Why Won't Nintendo Listen to Gamers?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#1 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

With all the recent things Nintendo has said regarding the NX my hope for them to actually make a machine that developers will develop for and that gamers will want to play is next to nothing. But a light glance at the internet's reaction to things they say and do would inform them what they're doing wrong. Microsoft listened to their consumers and has worked hard to turn the ship around. Playstation saw the mistakes the PS3 made and managed to hit it out of the ball park with consumers this generation, why is Nintendo so blind and deaf to the advice people are so freely offering on the internet??

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because we still know nothing about the NX?

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kazeswen
Member since 2011 • 1627 Posts

@jasonredemption: I don't know what you are talking about with PS3. It had a 10 year life span, more than any game generation in history. And was the second highest seller last gen, second only to the Wii. What mistakes are we talking about? PS4 was a mistake as was the XB1, these console won't even last 4 years, they have only been in the market for 3 years and are already being replaced by Neo and Scorpio. PS4 and XB1 will both be the shortest console generation in history.

As for NX, just wait and see.

But when I hear this crap, I feel sorry for Nintendo. If this is true, the company is done in the console business.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime - "For us, it’s not about specs, it’s not about teraflops, it’s not about the horsepower of a particular system. For us, it’s about the content," said Fils-Aime. "We’re focused on bringing our best entertainment to both the Wii U as well as the NX in the future. So for us, whatever Microsoft and Sony are doing in terms of talking about new systems, that’s for them to fight out in that red ocean."

Looks like Nintendo has learned nothing and will be exiting the console business, soon. Lets wait and see.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Because we still know nothing about the NX?

Not true. Nintendo has gone on record saying that "they're not interested in graphics/specs". Which makes it safe to assume this will be under powered compared to the Scorpio/Neo and possibly have trouble with or not support VR.

For Nintendo to think that they're 1st party is nearly as good as it used to be is also laughable. We'll have to wait and see.

Also at the OP: I have read that since former Nintendo president Iwata has passed away, Nintendo is trying to carry out his final plan/system or whatever the NX is. I think their loyalty to Iwata's plan is clouding their judgement. Japanese companies have real issues with "group think" and a collective culture, making change harder to do than in America.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#5 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I often wonder about the brains at Nintendo. I'd throw my money at them in a heartbeat if they made something worthwhile but so far, nothing. I can't even remember the last time I bought a 3DS game for full price.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Gee, I wonder why Nintendo, a Japanese company, isn't interested in pleasing Western developers? Yea, it sucks that they don't want to be just like Microsoft.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kazeswen

@Bigboi500: Business all boils down to numbers. Japan has a fairly small population of gamers compared to the rest of the world.

If you look at hardware sales, Japan makes up a small percentage compared to N.A. So you if you wanna be the best and make the most money you must account N. America or your sales will tank. Which explains why Wii U sales are so bad.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bigboi500

@kazeswen said:

@Bigboi500: Business all boils down to numbers. Japan has a fairly small population of gamers compared to the rest of the world.

If you look at hardware sales, Japan makes up a small percentage compared to N.A. So you if you wanna be the best and make the most money you must account N. America or your sales will tank. Which explains why Wii U sales are so bad.

It means Nintendo simply doesn't care about "being the best" or "making the most money", and the sooner people realize that the better. They still make profits on their systems and games, and things like amiibos. It's clear they don't want to be part of what Westerners want, and personally I'm glad.

We already have both Microsoft and Sony who do, we don't need a third console maker catering to bros.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bigboi500

@kazeswen: Also, lol at you thinking this generation is over. Neo and Scorpion are simply higher end products for those interested in 4k and vr. The original PS4 and Xbox One aren't going anywhere, and games will continue to be made and work on those systems for a long time. NX is going to be in the same ball park, power-wise as those systems.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

It means Nintendo simply doesn't care about "being the best" or "making the most money", and the sooner people realize that the better. They still make profits on their systems and games, and things like amiibos. It's clear they don't want to be part of what Westerners want, and personally I'm glad.

We already have both Microsoft and Sony who do, we don't need a third console maker catering to bros.

Keep telling yourself that Nintendo does not want to be in the same position as MS and/or Sony. Business operate in order to make as much $$$$ as possible.

Nintendo knows full well its strategy prevents it from being a viable contender to its competition. This company is dead set in its ways and does not embrace change very well which is why it is on the outside looking in yet again. Sony understands N.A. is important.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bigboi500

@Solaryellow said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Keep telling yourself that Nintendo does not want to be in the same position as MS and/or Sony. Business operate in order to make as much $$$$ as possible.

Nintendo knows full well its strategy prevents it from being a viable contender to its competition. This company is dead set in its ways and does not embrace change very well which is why it is on the outside looking in yet again. Sony understands N.A. is important.

Look at your paragraphs, they contradict one another.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kazeswen

@Bigboi500: What you are suggesting is that Nintendo does not want to be the best Console manufacturer in the world? I find that hard to believe, in anything in life, you strive to be the best. Not second or third best.

I can't see how Nintendo's annual shareholders meetings going as you state: "We have zero intention of gaining the biggest market share, we are happy being in third place, thank you shareholders for understanding"

I don't think that's how business works. You can be the best and still have Japanese themed games at the same time. Sony has global market share even dominating MS yet, if you look at their Japanese domestic game releases, half the stuff never get released outside of Japan because they are so weebed out. What I'm saying is you can dominate the market and still maintain your Japanese roots, the two do not contradict one another.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Solaryellow

@Bigboi500 said:
@Solaryellow said:

Look at your paragraphs, they contradict one another.

Not in the least.

Nintendo knows it can not compete with MS and Sony but that doesn't mean it (Nintendo) does not want to be in the same position as its competition that sells great numbers of hardware and software while listening to gamers. If Nintendo did not want to make as much $$$ as possible, it would have never been highly optimistic with its anticipated sales when the Wii u launched. If money wasn't a concern, the projected numbers would not have been as liberal as they were. Nintendo isn't the big dog on the block these days and hasn't been for a while. Until the shot callers start recognizing what the market wants, Nintendo will forever remain irrelevant. No one likes to lose and that includes Nintendo. If you think it does, you are in denial.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bigboi500

If Nintendo wanted to be just like the competition, they'd make beefy hardware, kiss Western dev ass, and depend almost entirely on third party software like the others. So why aren't they doing that? I'll tell you why: they want to be different.

You guys don't have to like it, heck, most Western gamers don't, apparently. But truth be told, all they have to do is make NX about as powerful as Xbox One is right now. That's it. They can still have their gimmicks, or not, and continue to make their own software, and get Western third party devs back on board, like Ubi and Activision and EA and that's it.

You guys can continue to hate every move they make for not being exactly like the company you covet, and they can continue to ignore your fanboyisms like every one else already does.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kazeswen

@Bigboi500: Why can't you be different and still get the N. American market? Keep your gimmicks and keep making Nintendo exclusives and still get N. American third party support, like Sony?

joshphillips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By joshphillips
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts

I remember an interview with Nintendo a long time ago stating that the consumer doesn't know what it wants until they see what we have to offer or something along those lines. I gave up on Nintendo's way of thinking after that and just go with the flow now. I love Zelda, Mario and Metroid too bloody much to ever give up the big N. The company is killing it in the handheld market and has for years so they wipe with million dollar bills. Until they stand to lose something they wont listen to a word we say. More than likely they'll do what everyone else used to do with them. Take an idea that's already profitable and put their own spin on it. Kinda like they're doing with Zelda botw. Has Skyrim and Witcher written all over it. As far as making a powerhouse console that outranks or stands side by side both feature and technology wise? Probably never again.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500

@kazeswen said:

@Bigboi500: Why can't you be different and still get the N. American market? Keep your gimmicks and keep making Nintendo exclusives and still get N. American third party support, like Sony?

Look at what Sony did in order to get that lead. They made PS4 almost exactly like the 360 was last gen.

The US market only cares about online shooters and sports games.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solaryellow

@Bigboi500 said:

If Nintendo wanted to be just like the competition, they'd make beefy hardware, kiss Western dev ass, and depend almost entirely on third party software like the others. So why aren't they doing that? I'll tell you why: they want to be different.

Are you new to the Nintendo game? Japanese are generally prideful people and Nintendo isn't any different. Why? The shot callers think they know best and any thing to the contrary is like a badge of shame. Nintendo wants to make money and in as great of numbers as possible. The company overcharges on software and hardware because it wants to make money. Their business model sucks. If it didn't, the company would be prospering in terms of sales and respect.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bigboi500

@Solaryellow said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Are you new to the Nintendo game? Japanese are generally prideful people and Nintendo isn't any different. Why? The shot callers think they know best and any thing to the contrary is like a badge of shame. Nintendo wants to make money and in as great of numbers as possible. The company overcharges on software and hardware because it wants to make money. Their business model sucks. If it didn't, the company would be prospering in terms of sales and respect.

You don't know what you're talking about. Stop quoting me.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kazeswen

@Bigboi500: Oh, NO. PS4 has Yakuza 0 (never see that shit on 360 EVER). PS4 also has Gundam Breaker 3 (in English), Dragon Quest Builder (in English), Star Ocean 5, Omega Quintet, you want me to keep going. Cause I can name weeb games all day long.

Bottom line is PS4 gets more Japanese themed games than Xbox would ever get, and its powerful enough to Play North American AAA games, so in a sense Sony has managed to do what Nintendo hasn't which is consolidate N. American and Japanese markets into one single market.

What you are suggesting is that only shitty slow ass last gen hardware is good for the Japanese market, which is essentially what Nintendo propagates, as if Japanese Games = shitty graphics. But what I suggest is you can make a strong console and have both western games like The Witcher 3 and Japanese games like Yakuza 0. Also, Yakuza games all look amazing.

Explain to me how bridging both Eastern and Western markets is a bad thing?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solaryellow

@Bigboi500 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@Bigboi500 said:

You don't know what you're talking about. Stop quoting me.

I'll quit quoting you when you stop with the b.s. Nintendo excuses. Poppycock, like what you write, needs to be exposed and called out.

Thankfully the Nintendo marks are dwindling little by little with each generation.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

When you realize that some of that free advice comes from begging them to sell the hell out to audiences that don't really care about them, I think you'll know why.

Let's also look at smaller instances like when Bayonetta 2 was announced. After Nintendo getting badgered for an aim at a mature audience (which failed, see: the GameCube with Eternal Darkness and Geist) and more third party support to the point of exclusives, they announced in 2012 that they'd publish Bayonetta 2. Nintendo got nothing but THIS, 10/10 reviews be damned.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

@kazeswen said:

@Bigboi500: Oh, NO. PS4 has Yakuza 0 (never see that shit on 360 EVER). PS4 also has Gundam Breaker 3 (in English), Dragon Quest Builder (in English), Star Ocean 5, Omega Quintet, you want me to keep going. Cause I can name weeb games all day long.

Bottom line is PS4 gets more Japanese themed games than Xbox would ever get, and its powerful enough to Play North American AAA games, so in a sense Sony has managed to do what Nintendo hasn't which is consolidate N. American and Japanese markets into one single market.

What you are suggesting is that only shitty slow ass last gen hardware is good for the Japanese market, which is essentially what Nintendo propagates, as if Japanese Games = shitty graphics. But what I suggest is you can make a strong console and have both western games like The Witcher 3 and Japanese games like Yakuza 0. Also, Yakuza games all look amazing.

Explain to me how bridging both Eastern and Western markets is a bad thing?

That's not what I meant. They copied the 360's design and business structure: paid online, partnerships with Western third party and such. Yeah, Sony gets way more Japanese games than Microsoft ever have or ever will.

Like I said, if NX does what I suggested above, they'll be fine. There's really no need for them to make top end and expensive hardware that can run 4k and vr, just yet.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kazeswen

@Bigboi500: Why wouldn't 4K be a good thing? You telling that Weeb games can't benefit from 4K? What rule says that Weeb Japanese games must be low quality 720P? A weeb game can benefit just as much in 4K and VR than any N American game. In fact perverted Weeb RPGs can benefit a lot from VR, lets face it half the Japanese industry is based on perverted RPGs.

Why wouldn't a 4K Yakuza game be good? Why wouldn't a 4K Zelda game be good? Why does Japanese games need to be low quality visually? You keep saying that NX can be garbage hardware, because it caters to Japanese market, but you never explain why Japanese market = crap visuals? I would pay to play a 4K Weeb RPGs any day of the week.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bigboi500

@kazeswen: Because Nintendo's fanbase isn't ready for that yet. Most of Sony and Microsoft's fanbase isn't either, that's why the Xbox One S and original PS4s will continue to sell more than their premium counterparts. It's mostly a gimmick right now with only the upwardly mobile who are buying in to it this early.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kazeswen

@Bigboi500: What do you mean not ready? I like Nintendo games, and I like weeb games and I'm ready or 4K now. There are tons of people like me. And lets say that majority of Weeb gamers don't have 4K TV, whats wrong with developing more fans than just the current Nintendo fanbase, which s sadly only 13million people. Why not expand Nintendo's home console fanbase beyond the measly 13million that it is right now? I want Nintendo to do well, I don't want them to go out of business, but if 13million users is all Nintendo is gonna get for the NX, I feel like Nintendo will be in danger of going the way of Sega.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I don't understand why console gamers are obsessed with power - it's always a battle for second place against the PC, and consoles are always going to be using outdated tech.

I also like how the biggest E3 news wasn't more powerful consoles or graphics-pushing games - it was a new Zelda game, running on WiiU hardware. It completely stole the show despite running on hardware that is comparable to the Xbox 360. If they keep making games like that, they'll stay in business no matter what everyone else does.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kazeswen

@Planeforger: Not if they are only selling 13 million consoles per console generation. Your software sales is limited to the amount of people who own your software.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

Starting to look like a war in here. ;-P

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kazeswen

Its always a war when Nintendo is mentioned. LOL

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

A bunch of people on the internet with no experience of running a large business claiming that a highly profitable company is doing it wrong. Yes the Wii U did poorly sales wise. And Nintendo do not have to compete with Sony and Microsoft. They have the niche gaming market covered. People will always buy an Nintendo console for their products. And they have a huge stake in the handheld market. Their only competitor is Mobile gaming. They must be making huge money from that section. People also tend to forget how well the Wii sold.

Yes it's frustrating that Nintendo don't make a console that allows me to enjoy their great first party titles and the third party titles that I enjoy. However that doesn't mean they are failing, and as someone who has no knowledge of the European, North American and Japanese markets, I'm really not going to think I know better.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

You guys are crazy. If Nintendo copied all the others and listened to gamers' demands, we'd get:

• competent online
  • better third party support
  • no droughts
  • more variety in their software library
  • a more western focus
  • less anti-consumer policies
  • better hardware parity
  • no gimmicks that get in the way of enjoying their games, or handicapping them for nothing but being a contrarian for its own sake
  • a bigger install base
  • less conservatism as a result, which would directly translate into more ambitious and risky software output
  • paying heed to legendary IPs and according them their due

Who in their right mind would desire any of that? I'd rather Nintendo be different, we don't need another clone.

blazingsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blazingsonic
Member since 2004 • 161 Posts

That was confusing.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

You guys are crazy. If Nintendo copied all the others and listened to gamers' demands, we'd get:

• competent online
  • better third party support
  • no droughts
  • more variety in their software library
  • a more western focus
  • less anti-consumer policies
  • better hardware parity
  • no gimmicks that get in the way of enjoying their games, or handicapping them for nothing but being a contrarian for its own sake
  • a bigger install base
  • less conservatism as a result, which would directly translate into more ambitious and risky software output
  • paying heed to legendary IPs and according them their due

Who in their right mind would desire any of that? I'd rather Nintendo be different, we don't need another clone.

We don't need another gaming platform either. The PC alone is a fragmented platform between Windows Store, Origin and Steam or Oculus and SteamVR and technically others as well. Then on console besides Sony and MS, there is Android which could pose future threats, especially if they made an x86 derivative since it's based on Linux anyway.

It's a flooded marketplace for 3rd party developers and it's enough to create for Sony and MS alone. They don't need Nintendo, only fans of their first party titles do. Nintendo would do better to create a deal with another hardware maker and just create for an x86 or PPC SDK that includes a specific controller of Nintendo's choice and allow licensing options which will bring in more revenue.

blazingsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blazingsonic
Member since 2004 • 161 Posts

So basical some of you just want Nintendo games on PC.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kazeswen

@themanofpears: Nintendo went from one the leaders in the home console business with third party support from Square, Capcom, Konami, etc, to last place in the home console market, with market shares lower than they've ever been, and zero third party support, essentially becoming a first party only developer for their home console division.

Its safe to say that Nintendo is failing in the home console division of which they once lead.

On the otherhand they do have monopoly on the handheld gaming market, but we're not talking about the handheld market at present, we're talking about their woeful home console division.

Honestly if the NX doesn't sell more than the Wii U, I can see Nintendo exiting the Home Console division and concentrating solely on handhelds. Because 13 million units per console generation is way too low to be a viable business.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

Nintendo is like my ex...thinks she knows it all but really doesn't know shit. Nintendo needs to opens it's ears again

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@blazingsonic said:

So basical some of you just want Nintendo games on PC.

You can't be that daft to just now realize that most every gamer wants every game on every platform. We always have, ever since the NES days at least. That way they can pick what appeals to them and still play the games they like without having to waste money on more hardware, especially if it's weaker than what you already paid for. It's like buying an iPhone, Android and Windows phone where most everything is the same aside from a few specific apps and features.

I know I sure as hell don't want to have a bunch of devices all hooked up to my TV when technically, one would process all of the games.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

With Nintendo combining its handheld and home console studios into one, they can deliver a massive amount of 1st party games for the system. No one comes close to the diversity and output of games like Nintendo releases.

Add this on top of games like Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and Dragon Warrior, etc. Nintendo can lure more to that system also. Can maybe get Chinatown Wars 2 and other third party stuff.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

@iandizion713: aye but the biggest problem is its too japanese focused and appeals to a certain demographics which is well stretched as it is. im not saying nintendo should stop making these games or stopping current deals of course. but on its own its not going to suddenly attract tons of new customers.

they need to widen their appeal with exclusive games for the NX in genres that nintendo currently dont have strengths in. this means either striking up deals with 3rd party developer or bringing more developers from outside their usual sources into the fold.

all ill says is that there was a rumor of a different than usual game coming to the wii u before it launched and people sat up and took notice. now it took about 15 seconds for people to realise it was project offset (a promising looking title for the PC that, sadly, was never released because intel bought the developer) and someone was just spreading a false rumor. but people sat up and took notice. no one was making a game like it and its something different from nintendo (both in terms of look and gameplay). it appealed to people outside of the usual nintendo output.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

The biggest mistake Nintendo could make would be to chase what Sony and Microsoft are doing. They should aim for a reasonably powerful system that's developer-friendly - though, let's face it, none of the major developers are going to bother putting their major franchises on a Nintendo console, because nobody goes to Nintendo to play Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. And they absolutely need to adopt a modern controller design similar to the Playstation and XBox design, because the GamePad is extremely limiting, though I believe it has its place on a Nintendo system more than anywhere else. Beyond that, Nintendo should continue to do their own thing.

Though, one place Nintendo seriously needs to evolve is their attitude toward software. First and foremost, they desperately need to expand their development team and grow their first-party library. I'm really excited for the new Legend of Zelda, but I still don't give a damn about Mario Cart or Smash Bros. The need some new and exciting franchises, or even just really good one-off IPs so they can more consistently release games without relying on third parties to do all the heavy lifting. And second, Nintendo needs to swallow their pride or get over whatever their problem is so they can get out there are start bringing independent developers into the fold, buying them up or paying whatever it takes to lock down some exclusives for their console. I think of games like Castle Crashers, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge and countless others that all felt like throwbacks to the days of the SNES. If Nintendo had those titles as exclusives for the Wii / Wii U, then I actually would've bought one. That's what they need for the NX: games that remind me of why I used to love Nintendo, and games that I just can't play anywhere else.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solaryellow
@themanofpears said:

A bunch of people on the internet with no experience of running a large business claiming that a highly profitable company is doing it wrong.

If attracting less and less gamers (with the exception of the Wii) with each console means they are doing it right, you must have zero idea of what it means to be doing something wrong.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@jasonredemption said:

With all the recent things Nintendo has said regarding the NX my hope for them to actually make a machine that developers will develop for and that gamers will want to play is next to nothing. But a light glance at the internet's reaction to things they say and do would inform them what they're doing wrong. Microsoft listened to their consumers and has worked hard to turn the ship around. Playstation saw the mistakes the PS3 made and managed to hit it out of the ball park with consumers this generation, why is Nintendo so blind and deaf to the advice people are so freely offering on the internet??

Because it´s Nintendo and Nintendo does what Nintendo wants since it does not need to listen to some random people who post on the interwebs.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheManofPears

@Solaryellow: I have no idea what the mentality of that company is, I have no idea what Japanese business traditions or what they're investors want. We also have no idea what the NX is. From my stand point it seems like innovation is their vision and what they think will be their success. It's what worked with the Wii and with the NES, SNES. Not everything sticks to the wall unfortunately for them.

I think they've abandoned the mass market but I'm probably wrong. All I know is that all we can do is wait and see. I hope they don't back out of the console market, I missed out on most of their huge library and I'm waiting for the opportunity to dive in.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Solaryellow

@themanofpears said:

@Solaryellow: I have no idea what the mentality of that company is, I have no idea what Japanese business traditions or what they're investors want. We also have no idea what the NX is. From my stand point it seems like innovation is their vision and what they think will be their success. It's what worked with the Wii and with the NES, SNES. Not everything sticks to the wall unfortunately for them.

I think they've abandoned the mass market but I'm probably wrong. All I know is that all we can do is wait and see. I hope they don't back out of the console market, I missed out on most of their huge library and I'm waiting for the opportunity to dive in.

Investors want to make money. Witnessing such a decline in your install base does not please investors.

kazeswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kazeswen

@iandizion713 said:

With Nintendo combining its handheld and home console studios into one, they can deliver a massive amount of 1st party games for the system. No one comes close to the diversity and output of games like Nintendo releases.

Add this on top of games like Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, and Dragon Warrior, etc. Nintendo can lure more to that system also. Can maybe get Chinatown Wars 2 and other third party stuff.

Dragon Warrior LOL. It hasn't been called Dragon Warrior since MC Hammer was cool. LOL Dragon Warrior. Also the IP belongs to Square Enix not Nintendo.

I think the idea of combining Handheld and Console under one roof makes sense, but I'm a little worried about the quality of the games that will get released, are we to expect 3DS caliber games on Home Console now? Sounds interesting but difficult to execute.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheManofPears

@Solaryellow: True, but it seems the investors are happy with Nintendo at the moment, there's no whispers of them struggling to raise capital.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#48 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Which gamers? What's a gamer from Nintendo's point-of-view?

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Velius
Member since 2016 • 66 Posts

Why the hell would Nintendo listen to anyone? About anything? I work as an accountant and I can tell you that in terms of profit Nintendo is an oak.

Beyond that, every single time Miyamoto tried to cater to gamers, all they did was whine. He made Wind Waker, a beautiful treasure, and people complained that it was too different from OoT. He made Twilight Princess which might be the best Zelda game ever made, and people complained that it was too similar. People aren't going to be happy, because they don't know what they want. They want to complain, and they want someone to tell them what to like.

Nintendo has a better idea of what is good than the masses, and it has a better idea of what makes a good game than any other company. Until their games start sucking, they will continue to ignore recommendations and criticisms, whether they're valid or not.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@velius said:

Why the hell would Nintendo listen to anyone? About anything? I work as an accountant and I can tell you that in terms of profit Nintendo is an oak.

Beyond that, every single time Miyamoto tried to cater to gamers, all they did was whine. He made Wind Waker, a beautiful treasure, and people complained that it was too different from OoT. He made Twilight Princess which might be the best Zelda game ever made, and people complained that it was too similar. People aren't going to be happy, because they don't know what they want. They want to complain, and they want someone to tell them what to like.

Nintendo has a better idea of what is good than the masses, and it has a better idea of what makes a good game than any other company. Until their games start sucking, they will continue to ignore recommendations and criticisms, whether they're valid or not.

Unless you've not noticed, much of their games have started to suck. Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis, Starfox, and we can soon add Federation Force to that pile. They will continue to ignore, because of hubris and arrogance.

I don't think a company should ever do exactly what their fans want, however I do think they should always be aware of general market desires and keep their past in mind in recognition of how and why it got them so beloved in the first place. Nintendo not only doesn't, they make it a point to be tone deaf and take pride in it. It's why they're in the position they're in today with fans that are quickly losing patience.