You ever turned your back on a franchise due to changes by developers ?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

As a guy who's enjoyed gaming on and off for some years now, it can be frustrating when developers suddenly sell franchises, or either take much loved storylines or gameplay in totally new directions..

I was just wondering if there is a large amount of gamers that have suddenlty turned their back on a fanchises due to changes or decisions made by once respected developers..

Since leaving the franchise, do you ever feel as though you've been missing out ?

Or do you still stand by your decision ?

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Hell yes! Was (past tense) a Halo fanboy till H3. Graphics/audio were sub par, campaign was nonsense with a small inkling in the back of my head of "Haven't I done all this before?" and MP was bland... Resident Evil 5 was a linear action shooter in which I wasn't able to move and shoot. (might as well of been on rails) Plus it was suppose to be survival horror game which I guess they forgot... And finally my most recent disappointment would be the craptacular experience that is MW2... Bungie at least got my attention back with Reach, alreadt got my anti hype shield up though.
S1MSTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 108

#3 S1MSTA
Member since 2008 • 1624 Posts

command and conquer when ea took over or what ever happened

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Yes, Call of Duty. Loved 2 and 4 so much, but the only reason I own MW2 is because I got as a gift. Also Command & Conquer, grew up with the originals but everything after Tiberian Sun is trash.

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

Resident Evil has been cutting it pretty close for me lately. Hopefully the reboot will alleviate those concerns.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Yes. Final Fantasy. After ff7 and FF8 I was absolutely in love with the series. Then FF9 hit, tried it, and absolutely hated it. Same with 10, and 12. And at this point I refuse to play a Final Fantasy game until Square Soft returns, which will not happen. Squall and Cloud, had so much personality and they rarely, or never, I can't recall, even spoke. Then we get Zidane, Tidus, and that other kid - who are all essentially the same androgenous male, who have little to no relatable personality. I am disappointed with the series at this point.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
There's been a few. Resident Evil is the one that most springs to mind. I couldn't stand RE4, so I just play the ones before it. Also, the Prince of Persia Sands of time trilogy. I loved the first game, but when they made the Prince all moody in the sequels, I decided not to even bother with them.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17885 Posts
its usually due to lack of changes that i leave a franchise. i dont pay to play the same gameplay with a few more levels slapped together. if i want some MW action...ill just go back and play MW1. i dont think im missing out on anything going by reviews of MW2 (note..i have no interest in MP really). i have, for reasons i simply cant fathom, bought 4 halo games (i think it was the co-op). loved the first, indifferent to the second and third (essentially the same game...snore) and ODST was actually a step backwards imho. terrible game. zelda is also on a tight rope. if zelda wii is just more TP then thatll be the last zelda ill buy for a very long time.
-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
I don't think ill ever buy another call of duty game because of mw2.
DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

I don't think ill ever buy another call of duty game because of mw2. -ICON-

Same here. I actually felt like I was missing out when I didn't buy it the first day but after playing my brothers copy for an hour I realized that I had just dodged a bullet.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Gears of War 2 killed that franchise for me. I won't be buying the third game.

It's unlikely that IW will ever develop another CoD game so MW2 was the last of that series that I'll be buying as well.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

GTA4 i thought was not a good addition to the franchise, it just doesn't feel like a GTA game.

I'm pretty adamant on not supporting Infinity Ward or Ubisoft in the future, for obvious reasons too.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20983 Posts
Zelda because of Ocarina. Have yet to find a reason to give it another look. Final Fantasy for awhile because of VIII (to this day I consider IX an apology for VIII) and X. I still check out the new releases, but it would take the return of Sakaguchi to make me enthusiastic again. Mario because of Mario 64. I still bought Sunshine against my better judgment, but now I keep strictly to the series' 2D installments. That's all I want when I see the Mario name on a box. F-Zero because of F-Zero X. I envisioned the 3D transition for that series as more technical and reactionary racing on very memorable flat-land design courses, not a bad XtremeG clone. Those are the big examples.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clayron

Zelda because of Ocarina. Have yet to find a reason to give it another look. Final Fantasy for awhile because of VIII (to this day I consider IX an apology for VIII) and X. DarkCatalyst
I loved VIII, and hated IX and X.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkCatalyst

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]Zelda because of Ocarina. Have yet to find a reason to give it another look. Final Fantasy for awhile because of VIII (to this day I consider IX an apology for VIII) and X. clayron

VIII, when it came out, was just so different and distant from what I've always expected when the box said "Final Fantasy" that I was really put off - basically, I felt like they lied to me by calling it Final Fantasy. I've softened my stance on it in the last couple years, and am actually in the middle of a playthrough right now, but that's mainly because the games that have come from X on have made VIII fit in much better, comparatively.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]Zelda because of Ocarina. Have yet to find a reason to give it another look. Final Fantasy for awhile because of VIII (to this day I consider IX an apology for VIII) and X. DarkCatalyst

VIII, when it came out, was just so different and distant from what I've always expected when the box said "Final Fantasy" that I was really put off - basically, I felt like they lied to me by calling it Final Fantasy. I've softened my stance on it in the last couple years, and am actually in the middle of a playthrough right now, but that's mainly because the games that have come from X on have made VIII fit in much better, comparatively.

I can definitely see what you mean when you say it was different.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I loved Modern Warfare until the sequel came out. So yes.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Elder Scrolls, fired.

Final Fantasy, whatever.

Ninja Gaiden, screw you ya buncha ^@&#%!(()*&#*!

Mass Effect, uncoolified.

Dead Rising, pwned off to secondary developer.

Shin Megami Tensei, animeified.

Resident Evil, ...

I havn't got many left...

gingefails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#20 gingefails
Member since 2009 • 997 Posts
Um, sort of... I always followed the pokemon franchise avidly - on handhelds anyway. I got every game right up to Diamond and Pearl. Then I just sort of felt that the franchise was way too watery and thin now, especially with the rereleases of games such as "FireRed" and the upcoming SoulSilver and whatever-the-heck-the-gold-version-is. Devs kept trying to introduce new things, like incorporating the DS touch screen in to gameplay and introducing the global trade system (which was mighty fun at first, but only a novelty worn out after a while), but it just never was enough to either a) preserve the original charm or b) introduce something so jawdropping that I felt the need to grind through another pokemon game.
Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts
Crash Bandicoot Warped was cool everything after was monster ****.
bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

It's a major problem developes effing up great series. I basically only rely on rockstar and Kojima games to make something actually good.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#23 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

After Naughty Dog left Crash, and Insomniac left Spyro, the series haven't been the same. It's sad, really.

KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#24 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

Unless the changes make the game suck then I won't not buy it.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Oh, Sonic. I forgot about that one. Sonic on the Dreamcast destroyed that IP for me, I haven't touched it since.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

As a guy who's enjoyed gaming on and off for some years now, it can be frustrating when developers suddenly sell franchises, or either take much loved storylines or gameplay in totally new directions..

I was just wondering if there is a large amount of gamers that have suddenlty turned their back on a fanchises due to changes or decisions made by once respected developers..

Since leaving the franchise, do you ever feel as though you've been missing out ?

Or do you still stand by your decision ?

DecadesOfGaming

I have turned my back on the Call of Duty franchise after Modern Warfare 2. What they did to the PC version was just appalling. I am also turning my back on any game that has any DRM besides a disc check from here on out on account of Assassin's Creed II opening my eyes to how bad things have gotten. As for missing out I own over 300 games and have only beaten around 100 of them so I am set for the apocalypse if I wanted. it disheartens me to know that to stand by my values I can't go buy games I would like to play like Metro 2033 and AVP but those are the breaks I guess.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Resident Evil and the Elder Scrolls. I preferred RE back when it was survival horror. While it may have never been truly frightening, I did enjoy the tension created by the lack of ammo/resources. Since 4, it's played like a bad third person shooter. The Elder Scrolls died with Oblivion- they took a brilliant RPG in Morrowind and utterly threw out what made that game great. And it seemed like every change was made for "accessibility," and not due to it being better design (if it had a mix of good and bad changes, I might be able to think they were just trying to improve).
SuperHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SuperHunter
Member since 2004 • 686 Posts

MW2 pretty much ruined the Call of Duty franchise for me.

Halo somewhat because of the way they are portraying Spartans in Reach, but some of that could be the bad taste ODST left.

God of War II because it was apparent they no longer cared for Greek mythology and only gore.

Evilmeanie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Evilmeanie
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

Not a gaming franchise but an entire company.... It will be a cold, cold day in hell before I ever own another NCsoft title.

Open_Sights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Open_Sights
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

At this point, it's surprisingly that no one said Fallout 3 yet, and it's DGCs.For me that's it unless radical changes are made.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#31 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I don't have a problem with devs changing things that they've established for a long time. I feel that everyone should be open to change (just a general principle of mine).

Do I like every change that's made to a franchise? No.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
Personally, I look at every game as one completely unrelated to any others. So, if "Awesome Game" 2 were to be announced, I'd still keep a critical eye on it to make sure I still like what I see. A purchase of earlier entries in a series/franchise is never a guarantee of future purchases.
RobbySpry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 RobbySpry
Member since 2009 • 384 Posts

Zelda because of Ocarina.DarkCatalyst

Wait.. do you mean that you stopped playing the Zelda series because of Ocarina? :shock:

BowlofNoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BowlofNoodles
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

After FFX-2, I'm not sure I can go on. I received XII as a gift, tried it, and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm still waiting to hear what my friends are saying about XIII...but, I'm kind of done with the whole idea now.

GTA4 might be added to this list, but I would need to see what's up with the next game.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

if the game changes a lot and i dont like it then yeah. i turn my back on it

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarkCatalyst

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]Zelda because of Ocarina.RobbySpry

Wait.. do you mean that you stopped playing the Zelda series because of Ocarina? :shock:

Yes.
nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 nakasa5
Member since 2005 • 1429 Posts

I really liked the original Fable, but Fable 2 was just horrible. A short and uninteresting story, with a world that was not very fun to explore. I am not at all excited for Fable 3.

hungry_pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hungry_pirate
Member since 2010 • 264 Posts

I got very disappointed with mario kart double dash. Because I think 64 was much better. I've basicly abandonedmost nintendofranchises because of the wii even mario(putting him in a bee suit crossed the line)and some genericfranchises likemedal of honor, true crime ,merceneries...

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

Kinda

I avoided Resident Evil 5, then tried it and it's solid, but not quite there with RE 4. Resident Evil 4 was very good, I must've finished it like 10 times. But can't be bothered to finish the 5th
Someone here wrote Elder Scrolls, in fact I don't play Oblivion. It doesn't have the charm of Morrowind. It was not as publicized as Oblivion and even though the gameplay is slow, I don't care! It is better than Oblivion!
I turn my back on Monkey Island 4, I just don't want to play it. I feel like it's an insult to the MI series. Good thing that Tales Of Monkey Island has been created (Different studio, but most the members are ex-Lucas)

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#41 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Twisted Metal 3 and 4 ruined the series for me and I wouldn't have bought Black if Sony didn't pass it back to some of the original developers. Fallout 3 raised my hope for a decent Elder Scrolls V title so i'll probably pick that game up Other than that the only time I've stopped buying games is because they were too much of the same. I quit Final Fantasy after 8 cause i'm tired of always playing a boy scout hero. I don't play the STALKER series anymore because those games have great ideas but they don't implement them very well.
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Well a lot of people are mentioning games that didn't have dev changes, just bad iterations in a franchise. Going by that, I would say I no longer care about Halo after CE. The series took a nose dive imo. There was a point in time when I couldn't wait to see where the franchise goes but thats no longer the case, Reach looks more of the same.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

I thought Far Cry was going to be the next great thing until I realized Crytek had nothing to do with Far Cry 2.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MarcusAntonius

Well a lot of people are mentioning games that didn't have dev changes, just bad iterations in a franchise. Going by that, I would say I no longer care about Halo after CE. The series took a nose dive imo. There was a point in time when I couldn't wait to see where the franchise goes but thats no longer the case, Reach looks more of the same.

F1Lengend

This. The series never recaptured the feel of the first game. Going against the thread topic, this is where a change of developers may have helped the series.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MarcusAntonius

VIII, when it came out, was just so different and distant from what I've always expected when the box said "Final Fantasy"

DarkCatalyst

That's what made the game so great.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MarcusAntonius

Shin Megami Tensei, animeified.

bad_fur_day

How should the games have been presented? And I would hardly call it "animeified."

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

It takes a lot to get me to give up on a franchise that I enjoy. Drastic negative changes in gameplay will do it.

The best example is Prince of Persia. I loved SoT, had a love/hate reaction to WW, and found TT to be very stale. But I still stuck with the franchise because when it worked, it worked really well, and even when it didn't work so good, I was always hopeful that the next game would be better. Then came the 360/PS3 POP. New storyline, new character, and totally gimped gameplay – wth. There was absolutely no reason to even call it POP, they should have just given it a new name and started a new IP. I will definitely not be buying the next POP unless the developers completely scrap everything that was done in the last game. Going back to the old story/character will not be enough to bring me back to the franchise – the gameplay must be fixed. If they continue with the uber-QTE type gameplay I will never play POP again.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Ultima Online lost me as a player after radical changes. I also gave up on Castlevania games because I don't keep up with handheld systems and the console Castlevania's have not impressed me at all.
hammerofcrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hammerofcrom
Member since 2009 • 1323 Posts

closest example I can think of is ditching KOTOR because it became an MMO, but that feels like a stretch to me.

every other game/series I decided to "wash my hands of" (as some say) were because of other reasons, usually boredom (the #2 culprit is not owning the right platform for an exclusive)

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Burnout when Paradise hit. Driving back through a city to restart races and challenges was about the dumbest thing I'd seen in a long while.