3rd Party Gamecube Controllers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Emulatorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Emulatorman
Member since 2003 • 476 Posts

Well i got a wii and ive been meaning to try out some gamecube games like SSBM. I've been looking on ebay for games and controllers and often see something like this

has anyone tried these controllers before? for every system i've owned so far i've had a 3rd party controller and they usually end up going bad after a while with either loose buttons or some piece falls off or somethin so im generally weary of 3rd party products.

any information would be nice, thx

ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ZinkOxide
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
I've had a Mad Catz for like 4.5 years.  I really like it, it fits my hand well, but I understand others have had problems with wear and tear.  It depends- often you can find a 3rd party one that's more customized to your grip and hand, but it might wear out faster.  Up to you.
mkfalcon2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mkfalcon2007
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts

just buy first party official controllers from nintendo.  i bought a mad catz gc before, worked for a while..but after some games, the joy sticks was always out of the neutral position..so hwhen i started playing the controls would be messed and i had to reset the controller each time (x+y+start).   since they came out, ive had 2 wave birds - one fell down the stairs....but they both work likea charm.  and 2 regular nintendo controllers, niether with any problems.  sure they may be 10, 15$ more...but hey, they last!

about the controllers in ur picture, they look alot like the real gc ones...but hey thgird party = cheaper materials, lower quality in most cases....u wanna risk that? 

Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts

those look like first party controlersbut i have one thing to say,do not get a mad catz controller they are horrible and extremley touchy controlls

darthblob10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 darthblob10
Member since 2006 • 2236 Posts

get the 1st party ones. those other ones arnt as good

Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
dude ur avatar is awesome "botha" lol idk if u will see this but i just wanted to congrajulate u on ur awesome avatar
Emulatorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emulatorman
guess ill go with the officials then thx
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#9 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
dont get madcats,  controller or pelican i had so many mad cats joysticks go out of neutral position  and i unplug it or press xyb and start and they still did not work after a day get first party they should be real cheap now
stilfro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stilfro
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts
Almost as lame as buying a 3rd party Wii Remote. Don't bother, Nintendo knows what they're doing.
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
Note a third party gamecube controller can have a really short cord. I had to buy an extender because the cord was just three feet long.
Emulatorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emulatorman
i found some reviews on this particular brand of 3rd party, they look just like the originals but the reviews clearly state they are extremely sub-par so im definitely going to look for some original nintendo made controllers. just won the auction for Super Smash Bros Melee :D
NintendoGuy128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NintendoGuy128
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Had at least three 3rd party GC controllers and they all wore out in less than a year. Lesson learned: Always buy the real deal. (Unless its for memory cardds)
pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

If you're going to get a 3rd party GC pad, never use it for SSBM (I've had three analog sticks just literally snap and rendered useless). Only the official ones can withstand the abuse. ;)

EDIT: If you can't find an original GC pad, find the white ones Nintendo made for Wii. They have longer cords too.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
Like everyone has said get a 1st party its worth, most of the 3rd party controllers are pretty poorly made i've only gotten lucky with a couple.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I say don't bother and try your best to find a wavebird controller. Try Craigslist.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

1st party usually last longer, but the joint sticks always get messed up some how.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

I bought two third party controllers. At least one of them was screwing up stick inputs, and one or both had buttons that became semi-functional. I opened up both of them to see what I could do, and I managed (though I have no idea how) to make one of them work fine except for the d-pad.

Do not buy third party GC controllers. They might be really cheap, but the quality is more than spotty.