Xbox Games with Gold and Playstation Plus

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mdbuchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mdbuchman
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

This is NOT a console war topic!!! Curious if anyone has any REAL thoughts on why the Playstation Plus games are so numerous and better than Microsoft each month. Don't get me wrong I have all the systems but I am usually very disappointed in Microsoft's choices each month...not to mention for the most part much weaker sales when they have them. Does anyone have any theories? Is it a cost issue, a policy issue, or just poor decisions at the management level?

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Because PS+ is more loaning you the games than giving them to you. If your subscription lapses, you lose access. With Games With Gold, the games are less numerous, but they are yours to keep even if you leave Live the minute they're done downloading.

It's also worth noting that while Games with Gold is still in its inaugural year, PS+ has been around for considerably longer.

I have no idea on the sales though. MS needs to step up in that regard for sure. A discount from time to time would be very welcome from them.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Phil Spencer stated he is going to try to choose better games for Games with Gold and that MS will soon announce when Games with Gold will make its way to the Xbone.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-s-phil-spencer-says-games-with-gold-is-fundamentally-different-than-playstation-plus/1100-6418195/

According to Polygon, however, Spencer said that he’s “playing a more active role in picking franchises that show up in Games with Gold, and I think you'll see something that feels at least more true to what I think Games with Gold should look like with the constraints that are there."

Games with Gold is currently available for Xbox 360 only. At the start of February, Spencer said that we could expect to hear about Games with Gold reaching Xbox One "fairly soon".

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Games with Gold wouldn't even exist without PS+, people would still be paying $50 a year just to game online and have access to other features shoved behind the pay wall. That said, Games with Gold hasn't been around long, so you can't really expect them to be giving out newer games, especially when these are actually able to be kept permanently. I think PS+ still blows Games with Gold out of the water, but I do expect it to get better over time.

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

As others have said, PS+ is able to give more because it's technically only there if you continue to pay. That being said, it also obviously comes down to how much of a deal the console maker is wiling to make with the publisher.