Should I wait for the already back ordered Pixel XL 2 or...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

During the Pixel 2 live event, both the Pixel 2 and the Pixel XL 2 started to sell out on Google's online store. When the event finally concluded, most variants were sold out. For someone who was on the original Pixel XL waitlist for over 9 months, I am not too enthusiastic about being on another waitlist so it comes down to two options:

Wait for the Google Pixel XL 2 (unlocked) or just get an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Both phones have their pros and cons and both are definitely considered the best in their class. Thoughts?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu: Got any friends in Australia? its not sold out here, they could buy you one and ship it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@GTR12: Well it is looking like I will probably be going with the Note 8. Unfortunately, Google didn't learn from their mistakes and they are still having issues with their phone stock. When I was watching the press conference live, the 128GB model of the Pixel XL 2 sold out. Come on Google!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu: They never learn, even with the nexus line, it was hard to acquire.

Anyway, get the note 8 and stick a AOSP rom and you'll think it is a pixel.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

One plus.

Huawei perhaps, having your own chips is an advantage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@GTR12 said:

@mighty-lu-bu: They never learn, even with the nexus line, it was hard to acquire.

Anyway, get the note 8 and stick a AOSP rom and you'll think it is a pixel.

It is unfortunate because I was planning on going to T-Mobile because they were offering $350 cash back if you brought a pixel device over. Screwed over by Google again... how does a multi-billion dollar company have logistics problems? It doesn't seem like they care.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

If you're going to buy an android phone, I don't know why you'd consider any option other than the most recent Pixel. It's your best shot at enjoying regular OS and security updates (Google says for three years). Considering the hardware inside all the android options is mostly the same, it's really the software you have to consider.

Wait a couple months or suffer a couple years. Pretty easy if you ask me.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I'm re-thinking my recommendation on this. The Pixel 2 is your only real chance to get regular updates, and it has about as much as you can expect from an oomph perspective. But there are some reports regarding the display, including some bad banding, viewing angles, and graininess (particularly in low light and when using VR).

I'd hold until you can see it with your own eyes to see if these compromises are worth it.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Despite the Note 7 fiasco, the Note 8 was the safe bet this time around.

While the Pixel 2 (HTC) has an AMOLED display from Samsung, the Pixel 2 XL (LG) has a POLED display from LG. The POLED seems to be having some issues. Although, this might not be the case for every 2 XL.

Samsung's displays are definitely the best options on the market, even Apple will be using them as their primary supplier for the iPhone X. Both the original Pixel and Pixel XL used Samsung AMOLED displays without issue.

It's not surprising that Google made such a large investment when they purchased about half of HTC's smartphone team, I think as they bring more hardware in-house, we'll be less likely to see LG or other OEMs playing a role.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NVIDIATI

MKBHD's Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL review does a great job explaining some of the display controversy.

Loading Video...

TL:DR

• Phone is fast and smart
  • Hardware is excellent
  • Off-angle blue tint is a hardware problem
  • sRGB only is a software problem, the display is capable of the full P3 color gamut (Google might be changing this after user feedback)
  • Any other display problems are a result of quality control issues
  • The best photo capturing smartphone, period.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@NVIDIATI: Well, I am still on the wait list. I was offered the 64GB Pixel XL 2 model, but I declined because I wanted the 128GB model. Who knows how long I am going to be on the wait list and even thought the Pixel 2 / XL has the best camera (right now) the Note 8 isn't too far behind it. At this point, I am probably not going to get a Pixel XL 2 128GB Black and White model until next year so I am now leaning towards the Unlocked Note 8. Decisions, decisions.

Also, it seems that the Pixel XL 2 is having a lot of issues, not just the screen: https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/24/16519530/google-pixel-2xl-screen-issues-deep-and-unfixable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

I took myself off the wait list and I am going the Note 8 route instead. It is a damn shame and it looks like the Google Pixel XL 2 is on the brink of a major recall. When Google starts making their phones themselves they will truly be the best option out there, but until then Samsung still remains as the undisputed Android King.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NVIDIATI

You can't really go wrong with the Note 8, it's definitely a nice bit of hardware. If you wait too long, the S9/S9+ will be out before you know it. Apparently they're coming in March this year, possibly announced in February. Obviously the main downsides to the Note are the price, the Samsung software and lack of machine learning hardware. Of course, the screen is brilliant.

@mighty-lu-bu said:

Also, it seems that the Pixel XL 2 is having a lot of issues, not just the screen: https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/24/16519530/google-pixel-2xl-screen-issues-deep-and-unfixable

Circle back to the MKBHD video, his model didn't have a lot of those issues, so a number are quality control related. He did a decent job at picking out the key problems, although not without flaw. He did get a number of things wrong in his video. Of course, we'll see how a lot of this plays out over the next couple of weeks as Google is investigating any major issues, as well adjusting the colors in software.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@NVIDIATI said:

You can't really go wrong with the Note 8, it's definitely a nice bit of hardware. If you wait too long, the S9/S9+ will be out before you know it. Apparently they're coming in March this year, possibly announced in February. Obviously the main downsides to the Note are the price, the Samsung software and lack of machine learning hardware. Of course, the screen is brilliant.

@mighty-lu-bu said:

Circle back to the MKBHD video, his model didn't have a lot of those issues, so a number are quality control related. He did a decent job at picking out the key problems, although not without flaw. He did get a number of things wrong in his video. Of course, we'll see how a lot of this plays out over the next couple of weeks as Google is investigating any major issues, as well adjusting the colors in software.

Well, I have been with Samsung since the Note 2 and I have been pretty happy, but I wanted to mixed things up. Currently, I have a Note 5 and I have loved this phone, but after I cracked my screen and I started having performance issues I thought it was time for a new phone (have had this phone for over 2 years). It is apparent that Google has SERIOUS hardware issues that they really need to figure out. Instead of having LG and HTC make phones for them, they really need to start making them internally like Apple. Also, this whole stock issue is the same thing that has plagued every Google phone launch and it seems that Google is still not learning from their mistakes.

I saw the MKBHD video, but I also watched about 10 other videos discussing the screen issue and it is not looking good. When people start throwing the word "recall" out I tend to get a little worried.

The Google Pixel XL 2 might have a slightly better camera than the Note 8 and have better software (will also get updates faster), but that's it. For everything else, the Note 8 does it better- it has a much better screen, an SD card slot, a stylus, a 3.5mm jack and better water resistance.