Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Dancewiz2
Member since 2005 • 242 Posts
my old computer is getting replaced so they gave me $1,990 for a new one. I am normally a laptop person and have never had an Apple. So they suggested the HP Pavilion dv8380us notebook. We then got talking about apple and desktops, and they suggested the Apple imac Desktop. I tooled them I was a little scared to switch to a Mac. The said that there is an $80 program that lets me run my old pc games an windows XP. The also said that Apple is way better then a pc. What computer should I get?
Bizzy-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bizzy-B
Member since 2003 • 6354 Posts
it may still be in beta but i would use boot camp instead of some $80 third-party program.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
Here's a huge thread on the Apple/PC argument.  http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24892948

I'd stick with the PC if that's what you know best.  If you go with a Mac you'll have to relearn everything.  Macs tend to be pricey-er than PCs and if you want to run Boot Camp (or even their program) you'll still need a legit copy of XP ....which adds to the price of a Mac.
Jaeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaeboy
Member since 2003 • 157 Posts
I have been using Windows for 10 years, switched to make for since 4 months now. Never did I regret my decision. Took me a week to find the windows equivalent apps for mac, and the Apple user support forum is so helpful. I installed bootcamp for fun but only ran it a few times, I found everything I used to love on a windows in a mac.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
The $80,- program you're talking about is called Parallels, with it you can run windows in a shell environment. It works for all your regular win only software, but it doesn't really support videogames. Bootcamp runs videogames pretty well, it's still in beta but it will be bundled in the Leopard update of OSX early next year. I switched to apple in may and I really like it, there's not such a great difference between the 2 operating systems, but OSX is just more fun.
Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dancewiz2
ya Parallels. so it will run my old windows games if I install parallels and windows XP?
ZiggyStarbuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZiggyStarbuck
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts
I prefer Apple, though I use a PC.
Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dancewiz2
I am off to compUSA any last words??
Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dancewiz2
anybody ?
Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dancewiz2
how much is boot camp?
Aeronautical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Aeronautical
Member since 2005 • 2039 Posts
I use my PC mainly for gaming, I prefer Apple for everything else.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
If you have an intel-mac you can run both Windows and OS X, just not at the same time. If you want to change from one to the other you reboot, the similar to what the older Mac owner did between OS X and OS 9. I had to stay with the classic iMac because much of my material is written in OS 9 and that is not supported by the intel mac because the CPU is a C86 which is the same model used by the Linux computers rather than the C5 which I have and which is what Apple had been using up until now for the Macintosh computers. If you get the Intel Mac you can use Windows the same as any other PC now due to the C86 processor and will be able to play your games the downside is you will no longer be able to use the "Classic Mac" Operating System OS 9 and will now be open to viruses and worms from which up until now a Mac user was immune, but with McAfee or Norton shouldn't be a worry anyhow.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
The theory anyway is that when 10.5 Leopard is launched next year there won't be much the intelmac can't do,Here's a link Mac 10.5 Leopard You need 10.4.6 or later to run bootcamp, I have 10.4.7 running on my iMac right now so it's available:) here's a link to bootcamp if you don't already have it: Bootcamp When Leopard(10.5) comes out you won't need the bootcamp download because that will be included but it isn't scheduled until August of 2007 so might as well get it now. Apple introduces Bootcamp I hope this will be of some help.
Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dancewiz2
thank you Leopard looks really cool. I really like time machine its a great idea.
woodstockc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 woodstockc
Member since 2003 • 186 Posts
PC all the way.  I think vista is going to beat out mac os
skylerpwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skylerpwns
Member since 2005 • 627 Posts
how much is boot camp?Dancewiz2
It's free. I just recently got a MacBook Pro over the summer and it's the best computer I've ever owned. I can use OS X for genral computer usage, and then switch over to Windows XP for games.
corlorde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 corlorde
Member since 2004 • 483 Posts
For pure gaming, I prefer PC. For reliability with the internet, phots, email, etc. Mac.
corlorde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 corlorde
Member since 2004 • 483 Posts
For pure gaming, I prefer PC. For reliability with the internet, phots, email, etc. Mac.
Avatar image for boocreepyfootdr
boocreepyfootdr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 boocreepyfootdr
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts

You could get a great laptop for that price too, and unless you want to play high-power PC games like Crysis, notebooks these days can go toe to toe with just about everything else desktops can do, with the portable advantage.

As far as Macs go, they may be hard to get used to, but they are great in the long run. For games, you can now run Windows and therefore many Windows games, but high-end graphics cards and fast enough processor for some of those games may not be available for the Mac yet.

sigma8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sigma8
Member since 2003 • 2665 Posts
If you're curious about getting a mac, just get a mac. Boot camp lets you do a dual-boot config to use Windows XP, and if you really wind up hating Mac OS X (unlikely) you can just ignore it, and only boot into XP. Pricewise, macs compare very favorably to major PC brands. I wouldn't get an iMac though. For $2000, I'd probably either get a MacBook Pro, or a Mac Pro. The iMac's really aren't much better than a MacBook pro, in terms of graphics adapters. They might even be a little better. And you can't upgrade the graphics adapter in either one. The Mac Pro's are normal desktops, so not only do they ship with better graphics cards, but you can also upgrade them later. For the money, the Mac Pro's are pretty well equipped. Quad core.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
I think that Apples are better, but so many more places support PCs, so I'm sticking with a PC
Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dancewiz2
Is it just me or does vista look like a copy of mac os x?
Dancewiz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dancewiz2
And has anyone played Civilization IV on an apple and did it run well?
skylerpwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skylerpwns
Member since 2005 • 627 Posts
And has anyone played Civilization IV on an apple and did it run well?Dancewiz2
Not sure which processor your mac has, but it runs fine on my Intel mac.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
    Mac, hands down. You should partition your HD though, and install Windows XP or Vista for those games that aren't available for OS X.
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts
my old computer is getting replaced so they gave me $1,990 for a new one. I am normally a laptop person and have never had an Apple. So they suggested the HP Pavilion dv8380us notebook. We then got talking about apple and desktops, and they suggested the Apple imac Desktop. I tooled them I was a little scared to switch to a Mac. The said that there is an $80 program that lets me run my old pc games an windows XP. The also said that Apple is way better then a pc. What computer should I get?Dancewiz2
\ First off who are "they"? Who gave that much money to get a new computer? Anyway......if I had the cash I would go with the new Apple with Intel so you can still run Vista.
fahad2mail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 fahad2mail
Member since 2006 • 1471 Posts
Though now a days, apple start using core 2 duo processors on their system, there is not a much different between pc and mac like before. i want all type of flixibility. so i switch to pc. mac is only for dreamers and passion. not for a gamer.