Which games suck butt if you aren't playing hard-mode?

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (34401 posts) -

So I've been playing Blacklist on perfectionist, and as an experiment turned it down to the lowest setting, and it's basically barely a stealth game anymore. Players can see through walls, use refillable insta-kill mark and executes like Conviction and enemies sight because limited to a blind man with a cane. It's like Assassins Creed where it's barely a game. But fantastic on the higher difficulty setting, barring some dumb modern shit.

Resident Evil 2's remake also changes dramatically if you are playing on the lower setting, it becomes a shooter where item and enemy management is non-existent.

-

What other games come to mind that change the nature of the game depending on the difficulty chosen.

Avatar image for judaspete
#2 Posted by judaspete (3073 posts) -

I'm a beta who plays most videogames on Normal.

Avatar image for bussinrounds
#3 Edited by bussinrounds (3165 posts) -

The AAA/modern stuff pretty much needs to be played on hard, as challenge/difficulty has taken a nosedive in general over the years.....so their hard is like normal...normal is like easy, ect...

Avatar image for warmblur
#4 Edited by warmblur (2814 posts) -

I like to play games on normal mode but the closest answer I can give you is Battlefield's MP mode. The series played much better when it wasn't copying COD back when BF didn't have regenerating health, grenade indicators, focus on infantry. IMO BF was best when it was slower pace with a focus on teamwork and vehicles Battlefield 2 is the prime example of this. It would definitely count as hard mode these days and honestly I could see modern BF players complain about the difficultly since the series went casual with the Bad Company games and up to the present I'm sure most of them never even played Battlefield 2.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (28411 posts) -

None that I can think of. I typically play most of my games on Normal for the first play through. Sometimes I’ll play them on Hard but I also enjoy playing them on Easy sometimes as well. Sometimes I just like to relax, coast through the game, and enjoy the ride.

Avatar image for npiet1
#6 Posted by npiet1 (2481 posts) -

@bussinrounds said:

The AAA/modern stuff pretty much needs to be played on hard, as challenge/difficulty has taken a nosedive in general over the years.....so their hard is like normal...normal is like easy, ect...

I've noticed that too. I thought I was just getting better until playing some older games.

Avatar image for nepu7supastar7
#7 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5152 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

All the Batman Arkham games are baby easy if you put any setting below hard. Same thing with Spiderman ps4 and the old Tomb Raider games on ps3/360.

Avatar image for davillain-
#8 Posted by DaVillain- (37581 posts) -

@npiet1 said:
@bussinrounds said:

The AAA/modern stuff pretty much needs to be played on hard, as challenge/difficulty has taken a nosedive in general over the years.....so their hard is like normal...normal is like easy, ect...

I've noticed that too. I thought I was just getting better until playing some older games.

LOL not even close you guys. I feel the opposite cause I remember AAA God of War was hard for me due to the Valkyrie battles I did.

Also, I always play on Normal cause I'm here for the gameplay experience and story and once I done that, I'll replay the game with a different setting if I must.

Avatar image for Ross_the_Boss6
#9 Posted by Ross_the_Boss6 (3964 posts) -

Witcher 3 comes to mind. The game already feels pretty easy on Death March, but there’s absolutely no point in using potions/oils/decoctions if playing on normal. To me that’s part of the fun.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#10 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21581 posts) -
@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Witcher 3 comes to mind. The game already feels pretty easy on Death March, but there’s absolutely no point in using potions/oils/decoctions if playing on normal. To me that’s part of the fun.

This. I never had to use a potion in Witcher 2 or 3 playing them on normal.

Avatar image for npiet1
#11 Edited by npiet1 (2481 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@npiet1 said:
@bussinrounds said:

The AAA/modern stuff pretty much needs to be played on hard, as challenge/difficulty has taken a nosedive in general over the years.....so their hard is like normal...normal is like easy, ect...

I've noticed that too. I thought I was just getting better until playing some older games.

LOL not even close you guys. I feel the opposite cause I remember AAA God of War was hard for me due to the Valkyrie battles I did.

Also, I always play on Normal cause I'm here for the gameplay experience and story and once I done that, I'll replay the game with a different setting if I must.

IMO they weren't to much trouble on normal. Hard they took me a while.

Avatar image for Yams1980
#12 Posted by Yams1980 (3569 posts) -

Civilization 5, i find the game really boring if played on too low of difficulty.

But its a tough balance sometimes to find since sometimes they'll start you right next to some aggressive enemies and you won't be able to outbuild with the cheats the AI uses in difficulties above normal (prince difficulty).

For a mild easier play i sometimes pick King difficulty which is 1 above normal (prince). The AI cheats slightly. It can sometimes be challenging at the start but when you get a foothold it usually is a bit too easy.

Most of the time I play Emperor which is 2 above normal, the AI cheats a lot more here with faster building, less maintenance, lower happiness penalties, more starting tech etc. I won't go above Emperor though, its too much of a grind and the AI cheats crazy.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
#13 Edited by RSM-HQ (8542 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Resident Evil 2's remake also changes dramatically if you are playing on the lower setting, it becomes a shooter where item and enemy management is non-existent.

While I too started on Hardcore mode, beating it also. Think it depends how much one was already invested in these kind of games, or better yet, the Resi series itself. We have to look at it from a complete demographic and not solely Veteran Gamers.

Seeing as here on the forums we saw people who's only experience with the series being 5 onwards made complaints the game was too poorly balanced and ran out of ammo, claiming progress was "impossible".

So for Resident Evil 2 I thought it was handled well. Those who have played most the titles and know the rhythm of third person survival horror are well equipped to handle Hardcore mode. Those that play 'bro shooters' like Gears of War and expect a similar experience, are going to have a hard time on normal. Let alone Hardcore.

As for the question itself. It's difficult to answer because I always go for the hardest option, given the option. Sometimes it's overwhelming at first, even straight up artificial difficulty, but means I have to learn how the game wants me to advance, which is usually my favorite way to play games. If someone isn't playing D:OSII on Honor mode? I don't understand how that can be entertaining (if you die your save file deletes itself)

Avatar image for Valkeerie
#14 Posted by Valkeerie (309 posts) -

Bare Knuckle III can be adjusted to be fun at the highest level. Streets of Rage 3 having done it for me almost killed it.

The original Metal Gear Solid is cool at the hardest difficulty due to no radar and without making me quit at the torture scene like MGS2.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#15 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21581 posts) -
@npiet1 said:
@davillain- said:

LOL not even close you guys. I feel the opposite cause I remember AAA God of War was hard for me due to the Valkyrie battles I did.

Also, I always play on Normal cause I'm here for the gameplay experience and story and once I done that, I'll replay the game with a different setting if I must.

IMO they weren't to much trouble on normal. Hard they took me a while.

The difficulty in God of War 2018 is almost entirely dependent on what equipment you are wearing, so it's going to vary massively from person to person. You can be underequipped and can technically still kill a purple bar valkyrie but it's going to feel much harder than if you were just one or two equip levels higher.

Avatar image for Macutchi
#16 Edited by Macutchi (6855 posts) -

crysis on delta. koreans talk korean. combat mechanics are stripped back to the nitty gritty. forces you to use all the suit powers and learn how to use all of your weapons. and if you do it right you end up like the predator and its awesome.

dishonored 2, particularly on new game+ when you can double or triple down on your runes and, with practice and experimentation, combine your powers for some super cool combos to keep you unseen or kill without an alarm being raised

Avatar image for cejay0813
#17 Edited by cejay0813 (1550 posts) -

Most shooters