What will you remember this gaming generation for? (2005-present)

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'll probably remember this generation as the beginning of 'nickel-and-diming' in the gaming industry. It's easily the most noticeable shift from previous generations - with developers removing content from their games and selling it a month later for $15. Buying used games will soon end as well. I won't comment on the quality of games, as there are still great games coming out today (just in fewer quantities).

What will you remember this genration for?

MaskJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 MaskJackal
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

Great indie scene, terrible AAA titles.

It's kinda like what metal's been going through for a decade or more.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I'll probably remember this generation as the beginning of 'nickel-and-diming' in the gaming industry. It's easily the most noticeable shift from previous generations - with developers removing content from their games and selling it a month later for $15. Buying used games will soon end as well. I won't comment on the quality of games, as there are still great games coming out today (just in fewer quantities).

What will you remember this genration for?

KHAndAnime

I agree completely, charging for DLC is BS. I'm not paying $10 for just a few more maps and palette swaps of already playable characters.

I'll also remember this generation for the creation of the cookie cutter shooter. Every FPS today tries to be like Call of Duty.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
  1. Lapse of journalistic ethics from a wide variety of review sources.
  2. Games releasing in beta states, buggy, and unfinished but being acceptable from the public.
  3. DLC allowing developers to release 80% finished games and milk the public on the rest of content.
  4. More and more simplified gameplay on big budget games.
  5. Huge increase in indie scene to capture everything missing from the big corporations.
  6. On consoles, a major rethink in hardware with re-releases of platforms several times, cut in hardware, slashing of prices.
  7. The changing of staying pure to one platform for developers and publishers. (Huge multiplatform explosion)
  8. On Pc, huge explosion of simulations of different genre's (racing, planes, military etc)
  9. On gamespot, a lack of quality reviews per platform, cut paste across multiplatforms for reviews or just a Lapse in reviews entirely (See Spreadsheet for details)
  10. The move to go outside normal controller schemes and methods (wiimote, kinect move, touch screen smartphones of handhelds etc)
  11. Developers and publishers attempting to inflate review scores by allowing special treatment for reviewers (Ex. COD Hotel Oasis for many reviewers)
  12. Major developers and publishers buying up small studios, making a game then dissipating the studio
  13. On Pc, a cut in modding opportunity for many games with 1 dollar DLC replacing what the mod community has done (maps, skins, etc)
  14. A increase in game ads in media to get those to buy a product.
  15. This new gamers mentality to not read review content but look simply at review scores or metacritic consensus to decide a game to play
  16. Many reviewers heavy criticism of JRPG's but now love for WRPG.
  17. Huge increase in quick time events in games, linear gameplay, lack of single player, and focus on achievements.
  18. Lack of inspiration in many genre's with games being redone with very few changes from the year before.
  19. On Pc, developers criticizing piracy and releasing gregorian DRM measures or stating they will not release a game on a platform but release other games weeks later (See Capcom dead rising 2 release vs Super street fighter 4, ubisoft DRM, and even blizzard/activation new DRM)
  20. On Pc, a explosion of DD services to replace traditional store bought product (greenmangaming, inpulsedriven,steam,gamersgate,D2d, GFWL serive, EA's Orgin service)
  21. The change in mindset that piracy is a major problem on all platforms (360 jtags, ps3 code broken, wii code broke weeks after release, psp code broken, ds carts, PC piracy,)
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

For consoles, online multiplayer I suppose, even though the original xbox had it, the PS2 didn't.

Tacked on multiplayer, annoys me so much, especially AC:B, its the story thats meant to be played, not some old-style COD multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Incredible gimmicks. Lots of innovation with the insurgence of independent devs. The death of the expansion pack. Gaming going from hiding in the corners to being everywhere.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
there are all sorts of trends and the like, but demon's souls is probably my fondest experience of this generation. everyone else can have fun b****ing about the disappearance of their childish petty dice rolls and level grinds ("oh, but thats what gave it depth!"), but ill be remembering the real role playing decision of either helping actual people, hurting them, or leaving them be.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

I'll remember it for all the wasted hours my peers spent on pure crap. It's like films in the '80s. Only the PC indie scene possesses any sort of sympathy for those gamers who remember how, not so long ago, games actually required some sort of intelligence and development of skill.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
2005 sparked a hardware memory for me, as the 7800 GTX 512 MB had just been put on the market. How far graphics have progressed since then.
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

The quality of games being upped significantly. It's a trend you see where if you don't develop the next AAA title, you won't survive.

Achievements.

Achievements.

Achievements.

Trophies.

Achievements.

Seriously addictive and they make you play the game in a different way and for allot longer. The most simple, yet best addition to gaming this generation by far. They made me play most of my games allot longer than I otherwise should have and made me have more fun because they make me play the game in a certain way I wouldn't have thought of myself.

Trebblebase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Trebblebase
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts

Horse Armor.

Monarch117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Monarch117
Member since 2006 • 276 Posts

MaskJackal
Basically you like the niche lesser known stuff and hate popular successful titles? Hipsters gonna hip.
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zevvion
[QUOTE="MaskJackal"]

Monarch117
Basically you like the niche lesser known stuff and hate popular successful titles? Hipsters gonna hip.

I noticed that too. Doesn't really seem plausible to think every AAA game out there sucks. The quality is higher then ever before.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The Good:

• Steam
  • Better availability of indie titles
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Adventure game renaissance
  • Civilization IV / V

The Bad and the Ugly:

• Motion controls
  • DLC
  • Call of Duty
  • Music / party games
  • DRM
aGOODdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aGOODdude
Member since 2010 • 444 Posts

Best games ever?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts
  1. Indie renaissance.
  2. Decline of mainstream developers
  3. Whac-a-mole type gameplay. Especially among many mainstream games such as Uncharted, Gears of War and even Deus Ex.
Piroshki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Piroshki
Member since 2011 • 242 Posts

Motion controls, for better or worse, depending on your perspective. They're likely here to stay, at least on consoles. That being said, this will likely be remembered as the last generation for me as a console gamer at all. Increasingly, it seems I'm being asked to be online all the time in order to game, or get chunks of the game I paid for activated at all, to prove I'm not a thief, so I may as well game on something I'm likely to keep online all the time anyway. The triple A games on the whole are quality efforts, just not terribly memorable, on the whole.

I'll remember Uncharted, for sure. But more for the characters than anything else. Characters who would have been just as memorable on the big screen in a movie, than in a game. Their are a few stand out gems, of course. Mario Galaxy, Demon's Souls, MGS4, Final Fantasy XIII, (yeah, I said that) etc. Great games aren't in short supply, like I said, just not many that really leave a mark.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44295 Posts
I'll remember this gen for it's robust library of excellent games, this gen I have bought more great games from a more varied pool of developers then ever before. I'll also remember it for consoles being able to download patches for games, extending or enhancing games with dlc, and being able to download cIassic games and new games on XBLA/PSN/VC. I'll remember it for being the birth place for achievements/trophies and for the proliferation of online gaming, both things being things I really love.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts
  • PS3 $599 - Which ended up costing me around $800 thanks to high NY sales tax, Dual Shock 3 not being bundled in and of course late payment charges. :P
  • YLOD - And now having a $800 electronic machine sit in my basement collecting dust. A big f*** you to Sony.
  • Strong focus on Story: Before, it was just MGS games where you could find high production values in cutscenes. Now almost every game, even shooters can tell a decent story. Heavy Rain, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Batman AA can all match Kojima's best cutscenes without being too long and soap-ey.
  • Unreal Engine 3 - Worst greens ever. People say it's versatile, but if I can look at a game and within moments can tell if its a UE3 game or not, it has failed to do the one thing a game's set out to do, to immerse me in the game.
  • PSN/XBLA - Flower, BF1943, Shadow Complex, Lara Croft, Journey.... All of them my favorite games of this gen.
  • Online Multiplayer - I've logged in 150+ hours in 4 games this gen. I love how easy it is to find games thanks to matchmaking and how stable the whole online experience is.
  • Lag in Online Multiplayer - And I'm talking about the host advantage. This could easily be eliminated by dedicated servers but Publishers just dont want to set aside a few thousands dollars for servers.
  • Motion Controls not as bad as Gamers make them out to be: Sure Nintendo forcing Motion controls for every single game was a bad idea, but motion controls do work for some genres. Sports games, shooters, boxing games are a completely new experience with motion controls. (This does not include Kinect since it is still using last gen Eye Toy technology. F*** Kinect!)
  • Graphics - I played so many games last gen that just couldn't match MGS2's graphical fidelity. Even MGS3 was bogged down with framerate issues and fog, fog everywhere! This gen I feel the developers were able to fully implement the vision of their Art teams. Venice in AC2, the whole of U2 and KZ2, Character models in Batman AC, and the epic scale of God Of War 3 are examples where it does not feel the devs was limited in anyway by the current hardware.
  • MGS4
spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

Pretty graphics for its time.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

for bringing online gaming to the masses

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zevvion
  1. Indie renaissance.
  3. Whac-a-mole type gameplay. Especially among many mainstream games such as Uncharted, Gears of War and even Deus Ex.
Maroxad
What do you mean by 'Whac-a-mole type gameplay?
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

1. Indie renaissance.

Zevvion

i'm guessing he means u (and the enemy) hide in cover, pop-out, and then get shot. either that or quick-time events (in which case, i agree)

bwalsh21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bwalsh21
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Personally I would consider the advancements in online multiplayer, motion gimmicks and graphics/processing power a few of the most notable characteristics of current-gen gaming. I would imagine that we won't see near the same incline in processing and visual performance during the next generation as we have since 2005. And while a lot of groups are pushing for 3D gaming, I really don't see it as much of an offering just yet and doubt that it will pick up much steam in the long run.
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

The install/download progress bar slowly moving across my tv screen.:P This was definitely the generation of updates/patches/dlcs.

Personally, I will remember this gen as the best so far for high quality gaming experiences. The past gens laid the groundwork already, so this gen was able to focus on refining the gaming experience, leading to many, many excellent games that had the full package: graphics + story + gameplay.

Historically, the gadget gaming trend will probably stick out the most, especially the rise of the Wii/Kinnect/Move. Of all the gaming gadgets, Nintendo's sticks out the most of course since Nintendo went into gadget gaming all way. Nintendo bet big on gadget gaming and it definitely paid off big for them in the short term. Whether gadget gaming will continue to sustain Nintendo in the future or not, there is no arguing that the Wiimote left a huge mark on this gen.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Zevvion"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

1. Indie renaissance.

BlackDevil99

i'm guessing he means u (and the enemy) hide in cover, pop-out, and then get shot.

Correct.

In fact, there is even a term for games like this: Popamole.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zevvion

[QUOTE="BlackDevil99"]

[QUOTE="Zevvion"] What do you mean by 'Whac-a-mole type gameplay?Maroxad

i'm guessing he means u (and the enemy) hide in cover, pop-out, and then get shot.

Correct.

Ah, alright then. I guess that's true. Still fun though.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Correct.

Zevvion

Ah, alright then. I guess that's true. Still fun though.

Each to their own.

I dont like these kinds of games at all. Especially Gears of War. But I can see why people like them.

Biigboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Biigboss
Member since 2009 • 218 Posts

For the online gaming.

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts

Good

Great new IPs (Gears, Uncharted , Resistance , L4D, etc.)

Use of Online Multiplayer

Good use of DLC (10% of the time)

Call of Duty

Bad

HD remakes (imo they're a cash in on older games nothing more)

Bad use of DLC (90% of the time)

Not as many good 'ol fashioned fun titles as previous gens

Call of duty

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
1. Modern Warfare series destroying sales records, whether you wanted them to or not. 2. Get plowed in the butt with on-line tactics that are shameful in a lot of ways. Most of the stuff being sold as downloadable content for a lot of games should have been included in the original game for free. 3. EA making people pay for being able to play on-line if you buy the game used. BS. 4. The Wii, probably the greatest gimmick console to date. 5. Sony losing all that ground gained with PS2 sales,and having their PS3 start off very expensive and to very little console sales. Thank God for the price drop. 6. EA buying exclusive rights to the NFL teams and players, pretty much getting rid of 2K without having to beat them in a fair fight. 7. Some of the best Mario games ever released in this time frame. 8. The on-line Multiplayer explosion that started with Halo 2, but really took off thanks to Modern Warfare 1, Halo 3, and Battlefield. 9. Rock Band, even though the market got oversaturated with music games, this series really shined by the time Rock Band 2 was released. 10. The Nintendo DS domination in the handheld market. Everyone seemed to own one of these and Nintendo made a ton of money off us all.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I'll remember uncharted 2, Crysis 2, psn and xbla, the moment that CoD got greedy.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
sadly the gimmicks ( motion control, kinect, 3D ) been some great games but this will go down as the crappy gimmick gen in my book
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Cons:

- Online multiplayer being tacked on to every game EVAR even if they didn't need it.

- Everyone copying Call of Duty.

- Content already on the disc that requires extra money to actuallyuse.

- Developers going bust left, right and centre.

- 'Hardcore' games becoming noob friendly because there are so many wimps out there who find Ninja Gaiden/Demon's Souls/DMC/Mega Man too hard.

Pros:

- Online multiplayer on consoles becoming brilliant. (mostly)

- Actually competing in Tekken tournaments and making friends with some of the best players in Europe.

- 'Niche' games getting recognised andselling well. Demon's Souls/Persona 4/Valkyria Chronicles/Heavy Rain... hell even Agarest sold way more than expected.

- Some of the greatest games of all time being released.

- Graphics that look like cutscenes. (I was never wowed by graphics so much in any previous generation)

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

Motion controls, FPSs dominating the market, DLC squeezing every last penny out of consumers, online passes and companies cracking down on used game sales, consoles becoming home entertainment units, RROD.
More negatives than positives for the industry as a whole in my opinion, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the games.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

"Dark, brown, gritty, shooters attempting to be depressing realistic.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

1. FEAR (PC) - This was the first current gen game I ever played, and the ferocious AI and robust physics were two of the more exciting ways that current gen hardware benefitted game design.

2. Littlebigplanet - I've been playing the series almost daily since the beta of LBP1, and LBP1 and 2 are my first and second most played games ever. Every time I log on there are new levels worth playing due to the level of talent in the communityand people's willingness to collaborate and share game design tips.

3. Uncharted 2 - Simply put the best single player campaign I've ever experienced. It felt like every moment was meticulously planned.

4. Geometry Wars - The best X360 launch game, the game which showed me that online would not merely allow for online play, but would give smaller games a way to reach console gaming.

5. Warhawk - Not my first online game, but its the one which set my expectations for competitive online play due to the moderatators (and on a related note, the great community), the dedicated servers, the (relatively) large scale of the battlefield and battles and the near perfect balancing out the gate (the designers hammered out the game's issues in the beta rather than shipping it and then making radical changes).

6. Valkyria Chronicles - A gorgeous tactical rpg which plays kinda-sorta like the classic X-Com.

7. Heavy Rain - I really love the setting, the multiple pathways and flexible interface of this game.

8. Persona 4 - Technically 'last gen' but it was released in this 'current gen' timeframe and is both more ambitious and better executed than any (semi) traditional jrpg on the PS3 or X360.

*Shrugs* Bad stuff that has happened this gen (stupid pricing, unreliable hardware, stolen identities) but honestly, I focus more on the games I'm playing (and enjoying) than anything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#40 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
-Absolutely no scary "horror" games within the mainstream market (Amnesia has a cult following, but still nowhere near mainstream), and the conversion of existing horror series to action games with dark themes. -Tacked-on multiplayer. -Persistent stats and unlocks in multiplayer. Just dangle the rewards and gold stars in front of the kiddies and they'll try to nab them. Bragging about your full-ride scholarship doesn't have **** on 10th prestige. -Great new technology (e.g. Kinect), poor implementation (everything on the Kinect except Dance Central. I'm surprised at how decent that game turned out to be. Fun in a social setting, but that's it) -Indie games. Indie games everywhere. And doing surprisingly well in many cases. (Minecraft, the Penumbra series, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a good chunk of what Steam sells, XBLA's indie game section and even full-on releases in the actual XBLA lineup) -LAN and putting-asses-on-the-couch-based multiplayer almost flat out dying in favor of purely online-based multiplayer. Could've sworn that the bare basics of arena-based multiplayer was possible on a primitive N64, but I might be wrong... :roll: -Attempts to blur the line between movies and games (in terms of entertainment mediums, not licensed games. Examples: Heavy Rain, MGS4) -Lack of extensive expansion packs, big increase in DLC. -Speaking of DLC, DLC. Tons of them. Many of which arguably are day zero releases that require more money in addition to buying the game. -Rise of more digital distribution. -Along with digital distribution, digital deluxe editions and having less collector's/limited editions that include physical goodies. -Activision and EA's ongoing struggle to see who's more evil. There is absolutely no way that they're not laughing at each other throughout this whole thing. -Gamers bending over for Call of Duty. People whine about the franchise as a whole, but for whatever reason they still have a damn copy of MW2 sitting around (even PC gamers, the most angered audience by where the franchise is going, gave in). -A surprising rise in fighting games. Original fighting IP, Blazblue, just rolled in one day, happened to be awesome, spawned a sequel, then spawned an updated version of the sequel. There are like five million versions of Street Fighter 4, a Soul Calibur sequel with another on the way, the newest version of Tekken 6, a new Tekken Tag Tournament that will probably hit the console scene after landing in select arcade locations, two versions of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 within the same year, a reboot of Mortal Kombat, not to mention that DOA4 started off the generation, and all of these that have come out thus far have been positively received across the board. They all have ludicriously strong followings despite how the only thing people bend over for these days are shooters. -HD remakes. Cool when they were remakes of games form the N64/PS1 era and beyond, but not when they've been around since last generation. Resident Evil 4 HD? The game isn't that old and has aged very well. Really, now? -Really, REALLY small instruction manuals. A Perkins dessert menu has more to offer than the instruction manual for Call of Duty 4. Mortal Kombat 9 could of had a lot more as well, and that's a more technical game, for crying out loud. On a similar note, more in-game tutorials as if everything concerning how the game works was taken out of the instruction manual and integrated into the game itself (which is good considering that lost manuals with crucial info is a pain and used game sales can't always guarantee one, but I still miss detailed manuals) -More linear level designs that put the original Wolfenstein to shame, and that game was far from being a simple one-way corridor shooter. -Lack of mod support in most games, and even for PC-exclusive titles from PC-centric developers, no less. -Yearly sequels. I'm pretty sure more effort goes into the Saw and Final Destination sequels than most of these yearly video game sequels. -Tier whoring. It doesn't just apply to fighting games, either. -Piracy becoming the big boogeyman/scapegoat of the industry. Make good games, respect your consumers, and maybe people will actually start finding most games worth buying. -Slim consoles and hardware. Everything's just so damn slim and sleek and shiny. Makes the wood on the Atari look primitive. -Russia, the Middle East, and generic space aliens becoming the next biggest threat in every game that's not based on history. -Gaming PCs/laptops becoming more affordable. The mid-range price/performance market is incredible. Still the most expensive option to game (in the short run, anyways), but it won't hurt your wallet as much as it did before. -Less demos. On PC especially. Even less demos with a reasonable chunk of gameplay. -Shorter games. Much, much shorter. Within that same vein, single-player campaigns that are essentially tutorials for the multiplayer. -Games that advertise many ways to play, but still feels pretty much the same regardless of the playthrough. Hell, I even thought that Crysis was guilty of doing this. I hate it when every other game advertises this on the back of the box. Despicable. -Pre-order bonuses and retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses. Every time a Gamestop commercial advertises exclusive pre-order bonuses, I die a little on the inside. You're asking me to take a risk by pre-ordering a game, which almost definitely doesn't have a demo, and then you make me feel left out and borderline cheated that I didn't take that risk with a retailer that I don't want to do business with.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Bewb juggle phizsikz.
JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#42 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts
The consistently awesome PlayStation lineup and motion controls (though neither the Wii, nor Move and especially not Kinect succeeded at that).
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

Morality and choice in games got really big now. Allows for great replay value.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Morality and choice in games got really big now. Allows for great replay value.

TheBlackKnight3

What do you mean? If anything, morality and choice got shat on this generation. There are less and less choices in RPGs, whether it's choosing how you play in an RPG or the story changing choices. And the choices games do have are very cut and dry. It's either an **** choice or a saint choice, there aren't any grey situations in RPGs today. The only exception I can think of is The Witcher. and even that series contained mostly fighting, no way to slick talk your way through the game, but it did the morality right.

I'll probably remember this generation as the birth of DLCs, streamlining every game, and for making everyother game a shooter or shooter hybrid.

alexbaricco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 alexbaricco
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts

Avatar clothes on Live, COD, the Wii, Valve displaying complete contempt for the Half-Life fanbase, shorter single player campaigns, the rise to prominence of online gaming on consoles.

Bethesda and Rockstar sharing the gold standard in DLC, a giant leap in gorgeously rendered virtual worlds, encouraging steps in choice/multiple outcomes in story-based games, the decline of PC games, DRM, World of Warcraft, LulzSec.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I will remember the amazing games that have been released, and motion controls.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Like any other generation, I'll remember it for the great games I played. I've developed a new-found admiration for Bethesda - though the a-holes quite often put out beta tests as a finished product, they are one of the very few publishers who consistently put out new IP's with fantastic single player campaigns any more.

And I've learned that no matter how much the industry panders to the lowest common denominator with disappointingly mediocre AAA sequel after disappointingly mediocre AAA sequel, there will always be enough marvelously enjoyable B and C games to keep me happy and occupied. And I've learned that I have my own tastes in games: listening to reviewers used to save me from wasting money on crappy games, but now it just causes me to waste money on rubbish - but popular rubbish. :roll:

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="Monarch117"][QUOTE="MaskJackal"]

Zevvion

I noticed that too. Doesn't really seem plausible to think every AAA game out there sucks. The quality is higher then ever before.

I hardly see AAA titles as better quality. They have a much better presentation, but as far as actual gameplay goes they play it safe, add nothing to the genre and have enough cutscenes to bore me to tears, not to mention the fact that a lesser known game doesnt make it worse just because it doesnt have 40 million to devote to marketing.

kerimblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kerimblue13
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

3 words:

First Person Shooters

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

when the devs lost their imagination and started making standarized clones for every genre