3DS will be like having a portable N64?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] ........ what was the last time you played an N64 game? because i have, and the superiority of the DS is crystal clear to me.

Whoa, really? I'm shocked by this. I still play OoT, MM, Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Pokemon Stadium 2, etc, every time I'm back at my parent's house (I was last there less than a month ago), and those N64 games blow any of my DS games (including the two Zelda's) out of the water graphically. I mean, it does have a much better processor, a graphics chip that can can do trilinear texture filtering (far more advanced than what the DS can do), and has more RAM. Oh, but maybe your N64 didn't have an expansion pack? That must be it. I still see the N64 as stronger (and its specs are still better) without the expansion pack, but it's a lot closer in that case.

i don't think the expansion pak improves the graphics of games that don't require it, at least not last i checked. i have one on my N64 since i borrowed majora's mask from a friend... nope. still look at spirit tracks and see a better looking game. and i just got golden sun today... it blew my expectations. BY FAR. it's definitely the most beautiful game on the DS and you'd probably explode your N64 trying to run it.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] ........ what was the last time you played an N64 game? because i have, and the superiority of the DS is crystal clear to me.BrunoBRS
Whoa, really? I'm shocked by this. I still play OoT, MM, Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie, Pokemon Stadium 2, etc, every time I'm back at my parent's house (I was last there less than a month ago), and those N64 games blow any of my DS games (including the two Zelda's) out of the water graphically. I mean, it does have a much better processor, a graphics chip that can can do trilinear texture filtering (far more advanced than what the DS can do), and has more RAM. Oh, but maybe your N64 didn't have an expansion pack? That must be it. I still see the N64 as stronger (and its specs are still better) without the expansion pack, but it's a lot closer in that case.

i don't think the expansion pak improves the graphics of games that don't require it, at least not last i checked. i have one on my N64 since i borrowed majora's mask from a friend... nope. still look at spirit tracks and see a better looking game. and i just got golden sun today... it blew my expectations. BY FAR. it's definitely the most beautiful game on the DS and you'd probably explode your N64 trying to run it.

it just adds ram witch lets them have bigger worlds and more content on screen.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#53 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i don't think the expansion pak improves the graphics of games that don't require it, at least not last i checked. i have one on my N64 since i borrowed majora's mask from a friend... nope. still look at spirit tracks and see a better looking game. and i just got golden sun today... it blew my expectations. BY FAR. it's definitely the most beautiful game on the DS and you'd probably explode your N64 trying to run it.

Ok, will just have to disagree then. I'm just shocked that you actually see it that way. OoT alone looks much better than either DS Zelda, and now you're saying those games look better than MM too? Wow. Oh well. I also have FFVIII and IX on PS1 and FFIII and IV on the DS and the PS1 FFs look much better as well. :? But I guess this is all irrelevant to the strength of the 3DS, which I just preordered tonight. :)
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Ok, will just have to disagree then. I'm just shocked that you actually see it that way. OoT alone looks much better than either DS Zelda, and now you're saying those games look better than MM too? Wow. Oh well. I also have FFVIII and IX on PS1 and FFIII and IV on the DS and the PS1 FFs look much better as well. :? But I guess this is all irrelevant to the strength of the 3DS, which I just preordered tonight. :)GamerForca
Final Fantasy VII-IX used pre-rendered backgrounds. Whereas the DS remakes of Final Fantasy III and IV are fully 3D.
LetsPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LetsPlayer
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts
DS = N64 3DS = Gamecube
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GamerForca
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"] Final Fantasy VII-IX used pre-rendered backgrounds. Whereas the DS remakes of Final Fantasy III and IV are fully 3D.

That's true. Not sure if the DS versions would've looked better had they used pre-rendered backgrounds, but you're right.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"] Final Fantasy VII-IX used pre-rendered backgrounds. Whereas the DS remakes of Final Fantasy III and IV are fully 3D.

That's true. Not sure if the DS versions would've looked better had they used pre-rendered backgrounds, but you're right.

if you want to see the difference between pre-rendered and real time, i suggest you compare baten kaitos with xenoblade, both from the same developer, just to have an idea of how much pre-rendering makes a game look better... sacrificing other things though.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#58 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Once again I will repeat myself

"Ok this is it
Gbc=better graphics than NES (compare links awakening and oracle of ages and seasons to legend of zelda nes)
Gba=better graphics than SNES (compare minish cap to a link to the past)
DS=better graphics than n64(compare super mario 64 DS to super mario 64) 3DS=better than gamecube(compare resident evil 4 to resident evil revelations and metal gear solid 3D to metal gear solid twin snakes)
No the ds wasn't as powerful as the n64, in fact it was around the ps1's power, but its a smaller screen meaning less is more. It's clear the 3DS graphics are above gamecubes. With games like resident evil revelarions and super street fighter 4 3d the games look almost as good as their hd counterparts. No they are worse but they look as close to the hd consoles than the wii ever did and they're not even released. This tells you when the 3ds gets near the end of its cycle, were gonna see almost xbox 360 looking games."

Here are some screens to proove my theory:

As you can see bowser looks 100 times better in 64 ds and so does mario and this is a DS launch game vs the n64 when it was a few years in.

in this image the n64 has far less jaggies, but the colour in the ds version is far better and the background textures look better.

and anyways, Golden Sun Dark Dawn on the DS, I don't think any N64 game is quite as good as it. I thought a screen wouldn't do justice and youi actually have to see the game in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9VwT8qhVFLQ

anyways last but not least, two great FPS's:

even in this one, the DS version like always has far better colour and other than that they're fairly equal, maybe the n64 version has a bit less jaggies.

In conclusion, the n64 is more powerful, but the ds has a much smaller screen making it able to have better colours. If DS was on a larger screen, it would be trumpled by the amount of jaggies, but the DS has a very small screen so it produces a better image and no I don't hate the n64 at all. In fact it is my favorite console of all time. In fact all the titles I compared I like the n64 ones much more, but the DS does look better.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GamerForca

I just need to walk away, but....

As you can see bowser looks 100 times better in 64 ds and so does mario and this is a DS launch game vs the n64 when it was a few years in.

FPS1337

*facepalm* SM64 was a launch title when 3D games were still new. Why do people use this game as a measure of the N64's strength? Banjo Tooie much? And why use Goldeneye to show the N64's graphical capabilities? Perfect Dark much?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BrunoBRS
FPS1337... you used the wrong golden sun screenshot to show how awesome it looks. you have to show the summons :P
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
No. DS is closer to being a portable N64 than 3DS is. 3DS seems more GC/Wii-ish...
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
FPS1337... you used the wrong golden sun screenshot to show how awesome it looks. you have to show the summons :PBrunoBRS
my bad I'll edit
gary3dsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 gary3dsfan
Member since 2010 • 220 Posts

The origional DS is a portable n64. The 3DS is a portable GC/Wii. Because of the small screen and its in 3D it will look more closer to xbox 360 style graphics.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
Dude.... MGS 3ds looks better than the PS2 version.. that's crazy..
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It's like this:

Game Boy Color = NES+

Game Boy Advance = SNES+

DS = PS1+

3DS = GameCube+

The DS was NOT a portable N64. It was weaker and had pixelated graphics. It could also access less RAM for games.

gohanmaster11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 gohanmaster11
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

I think you're forgetting how bad the N64 looked. Ports and Emulators (where the 'comparison' shots are from) are all much better quality than how it really looked back then. This screenshot is a lot closer to what Ocarina of Time looked like back then.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
^^^^ looks golden to me :D
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

And then you have games that look like this.

DS can never beat that.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nameless12345

I think you're forgetting how bad the N64 looked. Ports and Emulators (where the 'comparison' shots are from) are all much better quality than how it really looked back then. This screenshot is a lot closer to what Ocarina of Time looked like back then.

http://insidermedia.ign.com/insider/image/zelda_oot_ht2_640w.jpg

gohanmaster11

Here's how a Expansion Pak (the extra 4 megs memory expansion) enhanced N64 game looked like (Donkey Kong 64):

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

[QUOTE="gohanmaster11"]

nameless12345

Here's how a Expansion Pak (the extra 4 megs memory expansion) enhanced N64 game looked like (Donkey Kong 64):

ive never had an N64 so all N64 games i have played are either ports to the GC (like the zelda compilation disc, a steal at a tenner :D) and the wii VC. so if either of those are making a mess of it then this post doesnt really count.

but if we are to take mario kart as an example its a bit odd. looking at screen shots clearly the N64 version looks better but it doesnt tell the whole story. on the DS everything is very smooth and the karts are full 3D models. it runs really nicely. the N64 version uses sprites for the carts (and not that pretty at that) and everything feels jerky and off. but it is running at a higher resolution with better textures.

its the same with zelda....the animation and movement through the world in OOT and MM is poor (something which will hopefully be improved in the 3DS version). however moving through the world in both DS zeldas and the animation of link and co is much smoother in comparison (closer to WW or TP in that regard).

this could just be a case of having less experience with 3D stuff though rather than any weakness in the hardware...or due to the limited size of the carts (DS carts are much bigger than N64 carts in capacity). on paper the N64 was certainly more powerful though.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="gohanmaster11"]

osan0

ive never had an N64 so all N64 games i have played are either ports to the GC (like the zelda compilation disc, a steal at a tenner :D) and the wii VC. so if either of those are making a mess of it then this post doesnt really count.

but if we are to take mario kart as an example its a bit odd. looking at screen shots clearly the N64 version looks better but it doesnt tell the whole story. on the DS everything is very smooth and the karts are full 3D models. it runs really nicely. the N64 version uses sprites for the carts (and not that pretty at that) and everything feels jerky and off. but it is running at a higher resolution with better textures.

its the same with zelda....the animation and movement through the world in OOT and MM is poor (something which will hopefully be improved in the 3DS version). however moving through the world in both DS zeldas and the animation of link and co is much smoother in comparison (closer to WW or TP in that regard).

this could just be a case of having less experience with 3D stuff though rather than any weakness in the hardware...or due to the limited size of the carts (DS carts are much bigger than N64 carts in capacity). on paper the N64 was certainly more powerful though.

That's true, Mario Kart 64 has 2D sprites for carts and the DS version runs smoother and has more detail overall.

Also OoT and MM have unsmooth framerates and the DS Zeldas have Cel-shading and Mario 64 DS has better models.

However, the DS is lacking some key features that N64 had like bilinear texture filtering (which means that all DS 3D games look pixelated), environment mapping (like on metal Mario in SM64 for example) and the N64 can use twice more RAM via the memory expansion.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

closer to Gamecube if anything, those graphics smoke the N64.

Prince_Denspion

Not really. :cry:

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
The n64 was blurry as hell and the distance of the games wasnt very far. Most games felt like you were playing in the fog. I remember loving the first turok game but still it seemed you could barely see 10 feet in front of you.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 nameless12345

The n64 was blurry as hell and the distance of the games wasnt very far. Most games felt like you were playing in the fog. I remember loving the first turok game but still it seemed you could barely see 10 feet in front of you.AutoPilotOn

Games like Majora's Mask and Battle For Naboo had big draw distances almost without any fog.