What's a dead/dying genre you want to see comeback to life

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

camdbz251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 camdbz251
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts

What I'd love to see is a genre of Contra-esque 2D side-scroller shoot-em-ups, with retro gameplay, but implemented on next-gen systems with almost-photorealistic, 1080p graphics. A nice little mix-up of old gameplay and new visuals - kinda like New Super Mario Bros.. I also say the same for games like Castlevania.

Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
I'd love to see old school adventure games come back. Games like King's Quest, Monkey Island, Myst, Loom, Pepper's Adventures in Time, Day of the Tentacle...those were the games I was raised on, and some of them were REALLY good. I'm guessing they died out because they actually made you use your brain quite a lot, which isn't something most people are big on. Oh well.
camdbz251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 camdbz251
Member since 2006 • 159 Posts
OMG, I make that post, then on the same day I see a trailer for Prince of Persia Classic for XBLA. That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. God, I hope that comes to PSN. Peace.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

What I'd love to see is a genre of Contra-esque 2D side-scroller shoot-em-ups, with retro gameplay, but implemented on next-gen systems with almost-photorealistic, 1080p graphics. A nice little mix-up of old gameplay and new visuals - kinda like New Super Mario Bros.. I also say the same for games like Castlevania.

camdbz251

Agree with you on that one. Have you tried R-Type Delta and Strider 2 on the PS1?

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#55 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts

How about the "Chrono Trigger sequel" genre? I haven't seen a game like that recently.ajkalan
Been done. It's called Chrono Cross and it's on PS1.
Beatemups a la Super Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Final Fight... etc. My favorite Genre ever. SemiMaster
I agree. They seem happy to keep rehashing them though, with Double Dragon just coming out on Live Arcade.
Well most of the genres that I'd like to see comeback have already been mentioned so one that I'd really love to see make a comeback but hasn't been mentioned yet is Lightgun games. Oh man how I loved games like Lethal Enforcers, House of the Dead, and Vampire Night. I really want to see House of the Dead 4 make it's way to consoles sometime soon.Archangel3371
House of the Dead 4 is coming to Xbox 360. Time Crisis 4 is coming to PS3 (and possibly Xbox 360). There is a new Umbrella Chronicles game in the works for Wii. And Lethal Enforcers 4 has just come to Arcades.

There is a rumour that Point Blank is coming to Wii.

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Well most of the genres that I'd like to see comeback have already been mentioned so one that I'd really love to see make a comeback but hasn't been mentioned yet is Lightgun games. Oh man how I loved games like Lethal Enforcers, House of the Dead, and Vampire Night. I really want to see House of the Dead 4 make it's way to consoles sometime soon.SemiMaster

Isn't the Wii supposed to have or will have Light Gun additions?

I think so or at least the Wii-mote can be implemented as a sort of lightgun. I know I'm really looking forward to Resident Evil: Chronicles and I believe Sega has a gun game coming out for the system. I'd really also like to see these kind of games come out for the 360 and/or PS3. A game like House of the Dead 4 would most likely need the more powerful hardware to do the game justice.

Imagine a 360 or PS3 light gun game in 1080p. Like REALLLYYYY accurate damage to enemies. Like the difference between shooting a finger off vs. the whole hand or arm. That'd be cool and implement the AI and damage to the enemy properly, now that would be a REAL first person shooter.

Read my response above. It is happening.
3D Space flight shooters. Where's my next gen Colony Wars? (Please don't mention Star Wars or Star Trek. Bleh!)tonemd_basic
I miss Colony Wars as well, there, there. Hopefully you'll be able to download them from the Playstation Store. In the meantime, Lair and Warhawk maybe?

Rumour has it that a Crimson Skies 2 is in development for Xbox 360 as well.

Some great adventure games like The Longest Journeydayaccus007
Just so you know, there is a sequel to Longest Journey called Dreamfall, on PC and Xbox. There is news that more in the series is on the way.

There is also the recent "series" of Sam and Max.

If a genre is dieing its because its an out of date/lame gameplay ****that had its moment in the sun, and now needs to be put to rest to make way for better genres.L8erSquare
That isn't always true though. Many can argue over the merits of 2D/3D but in fighters, 2D is still as enjoyable as ever. The best Platformers are usually 2D, AND shmups can hardly ever get old. Ever since Operation Wolf people have loved light gun games, though their requirements have made them not the most accepting of genres. And so many years after the original, the Sam and Max duo are back and fans and new players alike will be able to enjoy them.

New genres can't replace the old, they grow from them.

In general, I'd like to see 2D Side-scrolling Beat 'Em Ups make a comeback for sure. That's a near dead genre right there.

I would also like to see Point-and-Click Adventure games make a comeback on the Wii and DS. Both of those platforms are the perfect place for those types of interactive story games, since the DS and the Wii both have controller schemes available that can easily take the place of a mouse.

m0zart
if that means more Super Ghosts and Ghouls - count me in. And I couldn't agree more on the Wii and DS anecdote - they are the perfect system for it.

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="L8erSquare"]If a genre is dieing its because its an out of date/lame gameplay ****that had its moment in the sun, and now needs to be put to rest to make way for better genres.Dencore

Genres always have their fans, and most of them die due to the constant bastardization/casualization of the videogame industry, in the same direction hollywood is taking.

100% Agreed.IMHO console gaming has turned to be the worst.

While I can agree, there is somet things that I think console gaming has up on. For one, Guitar Hero is awesome. And I love Basketball games. So the consoles have me covered there, usually.

When I think about the games that I used to love when I was a kid, I think I liked educational games the most. Obviously some most people remember like oregon trail, which was of course epic and taught people from all over where things like chimney rock are located, or the original where in the world is carmen sandiego which came bundled with international travel books and almanacs, or the fantastic high paced number munchers or math blaster.

There are quite a few others I remember like one where you live life as a fish and learn how to avoid predators and learn what different species of fish were and what they ate, and one that kind of was horrible but its concept was that it was a house that was horrible at energy conservation, and your mission was to find all the ways each room could improve efficiency.

Not to mention Mavis Bacon, and speak and spell (there was even a console typing game that was a mockup of a keyboard with all kinds of typing games on it)

Although the big brain academy games are seemly aiming a little towards recreating that, educational games definitely dont seem to be prevalent or mainstream anymore.

super_police
My favourites as a kid were Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago? and Swiss Family Robinson.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#56 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

A whole lotSagacious_Tien

Well, I have two responses.

1.)For Double Dragon, or beatemups in general, I want a true sequel/different version/remake even in full HD and using all of our technological advances. Not some Xbox Live Rerelease crap. I hold high hopes for Golden Axe coming out (hopefully) next year. A modern River City Ransom might not be too bad either.

2.) Is this House of the Dead 4 just going to be some more of the same crap where the monsters jump out and if you shoot them in the head they die easy, anywhere else it takes a lot? Or will this utilize more damage zones and other interesting features that generally don't appear in on rails shooters in the arcades? 

The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 The_Duke_Lives
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts
  Is this House of the Dead 4 just going to be some more of the same crap where the monsters jump out and if you shoot them in the head they die easy, anywhere else it takes a lot? Or will this utilize more damage zones and other interesting features that generally don't appear in on rails shooters in the arcades? SemiMaster
To be fair, most of the enemies in House of the Dead are zombies. Shooting zombies anywhere other than head is not supposed to be effective.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#58 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

[QUOTE="SemiMaster"] Is this House of the Dead 4 just going to be some more of the same crap where the monsters jump out and if you shoot them in the head they die easy, anywhere else it takes a lot? Or will this utilize more damage zones and other interesting features that generally don't appear in on rails shooters in the arcades? The_Duke_Lives
To be fair, most of the enemies in House of the Dead are zombies. Shooting zombies anywhere other than head is not supposed to be effective.

There in lies the problem with that game mechanic. Assuming that you don't kill someone or a zombie by shooting it in the leg, at least that should slow it's progress, right? Simple things like that were lacking in the original arcade games, non dynamic gameplay, just totally scripted and very generic "you shoot it, it dies and keep moving" gameplay.

We could do so much more to the light gun shooter genre with the technoloy available. 

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I just want Street Fighter 4 to kick ass. That's all
super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts
[QUOTE="super_police"]

When I think about the games that I used to love when I was a kid, I think I liked educational games the most.  Obviously some most people remember like oregon trail, which was of course epic and taught people from all over where things like chimney rock are located, or the original where in the world is carmen sandiego which came bundled with international travel books and almanacs, or the fantastic high paced number munchers or math blaster.

There are quite a few others I remember like one where you live life as a fish and learn how to avoid predators and learn what different species of fish were and what they ate, and one that kind of was horrible but its concept was that it was a house that was horrible at energy conservation, and your mission was to find all the ways each room could improve efficiency.

Not to mention Mavis Bacon, and speak and spell (there was even a console typing game that was a mockup of a keyboard with all kinds of typing games on it)

Although the big brain academy games are seemly aiming a little towards recreating that, educational games definitely dont seem to be prevalent or mainstream anymore. 

GodModeEnabled

You play educational games on purpose?! o_0 Anytime I learn something, even by accident I run headfirst into the wall as hard as I can. TAKE THAT SKOOL! ....... What were we talking about again....? :(

heh, well my mom is a teacher, and when I was a kid educational games were the easy ones to get her to buy for me.  But after playing thru a lot of them, I think some of them stood up to the non educational games of the time easily.  As primitive as it was Think Quick still stands as a brilliant maze and switch game in my mind.

and now as an adult, I find that while entertaining myself I like to learn at the same time, for instance I like cspan and the history channel etc..  and I like smart games, though there are not enough out there.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

I just want Street Fighter 4 to kick ass. That's allNifty_Shark

I wish for it too, but I doubt it'll happen.

armouredpriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 armouredpriest
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts
There's a special place in my heart for the SHMUP
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#63 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Beat Em-ups and Fighting games would be nice but what we really need is more adventure games, you know games like Monkey Island and Sam and Max.
AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
Platformers.
1yodsyo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65 1yodsyo1
Member since 2007 • 326 Posts
Light Gun games are dying. A new Time Crisis and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles are coming out, but its slowing down.
brittoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 brittoss
Member since 2004 • 1028 Posts
Whack a mole type games.
The_Baymonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67 The_Baymonster
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts
Space SIMS, and Mechwarrior SIM games. I'm not talking mech assault, I'm talking Mechwarrior 2, one of the best games ever made.
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

Honestly - and I know this is just a sub-genre - I want turn-based RPGs to come back to consoles (not handhelds).  I understand this is a new generation and everything, but I love all RPGs, and I still prefer turn-based.  I play certain RPGs for some reasons and others for other reasons...for example, I always played FF because I enjoyed the story and the turn-based combat.  I played BG: DA because I didn't give a crap about the story and just adored hacking 'n slashing all day.

But now, it's like they're trying to phase out turn-based entirely.  FF XII, Rogue Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, even the upcoming White Knight Story - made by Level 5, who did Dragon Quest VIII - aren't true turn-based, and I hear The Last Remnant and FF XIII won't be true turn-based, either.  And again, I understand it's kinda like an advancement in the industry to create new combat formulas, and we can always use innovation, but...I dunno, I just always thought there was more strategy in pure turn-based RPGs.  And I always preferred them.  Now, I can't find even one coming out for a CONSOLE that is anything but real-time or a hybrid of some sort.

HummaKavula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#69 HummaKavula
Member since 2007 • 850 Posts

2D point & click adventure games! Come on, LucasArts, make Monkey Island 5!
In 2D please, Secret of Monkey Island was very disappointing thanks to its unattractive graphics and frustrating control scheme, I only finished it because the characters and the jokes were funny, but other than that it was pretty boring.

Runaway tried to revive a dead genre, though it failed miserably in every possible way.

Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts
Either space combat sims or western mech sims. Want to see mechwarrior 5 so bad
The_Baymonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71 The_Baymonster
Member since 2006 • 256 Posts

Oh yeah, and I also agree turn based RPGS are the best. Bring those back. We need a game like Golden sun for the 360... anyone agree?

FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

Space Flight Sims, definately.

Bampaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Bampaz
Member since 2007 • 500 Posts
It's definitely 2D fighting games.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Dencore

Honestly - and I know this is just a sub-genre - I want turn-based RPGs to come back to consoles (not handhelds). I understand this is a new generation and everything, but I love all RPGs, and I still prefer turn-based. I play certain RPGs for some reasons and others for other reasons...for example, I always played FF because I enjoyed the story and the turn-based combat. I played BG: DA because I didn't give a crap about the story and just adored hacking 'n slashing all day.

But now, it's like they're trying to phase out turn-based entirely. FF XII, Rogue Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, even the upcoming White Knight Story - made by Level 5, who did Dragon Quest VIII - aren't true turn-based, and I hear The Last Remnant and FF XIII won't be true turn-based, either. And again, I understand it's kinda like an advancement in the industry to create new combat formulas, and we can always use innovation, but...I dunno, I just always thought there was more strategy in pure turn-based RPGs. And I always preferred them. Now, I can't find even one coming out for a CONSOLE that is anything but real-time or a hybrid of some sort.

fathoms_basic

Totally agreed, Turnbase RPG's usually have the most skill and depth of all of the console genres IMHO.

I guess people are complaining because for one they assume that's all JRPG's just with turnbased gameplay *which we both know is obviously false* and two think it's old so it needs to be Xed out. But you know they're 100% right, with that note I think we should take the First Person out of First Person Shooters since we've had it with the birth of the genre and all. 

Either space combat sims or western mech sims. Want to see mechwarrior 5 so badRougehunter

Good old MechWarrior I played 3 on my PC for hours at a time. :)

It's definitely 2D fighting games.Bampaz

Agreed, I'm surprised that genre died since it was so skillful and basic. I mean if Multiplayer FPS's lived on you'd think at least this genre would've. 

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#75 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts

Beat'em ups, most definitely.  Streets of Rage remake anyone?  Maybe even a Battletoads vs. Double Dragon remake as well?  Yes, please.  m3ss

Steets of Rage was an aesome game!!! I'd definately buy a remake or sequel if they made it.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Dencore
I know I've already posted but dang it bring back my 2D Fighters and Shoot-em-ups!!!
Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 545 Posts
Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix F1 games :(