What's the game that changed games this gen in your opinion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
On every system out there what was a game changer?
IC3_C0LD_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 IC3_C0LD_ZERO
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts
For PS3 i'd say Uncharted and GOW. Every action game nowadays seems to be set-piece and QTE heavy
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#3 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Bioshock and Uncharted

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

For better or worse, I'm gonna say CoD:MW and Gears of War.

And of course, the Wii as a whole.

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

CoD: MW

pretty much changed the FPS genre

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
Definitely Call of Duty Modern Warfare followed by Gears of War.
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Borrizee
Definitely Call of Duty Modern Warfare followed by Gears of War.Archangel3371
Most of he people are choosing shooters,nothing wrong with it but strange.
Bluski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bluski
Member since 2011 • 322 Posts

Gears of War in terms of 3rd person cover shooters. Rockstar never went this route until GTA IV when it was mindless shooting getting fired at all directions in San andreas. Mass Effect is the same too with jumping over cover to get on the next platform and such.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Most of he people are choosing shooters,nothing wrong with it but strange. Borrizee

Well, this is the genre that really took off this generation and is probably the most saturated.

There is no revolutionary racer, RPG, or action/adventure game that I can think of that changed the genre this generation. Not that there aren't excellent games, just none that changed how other developers approached the same type of games.

With CoD we got the leveling system, prestige levels, kill streaks, etc...

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Borrizee

[QUOTE="Borrizee"] Most of he people are choosing shooters,nothing wrong with it but strange. Grieverr

Well, this is the genre that really took off this generation and is probably the most saturated.

There is no revolutionary racer, RPG, or action/adventure game that I can think of that changed the genre this generation. Not that there aren't excellent games, just none that changed how other developers approached the same type of games.

With CoD we got the leveling system, prestige levels, kill streaks, etc...

If you put it that way I totally agree. I only play shooters with my wife,we like co-op. but I prefer more story drivin games and RPGs,that's why i found it strange.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
in terms of influence, i'd go with braid. yeah, it was the vanguard for puzzle platformers this generation, but it was also important for smaller games getting a chance on consoles (that is, a mass audience) through digital distribution.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
call of duty changed more things in gaming than anything else in at least a decade or more.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Shooter have had a huge jump this gen. You can tell a shooter from this gen and the older gens. The level design has change so much. That is one of my problems with Rage.

JRPG have stay about the same. They still come up with rich enemies. Dark Soul and Dragon Dogma seem to be hurting JRPG.

WRPG have gone down hill this gen. Many replace RPG parts with dialog and moral picks. I was hoping that Mass Effect one would over come the weakness of in almost all of the WRPG but the second and third did nothing to help it.

Braid for indie games. Showing that all you need to do is get some flashy gimmick and a little slid of hand and many will praise you for being innovative without being innovative,

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Dragon Age and ME series in RPG Forza in racing NBA 2k series in sports Batman & Uncharted when it comes to Action Borderlands in shooting
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Borrizee

Shooter have had a huge jump this gen. You can tell a shooter from this gen and the older gens. The level design has change so much. That is one of my problems with Rage.

JRPG have stay about the same. They still come up with rich enemies. Dark Soul and Dragon Dogma seem to be hurting JRPG.

WRPG have gone down hill this gen. Many replace RPG parts with dialog and moral picks. I was hoping that Mass Effect one would over come the weakness of in almost all of the WRPG but the second and third did nothing to help it.

Braid for indie games. Showing that all you need to do is get some flashy gimmick and a little slid of hand and many will praise you for being innovative without being innovative,

wiouds
Shooters are really changed this gen that's for sure. There were to little jrpg's my opinion and why is Dark soul hurting the genre? I loved it big time like demon's soul. Mass effect you are totally right...to little change. Indie games...I really enjoyed Journey...it was a different experience but innovative I know.
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Borrizee
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Dragon Age and ME series in RPG Forza in racing NBA 2k series in sports Batman & Uncharted when it comes to Action Borderlands in shooting

nicely ranked in genres. NBA 2k was awesome and more. Forza I did not play it yet. The rest is think so to but to little change I think.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Well, with the absence of innovative RPG/adventure games, it let the other genres dominate.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Wii Sports, CoD4, Gears of War are the ones that stick out to me.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

Borrizee

Shooters are really changed this gen that's for sure. There were to little jrpg's my opinion and why is Dark soul hurting the genre? I loved it big time like demon's soul. Mass effect you are totally right...to little change. Indie games...I really enjoyed Journey...it was a different experience but innovative I know.

Sorry I mean Demon's Souls. Take everything bad about WRPG and JRPG and combind then you get Demon's Souls and Dragon Dogma.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Easily Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. No other game has been as nearly influential this gen as this game.

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

On a positive note the way indie games have taken off is great. They are often the most engaging and innovative games out there today and will be taken much more seriously from now on.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds

On a positive note the way indie games have taken off is great. They are often the most engaging and innovative games out there today and will be taken much more seriously from now on.

puddinghead101

My problem is that most idie games are showing you just add flash,and a show and dance you can sell games without any innovation while claiming they do.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Call of Duty 4, Uncharted 2, Gears of War, and the various motion games on the Wii.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Wii Sports for a bad bad change, crappy mini games and shovelware.

Assassin's Creed 2 really made action adventure with RPG elements a big thing, Modern Warfare made a lot of Modern shooters, Bioshock showed that fans want great location, story and gameplay and originality.

The biggest game to change is obviously Call of duty 4 but this was an amazing generation for smaller games with all the amazing Arcade/PSN games that have released.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

judging from all the love and hate, it has to be call of duty

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Far Cry 3 hands down.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Street Cleaning Simulator.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

As far as actual individual games go...none (Maybe Bioshock). I would have to say it was generation of Indie games. Xbox Live, PS Network, Nintendo Network (eShop) were the real game changers. Pretty cool not to be stuck buying $60 heavily marketed retail games all of the time. Now for $5 - $20 you can find some amazing games with fresh ideas that you dont even have to leave home to buy. That was the biggest change this generation IMO.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Borrizee

As far as actual individual games go...none (Maybe Bioshock). I would have to say it was generation of Indie games. Xbox Live, PS Network, Nintendo Network (eShop) were the real game changers. Pretty cool not to be stuck buying $60 heavily marketed retail games all of the time. Now for $5 - $20 you can find some amazing games with fresh ideas that you dont even have to leave home to buy. That was the biggest change this generation IMO.

LJChronx
maybe it was in fact...never thought about it that way.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
how is it not cod 4?
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Assassin's Creed 2 really made action adventure with RPG elements a big thing, Modern Warfare made a lot of Modern shooters, Bioshock showed that fans want great location, story and gameplay and originality.

immortality20

What part of the AC series has role-playing?

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Call of Duty 4 for FPS. It's hard to play a shooter from this gen and not see the influence it had.
Gears of War for TPS, same deal as CoD4.
Wii Sports for introducing the motion control/casual party game phase.
And while not changing games, per se, Heavy Rain and Asura's Wrath are good representatives of the minimal-input cinematic "game" genre that seems to be growing.