skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 skrutop
Member since 2002 • 2262 Posts

I know that a lot of people have taken the knee-jerk reaction of blowing up about Aaron's Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction review, but I was very happy that I read it. To me, a 7.5 isn't absolutely damning, but it does mean that I should expect "more of the same," which may not be a good thing 5 games into a series. I was expecting that, but I wasn't expecting to hear that the story wasn't as good.

Though I was always sucked in by the stories and humor, I still do love the way Ratchet and Clank plays, and I would buy this game (discounted) if I had a PS3 regardless. A lot of R&C fans may be upset, but I'm not one of them; I think most games are being rated too high lately anyway.

sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts
I agree....the further along a series goes does not always mean that the games will just keep getting better, sometimes the opposite happens. Of course the one exception to this rule would be MGS. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-586cbea17e099
deactivated-586cbea17e099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-586cbea17e099
Member since 2004 • 1091 Posts

I agree....the further along a series goes does not always mean that the games will just keep getting better, sometimes the opposite happens. Of course the one exception to this rule would be MGS. :) sabru8

Actually, MGS seems to be getting worse by the game, not just by scores, but by actual content... Now, i don't mean by any way that MGS3 is bad, nor do i say MGS4 looks crap... but MGS3 just isnt as good as MGS2, and MGS2 just isnt as good as the original MGS....

Oh, and they are simply too different from the original MG games to be considered into this factor :P

borgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 borgman
Member since 2002 • 61 Posts

I know that a lot of people have taken the knee-jerk reaction of blowing up about Aaron's Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction review, but I was very happy that I read it. To me, a 7.5 isn't absolutely damning, but it does mean that I should expect "more of the same," which may not be a good thing 5 games into a series. I was expecting that, but I wasn't expecting to hear that the story wasn't as good.

Though I was always sucked in by the stories and humor, I still do love the way Ratchet and Clank plays, and I would buy this game (discounted) if I had a PS3 regardless. A lot of R&C fans may be upset, but I'm not one of them; I think most games are being rated too high lately anyway.

skrutop

Some things needs to be brought up here..

1. Aaron's opinion is just his opinion. It's not fact for everyone and his honesty doesn't mean that the game is actually a 7.5 for everyone. It works for him, you, and a few others, but not for everyone.

2. R&C is more of the same? Sure in some areas, but it has a ton of new stuff. How does this differ from Halo 3 then? I've played half way through Halo 3 and yes it's more of the same with an extra weapon here or there. It's a good game, but not a 9.5 imo. It's no more original in it's third round than R&C. Its advantage over R&C ToD is multiplayer. That's where it starts and ends, still not enough to merit a 9.5 imo.

3. I agree with you on games being rated too high of late. Games like Bio-shock and Gears of War deserve their score. They're great and have a strong sense of original gaming, but on the other side of things lots of games gotridiculously high scoresbecause of the hype that was associated with them. Halo 3 is a perfect example.

4. How can you agree with Aaron's opinion on ToD if you haven't even played it? At least I've played Halo 3, GoW, and Bio shock to comment on their scores. If you actually played it, you may or may not agree with Aaron. That's the point of playing then commenting. It carries so much more weight that way.

Zero_Beat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -9

User Lists: -1

#5 Zero_Beat
Member since 2003 • 1307 Posts
IMO Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best of the bunch.
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 nemt
Member since 2003 • 1345 Posts
MGS2 is the worst game I've ever played. The other two are all right.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

1. Aaron's opinion is just his opinion. It's not fact for everyone and his honesty doesn't mean that the game is actually a 7.5 for everyone. It works for him, you, and a few others, but not for everyone.

borgman

Hehe I remember all too well Grek Kasavin's answer to the "reviews are just opinions" mantra. He pointed out that even some reviewers are fond of saying that, and replied "next time [they] should keep it to [themselves]".