Worst EB Games/Gamestop experiences.

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iMuffins
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

Here's mine. I went there to trade in my PSP, a 1GB memory stick, and 4 recent games, and they only wanted to give me $105. They didn't even give me the $20 I was supposed to get for trading in a system, or the extra 20% for trading in 4 games, OR the extra 10% from my Edge card (which the lady didn't even ask for!). And then when I said I didn't want to trade it in for that, they forgot to give me back my charger, so I had to go in the next day and ask for it... 

This was my only bad experience at the store so far, usually its pretty good.

So, what's YOUR worst experience?

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I've never personally had a bad experience, as the store I go to is pretty good.  But I was in another EB and was overhearing a conversation about someone talking about the PS3 vs 360.  Anyway, they got on the subject of blu-ray and the customer was saying that he heard you need a blu-ray TV, and the EB games rep said "I'm not too sure about that..." or something along those lines.  He didn't even have a definitive answer.

BLU-RAY TV?!?!?  I would've been standing there laughing, but since the idiot was looking after the customer idiot and some other girl was doing absolutely nothing while I was standing waiting to complete my purchase, I was thinking more about punching someone in the head.  I doubt I will ever go to that store again unless some sort of terrible disaster strikes my regular EB Games.

btw this is the one INSIDE Sherway Gardens, for the Toronto locals. 

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#3 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Mine's not nearly as bad as some I've heard, but I had pre-ordered Mario Kart DS a month in advance, and come the release date, they didn't have the truck in all day (but every other store had it in stock, including Toys R Us in the same mall). When I asked for my deposit back, they wouldn't give it back. I had to go back the next day to talk to the manager to get my money back, which I used to buy it at a different store.
GP1mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GP1mil
Member since 2006 • 994 Posts
Getting asked by the girl that works there if I play World of Warcraft and that we should hook up
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Besides hearing the 360 fanboys behind the counter bashing the PS3, I haven't had any bad experiences. I'm usually in and out unless I'm looking for some deals.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

My favorite thing that happens at EB/Gamestop occasionally is when I go up to the counter and ask if I can purchase a title. The employee turns to their coworker/manager and asks them something to the effect of, "should I sell him that?" in a tone where it is clear they have the item in question but are pondering whether I am worthy of a sale or whether all their friends and coworkers have been taken care of already. I love the attitude that the paying customer is some sort of annoyance that they have to put up with.

My favorite thing to do in response is to let them get the last copy of a game out, box up the disc and manual, bag it, and then tell them that I only buy sealed copies of games. Sorry.

Deku_Grumble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deku_Grumble
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

My favorite thing to do in response is to let them get the last copy of a game out, box up the disc and manual, bag it, and then tell them that I only buy sealed copies of games. Sorry.

dchan01

Hahaha!!!  I'd like to see their reaction!  Sometimes I buy some of the used old game boy games to build up my collection, so I have to go through the slow long line to get to the only worker, they get the game, then I have to go through the line again to buy it.

resevilfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 resevilfan1
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Okay i got a 360 about 8 monthes ago with a extended warranty. okay two monthes in it stuffs up take it back to EB's with a reference number they refuse to take it back, they said it only works during the 2nd year so i send it off to microsoft. Get it back in 10 days and 2 weeks later three red lights.

So i send it off again get it back 10 days later. 2 monthes later the dvd drive won't open properly. After talking to a manager for EB on live he said they should replace it. So i went to another EB's and they replaced it with a brand new one, i took it home put in GeOW and kept getting the message to play this disc put it in a xbox 360. so i replace the next day and they gave me another and it had marks it would seem it was preowned, but anyway two weeks later same thing.

So i go to another EB's and they replace it and believe it or not they gave me a preowned launch console.i plugged it in no picture, no sound and when i put in a disc it didn't even load up and make the loading noise. it took me 4 tries turning it on and off to get it too work.

So the same day i went to another EB's (After screaming at the manager from the last EB, vowing never to return) and they gave me a new 360. so i'm my 7th and now despise EB's.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3107 Posts

I walked into an EB one time and asked them if they would give me a 360 for free. They refused. I have never been more humiliated and shabbily treated in my ENTIRE life.  This was an outrage.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVAAAARRRR! BOYCOTT EB AND DONATE YOUR GAME MONEY TO ME! I ACCEPT PAYPAL! WHY AM I YELLING?!

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
I just hate it when I have to buy a copy of a game that isn't in shrink wrap. I'm actually surprised that my copy of Tomb Raider Anniversary was sold to me wrapped. Why they do this, I have no idea.
bradlybradbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bradlybradbrad
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
I went in to buy FFVIII used. i brought it home, opened it, and put it in the system. the first 5 seconds of the opening movie played, and it froze. Needless to say, i was pretty pissed. I went back the next day and this guy gave me a new disc one. I was in a hurry, so I didn't really check it out. I got home, and it was disc one of FFVII. I had to go back the next day, where they finally got it right. I stopped going to EB for a while after that.
SuperD101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SuperD101
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
one spit in my face because i said i wanted to speak to the manager. needless to say he was fired on the spot
Etheralfayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Etheralfayt
Member since 2004 • 477 Posts
I bought FFXI when it first came out at Gamestop and I took it home and followed the intstructions to a T and I ran into a problem.... one of the places your suppose to screw in the Internet adapter to the Hard-drive was kind of out of place...dont know how to explain it exactly... but bottom line It could not be screwed in and secured. I took it back the same day and the dude working honestly didnt believe me and thought I was trying to pull something over on him...and I tried for hours.. he gave me a bunch of lip and a snoty attitude, its like DUDE! it doesn't work! give me one that does and go about your own damn buisness!
2TonyMontana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 2TonyMontana
Member since 2004 • 68 Posts

It was my fault really for being that naive at the time (2 years ago). The story goes like this, I had 12 games, but they were a year old, I wasn't playing them so I thought, why not sell them? Where I asked myself? Well I remember seeing some games store I answered myself. "Ahh yes, gamestop".  So upon arrival I gave them my 12 games and to my shock they told me: "That'll be 19 dollars". So much in shock I was at the minuscule amount of money that I just accepted and left.

Lesson: Don't sell your games ever, unless you get the same amount of money you paid for it. Still now I know that it's better to keep a game, it looks cool to have a big collection. At least in my opinion. 

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

For the most part the only bad experiences I have are from the customers and not the employees. The only bad thing I can think of is that about a year ago I noticed that quite a few stores will attempt to always sell me an opened copy of a game or a used copy when I did not want one.

The other thing is that they stores' employees used to take great care to show me the disc of a used game in order to make me aware of how good a shape the disc is in. If it wasn't in good shape (usually due to it being an older rare game) they would tell me up front before I had even looked at it.

Over the last year however these same stores never show me the disc and will just slide it in and start ringing me up. When I open the case to look at the condition and find it to be in completely unacceptable shape they generally start in with the embarassed hemming and hawing and talks about how the game is guaranteed and all that tish tosh.  Kind of put me off a bit. 

iMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iMuffins
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

one spit in my face because i said i wanted to speak to the manager. needless to say he was fired on the spotSuperD101

Wow. He really spit in your face...? 

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperD101"]one spit in my face because i said i wanted to speak to the manager. needless to say he was fired on the spotiMuffins

Wow. He really spit in your face...?

Lol at him for getting fired. He deserved it. Anyone remember that time when the EB games guy got asked if there was a Mario game on the Xbox.
NatsuGaijin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NatsuGaijin
Member since 2006 • 209 Posts

Mine isn't so dramatic. I bought 5 used games and only 2 worked out of all of them.

I'm going again to EBgames today and buying another PSP game. UNUSED. 

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 majadamus

one spit in my face because i said i wanted to speak to the manager. needless to say he was fired on the spotSuperD101

Are you serious? He should've got arrested too.  

Rouge_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rouge_Hunter
Member since 2003 • 106 Posts

Ok, this wasn't GameSpot's fault, but it was still bad.

So I go to Gamestop and buy a new, unopened copy of Battlefield 2142, still in the shrinkwrap and everything. The box feels light, but I figured it was no big deal. So I go into my car and open it, just to check, and low and behold there's no disc inside! The guy was nice enough to return my money but there were no more copies there :(

gohantech00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 gohantech00
Member since 2005 • 9216 Posts
Well, when I went to buy Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil for Xbox last August at an EB Games, I almost got the original Doom 3 instead. It's a good thing I was suspicious before I walked out and I checked to make sure, since the guy working there was new.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
I work at an EBgames, but the most annoying thing is when I have to realphabetize the games on the shelves. Please people, put the game boxes back where you found them!
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
Nothing too bad, but sometimes I ask for games the store clerk has never even heard of, even though they're out that week.
Etheralfayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Etheralfayt
Member since 2004 • 477 Posts
I had another bad incident, it was customer related though.. I walk in the store and I see this customer arguing with an employee because hes PS2 he bought used was not working and it was 1day past the warranty so they wouldnt take it back and/or exchange it so he through the damn thing at the wall and needless to say it broke into pieces and stormed out of the store cussing. that was a fun one lol
Dante-2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dante-2006
Member since 2004 • 2299 Posts

The only bad experience i had which was EB Games was when i was going to turn in my PS1 game all 36 of them and the guy checked the computer and the computer read that all the games i had was only worth 25 cents for each one :shock: i was shocked i said is thatit so itold him i was not sure and thati will trade them in some other time and never returned with them again. At any case i still have them and i guess plan on keeping them.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Well if people are too hassled with the three random preorder questions they give you then I guess that would count.

But no. I've never had any problem.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
My debit card was charged 8 additional times for one game causing my debit balance to drop below zero and then I occured over draft fines ending in -$203 and Gamestop is only trying to refund my money and not cover the over draft charges.
jirouxni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 jirouxni
Member since 2006 • 447 Posts

A couple years ago -- I was 17. I wanted to buy a mature-rated game. Everything should go smoothly, right? Wrong. I showed the guy my ID and everything, and he refused to sell me the game. He pointed to the sign next to him that said something like "We check your ID to make sure you're 17 or older to get an M-rated game, blahblah", and told me that I had to be 18 to get it. I pointed out that even on that sign it said 17 and up, but he still wouldn't sell it to me saying something like "Sorry, it's a rule". Other stores were fine with selling me M-rated games, including other Gamestops(which is the store I went to in this instance).

JML897

Same thing happend to me at Best Buy when I tried to buy Oblivion. I had to go to Gamestop to buy it and I asked if I had to be 18 and they said no.

DocsDeLorean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DocsDeLorean
Member since 2004 • 2532 Posts

I try to avoid EB and GameStop at all costs unless there's a very good sale or I can no longer find the game at stores like Best Buy or Circuit City.

Some reasons I hate GS/EB:

The way they try to force pre-orders down your throat.

When they try to pass off opened games as new "because they were display copies". (Which is crap because I've heard of many employees taking games home overnight to play.) Every single time they are about to do this, I tell them no thanks and walk out.

When you ask for your deposit back, they try everything imaginable to get you to change your mind or switch it to something else. EX: I reserved The Shield on PS2 for my best friend for a Christmas present as I was told the game was coming out Dec. 15th. Come to find out it was delayed until mid January, so I asked for my depsoit back so I could buy him a different game at Best Buy. It took literally 5 minutes for him to stop talking and asking questions until he gave me my money back. (This is probably my worst expeirence, but I've had others that come close.)

And their overall scare tactics to make you buy something you don't need. Remember, if they treat you like ****, throw it right back at them.

gac8666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gac8666
Member since 2006 • 472 Posts

Not horrific thing.. but when FIFA 07 came out I had it preordered and I was told on 4 straight days that they had it in stock and I could come and pick it up. But it turned out that it didnt come in and those scrubs lied to me. Not horrific but a waste of gas money,

MetalgearRex00: I HATE how they force the pre-orders also! Im like jesus Starcaft II isnt coming out till 2034 I have plenty of time!

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 viewtiful26
Oh, there was one time recently were I went to a Gamestop to buy Crash (the movie), and I used my school ID, which had my birthday on it. This card comfirmed I was 18, and they still wouldn't sell it to me, saying I needed a State ID. I just gave the movie to a friend and had him get it for me though. I haved used the school ID everywhere, and that's the first time someone refused it.
Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

They have the older games as well as the most variety, so I tend to shop there.

The worst is probably what's happening right now...

My sister got a PS2 for DDR last year. Flashforward to now and I'm playing capcom snk 2 on it. I then buy 2 joysticks that work perfectly on my gamecube. When I put them on the ps2, it... doesn't work. Turns out that the sticks are powered through the rumble and that means the rumble connections are dead on the ps2. I probably should have tested the PS2, well I should have told my sister, but it pains me to think they would sell used systems that are plain broken like that.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

My worst EB experience happened last year, when I pre-ordered Guild Wars Nightfall.

They'd only just started advertising their Nightfall Pre-order deal, where you get a bonus pack with extra content, another character slot, items, etc. I put in a pre-order, and asked the guy a few times whether or not I'd be getting the bonus pack with it (the sign said I would, but I had to be sure). He didn't seem to know much about the offer, but said 'yeah' anyway.

So...I go back a few weeks later, after I heard that the pre-order packs were in (I heard this from another EB store), so I went back to the store I had pre-ordered from and...they had run out - even though they were still advertising the pre-order deal!

I asked them why they didn't have enough - they said that they made a mistake while ordering them, and didn't order enough. I then asked them when they'd be getting the next batch in - they said that they'd ring the manager and see what they could do...although they didn't make any attempt to do so while I was in the store.

Anyway, that was bad, but I can understand that they only get a limited supply. The fact that they hadn't even called me to tell me that the packs were in, or that they'd run out, really pissed me off.

I went back, day of release, to pick up both the Collector's Edition and the Pre-order pack (which I assumed they would have ordered in by now) - and there were still no extra pre-order packs. They said that they weren't going to get anymore in, and that there was nothing they could do - despite the fact that the first guy assured me that I would get the pack!

Anyway, be warned about their pre-order bonuses - you probably won't get them, no matter how early you pre-order the game.

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Foolio1
By the way, also about the pre-order thing, the reason why we ask is because we get a lot of pressure put on us as employees to get reservations. Our district manager is pressuring us to get them just about as many times as you guys get asked. You can thank the company for that one. I try not to be so overbearing when asking, but I am still required to on every transaction just about.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 viewtiful26

By the way, also about the pre-order thing, the reason why we ask is because we get a lot of pressure put on us as employees to get reservations. Our district manager is pressuring us to get them just about as many times as you guys get asked. You can thank the company for that one. I try not to be so overbearing when asking, but I am still required to on every transaction just about.Foolio1

Gr...don't remind me, whenever I go they give me a list of upcoming games for the goal of pre-ordering; I KNOW WHAT GAMES I WANT....

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dchan01

By the way, also about the pre-order thing, the reason why we ask is because we get a lot of pressure put on us as employees to get reservations. Our district manager is pressuring us to get them just about as many times as you guys get asked. You can thank the company for that one. I try not to be so overbearing when asking, but I am still required to on every transaction just about.Foolio1

Even if you are "just following orders," you're still part of the problem.

Rouge_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rouge_Hunter

I find it funny that people are mad about being asked if they'd like to reserve something. It's just a question and you have the power to say no, and it's not like it takes so much time out of your day when they ask "Would you like to reserve Fallout 3?" lol.

JMart0492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 JMart0492
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

They didn't even give me the $20 I was supposed to get for trading in a system, or the extra 20% for trading in 4 games, OR the extra 10% from my Edge card (which the lady didn't even ask for!).

iMuffins

If they didn't do all those things all you have to do is tell them and they will. Not too long ago I traded in my Gamecube and the guy said I was getting $20 and I said what about the extra 20 for the system and 10% from my Edge card. He said I was right and i ended up getting like $45 or something. Moral of the story: SPEAK UP if you think they got something wrong.

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dchan01

I find it funny that people are mad about being asked if they'd like to reserve something. It's just a question and you have the power to say no, and it's not like it takes so much time out of your day when they ask "Would you like to reserve Fallout 3?" lol.

Rouge_Hunter

Hopefully if enough people get mad they'll stop doing it.

weltall1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 weltall1028
Member since 2007 • 4775 Posts

I've read this entire thread and agree with just about everybody, Gamestop sucks. They're always trying to sell us used games instead of new ones. They don't show you how good the disc looks before youbuy it anymore. They buy games with no cases or manuals and put them in some generic Gamestop cases and write the title of the game on the case with a sharpie. They look at discs when they buy 'em, but never reject any super scratched up disc. They have become just another retail store, their focus is making money, not customer service. :evil:

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

At the 2 GameStops around me the employees are really snobby. I bought a used copy of some PSP game and did not look at the UMD. When I got home and opened the case it looked like a cat had pissed on it. I wiped it off and the game worked fine but geez. When I asked if they had the game new the employee says:

"No"
Me: "Do any of your other stores have it new?"
GS: "Do you REALLY need it new?" (he actually stressed really)

He spent 2 minutes on the phone and said no one else had it. The game was 1 and half years old and was only 5 bucks cheaper than if I had bought it new.

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Foolio1

[QUOTE="Foolio1"]By the way, also about the pre-order thing, the reason why we ask is because we get a lot of pressure put on us as employees to get reservations. Our district manager is pressuring us to get them just about as many times as you guys get asked. You can thank the company for that one. I try not to be so overbearing when asking, but I am still required to on every transaction just about.dchan01

Don't point the finger at me. I know people have had bad experiences with the company, but I hate being judged like the rest of the unprofessional employees. As a serious gamer myself and also a customer of the company for a number of years I know what it's like to be on both ends of the counter and I act towards customers as how I would like to be treated when I walk into a game store. I think if more GameStop/EB employees had a better attitude towards customer service it would be a better company overall, but with each different store is going to be a different experience.

I enjoy my job and I do my best to help and inform customers, give my own opinions but not to squelch those of others, and to provide a pleasant experience when people come to the store. I'm sorry others have had poor experiences, but it seriously irritates me when I am thrown into that generalization of the "terrible GameStop employee."

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

I hate EB/Gamestop. I find the employees to be obnoxious idiots at the stores near my home in the US and the customers aren't exactly better.

Now that ebay is widespread, there's absolutely no reason for me to go to there. I like buying games new and I know at Best Buy/CC that I will get a new copy. If I need to sell it, Ebay is the way.

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dchan01
[QUOTE="dchan01"]

[QUOTE="Foolio1"]By the way, also about the pre-order thing, the reason why we ask is because we get a lot of pressure put on us as employees to get reservations. Our district manager is pressuring us to get them just about as many times as you guys get asked. You can thank the company for that one. I try not to be so overbearing when asking, but I am still required to on every transaction just about.Foolio1

Don't point the finger at me. I know people have had bad experiences with the company, but I hate being judged like the rest of the unprofessional employees. As a serious gamer myself and also a customer of the company for a number of years I know what it's like to be on both ends of the counter and I act towards customers as how I would like to be treated when I walk into a game store. I think if more GameStop/EB employees had a better attitude towards customer service it would be a better company overall, but with each different store is going to be a different experience.

I enjoy my job and I do my best to help and inform customers, give my own opinions but not to squelch those of others, and to provide a pleasant experience when people come to the store. I'm sorry others have had poor experiences, but it seriously irritates me when I am thrown into that generalization of the "terrible GameStop employee."

I don't doubt that you are probably a much better Gamestop employee than most. I just caught a hint of blame shifting in your earlier post and wasn't going to let you get away with the old "don't blame the employees, we are just doing what our managers tell us."

Heck, once upon a time I worked retail at a game store where I was told to push discount cards, warranties,and games I didn't care for. You know what I did? I pushed cards while the manager was around and stopped the second he left the store. I alsoonlypushed games that I had played (thoroughly) and would recommend to a friend. I would dissaude uninformedcustomers(ie gift shopping parents) out of gettingmassmarketed crap and would talk them into something with substance. Sure my secret shopper reports were never good, butmy honestymust havebeen transparent and refreshing as my sales numbers wereconsistently the bestat the store. I really can't figure out why Gamestop employees for the most part actually follow the rules. Are managers constantly there? Are they monitoring your every sale? Are you really trying to work your way up the retail chain of command?

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Foolio1
[QUOTE="Foolio1"][QUOTE="dchan01"]

[QUOTE="Foolio1"]By the way, also about the pre-order thing, the reason why we ask is because we get a lot of pressure put on us as employees to get reservations. Our district manager is pressuring us to get them just about as many times as you guys get asked. You can thank the company for that one. I try not to be so overbearing when asking, but I am still required to on every transaction just about.dchan01

I don't doubt that you are probably a much better Gamestop employee than most. I just caught a hint of blame shifting in your earlier post and wasn't going to let you get away with the old "don't blame the employees, we are just doing what our managers tell us."

Heck, once upon a time I worked retail at a game store where I was told to push discount cards, warranties,and games I didn't care for. You know what I did? I pushed cards while the manager was around and stopped the second he left the store. I alsoonlypushed games that I had played (thoroughly) and would recommend to a friend. I would dissaude uninformedcustomers(ie gift shopping parents) out of gettingmassmarketed crap and would talk them into something with substance. Sure my secret shopper reports were never good, butmy honestymust havebeen transparent and refreshing as my sales numbers wereconsistently the bestat the store. I really can't figure out why Gamestop employees for the most part actually follow the rules. Are managers constantly there? Are they monitoring your every sale? Are you really trying to work your way up the retail chain of command?

Honestly, I can't really tell you. Like I said each store is different and each manager is going to have their own managing style. Part of it is that I work some really great people and it's a mostly relaxed setting and I think that does wonders for morale. But my style of working is a lot like you described. Everyone's always doing it by the books when the district manager is around, but pre-orders and things normally, I'll ask once (and maybe suggest a few titles) but if the customer says no I won't keep pushing.

The only thing I can really think of is like I said, the company puts a lot of pressure on stores to deliver a certain number of pre-orders and some managers are willing to go to many lengths just to make their store look good compared to others.

Also, it wasn't my intention to try and shift blame. As I made it clear it bothers me to be lumped in with those less than stellar employees. I know very well that not every store can be a very pleasant experince. Even before the whole GameStop/EB merger at my mall I would always go to the EBgames because the employees there were much more pleasant. I in no way condone all of GameStop's policies and practices and it's very simple if people don't like they shouldn't shop there. I no I certainly wouldn't. I don't even trade in games at my own store because we really do rip you off. If people have games of actual value I tell them they would be better of selling them on their own. I think most people just come to our store out of convenience.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

They buy games with no cases or manuals and put them in some generic Gamestop cases and write the title of the game on the case with a sharpie.

weltall1028

I forgot about this. I didn't know that bothered other people, but it really bothers me. I hate getting those generic gamestop cases with the game title just written on there, and only buy them if I can't find the game anywhere else.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 majadamus

Rouge_Hunter

It can get annoying when you tell them "No" and they keep trying to get you to preorder something. I remember when I was picking up some DS games, and the clerk kept nagging me to pre-order Pokemon D/P. I told him no about 5 times. There really isn't a need to preorder ANY game, especially when there are 6 other EB/Gamestop stores in the vicinity.

Something else that irks me about the clerks at EB/Gamestop. Half the time when you go to buy games they'll give their opinion on if the game is bad or not. The clerks usually tell the games I'm buying are pretty good though, even though I never ask for their opinion. I still don't want their opinion.

degenerate138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 degenerate138
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

Yea, everytime I go to EB Games I'll buy a new game, not a used one. The manager at the store I usually go to asks me everytime if I want to be the game used instead. I'll tell him, again, every time I go that I'm really not into buying used games.

Another EB Games employee questioned my choice on buying an xbox 360 memory card. He asked "WHY?!" I gave him a few replies: Because I can. I'm interested in portable saving devices. And lastly, I told him I was CAL-I. That pretty much sealed the deal.

Rouge_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rouge_Hunter

Wow, no offense but the EB Games/GameStop stores where most of you live must suck. I can go into the ones in my area (South Texas) and the employees are friendly and helpful. If I ask an opinion on a game they give me an honest opinion and are usually pretty knowledgable in what they're talking about. They never badger me about pre-orders and always remind me about the latest offers available to save money, like the last time I went in and traded in about 8 old games theguy working the counter pointed out I was going to get an extra 20% or so because of a special that was going on.

I'm glad I don't live where any of you do lol