Why is 60fps THAT big of a deal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts

Many people are complaining, at least from comments regarding the news of some launch titles for the next gen systems, such as the new Killzone and such running at 30fps. People are getting too worked up over it. 

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

On consoles, it isn't too much of a big deal because everyone is equal. Its PC that worries about it because it can affect how one's performance is in an online match.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts

That makes sense i guess. The thing is, even console players complain. 

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

That makes sense i guess. The thing is, even console players complain. 

r-teest
Mainly b/c they want to feel like they can compete with PC.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
as long as the gamer doesn't suffer, then i don't care if it is lower than 60fps. I care about how well the game goes, some texture issues or maybe graphical glitches don't matter to me
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Because some gamers really miss the point of gaming completely in my opinion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Because some people aren't satisfied unless they can have the very best.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

60 FPS looks a lot nicer.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Many people are complaining, at least from comments regarding the news of some launch titles for the next gen systems, such as the new Killzone and such running at 30fps. People are getting too worked up over it. 

r-teest
60fps is a big deal because it´s a bigger number then 30 :D
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
I'm fine if a steady 30fps can be maintained, I'd rather have better visual fidelity and I'd be fine with 30fps as long as it was consistent and smooth.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

It (usually) means lower input latency, which makes controls feel more responsive. This can in turn make the game feel nicer to play. Visually, it can help you do a better job of tracking fast-moving objects.

Either way, I think a steady framerate is more important than a higher average. I'd rather have a rock-solid 30fps game than a 60fps game that frequently drops below 60.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
When it comes to driving games which I enjoy very much the environments sometimes at 30 fps seem jumpy as compared to 60 fps being a smoother scene. At certain points in first person shooters when things get crazy you can tell the difference for sure. Although not seemingly a huge difference between 60-120fps.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Pffrbt

crappy textures at 60fps are still crappy textures. I'll glady exchange a few fps (assuming what we're left with is steady) for better textures, meshes, lighting and special effects, and more detailed environments (which is exactly the exchange we're making here). 30 fps is fine and the difference will be almost imperceptible to most without a side by side comparison or a particularly frenetic gameplay sequence.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
well, the difference between 30 and 60 fps can make a difference in a fast twitch based game (like a shooter such as killzone). however, i think consistency is as important (if not more so). i could've have sworn that i read that guerilla games expects the framerate to bounce back and forth between 30 and 60 in the upcoming killzone. i'd actually rather have a locked 30fps than have the framerate fluctuate up to 60.
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

I like 60fps because it feels smoother. Usually though, if it's not a shooter, I'll settle for 30fps. For killzone, I would have preferred 60fps single player and multiplayer. The final bells and whistles to make the graphics "nicer" aren't usually worth it for me--I usually disable or turn them down on my PC games. How the game plays is far more important than how it looks and 60fps does play better for it responds better.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RimacBugatti
Even if they bumped it up to around 45 fps. But yes textures are very important I agree. I am very picky about the visuals for sure. I have to admit that MGS4 even up close had textures comparable to this gen. Not quite as nice but very close and that's why I guess that my expectations were a little higher for this gen. But overall considering the quality of the launch titles I think by next year this time the performance will be much improved.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

Ish_basic

crappy textures at 60fps are still crappy textures. I'll glady exchange a few fps (assuming what we're left with is steady) for better textures, meshes, lighting and special effects, and more detailed environments (which is exactly the exchange we're making here). 30 fps is fine and the difference will be almost imperceptible to most without a side by side comparison or a particularly frenetic gameplay sequence.

giddy textures all over th e place innit bossman.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Apparently some people can't see the difference between 30 and 60. It's a lot smoother. I'm currently playing GTA V and the frame rate is very noticeable and distracting. I'm anticipating the PS4 and PC versions. Bad frame rates drag a game through the mud. It affects controls. It sucks. Give me 60.
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RimacBugatti
Forza 4 ran extremely smooth and then I found out it was running at 60 fps.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
60fps is so much smoother. That's not to say 30fps is unplayable because it's not (Perfect Dark on the N64 and its ~10fps, that was unplayable). I mean, now there are PC gamers getting spoiled with 120/144Hz monitors running games at that many frames per second. Once you do that you doom yourself, and similarly when you go from a 60fps game to a 30fps one, it feels so choppy in comparison. You also get over it pretty quick so 30fps console games don't bother me much.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Doesn't matter on consoles, because the way you transmit input to the game - the controller - isn't sufficiently precise for a person to grasp a difference between 30 and 60 FPS. When you use a mouse, however, there is an evident loss of fluidity with FPS drops. I'd actually say 30 FPS is tolerable on a PC, in the sense that you won't notice as much of a difference between dropping from 60 to 30 than you would from dropping from 30 to 15 (which is unplayable).

Playing shooters, or other twitch-action games, with sub-60 FPS is something hard to get used to after you've started gaming with 60 FPS - but if you're alright with using analog sticks for aiming, you shouldn't care about a 30 FPS difference.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I'm okay with 30FPS locked or 60FPS. Anything below 30FPS starts to really bother me.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Doesn't matter on consoles, because the way you transmit input to the game - the controller - isn't sufficiently precise for a person to grasp a difference between 30 and 60 FPS. When you use a mouse, however, there is an evident loss of fluidity with FPS drops. I'd actually say 30 FPS is tolerable on a PC, in the sense that you won't notice as much of a difference between dropping from 60 to 30 than you would from dropping from 30 to 15 (which is unplayable).

Playing shooters, or other twitch-action games, with sub-60 FPS is something hard to get used to after you've started gaming with 60 FPS - but if you're alright with using analog sticks for aiming, you shouldn't care about a 30 FPS difference.

iHarlequin

Your sig is going to give me a seizure.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

MirkoS77

Your sig is going to give me a seizure.

:lol: Couldn't have missed the opportunity to use it. I find it particularly funny that the King Harkinian and Zelda in the sig. are the ones from the terrible, TERRIBLE Philips CD-i console - so bad that even Nintendo doesn't recognize them as part of the franchise (in part because they didn't develop it).

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

So long as my minimum framerates are at least 30fps, I'm fine if the top end is less than 60fps. That would mean average framerates at least in the upper 30's to low 40's.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RimacBugatti
In my opinion personally I couldn't play PS1 because of the framerates. That's why I didn't start gaming until Dreamcast came out. Before that all of the consoles had very poor framerates. The 16 bit consoles weren't that bad seemingly but when they went 3D the framerates were seemingly very poor.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

It's not, 120 FPS is where it's at.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

well certain genres benefit from higher frame rate more than others. Games where people have to time button presses to one 60th of a second like in Street Fighter for example would hate for the series to be in a lower framerate. I'd say heavy action games should run at 60 frames per second in general. Stuff like Fighters and Hack n slashes.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

30vs60-3.gif

iKuvI6jaWm9cy.gif.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Apparently some people can't see the difference between 30 and 60. It's a lot smoother. I'm currently playing GTA V and the frame rate is very noticeable and distracting. I'm anticipating the PS4 and PC versions. Bad frame rates drag a game through the mud. It affects controls. It sucks. Give me 60. MirkoS77

Input lag can derive from a number of sources and most commonly is caused by what you're console is connected to (this is why MLG uses monitors and not TVs). I haven't played GTAV, but I've heard the input lag has been measured at around 200ms, which is awful. But blame Rockstar, not the framerate. There are games on the 360 running at 30fps with an input lag around 80ms, which is only about 20-25ms above the expected input lag of a game running in 60fps. On a controller, that difference is negligble.

Also, while I certainly can tell the difference on a monitor between 30 and 60fps, on a TV with all its built in image processing and the typical motion blur and such that consoles use, it really tends to be far less noticeable.

I would, however, in this instance worry about KZ, because Guerilla has had problems with input lag before. I think KZ2 was about 150ms. But in general, with a solid dev crew, a reasonably good TV (for gaming purposes), and a controller, 30 fps shouldn't be a big deal.