Your opinion on HD Collections?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

Do you like them? dislike them? or do you just simply ignore them and not care?

Personally, I love them. There are many reasons for this. There is the obvious one where you can re-play your old favourites in HD and with achievements and whatnot (Metal Gear Solid HD and Peace Walker HD has kept me occupied for the past month and half! :D). It also gives gamers the chance to play games that they may not have had the chance to play in the past.

But keeping that in mind, if they wanted to they could simply just go out and get the old versions, right? but maybe there's more of a chance of people playing them if there is a new version on the current gen console that everybody is talking about?

But I think the real charm in these things is the HD and achievements. Some people may disagree because they may think that they are just money making schemes for the game companies to just "be lazy" (just a term I've heard in the past) and re-release a game yet again.

Sometimes, the graphics seem untouched apparantly, and I can see where they are coming from, to be fair (with some of them anyway) and the only thing that seems to be touched is the brightness.

2012 seems to be the year for HD Collections for me as well. Strangely enough, I am just as excited for the HD Collections as I am for the new games. These are the games that I want this year (in terms of HD Collections, anyway):

(already got Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, as I said)
Devil May Cry: HD Collection (I used to have the original but was way too hard back then, so never got anywhere on it. I finished DMC4 on the PS3 in the past however and loved it. It will be awesome to be able to get up to date with the series in time for DMC5.)
Silent Hill HD Collection (although I need to re-buy the original first. I used to own it years ago but got nowhere on it... it was hard).

I did want OddBoxx, (entire Oddworld collection, I think) but it was later announced as a PS3 exclusive :(

Of course, if these HD games weren't exclusive to the PS3, that would also open up all of thesecollections to me:

House of the Dead Collection
Medal of Honor Frontline HD
Prince of Persia Trilogy
Tekken Hybrid
Splinter Cell Trilogy

So what do you think of HD Collections? :)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Love them, bundling some good games together and adding some touch ups to the graphics or other areas plus achievements and such, great idea. Look forward to the Silent Hill one.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I've only played the ICO/SOTC collection but from what I played of that, I adored it. I've pre-ordered DMC HD collection also, so hopefully that is well made. I've missed most these games, so to play them in HD with trophies and stuffs is nice.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Never bought one myself but I think their a great idea, reliving some old classics bunched together.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I liked it because all the games Sony is bundling in HD Collections I never actually played before.

Though so far I only have the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection but I plan on getting the Sly Collection, Jak & Daxter Collection, and the Ratchet and Clank Collection since I never played any of those games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I like them alot,s ince they give me the chance to play games I missed out on before.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

They're super cool.

Hanzoadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 Hanzoadam
Member since 2009 • 6576 Posts

I think they're great, But I think they should do HD versions of certain games like they are with FFX, I'd love for them to do a Star Ocean till the end of time HD that would probably be my favorite game ever then

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've never bought one (yet) but I think they're a nice idea. Some of the more beloved games from the last generation, prettied up with improved graphics. What's not to like?

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I like them, but if they keep releasing them with PS4, PS5, PS6, PS7 it will become obsolete.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

If done properly they're actually very nice. I never played Ico so I got the Ico/Shadow Collection and they really have made Ico look really nice for a HD screen, and I can only assume Shadow looks better, though I've yet to play it.

I got the HD version of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and it's not bad, except they didn't bother updating any of the menu screens, so they're all stretched since they're in 4:3 format, which is annoying.

I didn't realize how many of the PS2's main series I missed out on, so it'll be nice to go back to them via the Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, and Tomb Raider. Though, with the case of the Prince of Persia trilogy I may just get it because it's my favorite trilogy and it'll be nice to play them all in HD and with trophy support (if only they'd fix the menu screens).

Plus, it's nice that they usually give you 3 games for a lower price than one normal new game. It also helps introduce newer gamers to the last gen classics, which is always a good thing, as these games have pretty much reached the level of being timeless, or at least most have.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#12 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I don't mind them. I do find it convenient to be able to get rid of 3 games to put 1 in their place.

davidpolanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 davidpolanski
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

When i was 10 i can`t appreciate the value of Metal Gear collection. So now when im in my 20`e is right time. I think there is a huge number of people with same opinion.

So it`s definitely worth. Do you guys buying physical disks or just downloading them into hard drive??

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#14 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

When i was 10 i can`t appreciate the value of Metal Gear collection. So now when im in my 20`e is right time. I think there is a huge number of people with same opinion.

So it`s definitely worth. Do you guys buying physical disks or just downloading them into hard drive??

davidpolanski

Always physical discs, when ever they're available.

davidpolanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 davidpolanski

[QUOTE="davidpolanski"]

BuryMe

Always physical discs, when ever they're available.

It really wonder me how many people is going from physical to virtual disks. Because now the value is on users IDs (spend time, achievments, unique users, your whole game "persona").

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Love them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
I love them. It's great to get the opportunity to revisit some of my favourite classics with HD visuals and achievements/trophies.
LordEvergreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordEvergreat
Member since 2005 • 494 Posts
Metal Gear Solid is one of my favourite series of video games of all time. So having the chance to replay them without needing to dig out an old console is great in my opinion. If at the end of the day you don't like the idea of all these collections there is nobody forcing you to purchase them.
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Love em...TIME FOR A Battlefront HD collection!

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I love them. Typically, the only games that get the re-release treatment are those that deserve it, with a few exceptions. I don't see how anyone can make the case that a Team Ico, Sly Cooper, or Devil May Cry collection is a bad thing. Hell, even the MGS collection is worth picking up just for Snake Eater.

3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

Great

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Love them. The ones that have a degree of polish anyway. The lazy git in me likes the convenience, I can't be bothered to dig out the PS2 and dick around finding somewhere to put it and look at those horrid old graphics on a HDTV.
Avatar image for TomatoDragonPSN
TomatoDragonPSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TomatoDragonPSN
Member since 2012 • 535 Posts
The ones I have, I love. God of War 1-2 Ico/Shadow Colossus God of War Origins Metal Gear Solid HD
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I like the idea of them, although at the same time I think they're pretty shameless cash grabs. I mean, they take some games, code an emulator for them, bump up the output resolution, and then dump them on a disc and charge $40 for it. Some collections have slightly more effort put into them, but in terms of easy money, they're a very compelling thing as far as the publisher is concerned. I'd probably put the Origins collection on top in terms of effort, as not only did they increase the framerate from the PSP originals, they actually got it running at a legit 1080p as well as redo the cinematics so they wouldn't be a hideous blurry mess like the first two God of War games in HD. MGS collection isn't bad either, although they should have put MGS1 on there. The rest all do the minimum required - Ico and Colossus have an improved framerate from the originals but basically no work went into updating textures and such. It's better than the Ubisoft and Jak collections though, which are comparatively awful.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I like the idea of them, although at the same time I think they're pretty shameless cash grabs. I mean, they take some games, code an emulator for them, bump up the output resolution, and then dump them on a disc and charge $40 for it. Some collections have slightly more effort put into them, but in terms of easy money, they're a very compelling thing as far as the publisher is concerned. I'd probably put the Origins collection on top in terms of effort, as not only did they increase the framerate from the PSP originals, they actually got it running at a legit 1080p as well as redo the cinematics so they wouldn't be a hideous blurry mess like the first two God of War games in HD. MGS collection isn't bad either, although they should have put MGS1 on there. The rest all do the minimum required - Ico and Colossus have an improved framerate from the originals but basically no work went into updating textures and such. It's better than the Ubisoft and Jak collections though, which are comparatively awful.DJ_Lae

It's probably cheaper than buying the actual games online to be fair.

Its just nice to have those games available for this gen.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

I don't mind them, and they're a good way to pick up several big titles I missed last gen.

gamerdude375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamerdude375
Member since 2012 • 204 Posts

They're great....when done right. When done right they are a big fan service.

Examples of excellent HD collections have been The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, the God of War Collection, the God of War: Origins Collection, and the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

So far, it seems like Bluepoint Games are the go-to developers for excellent HD collections, since they most of the HD collections I mentioned above, and they were all excellent....anytime I see Bluepoint Games attached to an HD Collection, I know it's gonna be a winner.

But when done wrong....an HD Collection becomes entirely pointless and like a shameless cash grab.

An example of an HD collection done wrong is the recently released Silent Hill HD (an HD re-release of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3), which I don't know how on earth they botched that one as bad as they did. Silent Hill HD should have been a slam dunk HD release given the fact they had so many resources to work from for a proper HD port in comparison to other HD collections, instead, it was a complete disappointment...to the point one is better off sticking with the original PS2 versions from a decade ago, or better yet, the PC versions.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

I love them & i dont mean just collections themselves but updating single titles to HD as well. All pre HD games look very bad on HD tvs so to be able to play all my favorite games ( & games i missed out on ) on my big HD tv with crystal clear vsiuals is great.

Add in the fact that you can have multiple games on one disc, or in one package is great. These titles will live on for much longer now. Some titles i want to own & be able to play forever so this reallly helps.

Pre HD games will become more & more lost & forgotten but with this its one step closer to preserving them forever.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I like them when they're done well.You know,not like resident evil 4 "HD".

gamerdude375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamerdude375
Member since 2012 • 204 Posts

Michael0134567

Yeah, the Resident Evil 4 HD re-release was also another botched HD release, where one was better off sticking with the older non-HD releases.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

gamerdude375

Yeah, the Resident Evil 4 HD re-release was also another botched HD release, where one was better off sticking with the older non-HD releases.

Thankfully I still have the Wii edition :).
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#32 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
I like them..but it's obvious they are cash-ins on games that have already been made for the most part.
AdrianWrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AdrianWrz
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts

i think the HD is pretty cool

i just dont like the fact ;P i am rebuying same game even though i have it... but in certain cases i like it

like Metal Gear Solid (mostly because Peace Walker on their)

ICO/Collossum (cause ICO hard to find/expansive, and now both games look even better)

I do like them upgrading the graphics, but i dont like if it just straight port... because than it makes me think about how >.> PS3 should backwards compatible and be able to play 100% of PS2/PSone games. (which everyone that has PS2 would love, cause my PS2 is getting old and my collection of PS2s is in 200s+)

If they made Final Fantasy VI/VII/VIII as HD with upgrade graphics... i would kill people on the way/in line/jump over just to pre-order at Gamestop. (i wouldnt care if it was $100 either)'

So it really depends on 2 things?

How rare the Game is/and what kind of game it is.

cause most popular mainstream games with many copies on PS2 made that you can pick up for $5-10 online or at local gamestop i wouldnt really say are worth "HD" (like Devil May Cry, Splinter Cell) (easily found, and for lower price than HD)

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ashley_wwe
think they're great, But I think they should do HD versions of certain games like they are with FFX, I'd love for them to do a Star Ocean till the end of time HD that would probably be my favorite game ever thenHanzoadam
I think they're doing a Rayman 3 HD, so some people are definately doing specific games out there ;). Speaking of which, I would like that, but I would want the others first. I used to own them, but can't remember much about them, to be fair. Oh, it's on XBLA/PSN by the way. Wish it was a disc, nevermind :). So long as some people don't get a disc version and the rest of the world don't, I will still get it at some point unlike some other game that was only released on disc in Japan *looks at Resident Evil 4 and CVX HD and waits for a disc release over here*. :P
It really wonder me how many people is going from physical to virtual disks. Because now the value is on users IDs (spend time, achievments, unique users, your whole game "persona").davidpolanski
I agree. It seems that many people these days are moving to digital/virtual rather than physical. I've never been a fan of digital stuff, to be fair. Don't get me wrong, I will download DLC and Xbox Live Arcade games, but if gaming in the future goes 100% digital... I really don't know what I would do, to be honest. It almost feels like I wouldn't own the game and not only that, but it would take up space on the hard drive if you keep downloading all of these games. Take my Xbox 360 collection for instance. I must have over 100 games. If I had to download all of them, that would be a LOT of space on the hard drive, probably be about 3 or 4 big hard drives. I'll stay physical I think :P.
MGS collection isn't bad either, although they should have put MGS1 on there.DJ_Lae
I wanted it too, but apparantly they can't. Think what MGS1 looked like back when, and then think what it would look like if it was stretched a little and whatnot. It wouldn't be HD and it would look worse. It would look really pixellated. What it really needs is a straight up graphics remake, or a port of Twin Snakes (never had the chance to play that one myself). Only thing that bugs me is in VR/Alternative missions I sometimes notice a lot of graphical glitches, still love it though :D. Also for some reason, Peace Walker is stretched a lot when you first load it up (every time) until it loads. But maybe that's because it is a PSP port. I am glad they did this HD Collection though, I remember wanting it before they even announced it :). So many positive comments too! quite surprised actually, as I normally hear a lot of negative ones on this subject. But I am happy to hear it :).
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I'm happy with them when it comes to games I missed in the first release. But there is no denying how lazy most of them are, as a fan, I would never purchase one.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
love them... i missed out on some great games last gen and the hd collections give me a chance to play them in 1 awesome package.. sure i still have my ps2...but for someone who doesnt really care about cost...i have no reason to pick the ps2 versions over the 720p/trophy supported collections.
zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

I haven't bought any but if I had a PS3, I would buy tons like Metal Gear Solid, God of War, and Ratchet and Clank. I think I might have also heard that they were making a Sly Cooper and a Jak and Daxter HD collections and if I had a PS3, I would totally buy those too.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
I love them, I recently bought the God of War 1 & 2 HD collection for my PS3.
ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

I love them gives me a chance to play any games I missed last gen and with the Trophy Support to top it all off.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ashley_wwe
I haven't bought any but if I had a PS3, I would buy tons like Metal Gear Solid, God of War, and Ratchet and Clank. I think I might have also heard that they were making a Sly Cooper and a Jak and Daxter HD collections and if I had a PS3, I would totally buy those too.zombehhhhh
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is on the Xbox 360 :D. I have been playing it for the past month and half ;). I really do wish that the 360 would get more of these HD Collections though... they're pretty much exclusive to the PS3 at the minute, which annoys me a little.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

The HD collections are great if you have'nt played the games, and some of them really do touch up the originals quite nicely. I like them personally. Most of my gaming is done on my X360 these days, but I love that MGS was released for us too, because Snake Eater is still one of my favorite titles. Played it again this past month.

Most of the time, I miss out on the PS3 collections, but usually I can just skip over to my cousin's house and mooch his PS3 for a day or two. The only one I'm really wishing I had full access to is the upcoming Ratchet & Clank collection. I'd like some quality time with those again.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#42 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I like them, I just wish the collections like Prince of Persia would come to 360 too :(

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
I think they're good in preserving game series so they're accessible years on, but I think publishers shouldn't waste the efforts of their own talented developers to get it done, instead they should outsource to smaller studios to do, like Konami did with MGS1 giving it over to Silicon Knights to make for the GameCube years back, I don't think Silicon Knights is really that talented of a developer but I mean for Twin Snakes they basically ported an old game over, and for that they're fine, I mean the game is already made they're just touching up on it. If publishers started doing this then maybe we'll get a powerhouse studios experienced in porting over older titles, and again talented developers can worry about making new games. Capcom for instance wasted so much time re-porting old games they'd be a lot better off if they just outsourced that work.
gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

i don't see the harm in them. i've purchased a few for those games i never got the chance to grab last gen like the jak and sly cooper one's. so like everything else they are there if people want them and clearly enough people want them.

Zelda_Freak227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zelda_Freak227
They are great, I'd love to see an HD version of Paper Mario 64 done on the Wii U or 3DS, its odd though, the 64 version doesn't even look very aged, considering games like morrowind. that came AFTER Paper Mario.
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I've never bought one (don't intend to either), but they're very convenient to those who missed out on the games last gen. Honestly, I don't care about the enchanced graphics. sound and whatnot. I'd prefer to replay them on my PS2 if I felt the need to play them again.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#47 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I like them. anyone who has been paying attention can tell you that most of them are not done by the main development teams.

so far i have gotten:

1. Shadow of the Colossus/Ico collection
  2. God of War collection
  3. Jak and Daxter Collection
  4. Metal Gear Solid HD collection

I plan on getting:

1. Splinter Cell collection
  2. Prince of Persia collection
  3. Ratchet and Clank collection
  4. Final Fantasy X

would love to see:

1. Ace Combat collection
  2. Grand Theft Auto collection
  3. Kingdom Hearts collection
GreySun369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GreySun369
Member since 2010 • 226 Posts

I love the idea of an HD Collection, but from what I've seen most of them have turned out crappy. It seems like they make the graphics worse rather than better with the brightness and blurred pixels, and some HD Collections I've heard have had a number of game-breaking glitches that weren't in the original versions of the games.

However good HD Ports really are good, like the Tomb Raider Trilogy. The graphics for the games in Tomb Raider Trilogy really do look great in HD and the gameplay seems to run smoothly. I wish more HD Ports were like this one.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#49 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I love them. It gives me a chance to get rid of many of the titles littering my storage area. Eventually I would like to have all my favorite older titles on my PS3. Also, it offers many a great opportunity to play games they missed before. I never got a chance to play ZOE, now with the HD release forthcoming, I will. Also, R&C, the Pal version of Ico, Sly, GoW:O, Jak, Silent Hill, DMC and hopefully many more.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Great value for money, I have the Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell HD collections, I want to get the Prince of Persia one and I hope they make a Hitman (Hitman 2, Hitman Contracts and Hitman Blood Money) and a Grand Theft Auto (GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas) HD collections.