What game amazed you as a kid?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tricksta189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tricksta189
Member since 2006 • 342 Posts

When I got my n64 bundled with Super Mario 64 and first played it..wow...haven't had that experience since!

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I dunno if this counts given I was 14 at the time but both Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VIII amazed me back when they were new. The former for the movie-like suspense quality it projected and the latter for how gorgoeus and immense the quest was.

xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

Hm....when I was younger and played The Legend of Dragoon for the first time it blew my mind. I would sit for hours upon hours playing it.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Sonic the hedgehog, I loved everything about it as a kid(still do); the bright colours, characters and fantastic sense of speed.

BackInCrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 BackInCrack
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts

GTA. Just because of the freedom in such a huge game world...

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Majora's Mask, loved the weird atmosphere.
FFIX: Oh, well... Ever since I saw Dr Tot standing on his stairs in a gaming magazine I've loved FFIX. It truly was love at first sight. It's the best!

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

The game that made the biggest impact on me when i was a kid was Landstalker for the Genesis. A great isometric action RPG!

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

There have been many games that have amazed me when I was younger, however one that stands out was Super mario World. I grew up in the NES era and seeing Mario with improved graphics and crazy new levels like blew my mind as a youngster.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
The first time I saw Super Mario Brothers was an arcade cabinet at a theme park called Bay Beach. I had only one quarter and made it to world 1-2. I had never seen anything even close to this game and when I found out it was on Ninendo I began asking my parents for one.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
The mortal kombat games, first in the arcade then for home consoles.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#11 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

I remember the first PS2 games amazed me, even to this day they have good graphics. Seeing games like Timesplitters 1 and Tekken Tag in magazines made me really hyped for the system.

The GBA also really amazed me before it came out, because the graphics were so good. I remember going on Nintendo's site and seeing the handheld for the first time, thinking "WOAH, SHOULDER BUTTONS?!"

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I was kid when Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, and Space Invaders amazed me.
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#13 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

When i was a kid i loved super metroid and super mario all stars, when i got older metal gear solid really impressed me.

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

Games that amazed me the most....Sonic 1, Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time, SMario 64, Sonic and Knuckles mainly for the 'lock on technology' lol, Strider, MK1 on the MS, bunch of arcade games, GTA3, FF4-8, Pokemon gameboy games and probably some more I cant think of right now

Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

Deffinently Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, and Spyro (the first one of course) on the PS1Those two games made me the happiest kid.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

Double Dragon series - the fighting was addicting.

Super Mario 3 - the total upgrade from 1 and 2 was immense.

Super Mario World - the worlds were huge and flying was an excellent release.

Super Mario 64 - the freedom in that game was awesome. Also, this was one of the first Mario games to go 3D.

Final Fantasy 7 - the cutscenes and characters held my heart.

Pokemon Blue/Red - the beginnning of a very addicting series.

Pokemon Silver/Gold - only improvements were made to the series in these games and the night and day option was all win.

All of these games took place from age of about 6-15.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

as a kid many games amazed me, but none more then Star Control 2 for the PC/3DO, that game is amazing, it's the game that inspired the mass effect series and for 1992 standards it was amazing (hell who am I kidding it's still amazing)

one of the greatest WRPG's ever made

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

The first game that really impressed me was probably Sonic and later Donkey Kong Country. NES was fun, but it didn't have spectacular (well, atelast in my eyes) graphics, neither did the older Spectrum ZX. I didn't play Mortal Kombat in the arcades and the SNES version didn't impress me and I also didn't play any big PC games like Doom at the time. When the N64 came out, I was still a kid and it did impress me, but when I got Mario 64 the game didn't impress me too much. At the time I also discovered that PC games looked way better and I was amazed by Test Drive 5 (yeah :P ). I was, however, impressed by Donkey Kong 64, which came with the memory expansion and looked amazing for a N64 game. But Quake 3 on the PC amazed me too and Serious Sam looked damn good too. Sadly, I missed out on the Dreamcast because I was a Nintendo fan at the time. I wasn't a kid anymore afterwards, but games that amazed me were still comming out. The last one was probably Crysis (due to graphics, of course) and to a lesser degree Super Mario Galaxy (because it looked great for a Wii game).

midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

Around early-mid teens I was amazed by the N64. Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 in particular just astounded me, the former being the first (and last) time a game world felt alive when I played it. MK64 had such great graphics (at the time), art design and especially music that I probably spent as much time taking in the details and thinking how amazing it all was than I actually spent paying attention to how I was racing. The N64 Rainbow Road track with the ace music and cool neon light style pictures suspended in space is probably my most nostalgic gaming memory.

FF7 deserves a mention as well as I'd never played such a game before, let alone one that absorbed you in as much as it did, I played that probably a year or so afterwards.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

For me it was Metal Gear Solid, the story was simply awesome and spawned such a great series thus after. Also Super Mario Brothers 3 blew me away.

Vault_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Vault_Monkey
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

The Jak and Daxter series...still does infact. Aww, I have so many fond and frustrating memories of those games.

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

^Nice av...

Super Mario World...what? you can go anywhere on the map? You can go back to other levels???

Doom. Scary and hard.

Mortal Kombat....how is this legal????

ruythalacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 326

#23 ruythalacker
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts

Zelda II: Link to the past was a great game. Monkey Island 1 and 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, sadly this kind of adventure games are basically dead... The Wing Commander series was wonderfull asweel, but also another dead kind of games.... but hey, we have shooters now....

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
As a kid gaming was way better!! It must have been a N64 game, maybe Mario Party, Turok or Pokemon Stadium.
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

it was around 02 when i started to get commen sense and know what good games were and around that time i got FFX. the game blew my mind is still the best game ive ever played even to this day

F0URZ3R0TW0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 F0URZ3R0TW0
Member since 2010 • 182 Posts

Majora's mask had some scary moments for me when I was little.

cronomagus36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 cronomagus36
Member since 2009 • 12663 Posts

I've loved the Pokemon games as a kid and to this day, especially Pokemon Gold and Sapphire.

sydstoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sydstoner
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

definitely games in the arcades. they were so much superior to home systems back in the day.

the first time i saw segas sprite scaling on games like hang on, afterburner and especially outrun, i'll never forget. (80's)

truely draw dropping at the time

also the first time i saw streetfighter 2 in an arcade was pretty amazing. (early 90's)

tricksta189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tricksta189
Member since 2006 • 342 Posts

I've loved the Pokemon games as a kid and to this day, especially Pokemon Gold and Sapphire.

cronomagus36

Good call on Pokemon..I would play Red/Blue/Yellow non-stop as a kid, but haven't played any since. I wouldn't mind playing some of the new ones, but there are just too many new pokemon :cry:

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheTrueMagusX1

definitely games in the arcades. they were so much superior to home systems back in the day.

the first time i saw segas sprite scaling on games like hang on, afterburner and especially outrun, i'll never forget. (80's)

truely draw dropping at the time

also the first time i saw streetfighter 2 in an arcade was pretty amazing. (early 90's)

sydstoner

Yeah I remember seeing SFII in the arcades as well. I remember being a kid that just sort of played Beat em ups, but one day I see all these teen agers around one machine. I went to it and saw a Sumo(E Honda) beating up Chun LI, and it piqued my curiousity. I was able to play it and boy did it blow my mind.

Avatar image for futurama-banana
futurama-banana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 futurama-banana
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

donkey kong on gameboy

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#32 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

as a kid many games amazed me, but none more then Star Control 2 for the PC/3DO, that game is amazing, it's the game that inspired the mass effect series and for 1992 standards it was amazing (hell who am I kidding it's still amazing)

one of the greatest WRPG's ever made

ohthemanatee
I agree star control 2 is still amazing!
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

It seemed like anytime I got a new console, I was completely amazed by the first game I played.

I would have to say though, at the time, I was completely floored the first time I played GTA 3. Never was I given so much freedom in a game.

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

I don't know its hard to say. Many games have amazed me. I'd have to say the first game I ever saw that introduced me to gaming in 1989 Super Mario Bros. for the NES. NES had a huuuugggeee impact on me because it was the first console I ever owned like many on this forum probably. I'd say the first game that actually amazed me in 3D was Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. It was a huge leap in graphics at the time.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

as a kid nothing had amazed me more than seeing ridge racer in the arcdes in 1994/1995? and also virtua striker 2 in 1998 arcdes. graphics beyond what I could believe then.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

The game that amazed me was SFII. I was at a fair back in 87 or 88. I was 10 years old. This game seemed sooo next level to me. the characters seemed so lifelike. And the game had S-I-X buttons and a joystick for each side! You have no idea how huge that was at the time. I couldn't begin to imagine why a game needed six buttons. TBH, that made me scared to play it initially. Most games up until that time in arcades were just a joystick and a fire/shoot button.

SFII blew me away.

mamagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 mamagod
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

Battletoads. My godmothers brother had a gaming lair set up in the basement of his parents house, so my brothers and I went and played Battletoads with him. Trying to beat the game on 2-player mode was the biggest mistake I've ever made.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

The game that amazed me was SFII. I was at a fair back in 87 or 88. I was 10 years old. This game seemed sooo next level to me. the characters seemed so lifelike. And the game had S-I-X buttons and a joystick for each side! You have no idea how huge that was at the time. I couldn't begin to imagine why a game needed six buttons. TBH, that made me scared to play it initially. Most games up until that time in arcades were just a joystick and a fire/shoot button.

SFII blew me away.

sayyy-gaa

SFII came out in 1991, though.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="sayyy-gaa"]

SFII blew me away.

nameless12345

He might be thinking of the Original Street Fighter as that came out in 1987. So I think it might be a mix up!

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

Playing Commodore 64 for the first time (I think the first game I tried on it was Spy vs. Spy). Games in colour! WOW!!

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#41 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

The arcade that impressed me the most as a kid was Mat Mania because it was such a great representation of wrestling at the time and you only needed two buttons to do all the moves. And at home, Pitfall 2 for the Atari was pretty damn amazing.

Games like Asteroids, Pac-Man and Zazzon were great but Mat Mania and Pitfall 2 seemed amazing.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

i use to think halo was the coolest game ever.. now i really don't like it so much because of the weird story.

jlaing2607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jlaing2607
Member since 2004 • 406 Posts
Mario World on SNES just cuz the game play was so different compared to the other Mario games.
RaZoR_RaiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 RaZoR_RaiN
Member since 2009 • 489 Posts

There's a few that spring to mind... Here's a couple that left a marked impression.

- The Last Ninja - Commodore 64

This game is the one that got me into gaming. Truly amazing in it's time.

- Mortal Kombat - Mega Drive

MK was a deadset jaw dropper. I was absolutely gobsmacked the first time I saw a fatality!

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

There was a game on the Amiga called Shodaw of the Beast (1989), which when I first saw it moving stunned me. It had multiple layers of parallax scrolling and for the time was simply jaw dropping.

RKOkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RKOkyle
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
the three first spyro games on the ps1
sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

[QUOTE="sayyy-gaa"]

SFII blew me away.

nameless12345

Dude! Never let facts get in the way of a good story. My bad. I got the year wrong. Guess I was 14 and not 11!

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Legend of Zelda on NES : 1st game that I beat.

XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#49 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

Pokemon Blue & Silver. Honestly, they were two of the best games that I've ever played.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

When I got my n64 bundled with Super Mario 64 and first played it..wow...haven't had that experience since!

tricksta189
Same for me.