wishface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 wishface
Member since 2004 • 62 Posts

Where are these people questioning directly the industry and it's crappy adherents? Why is no one asking for example Treyarch why, yet again, Call of Duty is a broken mess with dreadful balance stupid scorestreak system horrible hit detection and dreadful netcode? Why were servers promised and not delivered? Why is the industry allowed to get away with this crap? Instead of a fun game it's been taken over by shrieking kids not old enough to buy the game and MLG/hardcore idiots that have transformed online gaming into a vipers nest of uber competitive misogynist crap.

None of this is ever ever questioned.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@suicidesn0wman said:

I guess my question is, is the current state of game journalism as some people perceive it not partly constructed and also caused by its consumers?

The way I see it, I'm one of those consumers, and I did not like the way things were changing, so I built this site to give people an alternative. I think by putting the control in the hands of the content creators and consumers, we will end up with content that is higher quality, less biased, and way more informative. On the surface it will look like every other site, but built on a stronger foundation of integrity and honor. All I can do now is let others know it exists and wait for the site to be discovered. We'll see how things play out. If it's a success, great! If not, well, I tried.

Well, I sincerely hope it works out for you, but I personally don't see how your concept will lead to better journalism, especially if noone is dedicating their full time to content control and creation. I don't hold the general consumer in particularly high regard, so I don't think that giving them control is going to be beneficial. Consumers are erratic and self-centered. They will go for what resonates with them, not necessarily for what is objective or high quality. Current journalism might be of a questionable nature in some areas, but I really don't think think consumers or passionate hobbyists can do it much better. But we'll see, I guess.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@loafofgame: I'm not really trying to force better journalism, rather provide a better environment that could lead to better journalism.

If you have any ideas on how I can improve on this idea, please share. I can build anything into this website, and if it'll benefit the gamers it'll be added to my todo list immediately.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#54 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Journalism took a big hit and is still searching what it should be in a world with tweeter and leak of information here and there ...

Back at least 15 years ago, if you wanted news, you had to wait the next issue of your fav mag to get the news and some crappy picture of games to be. it was something. Now, you get the information the second it is posted on tweeter or leaked to make us talk and hype shit.

So yeah what you do when you have 140 caracters tweets to make an article about ... it is shit.

NUSNA_Moebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 NUSNA_Moebius
Member since 2014 • 118 Posts

As long as people give any media attention, they will have a source of viewers & readers which equals ad revenue. Simple as that. Quit visiting and supporting sites that you feel are not worthy of your time.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts
@nusna_moebius said:

As long as people give any media attention, they will have a source of viewers & readers which equals ad revenue. Simple as that. Quit visiting and supporting sites that you feel are not worthy of your time.

Then people will not go to any website.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#57 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Because of "don't like don't read it" childish attitude of gamers. They follow these sites blindly and take everything at face value.

Hedgie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Hedgie
Member since 2016 • 24 Posts

If I may offer my own thoughts on this - I think a part of it is two-fold. On one side, I think it's true about the "online interaction" scene - so many sites (Gamespot included!) now just have a "sign up and post" format that anyone could claim to be a "journalist" and write reviews. Heck, technically I don't have a piece of paper saying I am one, just a certificate saying I'm an above-average English major, and an online certificate says I passed a basic free online journalism course. So I have the education, but not the experience to prove it yet.

However, the other side of the coin is this - especially with gaming or any entertainment write-up: You are going to get 10 times more opinion based articles than any other media. If for instance, I write about my other passion, food. I could say, "This is a good recipe, it may just need some more veggies" or something. The harshest reaction I might get is, "I don't agree, this amount works perfectly!" Now if I wrote a review of say, The Division. If I make the tiniest opinion, such as "I think it'd be cool to see a first-person option." - the next day, there would be so many angry opinions stating that's a TERRIBLE idea, or they can't believe I'd ever want to even mess with The Division, or something similar.

I do feel it's the social media aspect of the Internet and blogging tools that has made game journalism a tough ride. The sweet spot seemed to be when every game console and PC had a magazine, the gamers had a magazine, and even the TV channel G4 had good news shows like X-Play and Attack of the Show. But as soon as blogging and multiple sites came out - at least 5 magazines disappeared, and now G4 is just random geeky reruns.