Why do I suck so bad at online FPS games?????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lucaso777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lucaso777
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

Every game I play I'm generally pretty good at but when it comes to online FPSs it is about a half-second after I see someone that I'm dead and haven't even gotten on target. Specifically, I'm playing Destiny, and last night I shot a guy four times in the head but he just kept running around like nothing happened. Then he pulls out a pistol and just like that I'm a goner.

Am I missing something in the FPS development stage? I seriously end cruicible battles with like 7 deaths and no kills. I have a Master's degree for heaven's sakes, shouldn't I have the intelligence to figure out how to shoot someone (virtually - FBI spooks, virtually)!!!???!!!

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#2 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

There's no sure fire formula, you just have to practice. Most shooters nowadays have a online and off-line bot mode. You might want to spend time playing with bots before you go live.

Plus it will give you time to get to know the maps and what weapons you are comfortable with.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Have you tried finding some good player(s) on youtube and see what they are doing? Haven't played Destiny but there are a lot of good tips out there in general.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I suck at them too, you not alone

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

I like you am terrible at FPS games. The thing is there are a core skill set you have to have to be good at them:

1. Memorize the maps. Know where all the ammo/weapons are (if applicable) and where the heavy traffic will be and where people like to hide. The people that play the game all the time already know this and that's why if you're inexperienced with the game it is harder.

2. Know the weapons and their effective ranges/when to use them. Get very good at aiming with lots of practice. Get good with aiming grenades or vehicles (if applicable) as well.

3. Make sure you are on the fastest internet connections possible. Lag will destroy you.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Having a Masters degree has nothing to do with you sucking at a certain type of game. I have two Masters and a PhD and I suck badly at playing ANY sports game, hell I even suck at playing Golf for crying out loud. In shooters I ´m a much better FPS ( ex Halo, COD ) player than TPS ( Gears ), in FPS about half of the kills I make are from head shots.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Yeah I'm the same... I'm pretty hopeless at online shooters too (probably because I hardly ever play them because I find them boring).

But I have been playing a bit of Halo 5 Warzone, and slowly am improving with more practice.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

Know the maps, customize your best loadout, and play it safe. Don't go running out into the fray trying to get a kill. Find a good position, move around only when you need to, find cover, and rack up some kills.

You aren't alone. When I started playing multiplayer FPS about two months ago, I was averaging something like 3 kills 12 deaths in a game like Battlefield 4. Now I'm averaging something like 20 kills and 8 deaths. You'll get better. Maybe try a game other than Destiny.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@lucaso777 said:

Every game I play I'm generally pretty good at but when it comes to online FPSs it is about a half-second after I see someone that I'm dead and haven't even gotten on target. Specifically, I'm playing Destiny, and last night I shot a guy four times in the head but he just kept running around like nothing happened. Then he pulls out a pistol and just like that I'm a goner.

Am I missing something in the FPS development stage? I seriously end cruicible battles with like 7 deaths and no kills. I have a Master's degree for heaven's sakes, shouldn't I have the intelligence to figure out how to shoot someone (virtually - FBI spooks, virtually)!!!???!!!

Practice, practice , practice and make sure to practice some more.

That is the only way to get better

Also having a Masters does not mean jack shit, when FPS games is about reaction and eye/hand coordination.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

I play them pretty frequently, but I also pretty much suck. I have noticed that when I go through phases of playing a lot, I tend to do well for a while. I guess that supports the "practice" theory. I'm also old though and convinced that the whiny 12 year olds that routinely kick my a, just have younger, better, reflexes.

Matthew2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Matthew2016
Member since 2016 • 40 Posts

it depends on the game's you are playing for instance games like Battlefield 4 play way different than game's like COD or Destiny. so you need to understand you're play style and equip the weapons required to the way you play. and sensitivity also is a very important thing if you like flexibility then a higher sensitivity will be better for you're needs. but that will increase recoil so a lower sensitivity will have less flexibility but less recoil. if you like to run about then a high fire rate gun or a shotgun might be better for you. if you like to stay at a distance then a assault rifle with good accuracy and range will be best for you. and if you are a camper then a sniper is obviously required. also keep you're gun up when you run so don't look at the ground. also don't run around corners because you will be running into a shotgun if you do that. and also depending on the map you play change to the class you think will be best for that map. other than that just keep practicing until you feel like you are good enough. that's mostly all you need to know i could go on all day about different techniques but you should be all set.

Avatar image for Andrew_is_basic
Andrew_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#12 Andrew_is_basic
Member since 2004 • 4140 Posts

Turn up your sensitivity and drink a red bull. Works everytime.

LordMithras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordMithras
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

@lucaso777: Have you considered the fact that it's not you? I've been a gamer all my life 30+ years. Now that I have a job... and a life, I don't to play that much, and I'm not as interested as I used to be. But still I sign in every now and then to play something like Overwatch (i like the characters and the game mechanics) but I suck. I've never sucked before but I do... at almost every MMO type game... Turns out I can't compete with people who game 20-40 hours /week against my 2-4 hours / week. Its a sad state when the gaming industry has people so addicted that in order to enjoy a game you have to commit that amount of time. There are very few games for me now. Just a thought

Avatar image for justaprogamer27
justaprogamer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 justaprogamer27
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

You gotta mainly just practice. on cod, class setup matters a lot. also, map knowledge.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

You need to find a game that works better for you.

Destiny 2 isn't bad, but it's not great.

Me? I am pretty much useless at killing people; I mean, I'm not terrible, I can get kills, but I'm never at the top kill-wise. This is why I tend to gravitate towards class-based, team-focused games where you can play support characters. I kick ass as a medic in the Battlefield games, often being among the top 10% players per match with a trivial amount of kills. Why? Because I am playing the objective, keeping my team alive, and otherwise doing everything I can to get points. Same thing with Team Fortress 2 and the engineer class; staying back in my base, playing defense, building dispensers and guarding the objective (I let my turret do the killing :D )

Maybe you need to find another online game where you can find a way to let your better qualities shine.

eLenoreX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eLenoreX
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I am not good at FPS game too, they are too hard for the player like me, I am too slow

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

You and me both. I suck at online competitive stuff. Only online game I really play is BF4, and I suck... but it's still fun, especially with a buddy.

Midnight44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Midnight44
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Gotta work on those reflexes man. Try doing some hand-eye coordination exercises, like playing Battlefield 4 for 20+ hours a day..

After a year straight, I swear on my mother's grave, you will be in the top 10 of any FPS out there.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pcvirginrace
Member since 2017 • 192 Posts

Try older for like Halo, quake

Newer fps is about who sees who first wins. You die in 3 bullet and the best perks win

Old fps arena takes alot of bullet to kill. You can get spotted first but survive. And it's not about how much you unlock but practice makes perkfect

Also, Halos radars are very close proximity. You can't see others far away nor can they see you when you crouch.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Its game specific, I lead many times in COD4, and I got a lot of knife kills after I shot out my 2 rpgs... that specific combo made me win games even tho i suck at aiming with an assault rifle or smg

Avatar image for gameoverman2016
GameOverMan2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GameOverMan2016

Dont feel bad man, I am nearly 40. I suck at most FPS games, if the FPS has a 1st person mode I tend to do a bit better, unless Rainbow Siege Six. I love that game but suck apples in it.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

you just need to practice. Spend more time to get better.

Hinata2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hinata2
Member since 2018 • 20 Posts

@thehig1 said:

I suck at them too, you not alone

let me join too :(

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

Are we talking about console or PC? Controller or keyboard+mouse?

I’m pretty solid on console with a controller (my favorite experience) but these days I’m garbage on PC with keyboard+mouse. Some of those guys are just too damn good. Or cheating.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

FPS games require speed and reflexes for you to come out on top. There are very few that actually require ‘skill’ in the sense of using your brain. You spot a guy - quickest on the trigger gets the kill. That’s it.

So if you’re fast, you’ll go well. If you’re slow, you’ll never reach the big league tables.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

your using a controller and not a M & K

ittybittykitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ittybittykitty

You're not alone. I very rarely play shooters and only recently started because I miss gaming with my friends. I honestly feel so dumb sometimes with how terrible I do lol. I practice as much as I can but I guess I am just not meant to be a pro at shooters!

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1854 Posts

@lucaso777 said:

I just give up on those games. I had another conversation with a girl where we complained about how as soon as you enter the lobby, you get shot. It's why I stick to Call of Duty Zombies and leave the FPS games alone.

Snake8604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Snake8604
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

So, from what I'm experiencing, as an infantryman from both the Marine Corps, and then the Army:

For me, it's about my training. We're taught "aim center mass". Which I do. Every time. I score several hits on a dude, but he shoots me once and I'm dropped like a bad habit.

The developers have hit point systems in play in the virtual world. But in reality, most of the people we play against wouldn't last half as long as they do in video games. It's a bitter, sad fact that I hate admitting. It's part of the reason I'm turned off to shooters, honestly.

Yet, here I am, playing them more often than I care to admit.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

u need some luck in certain games , like diablo 3. Luck to get rare items.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts

@csepi: why are you bumping/advertising/spamming/trolling all at the same time???

Mods will be closing this thread shortly.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@outworld222 said:

@csepi: why are you bumping/advertising/spamming/trolling all at the same time???

Mods will be closing this thread shortly.

You know it. Locking this thread due to spambot necro thread.