me to take damage and go down in one strike I would have to get hit in the first place, and the enemies and their attacks are quite easy to avoid.

I'm sure Hero mode is fun and all, but I don't believe Zelda was ever about how difficult the enemies were. I was hoping for something where I was scratching my head numerous times trying to figure out where to go next. I never had any of those moments in this game.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

#

@Litchie said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@calway55 said:

The challenge is totally there. Maybe not look after it in Zeldas? That all handheld games are easy is a very dumb statement.

Haven't played my DS games for a long time. I will rephrase what I said.. the ones I'd be interested in always look like they are made for a younger crowd. I said I wasn't judging. I obviously don't have the expertise you have in the handheld world. I play mostly Nintendo 1st party games. All have been easier then console games.