3ds XL first impressions thread

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ok..here is a thread for your own mini review.

heres mine..

its easier to stay in the sweet spot..but is maybe a bit harder to find and still have to keep the 3ds very still. i think theres more ghosting now too.

steel diver: image looked a bit duller... the little fishes swimming around and stuff werent as cute as on the small 3ds screen
the bottom touch pad was better...it picked up my stylus movements better.

rayman 2: well.. again the screen seems slightly less vivid...like a bit duller...but the size makes it easier to play

starfox 64: this game was totally better on the xl...in every way

just tried pilotwings: wow this is stillone of the best 3d examples on the 3ds...just awesome.

tried ocarina of time: its better in everyway on the xl

DS games:

i tried super mario 64 DS and it looks less blurry... it feels like a viel has been lifted and its slightly clearer.

Controls:
pressing the l and r buttons is much easier now....on the regular 3ds i had to hold the system a specific way to use them.

also...the dpad feels much much better... i actually found myself using it exclusively for mario 64 DS....with the regular 3ds i would always use the slidepad because the dpad felt awkward.

well guys..thats just my initial impression. is it an upgrade? yes and no.. will i keep it and sell my regular 3ds...yea, i probably will.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Woe2spread
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
agreed just got my xl and have to say its great. but not everyone can afford it so i backlash. the xl is little bit heavier for hands but all in all the screen is just the right size for most games. it really does let you rewind and relax when playing on it. i think its easier on the eyes too. but i didnt play long on the first gen its a great tech wish we got the color white tho lol....:P but my blu is still the coolness lol. lol zan on youtube makes a funny video with friends about how it makes people rage lol. very funny ep on youtube. but ya great read ty. ditto on mozt of it.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KBFloYd

i have to say... on the regular 3ds the difference from using 3d to turning it off was huge....i had to have 3d on full blast all the time.

but on the xl...having the 3d off actually looks much nicer now....i dont want to say that the 3d effect is less now but its not as huge of a difference anymore.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

It is much better than i expected.

Feels better and easier to hold.

Not cheap feeling at all, in fact its very solid. The flimsey shakey top screen in the original 3ds is gone, the XL is very stable and firm. Both the analog stick and d pad feel better.

The large, non-reflective display is very easy on the eyes.

Great audio; the stereo seperation is very good.

Finger prints dont show up nearly as bad as the original unit.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Many of my problems with the original 3DS were fixed: -Matte finish -more comfortable to hold. -Better dpad (but still in an awful, awful location) -much better hinge -stylus in proper location -less sensitive volume slider (though it should still be a volume rocker imo) Ghosting seems worse, which is unfortunate, and the pixels are obnoxiously HUGE. But I expected that and I only paid around $100 (via hilarious Future Shop trade in choices) for the XL so it's a decent upgrade for comfort alone. Screens also have a bit of a piss yellow tint compared to the original 3DS.
Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts
Not exactly too much of a difference. If you already have a regular 3DS.
Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

is the xl louder.the regular 3ds had weak speakers

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KBFloYd

Screens also have a bit of a piss yellow tint compared to the original 3DS.DJ_Lae

yea.. i just noticed this...regular 3ds is bright white but the xl has a more yellow dimmer color...

i wonder why they decided to change the colors?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KBFloYd

is the xl louder.the regular 3ds had weak speakers

Celsius765

nah...its just as loud...well maybe a tiny bit louder....still very low volume imo.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I have my Xl quite a while (guess 2 or 3 weeks), it's pretty decent and it actually made me come back to 3DS games. The transfer from my original to the XL worked pperfectly, the bigger screen is great, but I really hate that it didn't came with a second analog stick or the cpp

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DJ_Lae
Okay, I just swapped my SD card to get the system transfer to complete properly, and I have to say...that SD slot cover is one of the cheapest feeling things I've ever seen on a Nintendo system. If you apply the tiniest extra bit of pressure it actually starts lifting the back plate of the system off. edit - I like the red a bit better than I expected, though I still think both colours are ugly. ib0lDTrT5e7Y3c.jpg
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

What I like;

The finish- I'm not a fan of glossy surfaces, so the changes here are welcome. Also screenshots of this don't do it justice. Initially when I saw it my thought was "It looks cheap.". Seeing and holding it first hand changes that opinion quickly. It's well built.

The screens- Okay I won't mince words here; I'm getting old(In my mid 30's now), and my eyes haven't been all that great to begin with. With the regular 3ds I had to quit for at least 20 minutes after a half hour of play because of the eye strain. After an hour of playing this, it didn't feel like my eyes had to have a break even with the 3d on. If you have 20/20 vision maybe this wasn't an issue, but for me the bigger screens were a godsend.

Button change and stylus placement- I figured and hoped the stylus location would move, and I gladly welcome the placement. I also like the changes to the Start/Select/Home buttons as they don't feel as spongy now. Also the L/R buttons feel easier to access and while the cross pad still requires a bit of reaching, at least it doesn't feel like I almost have to dislocate my thumb trying to use it.

Games/3d effect- It actually took less time for me to find the sweet spot, and to be honest I didn't have a hard time staying in it. So far I've had very few issues with ghosting. So far the only game I have noticed it on was Mario Kart 7 and that was only because of the occasional time when we get the urge to steer or lean while playing racing games. So far I haven't had any other issues. The 3ds I hve tried so far look great as well. With the games I have they don't seem to suffer with the larger screen size.

Weight- To be honest I expected this to feel heavier, but it doesn't feel much heavier than the regular 3ds. Since it is a little longer it actually makes it a bit easier to hold, too.

What I don't like;

No 2nd analog- Not a deal breaker by any means, but it would have been nice to have one. If push came to shove they could have removed the power button and had the home button do double duty(press for home, press and hold to power off). There are not a lot of games that require it, but the ones that have the option really benefit from the second analog, plus having a second one would have given devs more options as well.

DS games- I expected this, but some games do take a hit(in some cases a big hit)from the large screens. Castlevania; Order of Ecclesia? Still looks pretty decent. Dragon Quest V? EW! Still playable and enjoyable, but it doesn't look as pretty. Again, I expected this so it's not a huge issue.

Sound- Louder than the 3ds, but only marginally. Rather disappointing seeing as the speakers look like they could deliver more. I was also hoping they would not stick with the slider, but at least it feels like it has more give to it than the 3ds one.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the XL. Small issues aside I really feel that this should be the preferred model to have due to some improved changes and better battery life. Taking nothing away from the original I just feel the changes work better for me.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ_Lae
I was also hoping they would not stick with the slider, but at least it feels like it has more give to it than the 3ds one.Gemini_Red
I was hoping for a volume rocker/buttons like the DSi too, but yeah, this slider is a little stiffer and easier to adjust in small increments. The original 3DS volume slider is just sloppy.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I just picked up my 3ds xl. Gamestop gave me a paper about transfering and I have 7 days to take back my 3ds and get the 100 dollar credit back to my bank account.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
how do other DS games look on it? Did you try out something like pokemon?
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
The 3DS XL is fantastic. Love it. Everything seems just better on it. Also the actual size of the screens didn't affect how great the games looked. Resident Evil Revelations, Street Fighter and Dead or Alive looked amazing. Kingdom Hearts looked a bit more jaggy, but not too much. Even watching videos seemed better. The bigger screens really help. Also I didn't get the shadow effect when I use 3D now. When I turned Revelations on strongest 3D, and for games that used very strong 3D, I would get a 2 picture effect, but now it is gone and that's great. Also I felt the 3DS XL feels a lot better. It seems like it was built very well, and has strong build quality. The last but not least, the extra battery life should be great as well. Its a really nice device. I haven't sold my old 3DS yet, but I'm hoping a friend buys it off me, or I could sell it on ebay. I traded in a bunch of games I don't play and got $91 off the 3DS XL so not bad. If I can sell my 3DS and circle pad pro for $75-$100 then I'll be very happy.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Dang, that red 3DSXL actually looks nice. I thought both colors looked bad from the pictures released but it actually looks nice in DJLae's picture. Anyway, I'm still debating whether I should upgrade. :P
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DJ_Lae
[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]Dang, that red 3DSXL actually looks nice. I thought both colors looked bad from the pictures released but it actually looks nice in DJLae's picture. Anyway, I'm still debating whether I should upgrade. :P

The pictures released so far as well as the system box itself don't do it any favours, as they've all been washed out. My box is almost pink most of the way around because they're done the red as a gradient. The blue is okay too but I went red because my laptop is already a similar blue and I don't need a ton of blue stuff lying around. Though on the bright side when I'm playing the XL I can't tell what disgusting colour it might be on the back (and the way the shells are designed, swapping them might not be that hard).
Blurry_pixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blurry_pixel
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

The screens- Okay I won't mince words here; I'm getting old(In my mid 30's now), and my eyes haven't been all that great to begin with. With the regular 3ds I had to quit for at least 20 minutes after a half hour of play because of the eye strain. After an hour of playing this, it didn't feel like my eyes had to have a break even with the 3d on. If you have 20/20 vision maybe this wasn't an issue, but for me the bigger screens were a godsend.

Gemini_Red

I'm also around that same age and when I bought my XL today the cashier said, "Ha...so you're getting the prescription version eh?"

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AutoPilotOn

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am really loving the size difference. Just finished transfering my data over.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]Dang, that red 3DSXL actually looks nice. I thought both colors looked bad from the pictures released but it actually looks nice in DJLae's picture. Anyway, I'm still debating whether I should upgrade. :PDJ_Lae
The pictures released so far as well as the system box itself don't do it any favours, as they've all been washed out. My box is almost pink most of the way around because they're done the red as a gradient. The blue is okay too but I went red because my laptop is already a similar blue and I don't need a ton of blue stuff lying around. Though on the bright side when I'm playing the XL I can't tell what disgusting colour it might be on the back (and the way the shells are designed, swapping them might not be that hard).

do you have a pictures of the blue. also I think that I have misunderstood the term ghosting all of these years. I thought it was a term for burn in but you guys have it and you just got your XL'x today. So what is ghosting exactly?:?

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]Dang, that red 3DSXL actually looks nice. I thought both colors looked bad from the pictures released but it actually looks nice in DJLae's picture. Anyway, I'm still debating whether I should upgrade. :Pinb4uall

do you have a pictures of the blue. also I think that I have misunderstood the term ghosting all of these years. I thought it was a term for burn in but you guys have it and you just got your XL'x today. So what is ghosting exactly?:?

I think ghosting can be used to refer to burn in.

I'm guessing they're reffering to when the 3D effect doesn't work perfectly, but I could be wrong.

Here are a couple good images I found:

DSC_0933-450x300.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

... red looks best, to my eyes.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJ_Lae
also I think that I have misunderstood the term ghosting all of these years. I thought it was a term for burn in but you guys have it and you just got your XL'x today. So what is ghosting exactly?:?inb4uall
I think it's being misused here but so many forums seem to use ghosting to refer to crosstalk (where the 3D effect causes duplicated bits around edges, particularly bright ones). The XL seems to crosstalk more than most. The easiest way to get any 3DS to crosstalk is to highlight items in Ocarina of Time 3D's shops. That bright box does it like crazy.
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 inb4uall

[QUOTE="inb4uall"] The pictures released so far as well as the system box itself don't do it any favours, as they've all been washed out. My box is almost pink most of the way around because they're done the red as a gradient. The blue is okay too but I went red because my laptop is already a similar blue and I don't need a ton of blue stuff lying around. Though on the bright side when I'm playing the XL I can't tell what disgusting colour it might be on the back (and the way the shells are designed, swapping them might not be that hard).DJ_Lae

I think ghosting can be used to refer to burn in.

I'm guessing they're reffering to when the 3D effect doesn't work perfectly, but I could be wrong.

Here are a couple good images I found:

DSC_0933-450x300.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

... red looks best, to my eyes.

thansk so much I was going to get the red but that blue looks sooo sexy. The other poster's were right the boxes and most screen shots don't do these systems justice:shock:

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 inb4uall

EDIT glitchspot destroied my post so here is the short version

that you to the two people above me

I was going to get the red but that blue looks sooo sexy. The other poster's were right the boxes and most screen shots don't do these systems justice:shock:

also thanks for explaining the crosstalk thingy. Thats a lot less severe then what I had imagined.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I got one today, but I haven't had a chance to play it. I did open it up and aside from the stylus and the fact that there's no 3D light by the screen, I really like the design. Plus, I loved the animation of the Pikmin transferring the data over.
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] The easiest way to get any 3DS to crosstalk is to highlight items in Ocarina of Time 3D's shops. That bright box does it like crazy.

Is it that bad? I mean does it look really bad? How does the 3D effect, I've read that it's more subtle and not as strong while others have said that it stronger and/or looks better. That might be a deal breaker for me.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AutoPilotOn
I got one today, but I haven't had a chance to play it. I did open it up and aside from the stylus and the fact that there's no 3D light by the screen, I really like the design. Plus, I loved the animation of the Pikmin transferring the data over. JustPlainLucas
Lol yea I was sitting in the Mall doing my transfer with my GF and she was just watching them for like serveral min straight.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shinobishyguy

How long did it take for you guys to do a transfer?

I hear they can take up to 40 minutes

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ_Lae
My transfer took a little over half an hour, and I had to plug in my XL at one point as the copy process actually stopped and told me to plug it in before continuing (though I'm sure if it had failed I would be out EVERYTHING despite it trying to be nice).
Is it that bad? I mean does it look really bad? How does the 3D effect, I've read that it's more subtle and not as strong while others have said that it stronger and/or looks better. That might be a deal breaker for me.Kaze_no_Mirai
The 3D effect seems to be very similar to the original 3DS in that it still has a narrow sweet spot. I think the enhanced crosstalk might be a result of that too, as the system now suggests 16 inches away from your face (I think the regular one is 14-15?). I can also see what Gerstmann was talking about when he said that the screen is now large enough it's quite easy to have it out of alignment just enough so that the edges of the screen are not in focus or lined up. Thankfully most of my time spent has been with NSMB2 where the 3D effect is pretty subtle and having the side of the screen out of focus doesn't really affect much other than the backgrounds, which are blurred already.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JustPlainLucas
So I just turned on my XL for the first time after the transfer and well... it's missing some stuff. Had to redownload Swapnote, Nintendo Video, etc. Way to go, Nintendo! Can't ever do anything perfectly, can you? :|
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JustPlainLucas
Resumed play with Kid Icarus on my XL, and it's a bit harder to play. Since the touch screen is larger, there's more surface area your stylus has to cover, which doesn't help the aiming much. And well, since it's bigger, it's also harder and more uncomfortable to hold.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DJ_Lae
So I just turned on my XL for the first time after the transfer and well... it's missing some stuff. Had to redownload Swapnote, Nintendo Video, etc. Way to go, Nintendo! Can't ever do anything perfectly, can you? :|JustPlainLucas
Weird, mine copied everything including all the videos I should have deleted to begin with. I ended up deleting them anyway, and was introduced to the backwards way Nintendo has you wipe stuff off your 3DS. With hold and drag being a smartphone borrow, it's amazing that you have to dig through system menus to delete even a video. Did you end up swapping SD cards after you performed the transfer? I read somewhere that it's the only way to get a perfect 3DS clone, though it also means I have to do a manual swap to the included 4GB card with the XL, as the original card is a dinky 2GB.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FPS1337
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]So I just turned on my XL for the first time after the transfer and well... it's missing some stuff. Had to redownload Swapnote, Nintendo Video, etc. Way to go, Nintendo! Can't ever do anything perfectly, can you? :|DJ_Lae
Weird, mine copied everything including all the videos I should have deleted to begin with. I ended up deleting them anyway, and was introduced to the backwards way Nintendo has you wipe stuff off your 3DS. With hold and drag being a smartphone borrow, it's amazing that you have to dig through system menus to delete even a video. Did you end up swapping SD cards after you performed the transfer? I read somewhere that it's the only way to get a perfect 3DS clone, though it also means I have to do a manual swap to the included 4GB card with the XL, as the original card is a dinky 2GB.

Ya myne copied everything as well. Your problem may have been due to you not making a backup of your sd card. One guy said he didnt and he lost all his dsi/3ds ware saves, and had to re download everything. I swapped my sd cards and everything was perfect.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#36 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i played mariokart 7 on mine and i was impressed , i saw the pipe litterally come at me ,

also there is no yellow tint i dont know what some people see in theres mine is just like my original but better ,

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FPS1337
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]My transfer took a little over half an hour, and I had to plug in my XL at one point as the copy process actually stopped and told me to plug it in before continuing (though I'm sure if it had failed I would be out EVERYTHING despite it trying to be nice).
Is it that bad? I mean does it look really bad? How does the 3D effect, I've read that it's more subtle and not as strong while others have said that it stronger and/or looks better. That might be a deal breaker for me.Kaze_no_Mirai
The 3D effect seems to be very similar to the original 3DS in that it still has a narrow sweet spot. I think the enhanced crosstalk might be a result of that too, as the system now suggests 16 inches away from your face (I think the regular one is 14-15?). I can also see what Gerstmann was talking about when he said that the screen is now large enough it's quite easy to have it out of alignment just enough so that the edges of the screen are not in focus or lined up. Thankfully most of my time spent has been with NSMB2 where the 3D effect is pretty subtle and having the side of the screen out of focus doesn't really affect much other than the backgrounds, which are blurred already.

The 3ds xl actually fixes the crosstalk effect for me. I use to get it all thetime if I maxed 3d out on Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil and Zelda. Now I can max it out on all 3 of those games, and I still get no cross talk. The effect seems much improved on the xl. Its easier on the eyes and the cross talk is non existant. Also the 3d effect seems more natural, and less cramped I guess. For star fox 3d it was a lot less flat.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KBFloYd

i played mariokart 7 on mine and i was impressed , i saw the pipe litterally come at me ,

also there is no yellow tint i dont know what some people see in theres mine is just like my original but better ,

mariokart64fan

if you hold both systems side by side the tint is slightly different....at least it was when i was transfering..

btw...mine also didnt transfer my VC games...i had to redownload everything.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] Weird, mine copied everything including all the videos I should have deleted to begin with. I ended up deleting them anyway, and was introduced to the backwards way Nintendo has you wipe stuff off your 3DS. With hold and drag being a smartphone borrow, it's amazing that you have to dig through system menus to delete even a video. Did you end up swapping SD cards after you performed the transfer? I read somewhere that it's the only way to get a perfect 3DS clone, though it also means I have to do a manual swap to the included 4GB card with the XL, as the original card is a dinky 2GB.

No, I left the cards alone. Also, some people are saying that the crosstalk is reduced. It's actually worse for me, at least for Kid Icarus. It's all over the place.
SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SmokieX
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts

I honestly don't know why I got the xl, when it's actually worse than the regular 3DS. I compared them side by side and yes there is a different tint to the xl. The 3DS is more vibrant and cleaner looking. Also brighter too. Besides the bigger screen, there's absolutley no other reason the get the XL. As for the 3D I only tried it on NSMB2, and it's the same more or less. Will try other games tonight. One little thing that also bothers me is the power button!!! It has to be pushed a bit harder now. Well mines like that anyways:(

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shinobishyguy
so hows the hinge? Is it still wobbly?
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 inb4uall

so hows the hinge? Is it still wobbly?Shinobishyguy
It sort of is if you don't have it in on of the two notches but other then that its very sturdy with 0 wobble

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DJ_Lae
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]so hows the hinge? Is it still wobbly?

A couple guys on NeoGaf seems to have had no luck and have wobbly hinges but the vast majority of people have solid ones. They fixed the wobbly hinge issue with the original 3DS model, too, my girlfriend's pink 3DS is rock solid where my launch black one wobbles all over the place. I actually kind of prefer the hinge feel of that pink one, the XL snaps in place really loud.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]so hows the hinge? Is it still wobbly?DJ_Lae
A couple guys on NeoGaf seems to have had no luck and have wobbly hinges but the vast majority of people have solid ones. They fixed the wobbly hinge issue with the original 3DS model, too, my girlfriend's pink 3DS is rock solid where my launch black one wobbles all over the place. I actually kind of prefer the hinge feel of that pink one, the XL snaps in place really loud.

So it's still a luck of the draw type of thing? I wonder if that hinge wobble thing is intentional. Like they do it to make sure it doesn't snap or something

bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bls_essex
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts
I'm pretty sure the wobbly hinge is intentional. This dates back to the dsi xl days. Not sure why it's still an issue...
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KBFloYd

I honestly don't know why I got the xl, when it's actually worse than the regular 3DS. I compared them side by side and yes there is a different tint to the xl. The 3DS is more vibrant and cleaner looking. Also brighter too. Besides the bigger screen, there's absolutley no other reason the get the XL. As for the 3D I only tried it on NSMB2, and it's the same more or less. Will try other games tonight. One little thing that also bothers me is the power button!!! It has to be pushed a bit harder now. Well mines like that anyways:(

SmokieX

i was a bit let down at first too with the lack of sharpness...but try diffrent games...some benefit a lot from the big screen.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AutoPilotOn
I'm pretty sure the wobbly hinge is intentional. This dates back to the dsi xl days. Not sure why it's still an issue...bls_essex
My gf's newer pink 3ds has tight screen my xl tight too.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FPS1337
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]so hows the hinge? Is it still wobbly?

I can say that its a lot less wobbly then the 3DS, but there is a tiny bit of wobble. It shouldn't bug you though and it feels a lot more sturdy. Its probably so that its easier for people to move the hinger around, if it was too sturdy it may be annoying to close and open.
Akkou1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Akkou1220
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts

call me a Nintendo fanboy but its superior in every way to the OG 3DS! my first impression was today while unboxing it, i took off the protective paper and the bright red just had me in awe! not to mention its curvy body, huge screens and awesome sound! uhh yeah my 3DS had terrible sound...but its amazing on the XL!