What's with interactive cut scenes that only use one button?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts

I really can't understand why some games have those "interactive cutscenes", like Resident Evil 4, but only use one button. Black Ops is a top offender of this one, they constantly have those stupid cut scenes where you just casually tap A to climb up a mountain, or just press A to complete a complicated action. Either make the button presses challenging, or let me just watch the freaking cut scene without having to pointlessly press a button every now and then. It seems like the only reason they have those in there is to make sure you pay attention... no challenge, no fun, just monotonous.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I don't like em in ME2. I thought it was annoying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I don't like the ones in GoldenEye either. I hate shaking the remote while it's in the Zapper

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

haha, its because the developers wanted to make it "interactive" so u press "A" to proceed. Its BS, its a sign of lack of intelligence

-Kaoru-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 -Kaoru-
Member since 2003 • 4471 Posts

I think your comment is argueable. Having in mind that it is somewhat interesting sometimes, most of the times they add interactive actions in cutscenes they are plain pointless and stupid.

I think it depends on the phase of the game. For example, in God of War, the interactive buttons are perfect. Some games can use it good and others...well, obviously not.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

I think your comment is argueable. Having in mind that it is somewhat interesting sometimes, most of the times they add interactive actions in cutscenes they are plain pointless and stupid.

I think it depends on the phase of the game. For example, in God of War, the interactive buttons are perfect. Some games can use it good and others...well, obviously not.

-Kaoru-
^ This.
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts

-Kaoru-
I'm not talking about good interactive cutscenes like in God of War or Resident Evil 4, I'm talking the ones that are COMPLETELY pointless, the ones that are so easy it's completely pointless for you to be pressing ANYTHING. My overall point is that these cutscenes should either be FULLY interactive in the sense that they are challenging and fun, rather than just have you mindlessly press or tap a button to complete the scene.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
You mean QTEs (quick time events)? They're meant to keep your attention. It kinda makes you feel like you're taking part in the action instead just watching the scene unfold.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
You mean QTEs (quick time events)? They're meant to keep your attention. It kinda makes you feel like you're taking part in the action instead just watching the scene unfold.JustPlainLucas
He doesn't, at least not this type of QTEs where you die if you aren't quick enough. He's talking about those useless scenes that stay still and everyone's just standing there looking stupid while you're prompted to press a button to make the charakter do something.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]You mean QTEs (quick time events)? They're meant to keep your attention. It kinda makes you feel like you're taking part in the action instead just watching the scene unfold.Reptylus
He doesn't, at least not this type of QTEs where you die if you aren't quick enough. He's talking about those useless scenes that stay still and everyone's just standing there looking stupid while you're prompted to press a button to make the charakter do something.

Yeah, I hated those events in Black Ops. I'd much rather just watch the cutscene or actually play the game.
magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts
I don't like em in ME2. I thought it was annoying.CoolSkAGuy
If you mean Mass Effect 2, I disagree.
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="CoolSkAGuy"]I don't like em in ME2. I thought it was annoying.magnusm1
If you mean Mass Effect 2, I disagree.

Yeah me too, it just made it more interesting because you never knew when there might come a chance to do something heroic/outrageous (Especially the renegade options were totally awesome sometimes, like [spoiler] slapping that annoying reporter when you return to the citadel [/spoiler]

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
well, developers have been working hard on the game and story for at least a couple years, it's only fair they make sure you pay attention to the story instead of skipping it or using the unskippable scenes as an excuse for a bathroom break, then complain afterwards that "it has no story", they're just making sure that you sit through their entire story
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

I don't like em in ME2. I thought it was annoying.CoolSkAGuy
do you mean like the paragon/renegade options ? I think those are actually pretty cool. In call of duty or resident evil where something pops up and says press A to dodge ! it's really quite lame. Nothing like it is in mass effect. Although thats what I thought the original poster meant too.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

RE4 had a really good interactive scene with Krauser, and RE5 with Wesker on the plane. I think it's best used when it's challenging and reflects upon needing quick reflexes.