Which games suck butt if you aren't playing hard-mode?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

So I've been playing Blacklist on perfectionist, and as an experiment turned it down to the lowest setting, and it's basically barely a stealth game anymore. Players can see through walls, use refillable insta-kill mark and executes like Conviction and enemies sight because limited to a blind man with a cane. It's like Assassins Creed where it's barely a game. But fantastic on the higher difficulty setting, barring some dumb modern shit.

Resident Evil 2's remake also changes dramatically if you are playing on the lower setting, it becomes a shooter where item and enemy management is non-existent.

-

What other games come to mind that change the nature of the game depending on the difficulty chosen.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I'm a beta who plays most videogames on Normal.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

The AAA/modern stuff pretty much needs to be played on hard, as challenge/difficulty has taken a nosedive in general over the years.....so their hard is like normal...normal is like easy, ect...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I like to play games on normal mode but the closest answer I can give you is Battlefield's MP mode. The series played much better when it wasn't copying COD back when BF didn't have regenerating health, grenade indicators, focus on infantry. IMO BF was best when it was slower pace with a focus on teamwork and vehicles Battlefield 2 is the prime example of this. It would definitely count as hard mode these days and honestly I could see modern BF players complain about the difficultly since the series went casual with the Bad Company games and up to the present I'm sure most of them never even played Battlefield 2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

None that I can think of. I typically play most of my games on Normal for the first play through. Sometimes I’ll play them on Hard but I also enjoy playing them on Easy sometimes as well. Sometimes I just like to relax, coast through the game, and enjoy the ride.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@bussinrounds said:

The AAA/modern stuff pretty much needs to be played on hard, as challenge/difficulty has taken a nosedive in general over the years.....so their hard is like normal...normal is like easy, ect...

I've noticed that too. I thought I was just getting better until playing some older games.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

All the Batman Arkham games are baby easy if you put any setting below hard. Same thing with Spiderman ps4 and the old Tomb Raider games on ps3/360.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56105 Posts

@npiet1 said:
@bussinrounds said:

I've noticed that too. I thought I was just getting better until playing some older games.

LOL not even close you guys. I feel the opposite cause I remember AAA God of War was hard for me due to the Valkyrie battles I did.

Also, I always play on Normal cause I'm here for the gameplay experience and story and once I done that, I'll replay the game with a different setting if I must.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Witcher 3 comes to mind. The game already feels pretty easy on Death March, but there’s absolutely no point in using potions/oils/decoctions if playing on normal. To me that’s part of the fun.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Witcher 3 comes to mind. The game already feels pretty easy on Death March, but there’s absolutely no point in using potions/oils/decoctions if playing on normal. To me that’s part of the fun.

This. I never had to use a potion in Witcher 2 or 3 playing them on normal.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@davillain- said:
@npiet1 said:
@bussinrounds said:

LOL not even close you guys. I feel the opposite cause I remember AAA God of War was hard for me due to the Valkyrie battles I did.

Also, I always play on Normal cause I'm here for the gameplay experience and story and once I done that, I'll replay the game with a different setting if I must.

IMO they weren't to much trouble on normal. Hard they took me a while.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Resident Evil 2's remake also changes dramatically if you are playing on the lower setting, it becomes a shooter where item and enemy management is non-existent.

While I too started on Hardcore mode, beating it also. Think it depends how much one was already invested in these kind of games, or better yet, the Resi series itself. We have to look at it from a complete demographic and not solely Veteran Gamers.

Seeing as here on the forums we saw people who's only experience with the series being 5 onwards made complaints the game was too poorly balanced and ran out of ammo, claiming progress was "impossible".

So for Resident Evil 2 I thought it was handled well. Those who have played most the titles and know the rhythm of third person survival horror are well equipped to handle Hardcore mode. Those that play 'bro shooters' like Gears of War and expect a similar experience, are going to have a hard time on normal. Let alone Hardcore.

As for the question itself. It's difficult to answer because I always go for the hardest option, given the option. Sometimes it's overwhelming at first, even straight up artificial difficulty, but means I have to learn how the game wants me to advance, which is usually my favorite way to play games. If someone isn't playing D:OSII on Honor mode? I don't understand how that can be entertaining (if you die your save file deletes itself)

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

Bare Knuckle III can be adjusted to be fun at the highest level. Streets of Rage 3 having done it for me almost killed it.

The original Metal Gear Solid is cool at the hardest difficulty due to no radar and without making me quit at the torture scene like MGS2.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
@npiet1 said:
@davillain- said:

IMO they weren't to much trouble on normal. Hard they took me a while.

The difficulty in God of War 2018 is almost entirely dependent on what equipment you are wearing, so it's going to vary massively from person to person. You can be underequipped and can technically still kill a purple bar valkyrie but it's going to feel much harder than if you were just one or two equip levels higher.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

crysis on delta. koreans talk korean. combat mechanics are stripped back to the nitty gritty. forces you to use all the suit powers and learn how to use all of your weapons. and if you do it right you end up like the predator and its awesome.

dishonored 2, particularly on new game+ when you can double or triple down on your runes and, with practice and experimentation, combine your powers for some super cool combos to keep you unseen or kill without an alarm being raised

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Most shooters