Why do so many people say Red Dead Redemption 2 is boring?

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

I've read a lot of reviews by people, and they say the game is boring. They say the story is slow and the travel is slow.

What many people fail to realize is, if there were no story, there would be no goals. There would be amazing graphics, but no story or goals.

A lot of people seem to want to just do whatever they want on the map, with no story involved. I find that ridiculous. Without story or goals, the game would have no purpose. The story gives the game meaning as well. It may be boring, but story, character development, etc, is important. Like I said, without them, the game would have no purpose or meaning.

What do you think? Is the game really boring?

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

R* simply made a open world story game with nothing to do but trot about a wilderness and a predictably p*ss poor story. But... Graphics!

SheepKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 SheepKilla
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

It's a walking simulator. Walk, shoot, watch scenery. C'mon man. This game will be forgotten in 3 months. I don't even have to play it to know it's boring.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

I'd didn't find the story that engaging TBH. The combat is the same piss poor standard Rockstar puts out in all there games. In other words not really fun, more something you put up with.

Last was it all seemed like one pointless fetch quest.

hyperbertha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hyperbertha
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

@qx0d: Because rockstar games have mediocre controls and combat. Only extreme casuals adore their games because ooo open world ooo graphix.

hyperbertha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hyperbertha
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

@jackamomo: Is the story that bad? Media are calling it their best storytelling to date. (pls no spoilers)

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Damedius said:

I'd didn't find the story that engaging TBH. The combat is the same piss poor standard Rockstar puts out in all there games. In other words not really fun, more something you put up with.

That's a really good way to put it. The combat is just something you put up with. I sold my copy after about four hours. I almost never sell games, but the gunplay just brought down the whole experience. It's super weird that they made my favorite shooting mechanics ever in Max Payne 3 but otherwise are failures. But why focus on the controls if you're getting 98 score averages and selling tens of millions of copies anyway? More and more, I find myself disagreeing with critical responses.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:
@Damedius said:

That's a really good way to put it. The combat is just something you put up with. I sold my copy after about four hours. I almost never sell games, but the gunplay just brought down the whole experience. It's super weird that they made my favorite shooting mechanics ever in Max Payne 3 but otherwise are failures. But why focus on the controls if you're getting 98 score averages and selling tens of millions of copies anyway? More and more, I find myself disagreeing with critical responses.

"More and more"? If you're the guy I think you are - banned from GB and Escapist, does nothing but champion MP3 and post 360 no scopes - then you've been on the same frequency for years.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

Every popular game has its fair share of haters. Uncharted has the same thing.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Westerns in general are boring.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@qx0d: I think enough threads of Red Dead Redemption 2 on GD have been made that'll give you the answers without making a fresh one.

But to sum up these seem to be the issues I've noticed people claim on the internet, keep in mind I have not played RDR2 or ever plan to-

• Shooting is bad, with fans stating "you get use to it", but bad usually means bad.
  • Cleaning, shaving, are time wasting editions needed for certain progression. This seems like a pacing issue.
  • Shooting a bandits horse will get you a bounty because cruelty to animals is bad, despite this game returning the hunting feature.
  • Hunting seems repetitive and A.I. for animals strings from stupid to crazy. Claims of prey vanishing has been noted commonly.
  • movement apparently feels clunky and unresponsive.

Fans have claimed all of this is creators intent for realism, and maybe it is. But doesn't read like something that's very fun does it?

But then I suppose for openworld immersion and story telling of the wild west I can see the appeal, a good shooter or a game with tight and polished gaming mechanics? Go some place else.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Westerns in general are boring.

Even though I enjoyed the game I agree with this statement I'm way more excited for CyberPunk 2077 just on setting alone.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

It's very tedious. I like it, but it is.

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

Yes, it’s boring if you’re 14.

But your opinion can’t be taken seriously either.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Anyone who finds it boring needs to re-evaluate gaming as a hobby. The game is incredible I'm sad I finished the story might have to replay it soon. Thinking about going back to finish 1 again. Felt Arthur was a great character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@Longsnout said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@Damedius said:

"More and more"? If you're the guy I think you are - banned from GB and Escapist, does nothing but champion MP3 and post 360 no scopes - then you've been on the same frequency for years.

Yeah, the guy on The Escapist with two of the biggest ongoing threads in both General Gaming and Off-topic Discussion. My threads usually sparked discussion. But clearly that place was better off without me. Their moderation and policies are poor. Many of the members who have left and stayed think so. My final strike came for calling someone who was continually acting like a jerk a jerk. I talk about plenty of stuff besides MP3. Rockstar's other shooting systems are poor, though. That's really easy to argue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ezekiel43 said:
@Longsnout said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@Damedius said:

Yeah, the guy on The Escapist with two of the biggest ongoing threads in both General Gaming and Off-topic Discussion. My threads usually sparked discussion. But clearly that place was better off without me. Their moderation and policies are poor. Many of the members who have left and stayed think so. My final strike came for calling someone who was continually acting like a jerk a jerk. I talk about plenty of stuff besides MP3. Rockstar's other shooting systems are poor, though. That's really easy to argue.

I got banned from GB too like a year ago lol I remember you my SN use to be jec03.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
@warmblur said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@Longsnout said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I got banned from GB too like a year ago lol I remember you my SN use to be jec03.

The GB community is too positive and agreeable with each other. They're group-thinkers, one of the only places that collectively use the ridiculous term character action. I never felt my ban was justified. Complaining isn't against the rules, but they use the term "troll" to justify any ban.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ezekiel43 said:
@warmblur said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@Longsnout said:

The GB community is too positive and agreeable with each other. I never felt my ban was justified. Complaining isn't against the rules, but they use the term "troll" to justify any ban.

Agree can't stand what the site has become it was alot better in the early years the mod there is ban happy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@Longsnout: Actually, I'm pretty sure you are the jerk I mentioned, Johnny Novgorod. He too kept mentioning my no-scope, said that all I ever talk about is MP3 and keeps talking about his girlfriend, whom I see mentioned in your short post history here. You write like him too. You followed me from thread to thread, dropping your sarcasm and snark on me repeatedly and often adding nothing else to my topic. My calling you a jerk was completely warranted.

People were on my side. They didn't want me banned. The moderation is bad.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055188-In-Regards-to-Wild-West?page=10#24239002

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055188-In-Regards-to-Wild-West?page=11#24239197

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055188-In-Regards-to-Wild-West?page=12#24239313

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055311-We-need-to-talk-about-the-mods#24239645

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055311-We-need-to-talk-about-the-mods#24239660

heljar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 heljar75
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts

@qx0d: For the record, I like RDR2. But just because a game has a story doesn't exclude it from being boring. Which weirdly seems to be your point. I can totally understand people finding it boring. I got bored a few times myself. I think the everyday cowboy-tasks were boring. I don't like hunting, fishing or collecting flowers. I don't mind them being there for people who enjoy that sort of thing, but I didn't enjoy being forced through these boring tasks multiple times while playing the main story and side quests. I'm kinda a completionist when it comes to open-world games. I like finishing every side-missions. So when I was finished with the main-story and side-missions I was "forced" to fish and hunt multiple times I really didn't want to do. That was unnecessary.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

@jackamomo: So... like many other open-world games? Cause you've just described the majority of them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Aimless open-world games have become boring, tedious toil. You can't even call them "work" anymore (this is after we stopped calling them "fun") because work can actually be fun at times; nope, this design has turned what should be enjoyable into a chore.

RDR2 might have been a better game if the market was not saturated with huge open worlds, but unfortunately it is, so RDR2 is just another big boring world to become enslaved to. Catch that fish, find that horse, blah blah blah.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

If you're merely referring to its combat gameplay mechanics, then yes, but what kind of variety would you expect from a game that tries to more or less faithfully represent, tho fictional, some past reality? Special effects, flying vehicles, aliens and light sabers?

The game relies on narrative aspects and interaction, exploration and discoveries in an immersive, detailed world. It has to be slow,

it's not Bayonetta.

The gameplay just ties in with the setting, lore and story of the game.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

@pitty8982: Speaking of which, is there a fast travel system at all (other than taking the train)?

@ezekiel43: I'm sure there's more than one person in the world who has a girlfriend and likes The Sopranos enough to remember an avatar. Anyway, good luck fighting the good fight.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Well, here in the west we got this thing called freedom of speech. So if we find a game boring, we are allowed to say it without nutty fanboys jumping down on us with knives.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Because people have differing opinions.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pitty8982

@Longsnout: Yes, after unlocking it by completing certain missions, from your tent you can travel to different destinations that you've already visited.

AbsoluteAce_YT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AbsoluteAce_YT
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

Is it because the game is long is aspects of story?

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@hyperbertha said:

@qx0d: Because rockstar games have mediocre controls and combat. Only extreme casuals adore their games because ooo open world ooo graphix.

Do you cut yourself on your edginess, oh hardcore one?

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pitty8982

I understand this game can be tedious if you don't feel invested and captured by the world in it for you to explore and tamper with, but for me the key is approaching it with a different mindset, that of an explorer rather than one who just wants to quickly get into the action.

I like to tackle different generes depending on my mood and time/energy I want to invest in a certain videogame, or I just alternate between them while I'm playing, i.e. switching from Red Dead Redemption 2 to Metroid Fusion to avoid redundancy.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Gamers love having something to whine about. I'm loving the game and I feel it was worth every preordered penny. My only gripes are the distance limitations on horse whistling and the fact that you can't carry all of your weapons at once. It seems like I'm always getting stuck on a mission with just a pistol and a sawed off shotgun with like 6 bullets lol

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jackamomo

@hyperbertha: I watched someone play it on Twitch for about 30 minutes. All the men have the same gruff voice. It's just dumb. Everything takes ages to happen. Then when the action came along it was just shooting passengers down in cold blood for no apparent reason. It was just mega slow. Big game like this need proper real story writers/novelists, professional screenwriters, that kind of thing because the stories are sixth grade level every time in my experience and end up being more dull than wacky because it's all just cookie cutter stuff.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#35 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@jackamomo:

The story actually is quite amazing after a while. It affects you more if you finished Red Dead Redemption 1 though. But I definitely feel that the new story arc of Arthur Morgan is more than good enough to stand on its own. But games like this are best to be experienced first hand. You're not going to enjoy anything by watching. No wonder so many lems and hermits thought Uncharted is boring since all most of them did was watch a playthrough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@jackamomo said:

@hyperbertha: Big game like this need proper real story writers/novelists, professional screenwriters, that kind of thing because the stories are sixth grade level every time in my experience and end up being more dull than wacky because it's all just cookie cutter stuff.

Agreed. I've been wishing for years that Dan Houser would just hire professional writers instead of taking on the responsibility himself.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jackamomo

@ezekiel43:

As well as producing video games, Houser is the head writer for Rockstar Games, being the lead for Bully, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Houser

I think you have identified the problem here...

lilhurk1985187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 lilhurk1985187
Member since 2014 • 571 Posts

Because it is.

Avatar image for rockstargamer48
Rockstargamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rockstargamer48
Member since 2018 • 36 Posts

@qx0d: Ignore what some other people say. It's an old-western game, and anyone who played the first game won't complain. The first game had a slow beginning to and this game improves upon the aspects of the last game.

Most people aren't use to slow-paced games. Everyone just wants the action right away. Red Dead 2 is an amazing game. The game does need fast travel and Rockstar needs to fix the controls(input lag) in my opinion. But besides that there's not much to say.

Rockstar chose to make an innovative game that differs from the mainstream. They could've streamlined the game to make it accessible to a wider audience like GTA 5 is, but luckily they didn't. This is exactly why games are getting streamlined, and anything that differs from the norm is seen as irrelevant for some gamers.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. I haven't sunk this much time into a game in a long time. I'm doing my best to slow the story progression because I don't want it to end. I've spent at least 20 hours ignoring story missions and just exploring.

MAXTHUNDER99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MAXTHUNDER99
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

This is by far the worst game I've played and the game is frustrating. Movement and controls are clunky, game mechanics are terrible. The graphics are decent for the world but the graphics look terrible for the character models. The only thing I like about this game is the dialogue. ROCKSTAR* need to go with an entirely new engine for their next game because it's old and outdated.

pottt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pottt
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Maybe it just because they are not good at open world.

Iseeitake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Iseeitake
Member since 2019 • 8 Posts

I didn’t care for RDR2 either. I tried but the story and the game play didn’t hold my attention. It felt like GTA with horses.

After playing W3 I think I’m spoiled when it comes to open world story games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Personally its open world fatigue. I already hate the repititve task in other open world, RDR2 just makes them even slower in the name of in depth experience

CentristGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CentristGamer
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

Here’s a balanced blog about Red Dead Redemption 2. Take a read. http://anenglishcentrist.com/2019/01/25/the-good-the-bad-and-the-boring/

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jackamomo

I think it is fair to say westerns are kind of boring. I watched Sergio Leone's trilogy last year and have to admit I kept going to do other things. I was kind of cooking at the same time.

Ponderous in tone.

british_accent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 british_accent
Member since 2019 • 14 Posts

I think, they have already played lots of actions and can't stand not so fast rhythm of RDR2 anymore. For those who are newbies in gaming, it's not boring at all. Open world, missions and western atmosphere fell totally new for us. But what if oldfags have already seen that somewhere else?