Why do a lot of Hitman fans hate Absolution?

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 k41m
Member since 2011 • 879 Posts

I've been playing the Hitman series for a very long time and I absolutely loved Absolution, it had a great story and wonderful gameplay that kept me on edge for almost the whole playthrough not to mention the voice acting and audio was awesome. I was just wondering from some of you Absolution haters why you dislike it so much?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The number reason is its become a generic shooter and no longer focus on stealth.... Which is a whole load of bullsh!t

theres a few other complaints but that one is the most popular.

Not only do I think Absolution is great... I think its the Best Hitman game... Even Better than the fan favourite Blood Money.

And I hope Hitman 6 follows the trend of being better instead of trying to appeal to peoples Notalgia.

Absolution is to Hitman what President Evil 5 was To President Evil.... A damn good game :p !

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I hated it at first because I was playing on hard on my first run and the disguises are broken on any difficulty higher than normal. It's a game meant to be enjoyed only on normal.

I still hate the fact that you can conceal several shotguns and rifles in your pockets and that you can't steal everybody's clothes. I miss the mission preparation and the weapon customization from Blood Money, though that absence is justified by the plot.

It's a great game under the right circumstances and with a few caveats.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Black_Knight_00

By the "Disguises are broken" I'm assuming you mean how the Instinct mechanic affects the Disguises ?

If thats what you mean then they are not completely broken. disguises have categories, service men won't see through your disguise if you're security personel and vice versa also there also unique disguises that absolutely no one can see through at all like the chef or the chicken suit or the wrestler. But its stupid because of the territories, you can't elude security in a service disguise if you are in restricted territory where service men just can't go. And a security disguise is not an advantage in territories where service people reside. Sometimes you can't walk up in there as Mr. 47, professional assassin, and all the janitor is gona do is ask you not to sh!t on the floor because he just cleaned it. :p

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

im a hitman fan and i liked it.

the little things got on my nerves tho, wearing a mask should at least have some effect on being detected. other little things got me annoyed, but on the whole it was a great addition to the hitman library. not as good as contracts or blood money but better than 2 (never beat the first one). more levels where ur killing targets and less sneaking only levels wouldnt have hurt either.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ i-rock-socks

I liked those Targetless levels. You still had the same level of opeb ended freedom to get throught that level in multiples ways like you do with killing targets.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@k41m said:

I've been playing the Hitman series for a very long time and I absolutely loved Absolution, it had a great story and wonderful gameplay that kept me on edge for almost the whole playthrough not to mention the voice acting and audio was awesome. I was just wondering from some of you Absolution haters why you dislike it so much?

Fans dont hate Absolution but some don't like the change away from the more "single contract kills" like the previous games, into absolution where all the missions ties together and reflect the main story.

Anyone saying its not about stealth clearly never played Absolution or is one of those players that needs to be actively prevented from doing anything else before they really feel "Stealthy"

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 k41m

@Jacanuk said:

@k41m said:

Fans dont hate Absolution but some don't like the change away from the more "single contract kills" like the previous games, into absolution where all the missions ties together and reflect the main story.

Anyone saying its not about stealth clearly never played Absolution or is one of those players that needs to be actively prevented from doing anything else before they really feel "Stealthy"

I'm playing it again right now and if some people really have the balls to outright lie and say it isn't stealthy then I will sh!t myself and wipe with sandpaper.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Black_Knight_00

By the "Disguises are broken" I'm assuming you mean how the Instinct mechanic affects the Disguises ?

If thats what you mean then they are not completely broken. disguises have categories, service men won't see through your disguise if you're security personel and vice versa also there also unique disguises that absolutely no one can see through at all like the chef or the chicken suit or the wrestler. But its stupid because of the territories, you can't elude security in a service disguise if you are in restricted territory where service men just can't go. And a security disguise is not an advantage in territories where service people reside. Sometimes you can't walk up in there as Mr. 47, professional assassin, and all the janitor is gona do is ask you not to sh!t on the floor because he just cleaned it. :p

By broken I mean that while it's understandable that a small town cop may get suspicious seeing a stranger dressed in his same uniform strolling around their tiny police station, it is completely braindead that a street cook in full Chinese new year will abandon his shop to chase down a guy because he's dressed as a cook too and he doesn't know him. The same goes for security guards at a large mining complex, guards at a giant wrestling arena, Chicago cops and so on. Wearing a disguise in that game (on hard difficulty and up) is more dangerous than not wearing one, making the whole mechanic more trouble than it's worth.

In the King of Chinatown level, try wearing a cook's clothes and allowing another cook to spot you: he'll call the police. If you tun away from the police they'll call the SWAT. That... is bullshit.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

The level design for almost the majority of the levels are linear and only there for just the story,

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@ Black_Knight_00

Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean. Its a massive design flaw. LOL ! I can't believe they missed that.

Despite all that... You looking foward to Hitman 6 ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@ blangenakker

I think you just have a poor sense of Direction.... Even the levels that don't require you to kill anybody are open ended... Some of them even have a verticle nature in their design.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

I didn't hate it, I just found it to be quite boring, I expected more by now. In my opinion Hitman started out great and went down by each release. There are so many obvious things they could do to lift the series to new hights but they never do it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Black_Knight_00

By broken I mean that while it's understandable that a small town cop may get suspicious seeing a stranger dressed in his same uniform strolling around their tiny police station, it is completely braindead that a street cook in full Chinese new year will abandon his shop to chase down a guy because he's dressed as a cook too and he doesn't know him. The same goes for security guards at a large mining complex, guards at a giant wrestling arena, Chicago cops and so on. Wearing a disguise in that game (on hard difficulty and up) is more dangerous than not wearing one, making the whole mechanic more trouble than it's worth.

In the King of Chinatown level, try wearing a cook's clothes and allowing another cook to spot you: he'll call the police. If you tun away from the police they'll call the SWAT. That... is bullshit.

You are right Black, the mechanics is broken because you dont like it and because apparently you dont see that this is a game and that there has to be some sort of barrier in place, because yes it might be true that in real life in chinatown during new year that someone could take on a cooks uniform and walk around undetected, particular a white guy or that someone could pick up a guards uniform at a mining companies HQ and walk around undetected, because we often hear about that right.

So no Hitman is not broken just because you don't like how the game devs decided to deal with how to make the game a challenge and not just a cakewalk.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@Jacanuk: Missing the point I see, as usual. You need to learn to read posts before rushing to reply in a nerdrage.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It was a pretty good game. But Blood Money was just so much better. The disguise system in absolution was awful. But its not a bad game at all.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Missions in Absolution were Linear and small , you just had to go from A to B and kill a few things on the way . it didn't make you think and use your brain and it was pretty easy .

But older Hitman games put you in a Big area and you have total freedom and many choices to do your Mission .

another bad thing in Absolution was Instinct . it was Stupid and Unrealistic

another unrealistic and stupid thing about Absolution was Agent 47's magic pockets , he could fit a Sniper Rifle in it ! lol

I Hated Mission design and overall gameplay , but I also liked a few things , Shooting mechanics , cover system , graphics and .... it was good to have agent 47 back !

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

hitman absolution its good game

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu Compared to other Stealth Action games yes they are open ended

but Compared to Blood Money , no they are not .

Absolution was too Linear to be called a Hitman Game . it didn't feel like a Hitman game for me :(

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@ kingcrimson24

I really don't get it. I played Blood Money.... I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. Absolution was larger and more open ended its design.

I'm not even trying to argue with you anymore, now I'm just Confused. :(

"it didn't make you think and use your brain and it was pretty easy...."

well heres the thing. Batman doesn't make you use quickfire gadgets either.... But you can if you want to and it does make the game better. The Same applies to Absolution, its not going to FORCE you into using stealth and other strategies. If a game does that then its still kind of like "hand-holding" but for masochists. Yes it doesn't make you use your brain but it doesn't mean it doesn't let you. You'l find alot of games more satisfying if you stop doing the bare minimum and really be more active in your your hobby.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@ Jacanuk

You overlooked the same flaw the developers did. Theres an iconsistancy, in some areas where its actually safer to be Mr. 47 than to in the cooks disguise. Theres only small zones where the disguise is actually an advanantage but it becomes a disadvantage when cooks are in non-restriced areas as well. Wearing the disguise there is just high risk but no reward because they can still detect you.... The neutral areas are places with alot of traffic... How dow they know its not just another unrelated cook just passing through ?. They should disable all detection in Neutral Zones unless its dead obvious that that particular disguise is suspicious. It would restore some of the balance.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Absolution is a fine game in itself, but this disguise system is not good.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I don't hate it , it is a decent game (8/10) but I didn't like the direction they took with that game . It felt like the beginning of the end like any other franchise (look at Thief , Crysis , Resident Evil etc etc etc) .

Hitman Blood Money was much more non linear , had tons of stuff to do . You could eliminate your target by number of ways ; poison his drink , kill him face to face , Plant TNT , Shoot him using sniper rifle from other building , Bribe someone to help you and so on . Absolution was just like SC Conviction , action oriented and sign of bad things to come ie- cover based shooting , fast paced gameplay , seeing through walls , mark and execute crap , less gadgets and so on .

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 k41m

I guess we all have to agree to disagree because while I loved Blood Money I thought Absolution was a HUGE step up

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 k41m

Just got done replaying Blood Money and my GOD I can't believe how dated it feels. BM is a great game but compared to Absolution or ask me to pick which one I want to own, BM goes in the garbage.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@ Cloud_imperium

Uhhhh.... You could do all those things in Absolution aswelll...... For each target, infact Absolution was much better at poisonings, staging accidents and unique costume themed assassination methods like the Barber or the Wrester...