Your Most Disappointing Moment In Gaming Ever?

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

As the topic's title suggests, name an event/moment that first comes to your mind whenever you think "When was I extremely disappointed and/or let down due to a gaming event/incident in my years as a gamer?".

For me, first place would most certainly be Megaman X5, the sequel to one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time, Megaman X4.

MMX4 had everything, and I mean everything, done right. The graphics, the gameplay, the story, the presentation, the music (oh lord what an OST, still listen to it often!). EVERYTHING was perfect, a true gem, loved it from day one and I even think the voice acting aint that bad (I was 12 back then so I guess I didn't know any better), it adds to the nostalgic value. Beat it over a million times (especially with Zero). I was anxiously awaiting X5, a year passed, and MM Legends was released and I'm thinking "Where's my MMX5???". Little did I know I had to wait 2 more years for its release, excitingly popping it in, I get the intro FMV with a remix of MMX's theme, by now I'm pumped, select "Game Start", and the let down begins. I get the crappy slideshow screens with that annoying *beep* text sound, and I'm thinking "WTH happened to the anime FMVs????", it was downhill from there unfortunately.

X has never been the same since X4, heck Megaman as a whole reached the top with X4 IMO and it hasn't surpassed it up to now, so while we're at it let me ask, do you agree with this statement? 2 interesting questions in one thread!

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

The Empire Earth III game, which I uninstalled 5 minutes after I tried it. Epic fail and I did expect more.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Playing MGS4 and realizing I had to watch more than play.

Playing Halo 2 and realizing it wasn't nearly as good as the first.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I can actually agree about the disappointment that the series had to offer right after Mega Man X4. I do agree - MMX4 was at its best at the time. Had everything you could ever ask for in a Mega Man X game. Great visuals, music, gameplay, etc. It was sublime, but the challenge was ridiculously easy once you figured out what weapon killed what boss. It was only harder in the sense with Zero, since you had to adpot a new style of gameplay and not just run and shoot all the time, like how you did with X.

All that aside, one of the biggest disappointments in my career had to be the 7th Saga on the Super Nintendo. All that level of grinding, dungeon exploration, boss fights...all that for an ending that left you befuddled and confused. It was one of the weakest endings I've seen in a role-playing game. That, my friends, was complete disappointment! And for those who are interested in who I used, I used Kamil and Valsu.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Final Fantasy VIII. I didn't like the battle system.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Deus Ex Invisible Wars

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts

The Empire Earth III game, which I uninstalled 5 minutes after I tried it. Epic fail and I did expect more.

Crimsader
Indeed. Alternatively, the Modern Warfare 2 story. Massive letdown from the Tom Clancy meets CoD of the first (yeah, I know it's quite recent :P.)
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

FINAL FANTASY SEVEN. Back when buying a game meant sacrificing buying another game. Terrible dialogue, underwhelming graphics, and rather boring random battles.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

The ending of KotOR 2. It left me completely empty :(.

Trooperdx3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Trooperdx3117
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
Halo 3 realising that the so called epic battles between humans and the covenant boiled down to about 10 marines and aliens taking potshots at each other.
Yak_Bender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yak_Bender
Member since 2008 • 112 Posts

the whole of PokemonColosseum.

Mariofire44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mariofire44
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

the whole of PokemonColosseum.

Yak_Bender
Oh come on!It wasn't THAT bad if you knew what you were doing!(and if you had a pokemon GBA game) Mine would be.....hmmm....hrrrmmmmm....HRRRRMMMMM!(lol proffessor goomba from mario and TTYD) Desktop tower defence for DS. NOT worth your money!
doabarrelrole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 doabarrelrole
Member since 2009 • 940 Posts
When MGS4 ended. Not the end just the fact that it ended.
wraithbladeuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 wraithbladeuk
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

Final Fantasy VIII. I didn't like the battle system. majadamus

Ditto. I didn't like that all you had to do was transfer GF's and junctioned magic to another person and they were basically the same character.

For me tho, it had to be Halo 2. I worked in Gamestation when it was released and we spent months surrounded by the hype. When it was released, it just felt so rushed and under-polished. Such an anti-climax after all the publicity it had.

immrgoodguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 immrgoodguy
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

That big moment in MGS2. (You know what I'm talking about)

yanbuco2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yanbuco2712
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

The ''ending'' of Borderlands, which lasted a grand total of 20 seconds

angelbelow000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 angelbelow000
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts

The release of Halo 2. After playing the first one every weekend with my friends since a few months after it's release, we were all super pumped to get the second one. The gameplay videos that were shown were sweet but they went in such a different direction than what they led on. I still remember to this day walking to my friends mom's car on the day it was released (we were sophomores at the time so we still had to be picked up from school). Then playing it and being like what the f@*& is this. Huge dissapointment.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
First time I booted up GTA IV and realized I couldn't do anything and everything I wanted. I'm still getting over the hype..
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts
Final Fantasy VIII. I didn't like the battle system. majadamus
That was another major disappointment. It wasn't just the battle system I hated - it was also EVERYTHING ELSE about the game as well, although the soundtrack does have its moments. The worst Final Fantasy in Final Fantasy history.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts
When I bought & played GTA 4... Total disappointment.
CD-i_ownz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CD-i_ownz
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

I've never seen a huge disapointment but star fox command, littlebigplanet and SW: the force unleashed were all a pretty big letdown. A big annoyance I have with games is when the final boss fight ends with a quicktime event. No. No satifaction whatsoever.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#22 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Proabably Halo 3's campaign. It wasn't bad but it could've of been better.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
When it became obvious to me that more and more games are going to get banned in Australia due to the increase in graphical performance of computers/consoles. Give us an R18+ rating already.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

GTA4, such a pretty game, but where's the game? It's so boring, give me Saint's Row 2 any day.
And the ending of Oblivion, if you can call it an ending. Excellent game, so much to do and the final battle is so much, well I call it the final battle since you don't get to do much other than fight and protect.
And then the true final battle arrives and you just...stand there and watch it being done and then it's voer, the game is done. Definitely a case of "Oh...who's stupid idea was that to have no big bad to batter around?"

Rare being turned into a gimmick company, I miss their games.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

Halo 2
Halo 3
Assassins Crees
GTA 4

i found the experience to be underwhelming:(

and when a certan pilot dies in Ace Combat 5:cry:

Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts

When I found out DoA Xtreme 2's framerate wasn't the same as the first one.

dragonic9100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dragonic9100
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

every time a game's community becomes campers, grenade spammers, sniper wannabes, and the overly aggressive kids who suck at the game anyway. specifically i meen halo and COD. every game in the series for each.

obscured_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 obscured_echo
Member since 2009 • 60 Posts

When I played Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

When my memory card corrupted, thus losing my FFVII saved game

robertmac_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robertmac_33
Member since 2004 • 849 Posts

angel...of...darkness. Quite simply one of the most broken games i have ever had the misfortune to play. Made worse by the fact that it was late and totally overhyped!

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aero5555

That big moment in MGS2. (You know what I'm talking about)immrgoodguy

I needs scissors, 61!

and when a certan pilot dies in Ace Combat 5:cry:spawnassasin

I honestly could care less about AC5's story. After the mind blowing epicness that was AC4, AC5 was all blah. That goes for AC0 as well. (wants to play AC6).

(FFVIII) That was another major disappointment. It wasn't just the battle system I hated - it was also EVERYTHING ELSE about the game as well, although the soundtrack does have its moments. The worst Final Fantasy in Final Fantasy history. Metamania

I feel very very very sad when I hear about FFVIII getting dissed, it was the first FF I ever played so everything seemed natural and fun to me. It introduced me to RPGs, have played every FF in the series soon after, and yes I agree that the battle system is tedious and aggravating compared to others, but still I hold it very high in my book.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Aero5555

When MGS4 ended. Not the end just the fact that it ended.doabarrelrole

Yeah I know what you mean, could not believe it was all over, but there's that part in the ending made me go "WTH KOJIMA?!?!?! ENOUGH WITH THE FAN-SERVICE ALREADY, THIS IS ILLOGICAL!", I was shaking my head in utter disbelief through the entire scene (like "this is retarded" disbelief), you know what I'm talking about.

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pecanin
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

angel...of...darkness. Quite simply one of the most broken games i have ever had the misfortune to play. Made worse by the fact that it was late and totally overhyped!

robertmac_33

You should try Gothic 3 vanila to see what broken game is :?

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

RE5 what a let down end of

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Aero5555

RE5 what a let down end of

sharkbiscuit79

So true it hurts, waste of 80 bucks (special edition), everything about it was average, WTH is so special about it? I have it up for sale (game only) at a local shop for 20% its price, no buyer still.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'll agree with the Halo 3 gripes. Where Halo 2 just turned out to be "different" than expected, Halo 3 felt more like the second half of that game than a full fledged next gen xbox 360 game. I expected enormous battles in halo TWO! In halo 3, I figured it was a sure thing. I still enjoyed it, but i feel REACH may the first real next gen sequel.

Blkthorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blkthorne
Member since 2002 • 877 Posts

The release of Halo 2. After playing the first one every weekend with my friends since a few months after it's release, we were all super pumped to get the second one. The gameplay videos that were shown were sweet but they went in such a different direction than what they led on. I still remember to this day walking to my friends mom's car on the day it was released (we were sophomores at the time so we still had to be picked up from school). Then playing it and being like what the f@*& is this. Huge dissapointment.

angelbelow000

Felt the same way, my nephew and I played the original over and over and were super pumped for Halo 2. We get the game and start playing, think we played it for about 30 minutes and kept waiting for it to grab us and it never did.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Deus Ex Invisible Wars

Vesica_Prime

Yeah that was an odd one. Having dabbled with the first and not really caring for it I was hoping that the sequel would bring it more up to date so I could get in on the fun but I gave up about 30 minutes into the game.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Spore, biggest piece of crap I've ever played I think.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

The "endings" of Star Fox Command (and the game itself)

Socom Fireteam Bravo 2 (returned quickly)

Plus... the fact that I deleted my InFamous save file right before the final boss. Ugh... I still shudder everytime I think about it.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Probably when I realized GTA 4 had no flamethrower, no tank, no planes and parachutes, no chopper with rockets, no jetpack or car customization and boring cities.

OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OrwellJames
Member since 2008 • 591 Posts
Star Ocean 3 (Til the End of Time) was the greatest disappointment in the history of video games, all forms of entertainment, and human existence. Watching the fall of the Roman Empire, the domination of Europe by German forces, or the most heinous acts of terrorism fathomable could not even begin to compare to the giant empty hole created in my heart upon playing SO3 for approximately 2 hours. Star Ocean 4 looks like mediocrity will be the rule, rather than the exception, for the series.
Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts

Buying Armorines project S.W.A.R.M. instead of Goldeneye, and realizing what a huge mistake I just made.

The lack of AAA titles on the Wii. We get a few that show us its potential, then months of mediocrity.

shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

Either the end of Assassin's Creed 1 or Far Cry 2 (in general).

maxx1458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 maxx1458
Member since 2004 • 1275 Posts

I dont know about ever, but I was really dissapointed with how the Fallout 3 story played out in the end.

KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 136

User Lists: 1

#45 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

The ending of KotOR 2. It left me completely empty :(.

WasntAvailable
This.
Phazon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Phazon64
Member since 2009 • 612 Posts

Either Majora's Mask ( Which I had heard to be good, yet when I played it I was very disappointed. )

Or The Conduit. I hyped that game, only to be very disappointed with the whole thing.

gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gbpackers94
Member since 2008 • 685 Posts
When I played Rainbow Six Vegas, and noticed the last gen graphics, and sub par gameplay.
sirkoady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sirkoady
Member since 2007 • 915 Posts

Haha, definantlly Two Worlds. I thought it was going to succeed Oblivion...boy was I wong...

qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts

I dont know about ever, but I was really dissapointed with how the Fallout 3 story played out in the end.

maxx1458
I didn't mind that as much as there being no super memorable character. (anyone remember Harold?)