Who does not care about graphics?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Dorby5826and360
Dorby5826and360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Dorby5826and360
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts
How many gamers out there think that graphics are not very important when reviewing a game?
thaflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: -1

#2 thaflu
Member since 2006 • 659 Posts

I could care less about graphics. But, I can understand how they are important to a game; however, they shouldn't be the determining factor on whether you should buy a game or not. Or, whether a game gets a good or bad score.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
not to the point people take it too, pausing the screen and analyzing each pixel
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

How many gamers out there think that graphics are not very important when reviewing a game?Dorby5826and360

I think it does matter just not as muhc as gameplay and story. I have limits though, if a game comes out with abd graphics it can't get a perfect score but it can still get a good one.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Graphics can't make a bad game good. But not only are graphics an important aspect of the gaming experience, it is also laziness for a developer to make a game that shines in every aspect but the graphics. If the technology is available use it to the fullest. Why would anyone want developers not to do their very best in every aspect possible?
LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
Graphics will always be important, as it adds to the spectacle and immersion of a game. IMO, it depends on what genre and game in particular. If you think about it, games are just a jumble of video and audio, compiled to create something with meaning, so why would an improved video not be a determining factor?
wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wide_ocean
Member since 2008 • 288 Posts

I think we all appreciate good graphics, but for some people, like myself, they hardly make a mediocre game good or an new game better than an older one.

F.e. Fallout 3 is a joke compared to Fallout 2, graphics are not going to change that.

RBerry82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RBerry82
Member since 2002 • 9631 Posts
Graphics can't make a bad game good. But not only are graphics an important aspect of the gaming experience, it is also laziness for a developer to make a game that shines in every aspect but the graphics. If the technology is available use it to the fullest. Why would anyone want developers not to do their very best in every aspect possible?Diablo-B
Your complete ignorance of game development shines through. "Laziness" should never be used in the same sentence as developer, as they are some of the hardest working people in the tech industry. Believe it or not, developers have artificial limitations with time and budget that keep a game from being everything they want it to be. Nobody ever says, "Hey, let's me a good game but give it crappy graphics".
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Graphics can't make a bad game good. But not only are graphics an important aspect of the gaming experience, it is also laziness for a developer to make a game that shines in every aspect but the graphics. If the technology is available use it to the fullest. Why would anyone want developers not to do their very best in every aspect possible?RBerry82
Your complete ignorance of game development shines through. "Laziness" should never be used in the same sentence as developer, as they are some of the hardest working people in the tech industry. Believe it or not, developers have artificial limitations with time and budget that keep a game from being everything they want it to be. Nobody ever says, "Hey, let's me a good game but give it crappy graphics".

For small time, up and coming developers maybe. But when your talking about development giants time and money constraints are very weak excuses.
Avatar image for VigilanteArtist
VigilanteArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VigilanteArtist
Member since 2004 • 699 Posts

Artistic style is more important to me than technical graphical capabilities, but it does allow greater freedom when applying your style. Also, it's very conducive to player immersion in the game world.

wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wide_ocean

[QUOTE="RBerry82"][QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Graphics can't make a bad game good. But not only are graphics an important aspect of the gaming experience, it is also laziness for a developer to make a game that shines in every aspect but the graphics. If the technology is available use it to the fullest. Why would anyone want developers not to do their very best in every aspect possible?Diablo-B

For small time, up and coming developers maybe. But when your talking about development giants time and money constraints are very weak excuses.

No, I assure you it's the exact opposite. Investor and developer are not the same person in big productions, so the developers have to follow deadlines and budgets given by the person who grants the budget, regardless of their own opinions and wishes.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Graphics are just the icing on the cake. Good graphics can make good games better but a bad game is still ass no matter how pretty it looks.
Srbanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Srbanator
Member since 2006 • 790 Posts
As two have already said, style matters much more to me than graphics. I play a lot of old games that I missed out on when I was young. Now that I have the money to get them, I play them and enjoy them without even blinking an eye at how how outdated the graphics might be. I almost laughed when I heard somewhere that Bioshock 2's system was beginning to show its age... Are you kidding? I can't help but gawk at the beauty of Bioshock 1, not two! The game has a style that lets you know you are in an abandoned underwater Utopia. To say that Rapture is anything less than a piece of art is an insult.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I think graphics are important, otherwise I would be reading a book... Now, do I care that the graphics are marginally better that the rest of the stuff out there? no probably not. People keep telling me "you have to see this game, it's got amazing graphics!" which I usually reply with, "so, is it fun to play though? I can go outside and see amazing 3D graphics..."
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#16 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I really don't care.

There are so many more important aspects of a game, but pretty much all the focus seems to go on graphics. I hate that.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#17 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Considering I'm a retro gamer, I don't care much about graphics. But even then while reviewing a game, I still take graphics into consideration whether or not I can tell if something's what it's supposed to be or not.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
[QUOTE="RBerry82"][QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Graphics can't make a bad game good. But not only are graphics an important aspect of the gaming experience, it is also laziness for a developer to make a game that shines in every aspect but the graphics. If the technology is available use it to the fullest. Why would anyone want developers not to do their very best in every aspect possible?Diablo-B

Call it what you want, but publishers often push for games to be out before a certain date, or are unwilling to give the money or resources needed on a project they deem too risky. It's business, not laziness.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#19 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Personally I don't care about graphics but if your writing a review you want to put it in for people who do care about it.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

How many gamers out there think that graphics are not very important when reviewing a game?Dorby5826and360

When reviewing a game? Graphics are very important. If you attached a poll to this thread and asked people whether they thought graphics were essential for a game, irrelevant or they couldn't care I reckon you'd have about a 50/50 split. There are plenty of readers out there who love pretty graphics and decent sound. Therefore, when reviewing a game, it's worth mentioning.

If graphics weren't important to a decent swab of purchasers then movies like Transformers and the 3rd Spiderman movie wouldn't sell.

To my opinion. I think graphics are an essential tool in creating an immersive atmosphere to further involve the gamer in the game they are playing. Same as music, voice acting, story telling and presentation. That said the most important factor in any game has to be the game play. Without decent gameplay all you have is pretty effects. Some of my favorite games still don't have fantastic graphics but they use what's available to create an experience that draws me in and makes me pay attention to a story. To be honest if a game had terrible graphics I probably wouldn't pick it up to play, unless it had some killer reviews.

Somy answer is I think they're very important when reviewing a game but less importnat when evaluating a game for personal play.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Believe me, the more I play, the more I feel graphics are important. But it depends on how the developers use the visuals, which is why the best games have the best art direction, atmosphere, visuals, graphics, etc.
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

i think for me its more enviroment than graphics

like when i came out from that bunker next to the washington memorial in modern warfare 2, that was amazing

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Well, it depends on the game. Tetris, I couldn't care less about the graphics.....they are there purely for functionality, nothing more. I recently started to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the PC, now that I have a rig capable of running it. I began without any mods, then decided to install the complete 2009 mod pack which pretty much overhauled all the textures, added new particle effects, and so on. I must say, it's much more enjoyable with the new visual facelift (it's a '07 title and has aged poorly), as the atmosphere it creates is one of the main draws. Without it, it wouldn't be nearly as good.

So yea, it's all dependant on the game.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Graphics are certainly important, and I do care about them. But I care about how fun a game is more than how good it looks.

eh-ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eh-ut
Member since 2009 • 563 Posts
I cared about it. Because graphic is one of the main element of video game.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Visuals are important in a game, but gameplay, replay and sound design comes first imo, if we didn't care about graphics then we would still be playing NES and Atari games.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
To me graphics are somewhat important. I want them to be good in order to suit the game, not being amazing graphics, but much the game. Eg: borderlands would have been better wtihout those art graphics, they simply dont much the game.

I think we all appreciate good graphics, but for some people, like myself, they hardly make a mediocre game good or an new game better than an older one.

F.e. Fallout 3 is a joke compared to Fallout 2, graphics are not going to change that.

wide_ocean
Not true, it has many things that fallout 2 did not. So perhaps fallout 2 is better but fallout 3 is definetly better than fallout or fallout tactics. Atleast for me. What caused that? The graphics or the actual game? Ask yourself that.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Graphics add NOTHING for me as of late. In fact, I almost want to say that the more graphics evolve, the more I feel like I'm forced to hold unto a rope the whole way through a given game.

Avatar image for Dorby5826and360
Dorby5826and360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Dorby5826and360
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts

I agree the graphics are there to make a game look interesting, but I still will review a game mainly on gameplay and story, depending on the games focus.

Evilmeanie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Evilmeanie
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

I have gotten to the point where if a game does not feature widescreen support or optionally fails to play in a window, it is not getting played. Aspect ratio's that are off really bug me and swapping out monitors is not gonna happen.

A yeah, that is a function of graphics, just not quite what the OP had in mind.

EM

lewisoba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 lewisoba
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Dorby5826and360,your pic has reminded me that games like Borderlands,Crackdown, and WET's graphical style's are very nice, but are sometimes used too cover rough edges, so as long as there's some artistic factors,then graphics might count towards the gameplay experiences....
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

I do not want a game with bad graphics. If I get a game with good gameplay and good graphics, I am happy. If I get a game with great gameplay and good graphics, I am very happy. If I get a game with great gameplay and great graphics, I am estatic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

The focus of graphics often times gets in the way of the gameplay. That is the main problem. To put things in perspective, lets bring up tetris. The graphics do their job. The gameplay has been drilled into society so much so that, if the game didn't play properly, it would be noticeable by almost everyone. So, let's say the next iteration was some super high resolution-pieces are made out of polygons-elaborate backgrounds-hardware taxing sort of game, which in turn created stutters in the core gameplay. I don't think anybody would choose to play that version.

I remember being impressed by the visuals of the first Uncharted game. I like and enjoyed the game. However, there were so many bugs and glitches in respect to how the character would get stuck on the environment--sometimes to the point where the game would crash. Just the thought of knowing that your game could crash at any time takes away from the experience imo.

CheatAgent101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CheatAgent101
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
nope, i would rather play a great game with bad graphics then awesome graphics with a game that sucks
DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

Graphics are very important if you ask me. Especially in games with a story. You can get away with some graphical hitches in sports games if the gameplay is top notch but for games like Final Fantasy and Heavy Rain the graphics have to be there. If I didn't really care about graphics I wouldn't really play video games instead opting for reading a book. When you can look around at a world and really take it in, it makes you feel like you're there.

Then again I disliked Killzone 2 but that game did itself in with the horrible story and clunky controls. I think I can usually deal with 2 out of 3 but 1 out of 3 isn't going to cut it (graphics, story, gameplay).

By the same token I absolutely enjoyed Silent Hill Shattered Memories for PS2. Obviously the graphics were poor by todays standards, heck they were clearly outmatched by their Wii counterpart. However the gameplay and story were top notch (again 2 out of 3), and it's not like the graphics were that bad either, just that at this point they're a little outdated.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
I think graphics are important to a game in the sense that it adds to the overall presentation of a game. Now saying that, I do not think graphics are the be-all-end-all of a game like many gamers do. I would much rather play an amazing game with sub-par graphics as opposed to a game with mind-blowing graphics with sub-par gameplay. I do think that graphics for any title should reflect the game's overall visual art style and whatever the hardware is capable of handling.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Given that human beings are visual animals and that the primary method of delivering a video game is visually, I don't understand how anyone could "not care" about a game's graphics.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chickan_117

Visuals are important in a game, but gameplay, replay and sound design comes first imo, if we didn't care about graphics then we would still be playing NES and Atari games.wizdom

Check out my now playing list. There's Final Fantasy 13, Dante's Inferno and Super MArio World on SNES :)

To me graphics are somewhat important. I want them to be good in order to suit the game, not being amazing graphics, but much the game. Eg: borderlands would have been better wtihout those art graphics, they simply dont much the game. dakan45

Really? I think they match the game perfectly. It was one of the reasons I was interested in the game in the first place. Same as the 2008 Prince of Persia and XIII

Graphics add NOTHING for me as of late. In fact, I almost want to say that the more graphics evolve, the more I feel like I'm forced to hold unto a rope the whole way through a given game.

Heirren

You're playing the wrong games then :)

That said I do agree with you a little. The computer gaming industry hasgrown greatly in the past 10 years or so and the story telling aspect of games is infinitely more important now. Take a look at Dante's Inferno. Great cinematics, great in game graphics, excellent environments...but the gameplay is very straightforward and the levels very linear. Almost like, as you say, they've spent all their development time on the graphics and cinematics to the detriment of gameplay and versatility.Suits me as I had a great time playing it but it does reinforce your point. Another good example would be FF13. From whta I've heard they've taken away a great deal of the exploration and "openess" taht made the games great and gone with a more linear style to complement strong storytelling. Can't offer an opinion myself as I'm only an hour in but it does seem to

Imagine if Mario Bros came out today with the story of, Princess gets captured, go to castle 1, beat bowser kid, she's not there, got to castle 2....oh wait w have that don't we :)

Whether we like it or not we are a media crazy society now and most people's expectations regarding graphics has grown to the point where games with a poor appearance just won't get played. It's good as stuff like that keep JAmes Cameron making bucketloads of cash prettying up already told stories (Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his work but you have to admit the stories he tells aren't fresh :) )

txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

Not at all. I've been playing many titles I;ve missed out on NES/SNES and they are extremely addicting.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Really? I think they match the game perfectly. It was one of the reasons I was interested in the game in the first place. Same as the 2008 Prince of Persia and XIIIChickan_117
Well when you start the game and get to the main menu. You hear a sad music that fits the desolation element and not a fun song like the game intro or the trailer. Basicly the game was in development for years as a sci fi fps with wastelands and next gen sci fi weapons. After 5 years of development. Some of the art directors show the CEO some cellshaded models and the decided to tweak the graphics and models to make it more funny rather a serious violent game. They add the little robot, made the character models funnier and they add the damage number indicators when you hit something. Thats one of the reasons i started to loose interest in the game. But i have to say the game is still fun. I would just prefer to have actual graphics rather handrawn. A sci fi fps taking place in wastelands? Meh, also it has poor art direction, the colors you see are few and too muddy. On the other hand prince or persia and xiii had beter art direction. That what i mean it does not much the game.
redmangoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 redmangoose
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts

I believe graphics do play an important part in games.

But despite that, I will always value story, music and enviroment over it.

wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wide_ocean

To me graphics are somewhat important. I want them to be good in order to suit the game, not being amazing graphics, but much the game. Eg: borderlands would have been better wtihout those art graphics, they simply dont much the game. [QUOTE="wide_ocean"]

dakan45

Not true, it has many things that fallout 2 did not. So perhaps fallout 2 is better but fallout 3 is definetly better than fallout or fallout tactics. Atleast for me. What caused that? The graphics or the actual game? Ask yourself that.

Fallout 2 is the deepest RPG game of the whole series. I felt that Fallout 3 was too combat focused. Fallout 2 had a better hand to hand combat system, a better targetting system (groin/eye, kicks/shots) a better skill system (non combat skills were implemented much deeper than just hacking computers or picking locks, many quests involved no combat at all). Fallout 2 had lots of details that made you feel much more involved in the surrounding (prizefighting, affiliation with different organized crime families etc.)

The things that Fallout 3 has and Fallout 2 has not can't compensate that, neither can visuals. At least for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Chickan_117

You're playing the wrong games then :)

That said I do agree with you a little. The computer gaming industry hasgrown greatly in the past 10 years or so and the story telling aspect of games is infinitely more important now. Take a look at Dante's Inferno. Great cinematics, great in game graphics, excellent environments...but the gameplay is very straightforward and the levels very linear. Almost like, as you say, they've spent all their development time on the graphics and cinematics to the detriment of gameplay and versatility.Suits me as I had a great time playing it but it does reinforce your point. Another good example would be FF13. From whta I've heard they've taken away a great deal of the exploration and "openess" taht made the games great and gone with a more linear style to complement strong storytelling. Can't offer an opinion myself as I'm only an hour in but it does seem to

Imagine if Mario Bros came out today with the story of, Princess gets captured, go to castle 1, beat bowser kid, she's not there, got to castle 2....oh wait w have that don't we :)

Whether we like it or not we are a media crazy society now and most people's expectations regarding graphics has grown to the point where games with a poor appearance just won't get played. It's good as stuff like that keep JAmes Cameron making bucketloads of cash prettying up already told stories (Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his work but you have to admit the stories he tells aren't fresh :) )

Too many of the hobbys kids and teens have revolve around the computer. Thats the problem. Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, Streaming Netflix, and even the phones they use these days stress almost all of those. Far too much time is spent on a material device--it's quite sad, imo. So I would say that the biggest problem, is the lack of IMAGINATION. I was estatic about Mario Bros. Same with A Link To The Past. The evolution of graphics as really added nothing to the younger gamer. I say this because when I see younger kids play games, they don't talk about the graphics or technical sides of things. It's the same kind of excitement I had when playing those older nes/snes games--more about the character and making that character do what you wanted it too. The story of todays games, while good in their own right I guess, detract from that attachement the player can get when playing a game. If the character is very detailed and fleshed out--especially in regards as to what he/she is about--there's not question that this doesn't let the player become more engulfed in the game, at least in a manner of speaking. If you look at whats popular now, it seems to be things along the lines of Pokemon/anime/etc--Simple design, where the goal is broad and leaves room for the player to fill in the gaps with things that the game/music/design INSPIRE them to think up.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#44 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

I don't care about graphics any game can have good graphics then it can have bad camera angles which makes the game more harder to play and sometimes unplayable. The gameplay, controls and the camera angles are most important to any game I think

Open_Sights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 Open_Sights
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

For me, not important at all.

But, in a review, as it should be focused in a broad section of game players, it should be very important, varying with the genre.In a FPS, for example, it should be the most important aspect, since it's the first thing the majority os the fans of genre look, on the other hand in managerial simulator, it should be much less important, just something to write a few lines about and add, or take away a few points if it is really good or bad.

And about fallout, in my humble opinion,

fallout 1 = astonishing creative, a true classic

fallout 2 = one of the greatest games of all times

fallout 3 = a good game, but with the bitter taste of deception

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#46 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I don't factor it into the score unless it does two things:

1) It actually hinders the gameplay, i.e. enemies are hard to see, mission goals are hard to recognize etc.

2) It greatly, greatly enhances the experience, mostly in games that aim for a cinematic approach like Heavy Rain

Otherwise, I don't care much for it. It's a pretty face, but it's the gameplay that matters. I often like artistic direction more than just shiny, realistic graphics. Examples of that are Eternal Sonata, Okami and Braid. Of course, if a game has great or bad graphics, I point it out in my reviews, but that is more to show the technical aspects of the game, and there are some that value that highly. To me, though, graphics aren't all that important. Good to have? Yes. Necessary? To me, no.

Xorital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Xorital
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

I still play GC,N64 and SNES and PS1 games, so no. Graphics dont mean anything to me.

gingefails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#48 gingefails
Member since 2009 • 997 Posts

A tricky question.

If I know that a game is old, then I am under no illusion that the graphics are going to be poor.Therefore I never really take them in to consideration.

If I pick up a game these days then yes, I do expect very good graphics. The hardware these days is spectacular (and now with the release of DX11 capable cards, yummy) and so I expect devs to fully utilise everything they can. Plus, for newly released titles that cost £40 a shot then I expect graphics to match the price tag. However, I'd never slate a game just because it had a few mushy textures or a few cases of clipping - I'm fairly tolerant.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#49 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Ever try to play split screen on a game with low resolution textures and sprites and stuff? Awful. Graphics make the experience for me more enjoyable for one, but sometimes end up influencing the quality of your game play.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chickan_117

For me, not important at all.

But, in a review, as it should be focused in a broad section of game players, it should be very important, varying with the genre.In a FPS, for example, it should be the most important aspect, since it's the first thing the majority os the fans of genre look, on the other hand in managerial simulator, it should be much less important, just something to write a few lines about and add, or take away a few points if it is really good or bad.

And about fallout, in my humble opinion,

fallout 1 = astonishing creative, a true classic

fallout 2 = one of the greatest games of all times

fallout 3 = a good game, but with the bitter taste of deception

Open_Sights

You're right but which of the three sold the best though? That's why crap like Sony's Arc and MS Natal are being introduced. Reviews are written for the larger commercial market and therefore graphics will always be important as most paying consumers prize it above gameplay.

Just to throw this point out there. Let's not forget that graphical improvements allow the right companies to create better games in some instances. If there was never a drive for improved graphics we may not have made the move to usable 3D environments. Graphics, when done properly, canallow a better game experience by better navigation thru a world.

If graphics weren't important, as someone said above, everyone would still be playing older games. That said if graphics are important then why is the new Super Mario Bros game the best selling game of all time? And explain to me how Megaman 10 is so popular. I guess, to be fair, they have an immense fan base and a new game with similar graphical styling may not be so succesful but anyway...