What will you remember this gaming generation for? (2005-present)

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

when the devs lost their imagination and started making standarized clones for every genre

Krelian-co

as opposed to past generations? lol there was a time when every game was the same platformer with different color palletes

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

when the devs lost their imagination and started making standarized clones for every genre

BlackDevil99

as opposed to past generations? lol there was a time when every game was the same platformer with different color palletes

y6es it was the time thats was all the consoles could handle and then came ps one era and ps two era where they actually put effort in the games, and then we have this clone era where every game tries to imitate another succesful one.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
The kids belting out various curse words.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

The Crappy DRM's, some good games, and my maturity when it comes to picking games.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Dumbing down of games and making them all more like action games or hack n slash.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23974 Posts

[QUOTE="TheBlackKnight3"]

Morality and choice in games got really big now. Allows for great replay value.

ArchonOver

What do you mean? If anything, morality and choice got shat on this generation. There are less and less choices in RPGs, whether it's choosing how you play in an RPG or the story changing choices. And the choices games do have are very cut and dry. It's either an **** choice or a saint choice, there aren't any grey situations in RPGs today. The only exception I can think of is The Witcher. and even that series contained mostly fighting, no way to slick talk your way through the game, but it did the morality right.

I'll probably remember this generation as the birth of DLCs, streamlining every game, and for making everyother game a shooter or shooter hybrid.

He means a lot of modern games, not just RPGs have morality as well. Most likely popularized by Bioshock. Examples include,

• Infamous Series
  • Bioshock
  • Army of Two
  • Fable (Action Adventure)
  • Far Cry 3
  • GTA4
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Sims
  • Mass Effect 1+2
  • Probably several other games I can not think of right now.

I do agree about your opinion on choices though, personally these utterly shallow choices just detract from the experience for me. Morality is fine and all, but for the love of all that is holy, dont make the choices so black and white. Of the games listed, the only one that was acceptable was Mass Effect 1+2 when it came to choices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

The revival of fighters and the death of shooters. And failed motion control.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Unfortunately, this has been my least favorite gen of gaming yet (been gaming since 1992). However, that's not to say that there weren't some good things about this gen. I really enjoyed all the epic WRPGs that came out this gen, as well some great fighting games. Also, unlike many people on here, I thought the Wii was a solid piece of hardware and I have enjoyed that console immensely. That unfortunately is all the good, now for the bad. This generation had way too many rehashed FPS games to count and I feel like franchises like Call of Duty and Halo have severely turned the FPS genre and the gaming industry in general into a wasteland of unoriginality. I also thought that given the state of the industry, many games released, especially the most popular ones, lacked so much originality and innovation that gamers enjoyed more frequently in past generations. Also, while it was at first a refreshing addition to gaming, I feel like all the musical instrument rhythm have become increasingly stale and tiresome. And finally, I find the slow transition from physical media to digital disturbing seeing how it takes any kind of actual ownership away from the consumer. I must say if gaming continues in this direction, which I sadly see it going, I might exit out of playing new games. That is my take on this gen, here's to a better next gen.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#59 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Great indie scene, terrible AAA titles.

It's kinda like what metal's been going through for a decade or more.

MaskJackal
I'd have to agree. Indie games are amazing this gen.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
playing tons of halo 3, and loving mass effect as one of the best series ever. I'll probably also kind of remember cod especially playing spec ops in mw2 with my buddy. (and hopefully mw3). Those are some of the main things for me. It's been great.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Games such as Bioshock 1/2, Assassin's Creed series, Demon's Souls, Oblivion, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mass Effect series, and Uncharted 2.

The rise and stand still of motion sense gaming.

COD taking over the fps market (though, the next two years look to offer a lot of really good fps games that don't look like COD ripoffs)

The lack of horror games and platformers.

Games being released barebones and in order to get the full content you have to buy it seperate (I'm looking at you COD, listing the maps we don't have and telling us we have to buy them, I'm amazed people fall for that)

Where did the awesome cheat codes go that used to be in games like GTA and Mercenaries, which weren't used to cheat but rather to do crazy fun stuff.

When did developers decide it would be a good idea to make almost every game serious, and in turn making them come off as laughable due to how much it's forced (GTA IV).

And yeah, other than that it's just like any other gaming generation that has a list of great games, an attempt at motion sense, and an attempt to get as much money as possible from the consumer.

dv_mrkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 dv_mrkn
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

the first thing that comes to my mind: Red Ring of Death -.-

i'm at my fourth xbox 360 now, just sucks!

on the other hands, there were pretty awesome games and especially the graphics improves a lot!

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

Shooters, shooters, and more shooters.

Blazember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#64 Blazember
Member since 2010 • 108 Posts

Right from the start it was a disaster

Super overpriced PS3

RRoD 360

Wii still has too much shovelware, not enough good 3rd party support and a joke of online compared to others,

But CoD4, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Gears of War, Resistance, Mario Galaxy, the list goes on, many great new games and series

JotaPreisler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 JotaPreisler
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

Horse Armor DLC...