Passbook gaining widespread support and adoption quicker than NFC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Since the other thread I made quickly degraded into a SW spat (though I have NO understanding as to how since no mention of any other OS was made other than iOS, passbook, and the comparison of how fast retailers are adopting passbook vs NFC payments), I'm paraphrasing the entire thread.

I didn't really see any benefit of having Passbook, but the benefits are starting to be very clear now.

MLB adopted it with wide open arms, even went on record to state that they would love it if they could sell tickets exclusively through passbook. Won't be long before NFL and NBA do the same.

Starbucks, Target and Walgreens followed suit as well. All in just under a month! Won't be long before places like Wal-Mart and grocery stores start employing the use of passbook to handle electronic payments or coupon-deals.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
That's pretty slick! But it looks like it's still scanner-based, so they pretty much have to be able to read a code on the screen or something? That's an interesting way of slipping past AT&T/Verizon trying to block it.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deleteduser198
That's pretty slick! But it looks like it's still scanner-based, so they pretty much have to be able to read a code on the screen or something? That's an interesting way of slipping past AT&T/Verizon trying to block it.Makari
Correct! Quite an interesting way to accept payment. Didn't know too much about passbook until big retail chains started advertising support for it
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Something like 13% of tickets were sold through the MLB app and used by PassBook users within weeks of being available. It's an impressive figure given the short time it was available. Starbucks rewards are now visible on your Starbucks PassBook card, as is the Walgreens rewards card. It's nice to see that, because it doesn't require any new hardware.

However, the real greatness will happen when users will be allowed to scan and "add to cart" in-store in places like Walmart (already in testing in certain areas), Target, or other department and grocery stores, by scanning the item as you place it in your cart. Then when you're done, you can just "buy" it all in-app, and pick up your receipt from an employee. That's what I'm really waiting for -- the death of lines.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deleteduser198
Fandango is now a full blown supporter of passbook! Pretty awesome! I checked with my local theaters and they're supporting passbook as well! No more waiting in lines at the movies. I think I'm in a position to really make use of passbook
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

I like how you edited the title with some false information.

Once again, it doesn't have quicker adoption rate than NFC. What you said is a complete lie, please remove it.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deleteduser198

Once again, it doesn't have quicker adoption rate than NFC. What you said is a complete lie, please remove it.

NVIDIATI
NFC has been around for what.. A year? Two years almost? I don't see it being used anywhere in the NJ/NY area, whereas passbook has been available for less than a month yet major retailers, sports events and even all my local theaters support it. It may be subjective analysis but it sure is telling as all heck makes a ton of sense too. Barcodes have been around, and barcode scanners are present everywhere. NFC systems are not. Not surprising. just very interesting. I was opposed to the lack of NFC in the iphone 5, but it turns out it may end up being a very good thing.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deleteduser198
http://www.wired.com/business/2012/09/iphone-5-nfc/ Wired writes a very reasonable argument as to why Passbook is and will be more successful and standardized than NFC payments. It's really not hard to see the reality of it. Passbook is already well on its way to being the standard mobile-device payment solution.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

Kid-Atari

NFC has been around for what.. A year? Two years almost? I don't see it being used anywhere in the NJ/NY area, whereas passbook has been available for less than a month yet major retailers, sports events and even all my local theaters support it. It may be subjective analysis but it sure is telling as all heck

NFC is already in many new phones and is becoming a standard feature on future phones and tablets.

NFC is also being introduced into laptop computers, all-in-ones and other electronics such as powered speakers, headphones, stereo receivers, and more.

NFC stickers and stubs are also growing, allowing users to pre-program the sticker/stub and use it in everyday applications.

NFC is in over 300,000 stores via PayPass system. It is used every day in Visa and MasterCard.

Japan, the worlds capital of NFC integration, has NFC in everything from vending machines to metro/train stations and even in billboards/posters.

BMW will be integrating NFC into their cars and specifically car keys, this can be used as a train ticket, parking pass, hotel room key, credit card, and whatever else you can think of.

NFC in USA is already being used with services such as Google Wallet and the small but growing ISIS. Retailers such as American Eagle, Bloomingdales, Champs, Guess, Foot Locker, Macys, Office Max, Toys-R-Us, Old Navy, and more already accept NFC to pay, earn store credit and redeem offers.

SITA plans to bring NFC to airports for airport parking, flight check-in, baggage check-in, access to lounge areas, airline boarding, etc.

The scale of NFC is just massive and undeniable.

Meanwhile Passbook has "widespread adoption" in a few American retailers and a sporting league.

So stop spreading false information and fix the title of this thread.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NVIDIATI
Passbook is already well on its way to being the standard mobile-device payment solution.Kid-Atari
No...
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"][QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

NVIDIATI

NFC has been around for what.. A year? Two years almost? I don't see it being used anywhere in the NJ/NY area, whereas passbook has been available for less than a month yet major retailers, sports events and even all my local theaters support it. It may be subjective analysis but it sure is telling as all heck

NFC is already in many new phones and is becoming a standard feature on future phones and tablets.

NFC is also being introduced into laptop computers, all-in-ones and other electronics such as powered speakers, headphones, stereo receivers, and more.

NFC stickers and stubs are also growing, allowing users to pre-program the sticker/stub and use it in everyday applications.

NFC is in over 300,000 stores via PayPass system. It is used every day in Visa and MasterCard.

Japan, the worlds capital of NFC integration, has NFC in everything from vending machines to metro/train stations and even in billboards/posters.

BMW will be integrating NFC into their cars and specifically car keys, this can be used as a train ticket, parking pass, hotel room key, credit card, and whatever else you can think of.

NFC in USA is already being used with services such as Google Wallet and the small but growing ISIS. Retailers such as American Eagle, Bloomingdales, Champs, Guess, Foot Locker, Macys, Office Max, Toys-R-Us, Old Navy, and more already accept NFC to pay, earn store credit and redeem offers.

SITA plans to bring NFC to airports for airport parking, flight check-in, baggage check-in, access to lounge areas, airline boarding, etc.

The scale of NFC is just massive and undeniable.

Meanwhile Passbook has "widespread adoption" in a few American retailers and a sporting league.

So stop spreading false information and fix the title of this thread.

http://m.guardiannews.com/technology/2012/sep/14/apple-iphone-5-near-field-communication-nfc?cat=technology&type=article Ouch. It seems like it's not as successful as you make it appear to be. Seems like NFC is in purgatory than it is going anywhere. Lots of telling statements from the likes of EBay CEO, and even spokespersons from ISIS. Infact, the exclusion of NFC on the iPhone 5 caused ISIS to delay a huge launch for yet another year in reaction. Of all those stores you mentioned that supposedly support NFC, none of them in NJ or NY have it. Again, I say, there is not one NFC payment station anywhere in my area.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NVIDIATI

Are you in denial or just so full of yourself and your BS you'll shut out every fact I throw at you. I'm not posting articles of speculation and what not. These are numbers, products and services.

PayPass is everywhere in USA. You're pretty much saying you've never seen one of these, or a variation of it built into a credit card terminal. Again there are over 300,000 of them and are used by Visa and MasterCard every single day. All running on NFC technology.

PayPass_Loblaws.jpg

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NVIDIATI

Of all those stores you mentioned that supposedly support NFC, none of them in NJ or NY have it. Again, I say, there is not one NFC payment station anywhere in my area.Kid-Atari
Honestly this comment is so full of ****, there are hundreds if not thousands of PayPass terminals on Manhattan island alone.

NFC is deep in places like NJ, even NJ Transit uses it.

http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TapRideTo

So stop your lies.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NVIDIATI

According to Master Card there are 4157 merchants with PayPass within a 25mile radius of New York City.

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html

And then there is also Visa payWave that adds a couple thousand more.

http://usa.visa.com/locators/visa-paywave-locator.jsp

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
And yet Passbook can't do even a quarter of what NFC can. Therefore, Passbook is superior? Puh-lease xD
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]And yet Passbook can't do even a quarter of what NFC can. Therefore, Passbook is superior? Puh-lease xD

The other things NFC can do is already mostly handled by bluetooth, save for one or two rare usage cases. Likewise, Passbook can do things NFC cannot do. Serves as your boarding pass for concert, airplane, bus and other transit tickets so you don't have to carry and/or lose them. Also serves as a discount coupon carrier.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]And yet Passbook can't do even a quarter of what NFC can. Therefore, Passbook is superior? Puh-lease xDKid-Atari
The other things NFC can do is already mostly handled by bluetooth, save for one or two rare usage cases. Likewise, Passbook can do things NFC cannot do. Serves as your boarding pass for concert, airplane, bus and other transit tickets so you don't have to carry and/or lose them. Also serves as a discount coupon carrier.

One again, false.

NFC is not like bluetooth, both have very different purposes. Example: NFC can be used to create a bluetooth connection between devices in seconds.

NFC can do everything Passbook can and more. It can be a ticket, or coupon, or anything else you can think of.

I don't understand why you make such claims with no basis or understanding of what the technology is capable of.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deleteduser198

According to Master Card there are 4157 merchants with PayPass within a 25mile radius of New York City.

NVIDIATI
Quoted from Wired "most retailers dont have NFC scanners, the few that have scanners dont always have them turned on, and consumers arent frothing for the option. Apple clearly recognizes that lack of demand and has little incentive to push consumers in that direction. While the company excels at creating technology the rest of the world never imagined and then making its devices mainstream must-haves, NFC still feels too geekily cumbersome to have made sense for the iPhone 5. A lot of infrastructural change has to occur that Apple cant control before NFC just works. But no NFC doesnt mean Apple has abandoned paying with your phone. In fact, the iPhone 5 could do more to make mobile payments commonplace than any other phone or app yet. Some of the speculation around NFC had to do with the new Passbook app, which arrives when iOS 6 launches next week. Passbook lets you keep in your iPhone virtual versions of some items you might normally carry in your analog wallet or bag: boarding passes, movie and sports tickets, coupons, and gift cards. Passbook stores these items as barcodes, but some wondered if Apple would tie NFC to Passbook to make direct payments possible. While NFC could have made Passbook more versatile, barcodes fit Apples sensibility in every way that NFC does not. Unlike NFC, barcodes and barcode scanners are ubiquitous. No one really thinks about them as technology with a capital T, if anyone thinks about them at all. Theyre just part of the landscape. And thats because they just work. People know what bar codes are. Weve been living with them for a long time, says David Stone, CEO of CashStar, which handles the backend of several major national retailers digital gift card programs. Stone couldnt be happier about the route Apple has chosen, since his company built its system on the premise that e-gift cards would be barcode-based. He says Passbooks open API a departure for Apple means gift cards issued by his clients, such as Starbucks, Old Navy, and Sephora, can leap immediately into Passbook. Stone believes Passbook will eventually offer a payment mode directly tied to your bank account. But Passbook may not have to go that far to nudge shoppers toward thinking about their phones as a standard way to pay at the register more than any NFC-enabled Android phone with Google Wallet has done." Pretty much says it. Passbook has already caught up with NFC usage in less than a month mainly because there doesn't need to be any additional system put in place. Everything is already there, and any retailer can offer full fledged support without investing a single dime. Makes much more sense.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"]Infact, the exclusion of NFC on the iPhone 5 caused ISIS to delay a huge launch for yet another year in reaction. Of all those stores you mentioned that supposedly support NFC, none of them in NJ or NY have it. Again, I say, there is not one NFC payment station anywhere in my area.

I think that's a large chunk of the NFC problems - you probably don't know it as you didn't use Android devices, but ISIS + AT&T + Verizon have been directly competing against the others rolling out NFC-based payment systems. As an example, ISIS wants Google Wallet to fail, and got Verizon to directly block the app for no other reason than 'we want ISIS to be *the* NFC payment solution, not Google.' It works fine on the S3/Galaxy Nexus, but VZW has the app banned. Ebay owns Paypal, which has a pretty long-standing feud with these alternate payment systems. Apple's being extremely creative about this, in my opinion - by staying away from being a payment solution and being a redemption solution (for something else you already paid for elsewhere), they're avoiding coming under fire from the likes of Verizon and AT&T on behalf of partners like ISIS or PayPal. Apple's probably looking to get a lot more traction in the market before they go 'surprise - now you can link your CC and pay with Passbook, too!' in the next major iOS update. With Passbook already in heavy use by that point, people would be *pissed* if they heard that Verizon was single-handedly blocking the app on Verizon iPhones as they have been with Google Wallet for the last year. In short, it's probably what everybody else should have done before they went and made enemies of the carriers. :) It does look like you're mistaken about the no stores bit, though - http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html. Without checking any of the others, there's 9 Bloomingdale's in the NYC area with NFC stations, and likely most of the other listed stores carry it. They are pretty ubiquitous in the SF Bay Area if you pay attention, but it's pretty subtle. It looks like a 99% normal credit card swiper, you just wave your phone near the CC machine and ding, you paid. Confuses the heck out of store employees sometimes, heh.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

Kid-Atari

Quoted from Wired "" Pretty much says it. Passbook has already caught up with NFC usage in less than a month mainly because there doesn't need to be any additional system put in place. Everything is already there, and any retailer can offer full fledged support without investing a single dime. Makes much more sense.

Not only did you post yet another opinion article, but you also bend the truth and restate a false claim. Not to mention everything you're talking about is USA ONLY. If you're having enough trouble understanding NFC's size in USA, then the size of NFC in the rest of world might be overload.

Do you not understand NFC payment and payment system goes beyond just a phone. Once again, two big examples:

Visa:

avion-infinite.jpg

Master Card:

Screen-shot-2011-09-29-at-1.30.38-PM.png

I also like how you brush off your lie about NFC not being in NY or NJ.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Please note that calling someone a liar is a personal attack, which isn't allowed in this forum. We expect everyone to be more respectful here, thanks.