Your personal gaming rules you follow

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 FanboyMcTroll
Member since 2017 • 274 Posts

I have 3 personal game rules that I follow. If any of these 3 rules are in games, I refuse to play that game because I know I will not like it and end up hating it and eventually I might even smash the game or a controller or the TV or whatever. So out of aggravation and frustration I follow these 3 rules of games I will not play

1. No platforming games

2. No Quick Time Event games

3. No games with respawning enemies.

What are your personal game rules you have?

Avatar image for reaperinthyname
reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 reaperinthyname
Member since 2018 • 273 Posts

To save money, I will only buy games that I really, really, REALLY like. Except for when they get a price cut.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

I don't have rules, but I like my games finished on release and without microtransactions. Yeah ok, one rule: Never buy a game from EA.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Just recently:

1. No online only games.

2. No multiplayer only games.

3. No EA games.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FanboyMcTroll

@todddow: What's with the no EA games, what's wrong with EA, did I miss a memo on not playing EA games??

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Todddow

@fanboymctroll said:

@todddow: What's with the no EA games, what's wrong with EA, did I miss a memo on not playing EA games??

Yes, you missed it.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

1. no combat only focused games

2. no 3rd person view

3. no story based

4. no busy interface with numbers poping all over the place, icons telling me where to go, paths in telling me where to go etc.

(there can be exceptions but that is in general the rule)

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FanboyMcTroll

@todddow: So what did the memo say? What's with the hate on for EA? I have played their sports games, I think they are ok, so what's wrong with EA?

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

I must choose only half or more games of a series, and they can't be direct sequels, unless one of them is different enough.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Todddow

@fanboymctroll said:

@todddow: So what did the memo say? What's with the hate on for EA? I have played their sports games, I think they are ok, so what's wrong with EA?

Besides the Battlefront 2 microtransaction fiasco?

For me, Mass Effect Andromeda was a waste of money, if was so AWFUL on so many levels.

Battlefront 1 was some of the worst gameplay I've played in a long time. BF2 just looks like more of the same.

Battlefield 1 I borrowed from a friend, it was so linear and boring. Might as well been Battlefield 1942 Remastered.

For Honor had potential, but the online community and the P2P system made the game unbearable to play.

Their sports games are the same thing over and over.

They cancelled the long awaited Star Wars single player RPG and shut down the studio developing it.

EA will focus on online, multiplayer games and microtransactions to milk consumers. EA now has NOTHING left that interests me anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I have no rules I just buy what I like.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FanboyMcTroll

@todddow: Fair enough, now I understand your hate on for EA. It's kind of how I feel about Capcom

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TryIt

@fanboymctroll said:

@todddow: Fair enough, now I understand your hate on for EA. It's kind of how I feel about Capcom

gamers pay too much attention to the developer and not enough attention to the games

why?

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Todddow

@tryit: I can't speak for all gamers, but if you read my post above about each individual game, it's that combination of everything from each game as to why I hate the "developer", assuming you mean EA (publisher) in this case?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TryIt

@todddow said:

@tryit: I can't speak for all gamers, but if you read my post above about each individual game, it's that combination of everything from each game as to why I hate the developer (EA).

doesnt really answer my question.

what I have noticed is that most games (on forums at least) spend more attention on the developer and less attention on the game.

I have games (most of my games in fact) in which I dont even know who the developer is, I play them a lot even.

why the difference?

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Todddow

@tryit: it does answer your question. I've had bad experience after bad experience with individual games from EA. Those all added up to my dislike for them. Add in the other reasons I listed and that is all why. I didn't just wake up and decide to dislike them, and it wasn't just a single incident.

You don't buy a great or a bad game and ever look to see who made either one?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

1. Don't take the fun part seriously

2. Take the artistry, design, and ethical part seriously

3. Don't forget: they are just games.

4. Never pre-order

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TryIt

@todddow said:

@tryit: it does answer your question. I've had bad experience after bad experience with individual games from EA. Those all added up to my dislike for them. Add in the other reasons I listed and that is all why. I didn't just wake up and decide to dislike them, and it wasn't just a single incident.

no you are answering for yourself and specifically around EA.

I am asking as a whole, on average, most gamers, appear to know more about a developer then they do about games. overall, all gamers, all developers, all games.

not just you and your experience with one developer.

I am asking why is it a trend overall? (I know the answer, just seeing if other people do)

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FanboyMcTroll

@tryit: Certain developers tend to make similar type games, so if they make a game you don't like, chances are they will release a different game with similar things you don't like in it as well. I don't think players specifically focus on the developers when looking at faults in games, it's just that some developers focus more on micro transactions or specific type of game formats.

I play most games, but in the past when I look back it seems to me that I always end up hating most Capcom games, I don't look specifically at Capcom it's just most of their games I have played I really hated but I don't usually focus on the developer

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TryIt

@fanboymctroll said:

@tryit: Certain developers tend to make similar type games, so if they make a game you don't like, chances are they will release a different game with similar things you don't like in it as well. I don't think players specifically focus on the developers when looking at faults in games, it's just that some developers focus more on micro transactions or specific type of game formats.

I play most games, but in the past when I look back it seems to me that I always end up hating most Capcom games, I don't look specifically at Capcom it's just most of their games I have played I really hated but I don't usually focus on the developer

the actual reason is called 'product identity' which is a marketing technique to get kids to self identity with a brand (like Coke) for example

then the purchase becomes more of an expression of ones identity then it does an evaluation of the actual product.

and its thick. gamers talking about developers is common, gamers talking about actual game is rare.

tell me xbox vs sony is not all about product identity

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FanboyMcTroll

@tryit: I agree it is, but for most gamers do you think they look for a type of game they like, let's say a FPS or do they look at the developer making that game.

For me I don't care who makes it, I care about the type of game it is. If it's a platform game, I'm not getting it, I don't care who made it, now if it's a adventure game, I'm getting it, it's irrelevant to me who developed it.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TryIt

@fanboymctroll said:

@tryit: I agree it is, but for most gamers do you think they look for a type of game they like, let's say a FPS or do they look at the developer making that game?

(edited so I can answer you directly)

answer: The developer

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@todddow said:
@fanboymctroll said:

Besides the Battlefront 2 microtransaction fiasco?

For me, Mass Effect Andromeda was a waste of money, if was so AWFUL on so many levels.

Battlefront 1 was some of the worst gameplay I've played in a long time. BF2 just looks like more of the same.

Battlefield 1 I borrowed from a friend, it was so linear and boring. Might as well been Battlefield 1942 Remastered.

For Honor had potential, but the online community and the P2P system made the game unbearable to play.

Their sports games are the same thing over and over.

They cancelled the long awaited Star Wars single player RPG and shut down the studio developing it.

EA will focus on online, multiplayer games and microtransactions to milk consumers. EA now has NOTHING left that interests me anymore.

not to nitpick but for honor is ubisoft.

tbf i feel the same way about ubi as you do ea.

@tryit said:
@todddow said:

I am asking as a whole, on average, most gamers, appear to know more about a developer then they do about games. overall, all gamers, all developers, all games.

I am asking why is it a trend overall? (I know the answer, just seeing if other people do)

why are you asking him to come up with an answer to an unfounded broad generalisation you've just made up about gamers caring more about devs than games?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TryIt

@tryit said:
@todddow said:

why are you asking him to come up with an answer to an unfounded broad generalisation you've just made up about gamers caring more about devs than games?

because the evidence I have seen suggest that its true.

occam's razor - when people make more assertions of one thing and less of another thing its safe to assume they care more about what they are asserting more.

that is yet another way of saying 'gamers talk more about developers then they do games' from what I have seen.

that is something that can be quantified if we want to put in the work. why would one talk more about something they care less about?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

No rules for me really, closest thing to a rule I can think of is getting games as cheaply as possible. Rarely do I buy day one, and I'll wait for sales or the price to drop over time.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@fanboymctroll said:

I have 3 personal game rules that I follow. If any of these 3 rules are in games, I refuse to play that game because I know I will not like it and end up hating it and eventually I might even smash the game or a controller or the TV or whatever. So out of aggravation and frustration I follow these 3 rules of games I will not play

1. No platforming games

2. No Quick Time Event games

3. No games with respawning enemies.

What are your personal game rules you have?

The only rule I have is no rules, and I try all games at least once,

Why would anyone also limit themselves, maybe a game can surprise you and end up with a great experience?

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FanboyMcTroll

@Jacanuk: That's great that you keep an open mind, but for me I have played too many platformers, too many QTE games and too many respawn enemies games that I finally decided to make these rules for myself. It saves me money buying these games, and the frustration and I know now over the decades of gaming what type of games I like.

Besides there are so many different games out there that I can say no to platformers and still find a ton of games that I like

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@tryit said:
@todddow said:

occam's razor - when people make more assertions of one thing and less of another thing its safe to assume they care more about what they are asserting more.

that is yet another way of saying 'gamers talk more about developers then they do games' from what I have seen.

that is something that can be quantified if we want to put in the work. why would one talk more about something they care less about?

ok, you claim you've seen the evidence.

but it's you whose making that claim, not him. so why are you continually asking him to prove your claim, when the burden of proof is yours not his?

i don't know how you cannot understand that when people play games from a company which they consistently don't enjoy, or see business practices from said company that they disagree with, that it's only natural for them to take a disliking to and remember that developer / publisher.

how instead you have taken that as some sort of proof that gamers pay more attention to the developer rather than the game, i don't know.

it's ironic you mention occam's razor when you've just done the opposite of what it advises

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@tryit said:

but it's you whose making that claim, not him. so why are you continually asking him to prove your claim, when the burden of proof is yours not his?

i don't know how you cannot understand that when people play games from a company which they consistently don't enjoy, or see business practices from said company that they disagree with, that it's only natural for them to take a disliking to and remember that developer / publisher.

how instead you have taken that as some sort of proof that gamers pay more attention to the developer rather than the game, i don't know.

it's ironic you mention occam's razor when you've just done the opposite of what it advises

get back with me in a few years, I will spend the next serveral years collecting forum post data of which I will illustrate how gamers tend to talk far more about developers then they do actual game plays and I will release that to you. regarding product identity there are surely plenty of books on the subject I can refer you to

for 1 million dollars!

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@tryit said:

get back with me in a few years, I will spend the next serveral years collecting forum post data of which I will illustrate how gamers tend to talk far more about developers then they do actual game plays and I will release that to you. regarding product identity there are surely plenty of books on the subject I can refer you to

for 1 million dollars!

gamers talk about all kinds of game related crap. just have a quick scan down the topics on page one of this board. there doesn't seem to be any particularly theme, other than trolly mcboatface started most of them.

let's just agree we see things differently. i really can't be bothered having all this back and forth. i just genuinely don't know how you arrive at some of the conclusions you seem to draw from what's been said previously in a thread

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:

for 1 million dollars!

gamers talk about all kinds of game related crap. just have a quick scan down the topics on page one of this board. there doesn't seem to be any particularly theme, other than trolly mcboatface started most of them.

let's just agree we see things differently. i really can't be bothered having all this back and forth. i just genuinely don't know how you arrive at some of the conclusions you seem to draw from what's been said previously in a thread

I didnt say 'out of all things they talk about they talk about developer more'

I said 'they talk more about developers then they do about games'

is this really that hard to grasp my assertion? its pretty clear.

so that is out of two options A and B then talk more about A then they do about B however, C might be talked about overall more but I am only addressing about A and option B.

diagram?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:

for 1 million dollars!

so that is out of two options A and B then talk more about A then they do about B however, C might be talked about overall more but I am only addressing about A and option B.

diagram?

please feel free to.

but let's not lose sight you've just admitted you have f*ck all proof of this "hypothesis" you've just plucked out of your arse and tried to wave around as fact and it'll take you a few years to prove it, if you can at all. so just like most of the shit you come out with on these boards then

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

for 1 million dollars!

diagram?

please feel free to.

but let's not lose sight you've just admitted you have f*ck all proof of this "hypothesis" you've just plucked out of your arse and tried to wave around as fact and it'll take you a few years to prove it, if you can at all. so just like most of the shit you come out with on these boards then

so.

that is like 99.99% of all posts on all forums whats your point?

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

For me:

1) No online only

2) Never buy DLC or microtransations.

3) Never pre-order

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:

for 1 million dollars!

diagram?

please feel free to.

so.

that is like 99.99% of all posts i make on all forums whats your point?

fixed

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

diagram?

please feel free to.

so.

fixed

nope..99.9% of all posts.

you are literally complaining about me doing the what everyone else very likely including you does every day.

Yes. I do not have evidence and proof that the sun is going to come up tomorrow but I bet it will

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:

diagram?

please feel free to.

so.

fixed

you are literally complaining about me doing the what everyone else very likely including you does every day.

Yes. I do not have evidence and proof that the sun is going to come up tomorrow but I bet it will

see that just sums you up in a nutshell.

the decent gs users, the ones whose opinions are worth reading can justify their viewpoints. they make a claim and back it up with compelling reasons and arguments. that's why people enjoy chatting with them. they're insightful and their logic demonstrates that.

your posting strategy is to just pluck shit out of thin air, often with little justification or evidence, vehemently insist it's some profound fact and you're the only one insightful enough to see it. it's no coincidence that wherever you go on these boards people call you out for the shit you talk.

oh and there is evidence that the sun will come up tomorrow. you learn about it in primary school (or elementary school for you americans). hope this helps

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

please feel free to.

so.

fixed

the decent gs users, the ones whose opinions are worth reading can justify their viewpoints. they make a claim and back it up with compelling reasons and arguments. that's why people enjoy chatting with them. they're insightful and their logic demonstrates that.

your posting strategy is to just pluck shit out of thin air, often with little justification or evidence, vehemently insist it's some profound fact and you're the only one insightful enough to see it. it's no coincidence that wherever you go on these boards people call you out for the shit you talk.

oh and there is evidence that the sun will come up tomorrow. you learn about it in primary school (or elementary school for you americans). hope this helps

did read anything you said but I will reply anyway

I dont have evidence that the sun is going to come up tomorrow or that that there are trolls on gaming forums but it doesnt mean its unlikely.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#39 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Gameplay is law.

If the game fails, or is lacking in this area? I'm out.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TryIt

@RSM-HQ said:

Gameplay is law.

now that is actually rather rare.

i mean that in all seriousness, nice to hear though

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RSM-HQ

@tryit said:
@RSM-HQ said:

Gameplay is law.

From me or an overall observation?

For the prior; I chat about gameplay for the majority of all these discussions_

So it shouldn't come as a shock.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TryIt

@RSM-HQ said:
@tryit said:
@RSM-HQ said:

Gameplay is law.

From me or an overall observation?

For the prior; I chat about gameplay for the majority of all these discussions_

So it shouldn't come as a shock.

no just overall, not you specifically.

I usually see a lot more attention from gamers toward developers, publishers, developer communication, community, pricing models, publisher honesty, deadlines, technicals and sometimes actual game play.

that has been my overwhelming experience.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RSM-HQ

@tryit:

no just overall, not you specifically.

I usually see a lot more attention from gamers toward developers, publishers, developer communication, community, pricing models, publisher honesty, deadlines, technicals and sometimes actual game play.

that has been my overwhelming experience.

We've had some heated debates on a lot of that_

But different strokes different folks as I'm concerned.

Some people like looking at every angle of the gaming industry. especially with how corrupt certain developers/ publishers have become for the past decade or so.

The bigger gaming gets, the more you'll see shady people try to make easy money off that popularity. And for certain discussions I've had to see if some of this crazy stuff actually happens.

However; I'm just a Gamer enjoying this hobby for its core 'intended' appeal at heart. I have simple expected wants from games. Not hard to please if they succeed on the basics.

I don't want movies, or poorly constructed gimmicks as a core focus, just give me quality games with some depth in the gameplay mechanics, and that's great. Anything else added to a enjoyable game? I'll either enjoy also, or tolerate.

So, with that, back to Monster Hunter for me.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:

so.

fixed

did read anything you said but I will reply anyway

I dont have evidence that the sun is going to come up tomorrow or that that there are trolls on gaming forums but it doesnt mean its unlikely.

yeah you clearly struggle with reading. and writing. it's why so often your replies to people's posts makes so little sense and why everywhere you go on these boards you get ridiculed

BrownMason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrownMason
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

@fanboymctroll: Hey, Never donate in game)

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Never kill innocent civilians.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

1-No Pre ordering

2-Not paying microtransactions on nonF2P games(most of the time passing a game that has them alltogether)

3-No more hyping up

4-I will no longer go into a hated game with a "how bad can it be" mentality. Got burned plenty'o'times. Therefore sea of thieves can go down to Davy Jone's locker for all I care.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#48 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@fanboymctroll:

1. No online only.

2. Customizable characters a must! Or at least control a female protagonist.

3. Must have some replay value.

4. Must be fun.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

1. Never accept money or gear in MMOs from other players.

2. Never cheat or exploit bugs.

3. Never give up on a game until it is complete.

netdecker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By netdecker101
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

Cover design can't be bad. If they're gonna hire bad graphic designers, then I don't have much hope for the rest of the hiring process.