What made you start gaming?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 kairikh
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

So ive thought this question over for a long time, i really want to know what provokes people or has provoked you to start gaming; was it being raised with games? Or was it one thing in general that brought you to discovering their existence :P theres a ton of reasons, even if your a casual gamer who plays for stress relief :lol: Why do YOU game and what got you interested?

EDIT: Topic has been moved.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

no lie, it was contra, that was the first game i got hooked on, haven't looked back since, and been doing this for 20 years:o

anyways i mostly Play FPS so i guess for stress relief

astrozombie37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 astrozombie37
Member since 2010 • 2687 Posts

I was raised around video games. :P I think the 1st game I played was Super Mario Bros. for the NES. o.O :D

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Well, it started off with those really simple games for the Macintosh, I believe. Then came along Soulblazer, Link to the past and Secret of Mana, among others. You see, my mother played alot of games... Yeah.

LittleToejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LittleToejam
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

I got my first sega genesis when i was like 3, and it came with some pack that would let me play lots of games, zombies ate my neighbors i played the most. They need to make an app for that game

does anyone remember that sides croller game where your on rollerblades and you fight people? what was it called?

quetzalcoatI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 quetzalcoatI
Member since 2010 • 627 Posts
My parents didn't feel like raising six kids so they got us video games to keep us quiet.
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

Super Mario World, the thing that got me extremely into games was when my sister's bestfriend brought over Halo 2, I went crazy.

Avatar image for Mr_Anderson1817
Mr_Anderson1817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Anderson1817
Member since 2009 • 479 Posts

playing donkey kong on the N64 at my preschool. My parents never bought me an N64 thou :cry:

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

My dad played D&D and Sorcerer's Kingdom on Sega Genesis all the time which got me into playing game like the Lion King, Mickey Mouse (can't remember the name), Strider, and Jurassic Park. Fun games and fun times, I was 5 years old.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
My gameboy daddy brought me when I was still a little child.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
My parents bought me a SNES when I was 5. It was the worst mistake they ever made as parents.
ksire_68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ksire_68
Member since 2007 • 1211 Posts

GoldenEye for the N64 got me hooked. Been gaming ever since.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

The Hudson River, two years ago... We had klassified intelligence that a newtype of Metal Gear was scheduled for transport. The whole thing stank... ...butour noses have been out in the cold too long.This is the introductory narrative to the 2nd installment in one of the greatest game franchises ever made:Metal Gear Solid. A damn good story, some damn good characters, and some damn good gameplay mechanics are the reasons whyMetal Gear Solid 2sparked my interest in gaming. Prior to playing MGS:2, I only played games occasionally; I was far from crazy about them. In fact, the only games I had for my PS2 before I bought MGS:2 were the five games that came with it (I bought a PS2bundle). Those games sucked so badly that I actually decided to trade them in at the local game shop for a used title...which turned out to be MGS:2 (lulz?). I was browsing through the selection the shop had; most of the games there failed to catch my eye. However, when I came across MGS:2, I remembered the advertisements I had seen for it a year earlier and decided to get it. The trailers for the game looked like they could have easily been made by a major Holly Wood studio; they wee so cinematic.

Oddly enough, when I got back home and popped it into my PS2 I was initially very underwhelmed. The fixed camera angles, the manual switch between third and first person perspective when shooting, Snake's vulnerability when detected by the enemy and the non-fatal rounds in the M9 Beretta you start off with, all created this odd and unexpected experience. I thought I was going to be playing a game of instant gratification where I fought enemies out in the open. However, this game was the complete opposite; I guess I should have read the small print over the game's title on the cover:TacticalEspionageAction. However, after I got the hang of the mechanics and gameplay, I came to love it. To this day, I can play the Tanker Chapter over and over again. Completing this chapter in as little time as possible, with as little detections as possible is a really fun challenge. I love taking out an enemy sentry from a distance with a single well placed shot from the M9 and sneaking up behind them to hold them up for their dog-tags.Freeze!

The main aspects of MGS:2 which changed the way I viewed games were the characters and the voice acting. David Hater did a really good job of creating a voice which made Snake come across as tough, but not in an overly mancho sort of way; it's gruffy, but low. It's got to bethecoolest voice I've ever heard. The voice acting for the other characters such as Olga Gurlukovich, Liquid Ocelot, Otacon and Solidus Snake (among others) was also very good. Regarding Olga, I love the authentic Russian accent she has. The subtle attention to detail such as assuring that the characters have the appropriate accents, all help to create a damn good illusion: A fictional story set in a realistic world in the 21st Century. What I found really interesting about Snake was that he was a "Son" (clone) of Big Boss. When I found out that he was a clone, it changed the way I thought of him. It made me wonder how he thought of himself; what he thought of the fact that he was created for the sole purpose of fighting. I also just found it to be plane strange; I mean think about it: He's a clone! He was created in a test tube! Here I thought that my avatar was an ordinary guy and he happens to be a clone of some other guy who's said to have died eons ago. I don't know how other people reacted to this revelation, but it was quite shocking to me. Aside from this, I also like Snake because he's a badass dude. Plain and simple. Here you have this one guy who's willing and able to infiltrate heavily guarded perimeters on his own with the burden of procuring weapons for his defenseon site. If that's not badass, I don't know what is.

One thing I really hated about this game (note my use of the past tense:hated) was Raiden. I bet you saw this coming. However, I wouldn't say that I hated Raiden himself; he wasn'tthatbad. I simply hated the fact that he wasn't Snake. After completing the Tanker Chapter, I expected to continue the game with Snake, but instead I get Raiden. Like I said, I've got nothing against Raiden, but he's not nearly as cool as Snake (Who is?). Nothing peculiar or cool about the sound of his voice, nothing out of the ordinary about his origin (he's not a clone) and worst of all, he had no field experience at that point. All I could say to myself when I realized that I'd be playing with him instead of Snake wasDAMN!

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I was raised playing video games. My parents saw it as a way to keep my sister and I entertained, and it just stuck with me over the years. Back in the SNES and Sega console days.

pengo93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 pengo93
Member since 2009 • 2005 Posts

When I was around 3 or 4 my older sister would let me play her PS1, with such classic games as Croc, Abe's Odyssee and Resident Evil. Not long after, Santa got me a gameboy for Christmas and from then I was hooked on Donkey Kong and Pokemon.

Avatar image for OilySuperWillie
OilySuperWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OilySuperWillie
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

Sega Saturn and Genesis got me good

mostly Sonic and side scrolling beat em ups until i got into Counter Strike, Red Alert and Starcraft. After Starcraft I started really appreciating games as a hobby

xTawshx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xTawshx
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts
I used to watch my older brother play. And he used to watch my dad play.
kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kairikh
My parents bought me a SNES when I was 5. It was the worst mistake they ever made as parents.cd_rom
:lol: sometimes i feel the same about my n64
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I was raised around video games. :P I think the 1st game I played was Super Mario Bros. for the NES. o.O :D

astrozombie37

This. Though now I consider myself a more "hardcore" gamer. I enjoy all types of games except for puzzle games.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kairikh

The Hudson River, two years ago... We had klassified intelligence that a newtype of Metal Gear was scheduled for transport. The whole thing stank... ...butour noses have been out in the cold too long.This is the introductory narrative to the 2nd installment in one of the greatest game franchises ever made:Metal Gear Solid. A damn good story, some damn good characters, and some damn good gameplay mechanics are the reasons whyMetal Gear Solid 2sparked my interest in gaming. Prior to playing MGS:2, I only played games occasionally; I was far from crazy about them. In fact, the only games I had for my PS2 before I bought MGS:2 were the five games that came with it (I bought a PS2bundle). Those games sucked so badly that I actually decided to trade them in at the local game shop for a used title...which turned out to be MGS:2 (lulz?). I was browsing through the selection the shop had; most of the games there failed to catch my eye. However, when I came across MGS:2, I remembered the advertisements I had seen for it a year earlier and decided to get it. The trailers for the game looked like they could have easily been made by a major Holly Wood studio; they wee so cinematic.

Oddly enough, when I got back home and popped it into my PS2 I was initially very underwhelmed. The fixed camera angles, the manual switch between third and first person perspective when shooting, Snake's vulnerability when detected by the enemy and the non-fatal rounds in the M9 Beretta you start off with, all created this odd and unexpected experience. I thought I was going to be playing a game of instant gratification where I fought enemies out in the open. However, this game was the complete opposite; I guess I should have read the small print over the game's title on the cover:TacticalEspionageAction. However, after I got the hang of the mechanics and gameplay, I came to love it. To this day, I can play the Tanker Chapter over and over again. Completing this chapter in as little time as possible, with as little detections as possible is a really fun challenge. I love taking out an enemy sentry from a distance with a single well placed shot from the M9 and sneaking up behind them to hold them up for their dog-tags.Freeze!

The main aspects of MGS:2 which changed the way I viewed games were the characters and the voice acting. David Hater did a really good job of creating a voice which made Snake come across as tough, but not in an overly mancho sort of way; it's gruffy, but low. It's got to bethecoolest voice I've ever heard. The voice acting for the other characters such as Olga Gurlukovich, Liquid Ocelot, Otacon and Solidus Snake (among others) was also very good. Regarding Olga, I love the authentic Russian accent she has. The subtle attention to detail such as assuring that the characters have the appropriate accents, all help to create a damn good illusion: A fictional story set in a realistic world in the 21st Century. What I found really interesting about Snake was that he was a "Son" (clone) of Big Boss. When I found out that he was a clone, it changed the way I thought of him. It made me wonder how he thought of himself; what he thought of the fact that he was created for the sole purpose of fighting. I also just found it to be plane strange; I mean think about it: He's a clone! He was created in a test tube! Here I thought that my avatar was an ordinary guy and he happens to be a clone of some other guy who's said to have died eons ago. I don't know how other people reacted to this revelation, but it was quite shocking to me. Aside from this, I also like Snake because he's a badass dude. Plain and simple. Here you have this one guy who's willing and able to infiltrate heavily guarded perimeters on his own with the burden of procuring weapons for his defenseon site. If that's not badass, I don't know what is.

One thing I really hated about this game (note my use of the past tense:hated) was Raiden. I bet you saw this coming. However, I wouldn't say that I hated Raiden himself; he wasn'tthatbad. I simply hated the fact that he wasn't Snake. After completing the Tanker Chapter, I expected to continue the game with Snake, but instead I get Raiden. Like I said, I've got nothing against Raiden, but he's not nearly as cool as Snake (Who is?). Nothing peculiar or cool about the sound of his voice, nothing out of the ordinary about his origin (he's not a clone) and worst of all, he had no field experience at that point. All I could say to myself when I realized that I'd be playing with him instead of Snake wasDAMN!

BluRayHiDef

Bravo, sir! Bravo! :P

Bill_Brasky_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bill_Brasky_01
Member since 2010 • 97 Posts
The Atari pretty much introduced me to gaming along with my dad's old IBM computer back in the early 1980s. Gotta love them old 1980s IBM computer stuff
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

i caught on to gaming VERY young. I was in preschool when my family got an Atari 2600. I loved playing that with my brothers (especially Combat). and we also had an old Apple II (black and green screen) and I played games on that all the time too. I guess I really got hooked when one of my friends got a Sega Genesis (like 1991 or so) , so the next year or so I got a Genesis for christmas (with Sonic 1 of course) and the rest is history....

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

I started gaming on my bros Atari 2600. At that time it was purely out of boredom. I wasnt playing for fun, but would just play when there was nothing better to do. It wasnt until I started going to arcades and playing the NES that I really became a gamer. It was on from there. Games just seemed to get better and better for years to come. Then things started to seem stale at one point. Not sure if it was the games or just me, but I had my fill. Then luckily MGS3 and Ninja Gaiden came along and brought me back into the fold.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

BluRayHiDef

Great post, one of my all time favorite games. Even when I play it now it still seems ahead of its time.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Super Mario Bros.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

sandbox3d

Great post, one of my all time favorite games. Even when I play it now it still seems ahead of its time.

To be honest, that post is a copy of one of my blogs. Not many people have read it, so I decided to post it here.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

my 1st reaction when seeing this was ''i cant be stuffed reading this novel'' then MGS caught my eye as i was scrolling down so i read it all and i must say well done sir well done i'm glad you were hooked in by possibley the greatest game franchise ever and by the greatest game hero ever ( i like gordon alot too but snake deserved to win in my opinion) . I was btw hooked in in a very similiar way by that being my brother and i went halves in getting a PS1 lol and he bought some sports games and racing ones but wanted a game where i could shoot people as i wasnt into sports at the time and had just watched predator lol so i picked up MGS the 1st one for play station and i was instantly taken in by it it wasnt exactly wat i wanted but it was better than that and to this day i have kept all my old MGS games and the consoles i used to play them
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

When I was in preschool one of the kids had a Game Boy and and I thought it was cool. I asked my mom to buy me one and eventually I got a Game Boy with Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins and Tetris. Love for gaming started then :) Soon after that I got a Sega Genesis and SNES.

redangelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 redangelus
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts

GoldenAxe. As part of a campaign to promote computer science there were some classes in my hometown and my godmother worked there. My father took me there after the classes was over and there i discovered GoldenAxe... and i didn't want go go home...ever...

So that's how i got hooked up :D.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

Got an n64 for Christmas when video games weren't all so massive.

I was awful at it, but I just played the first level of goldeneye over and over and over and over :P

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

The Nintendo 64 got me into gaming but Age of Empires really sucked me into gaming.

my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

BluRayHiDef

I agree, but with less words.

I actually got started on Centipede and Donkey Kong before Super Mario Bros., but it wasn't until I got my NES that I truly became a gamer. I played the S#$T out of that game. I broke the metaphorical bones in half and sucked out the marrow. I remember learning my first cheats, easter eggs and hidden areas on that game. Remeber the infinite 1-up trick with the turtle on the stairs? Or knowing exactly how to always get the max points on the flag jump or how to warp or negative world?

Ahh... the nostalgia is starting to flow like nasal drippings!

Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts

Battlefield 2. Got me interested in a new GPU and RAM. Plague started from there.... So very happy it happened.

IceBlazerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 IceBlazerX
Member since 2010 • 3286 Posts

astrozombie37
Same on my side.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#35 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
When I was 2 years old, there was this game I liked on the computer. I would try to play it whenever I could. My interest in gaming took off ever since.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Boredom. Games provide hours of unlimited fun.
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JasonDarksavior

I was awful at it, but I just played the first level of goldeneye over and over and over and over :P

Overlord93
Haha. I couldn't get past the missions in Goldeneye but I remember the tank mission very well.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

It was my Dad who got me into gaming when I was about two. He'd let me play on his Amiga and I loved it. Since then I always had an interest in games... I started young :P

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

JasonDarksavior
Haha. I couldn't get past the missions in Goldeneye but I remember the tank mission very well.

:P it was at this point that I thought a sniper rifle was pronounced a "snipper riffle"
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JasonDarksavior
[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"][QUOTE="Overlord93"]

Overlord93

:P it was at this point that I thought a sniper rifle was pronounced a "snipper riffle"

Hehe, so many years ago.
LIONHEART-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LIONHEART-_-
Member since 2010 • 2520 Posts

I don't know. Since 3 years old I started playing some old PC Games. It's trapped in my system, I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
deactivated-6016e81e8e30f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
Member since 2009 • 12955 Posts
My brother when I was 5-ish. Gave me Pokemon Blue to play with and the seedling was planted. Aaand I just realized that it came out 12 years ago. Gives me a sudden sense of feeling old(er) thinking about it.
Avatar image for SuprmanLuvHandl
SuprmanLuvHandl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SuprmanLuvHandl
Member since 2010 • 989 Posts

My parents bought me an SNES. I don't think I even asked for it, it was just there one day and I played Super Mario World for hours

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Playing NES and SNES back when I was probably just 4 or 5 years old. Also watched my oldest brother play NES/SNES games back in the day as well.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

I believe the first game I ever touched was some Sonic game on my friends Sega console when I was 4 or 5 or so. Another friend of mine had a SNES. Oh, good times when we turned off the sound and gamed in silence because his parents didn't want us to play games all day. My first console was a Nintendo 64, which I got for my 7th birthday. It still works, I might plug it in and try playing it someday :)

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Pokemon Red, I got it for my 7th birthday. I'd played games before on the PC, but this was different. I had my own Gameboy from that moment, and no one else would want or need to use it, so I played it to my heart's content.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Hmm.. My parents baught me a SNES and Sega Master System. Good times ensued...

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

Well I first playd Super Mario Bros3 on the SNES bu I wasn't a 'gamer'.

What really got me into gaming was a few simultanious events of 1998 Pokemon being Released on the Gameboy as well as Spyro, Crash and Orcarina of Time at the same time really launched me into it.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kairikh

Well I first playd Super Mario Bros3 on the SNES bu I wasn't a 'gamer'.

What really got me into gaming was a few simultanious events of 1998 Pokemon being Released on the Gameboy as well as Spyro, Crash and Orcarina of Time at the same time really launched me into it.

MattDistillery
i would have to agree, spyro, crash, and croc introduced me to PS1
EzekyleAbadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 EzekyleAbadon
Member since 2010 • 1391 Posts

Apart from the occasional coin-op games and Super Mario Bros. I really started gaming with Pokemon Blue when I was 7 years old, on a blue Gameboy pocket if I remember correctly...