Which has aged better? Early 3D games or Early 2D games?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
Another old skool legacy discussion right here. Comparing Early 2D games to Early 3D games is something that is not discussed very often. Usually when a group talks about early 3D games they compare them to 4th or 5th generation 2D games were the sprites are sharp, and colors are clear, and its appealing to the eye. But what about early 2D games being compared to Early 3D games? Mostly 2D games below 4th generation. Bug:  Pitfall:  Ultima ii::  CyberMorph:  Final Fantasy:  Final Fantasy 7:
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jakandsigz
To me, it depends on the Genre. For First-Person games, I would lean more toward early 3d 3D, as early 2d First-Person games look pretty damn bad. But for something like Fighting games or shooting games, i would prefer early 3D to early 2D.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

ps1 generation and early 3d are the ugliest set of graphics since the atari days. i think 16 but games aged really well

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Early 2d games don't look "good" but they have some charm to them that I can't really explain. Early 3d graphics just look awful most of the time.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I really think only the very early forms of both have issues, mainly 2D from the late 70s, or early 3D from the late 80s or very early 90s.

at that point, the games just tend to be basic looking, and in the case of the 3D games, they usually had a terrible frame rate.

I have no issues with mid-late 90s 3D though.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jakandsigz

I really think only the very early forms of both have issues, mainly 2D from the late 70s, or early 3D from the late 80s or very early 90s.

at that point, the games just tend to be basic looking, and in the case of the 3D games, they usually had a terrible frame rate.

Darkman2007
By Mid-90's you mean early Saturn and PSX 3D?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Jakandsigz
By Mid-90's you mean early Saturn and PSX 3D?

more or less.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
I think it depends on the game, and your preference. Some of the 2d examples you (the OP) used are too old for my tastes. For me, I'll take art style over technical proficiency any day. For example, look at Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the psx, and then look at psx 3d games of that era. While the 3d games are good (considering), I personally like the look of SFA2 more, and think it has held over better. That's just what I like though.
Exodus87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Exodus87
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
In terms of Nintendo I think the obvious answer is 2D has aged better. I can play NES and SNES as if it's still the 90's. N64 on the other hand...blurry textures, poor controls and blocky characters and environments make it harder to enjoy. Still one of my favorite systems of all time though.
Exodus87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Exodus87
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
And if you want to see some BAD early 3D gaming go watch just about ANY game on the Jaguar.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Better early 3D game- Star Wars the Arcade Game
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

And if you want to see some BAD early 3D gaming go watch just about ANY game on the Jaguar. Exodus87

there's some pretty good atari jaguar games actually. I'd love to own one

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
I say it varies game to game. Both are fun, but early 3D games has aged more better.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Oh. My. GOD! You listed BUG! I used to love the ever f*cking SH!T out of that game!
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Honestly games don't age at all. Expectations increase, and memories help make games better than they might have otherwise been.

At the same time, I find myself going back to NES, SNES and Sega Genesis games more often than the majority of PlayStation games I enjoyed.

Edit: One example of that is when I can go back and replay a few levels here and there of Bubsy on SNES, while playing Bubsy 3D's first level one time was enough that I don't really need to play it ever again :)   

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 El_Zo1212o

Honestly games don't age at all. Expectations increase, and memories help make games better than they might have otherwise been.

At the same time, I find myself going back to NES, SNES and Sega Genesis games more often than the majority of PlayStation games I enjoyed.

Edit: One example of that is when I can go back and replay a few levels here and there of Bubsy on SNES, while playing Bubsy 3D's first level one time was enough that I don't really need to play it ever again :)   

Stinger78
I think it's more than that. As industry standards evolve, they leave obsolescence in their wake. In short, we get used to a better way of playing games, which makes playing older games more difficult/less enjoyable than they were when new. In that way, games do very much 'age'.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Overall, as far as pure graphics go, 2D has aged far, far better, especially 16 bit games, many of which still look drop dead gorgeous.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Stinger78"]

El_Zo1212o

I think it's more than that. As industry standards evolve, they leave obsolescence in their wake. In short, we get used to a better way of playing games, which makes playing older games more difficult/less enjoyable than they were when new. In that way, games do very much 'age'.

Whuile I definitely agree with what you're saying, I think it really comes down to the game... For instance, when I first played the Chrono trigger port on DS back in 2009, it felt as rgeat as any modern game could hope to be.  Meanwhile, I'm playing the original Dragon Warrior and, while I enjoy it a lot, there are quite a few dated features to it (such as only being able to hard save in one town... ugh).  so really, what you're asying only applies depending on the game that is in question.

Goldflower1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Goldflower1234
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

All PS1 and Saturn 3d games are virtually UNPLAYABLE. Believe me, it looks even worse in motion. Moving polygons, flickering and so on. I don't even touch those consoles because the graphics are so horrible.

medal_of_honor_2_02.jpg

pd-1.jpg

It took until N64 and 3dfx for acceptable graphics in my opinion.

gfs_49467_2_7.jpg

nolf2pic4.jpg

Man, that gap was so huge. Thank you Nintendo and PC. Both saved 3d gaming for me.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jakandsigz
And if you want to see some BAD early 3D gaming go watch just about ANY game on the Jaguar. Exodus87
Jaguar 3D is not that far off of a few early N64 games and in some cases loke more appealing then early PSX 3D games due to the fact that the jaguar does not have the same polygon and wrapping problems as the PSX.
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jakandsigz

Overall, as far as pure graphics go, 2D has aged far, far better, especially 16 bit games, many of which still look drop dead gorgeous.

turtlethetaffer
4th generation graphics are not early 2d.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]

turtlethetaffer

Whuile I definitely agree with what you're saying, I think it really comes down to the game... For instance, when I first played the Chrono trigger port on DS back in 2009, it felt as rgeat as any modern game could hope to be.  Meanwhile, I'm playing the original Dragon Warrior and, while I enjoy it a lot, there are quite a few dated features to it (such as only being able to hard save in one town... ugh).  so really, what you're asying only applies depending on the game that is in question.

I was actually referring to the 'early 3D games' part of the topic- 2D games never go out of style. @Goldflower: That is a dude holding a gun on a ninja in a trailerpark during a tornado. What in God's name is that game???
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Jakandsigz

So?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#24 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="Exodus87"]And if you want to see some BAD early 3D gaming go watch just about ANY game on the Jaguar. rilpas

there's some pretty good atari jaguar games actually. I'd love to own one

I am so very glad I've hung onto the Jaguar throughout the years, as you are correct there are some good games.

But there's no denying the graphics are pretty bad most times. Which I think adds to the charm, naturally.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Depends how early is "early"...

It also depends on platform, since "early" arcade games were, graphically, years ahead of home systems back then.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

So?

Do you need glasses?
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jakandsigz

It also depends on platform, since "early" arcade games were, graphically, years ahead of home systems back then.

Jag85
As stated, before fourth for 2D, and early 3D is automatic.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

2D wins out.  It depends on what you mean by early 2D.  I would rather play early NES and SNES games than play early PlayStation and N64 games.  Games like Mario Bros 1, Mario World, Castlevania 4, and F-Zero still have a certain charm that Warhawk, Assault Rigs, Battle Arena Toshiden, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire do not have. 

ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts
I have to posit that 2d is the only correct answer, if only because of the medium of 2d graphics. Pixel art is actually an art genre, and thus has an everlasting intrinsic value as art. 3d graphics will always age worse because of the nature of 3d games. The technology behind crafting 3d graphics will continue to make old technology look dated. On the other hand, pixel art doesn't evolve in the same manner. There's only good pixel art and bad pixel art. For 3d graphics, you have the added factor of the technology is good or the tech is bad that hinders the ability for 3d games to remain as beautiful over time. You will definitely see crude pixel art graphics on limited hardware, but artistically speaking, even on limited hardware, the pixel art techniques are still employed, just less is able to be done with the restrictions. In actuality, when it comes to pixel art (an art that thrives on restrictions), you'll often find that pixel art on restricted technology is actually better because of the restrictions imposed.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"] 4th generation graphics are not early 2d.Jakandsigz

So?

Do you need glasses?

I answered your question buddy. Might be you who needed glasses. I said 2D aged far. far better, then mentioned that the 16 bit games age especially well. But it still applies to early 2D.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jag85  Online
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jakandsigz

What's "early 3D is automatic" supposed to mean? And "before fourth" only applies to consoles. What about arcades and computers?
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Depends on what era of "early 3D" you mean. The age of Star Fox and Virtua Fighting or the age of Super Mario 64 and beyond. But even then a lot of early 3D games are clunky and frustrating.

Early 2D for sure have aged better. Even the earliest of 2D games like Pac-man and PONG are still really fun to pick up every now and then, while games like Virtua Racing are frustrating to play today when compared to other games just a few years later.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Early 3D does have its own charms in certain games, but early 2D is timeless.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jakandsigz
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

What's "early 3D is automatic" supposed to mean? And "before fourth" only applies to consoles. What about arcades and computers?

The Op clearly uses generations so where did arcades and computers come from? The Ultima II pick is not even the PC version. For 3D, it's obivous what most people will associate it with, nobody on this websites is going to go much further than the early 90's. I learned that before.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jag85  Online
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Jakandsigz"] As stated, before fourth for 2D, and early 3D is automatic.

The Op clearly uses generations so where did arcades and computers come from? The Ultima II pick is not even the PC version. For 3D, it's obivous what most people will associate it with, nobody on this websites is going to go much further than the early 90's. I learned that before.

Why are you referring to yourself in the third-person? You are the OP... And by the way, when was there a console version of Ultima II?
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
I think it depends on the game, and your preference. Some of the 2d examples you (the OP) used are too old for my tastes. For me, I'll take art style over technical proficiency any day. For example, look at Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the psx, and then look at psx 3d games of that era. While the 3d games are good (considering), I personally like the look of SFA2 more, and think it has held over better. That's just what I like though. AtelierFan
Well said. Petty much agree.
Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

It depends on the games... some still look just like they did when they first came out, others... well they look like horse shit playing them today.

Take a look at the first MYST game that came out in 1993 - I'm not shitting you:

myst_4.jpg

Not gonna lie, these are all pre-renderd images... so what? It was still years ahead of its time.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I like both, as long as I consider them fun or interesting.

Early 2D games are basic, both, in gameplay and visuals but games like Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, ect. are timeless classics.

Early 3D games are also basic-looking, but I still find games like Virtua Racing, F1 Grand Prix, X-Wing, Star Fox, Hard Drivin, ect. to be either amusing or interesting.

The 3D polygon look actually had a charm of it's own, imo.

But I must add that early 3D games had problems with things like framerates, draw-distances and pixelation tho. (for example Hard Drivin is near unplaylable on Sega Genesis because it's so slow - 3D games got acceptable framerates once dedicated 3D chips became viable)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jag85  Online

It depends on the games... some still look just like they did when they first came out, others... well they look like horse shit playing them today.

Take a look at the first MYST game that came out in 1993 - I'm not shitting you:

myst_4.jpg

Not gonna lie, these are all pre-renderd images... so what? It was still years ahead of its time.

Metallic_Blade

If you were gaming at the arcades in 1993, you'd have found actual real-time 3D graphics almost approaching that kind of quality...

Daytona USA

Daytona05.jpg

Namco Magic Edge Hornet Simulator

magicedge.jpg

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nameless12345

^ don't forget early vector-graphics 3D arcade games:

edit: looks like embedded doesn't work anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_gg7geX_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdxsiYuuQA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXyRp3yVV5w

willtsherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 willtsherman
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts

superman64.jpg Look at these beautiful graphics. This superb art design as well as tight controls proves that early 2D gaming aged worse than this masterpiece.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85  Online

nameless12345

I think vector graphics is a bit too early...

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Think the really early 2D stuff from the 70s is more playable than the early 3D games as they typically had horrid framerates.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Jag85

Well I like the look of arcade vector 3D games.

Vectrex games look cool to me too.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Usually when people talk about 3D games, they mean 3D polygon graphics, not the vector graphics or sprite-scaling effects they used before that.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

Usually when people talk about 3D games, they mean 3D polygon graphics, not the vector graphics or sprite-scaling effects they used before that.

Vectors, polygons, voxels, ect. are all 3D graphics as far as I'm concerned.

All graphics are 2D really, 3D is just an illusion created by adding the Z-axis.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

All graphics are 2D really, 3D is just an illusion created by adding the Z-axis.

But then, you could say the same thing about sprite-scaling.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Usually when people talk about 3D games, they mean 3D polygon graphics, not the vector graphics or sprite-scaling effects they used before that.Jag85

But then, you could say the same thing about sprite-scaling.

Sprite-scaling is. indeed, a form of 3D graphics too.

It's simply that the viewed object can't be seen from each side hence we use the term "pseudo 3D".

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I can handle both as long as the game is fun.

I know these aren't the earliest, but comparing N64 games to SNES games is like night and day to me.  I find the 2D graphics on the SNES beautiful while I find the graphics for 3D games on the N64 to be very ugly a lot of the time. 

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Some 80's early 3D polygon PC games.

STAR CRUISER

?plugin=ref&serial=1923

WIBARM