Washington post hails Nintendo as star of E3

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

Funny how the perception among the mainstream press is so blatantly in Nintendo's favor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/11/AR2007071102149.html

Game On
Nintendo Is Star of E3 Show as Rivals Scramble to Catch Up

By Mike Musgrove
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 12, 2007; Page D01

SANTA MONICA, Calif., July 11 -- For many analysts and fans, Nintendo was something of an afterthought at the video game industry's annual E3 trade show in recent years.

But after a blockbuster launch of its Wii console and its ongoing dominance in the portable game market with its mobile DS handheld game console, the company that brought the world Mario and Zelda is now the company that others are trying to catch.

The annual Electronic Entertainment Expo, commonly known as E3, takes place this week in Santa Monica, Calif. The summit, which in the past has had tens-of-thousands of participants, was scaled back this year and is an opportunity for game makers and industry leaders to announce their latest technology and products.

Nintendo's competitors, meanwhile, are playing an expensive round of brinksmanship with each other to win back some of the attention. This week Sony cut the price on its PlayStation 3 console by $100. Microsoft recently announced an expanded warranty program for the Xbox 360 console, which could cost the company more than $1 billion.

Neither Microsoft nor Sony is making money in the game industry, since both are selling their consoles at below cost in their attempt to boost interest. Nintendo, meanwhile, which introduced the $249 Wii six months ago, can barely keep up with demand for the profitable product.

Microsoft and Sony even scaled back their annual parties at the E3 show. In years past, Microsoft held events at such glamorous Los Angeles venues as the Orpheum Theater, the Shrine Auditorium and Grauman's Chinese Theater. This year, its event was at a Santa Monica high school. Sony, which previously held events that featured such concert acts as Macy Gray and Beck, settled for a low-key sushi shindig this year.

Nintendo says it is not paying a lot of attention to Sony or Microsoft.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, said the bigger question was how to get the non-gamers of the world interested in Nintendo systems.

"There are 24 hours in every day, and only a small time is available for leisure," he said at a news conference Wednesday. "We intend to steal more of that time for video games."

Fils-Aime, as expected, showed off some more Mario and Zelda game titles, the franchises for which Nintendo is most famous. His focus, however, was on how Nintendo products have won fans among senior citizens and women at levels well above the norm in the young-male-dominated industry.

For years, as the video game industry battled for dominance in the living room, the best graphics typically beat the competition. The popularity of the Wii's motion-detecting controllers has changed that notion, popularizing the life-like simulation of games, not their high-end computing aspect.

As a result, game companies are now trying to think of new ways to get players feeling like they are inside the game, designing realistic add-ons.

The Wii balance board, for example, lets players lean one way or another to control their game characters. The board is to be part of Wii Fit, the fitness program that Nintendo has in the works, illustrating that the "Wii workout" craze among those trying to get in shape by swinging fake rackets has only just begun.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#2 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

This is the same effect that a super bowl winning team has on people... all of a sudden fans come out of the woodwork

sounds like Washington Post is a front runner

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
*blink* Wow, if you read that you wouldn't even have known that Microsoft and Sony were at E3. Still I suppose it wasn't really that long ago that the same kind of articles were being written about Sony.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I really like the part where they make it sound as if only MS and Sony had scaled down their press conference...especially by referencing the location of Sony's Killzone conference, and not the actual press conference.
Korn_Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Korn_Wallace
Member since 2002 • 1950 Posts
Just goes to show why Nintendo focused so much on this "casual", "Wii" branded market instead of the traditional Nintendo hardcore during their conference. They want to continue developing their brand with this market and the "casual" media eats stuff like WiiFitness up. The articledoes seem unfair to Sony and Microsoft, though. They've have shown some great games this E3.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Its like bizarro world when you read normal news media reports about E3. I knew that Nintendo conference was going to get huge praise from the non gaming press, its going to get a ton of attention. WiiFit will be a huge "game", it will sell like mad and will be a media darling. Its something they could relate to, its not one of those complex games where you have to push buttons and do things, god forbid games do that.

Good for them... now what about us. What happends after Mario Kart hits, what then?

dvader654
Dvader, we're the middle child in the situation, sitting between the new gamers, and the Nintendo Franchise diehards. I hope they make some time for us soon. Seriously, it's pretty bad when I was tremendously excited about Victorious Boxers today. I guess almost any decent 3rd party game will dp that for me now, because frankly there aren't many to be found on the "Upcoming Releases" list.
monkey27272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 monkey27272
Member since 2004 • 534 Posts

That's great that nintendo has reached so many people, but as a gamer i thought they were lacking a bit on games i would play.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Good for them... now what about us. What happends after Mario Kart hits, what then?dvader654
There are other media events later on in the year for them to make announcements.

I really don't feel like Nintendo's 'turning their back on us' as much as others are feeling, since on the Wii alone, I'm seeing about another 6-10 games that I'll want to get between now and the end of the year at least, if not more depending on how some of these titles pan out, meaning that I could have upwards of 20+ games within the system's first year.

For me, that's nothing to scoff at.

Clan_Crushbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Clan_Crushbone
Member since 2007 • 1501 Posts

Just goes to show why Nintendo focused so much on this "casual", "Wii" branded market instead of the traditional Nintendo hardcore during their conference. They want to continue developing their brand with this market and the "casual" media eats stuff like WiiFitness up. The articledoes seem unfair to Sony and Microsoft, though. They've have shown some great games this E3.Korn_Wallace

My thoughts exactly. Couldnt have said it better myself.

Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts
Don't diss Nintendo. Wii Fit is going to rock. I need a new chop board to replace my worn out one in the kitchen.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Robio_basic

Mario Kart hits, what then?

dvader654

There's enough coming from Nintendo that will keep me satisfied. Not to mention 3rd parties are finally about to kick it up now that they've had a full year to develop. Square-Enix and Sega have a couple in the pipe, Ubisoft is starting to figure it out, and the all-important Rygar is in development. A lot of 3rd parties didn't even go to E3 so they'll be making their announcements on their own schedule.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jedigemini
[QUOTE="Skylock00"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Good for them... now what about us. What happends after Mario Kart hits, what then?dvader654

There are other media events later on in the year for them to make announcements.

I really don't feel like Nintendo's 'turning their back on us' as much as others are feeling, since on the Wii alone, I'm seeing about another 6-10 games that I'll want to get between now and the end of the year at least, if not more depending on how some of these titles pan out, meaning that I could have upwards of 20+ games within the system's first year.

This year they are set but they just used up every major franchise they have. Nintendo always takes time with their big games, we see their new games years and years in advance. We have known about Mario and Metroid for over2 years now. So what will they give us next year if none of the big guns are ready to go. A Zelda game isnt going to pop out of no where. Is there a Pikmin game coming, even that is usually annouce way early.

Everything has come out or is coming out very soon, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, Kart, FE, Paper Mario. Whats next cause I see no games from any of those franchises coming out later next year, what exactly will we be playing from Nintendo.

It's pretty surprising to me that Mario Kart Wii pretty much came out of nowhere and is already slated for a Q1 2008 release... which goes to show there's a lot going behind the scenes that we dont know about as I'm sure this games been under development for some time
Korn_Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Korn_Wallace
Member since 2002 • 1950 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Good for them... now what about us. What happends after Mario Kart hits, what then?dvader654

This year they are set but they just used up every major franchise they have. Nintendo always takes time with their big games, we see their new games years and years in advance. We have known about Mario and Metroid for over2 years now. So what will they give us next year if none of the big guns are ready to go. A Zelda game isnt going to pop out of no where. Is there a Pikmin game coming, even that is usually annouce way early.

Everything has come out or is coming out very soon, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, Kart, FE, Paper Mario. Whats next cause I see no games from any of those franchises coming out later next year, what exactly will we be playing from Nintendo.

That's a very valid question. Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, F-Zero? It would be nice to see these and other newgames at this years E3 to show what they've got past what we know already. But, I think like it's been said, there's other industry conferences and events still to come.

Plus, I think E3's relevance, in regards to future game announcements, has diminished somewhat because of the new format. Nintendo and Microsoft haven't announced much of what we already know past this year. Sony has shown a lot more titles deeper in their release schedule, but they had to come out with everything they've got. Perhaps because of E3's greater focus now on the media and vendors and dimished focus on E3's unspoken aspect of catering to the hardcore fan.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Skylock00

dvader654

We don't know if they don't have any other big guns ready to go yet. As I said, there are other media events they have later on in the year. Just like they didn't annoucne all the guns they were pulling at the press conference at E3 last year (Smash Bros was during E3, but it wasn't during the press conference, IIRC).

Furthermore, I don't feel like we have a huge number of big game announcements from any of the big three beyond early 2008, so why give Nintendo particular negativity on the matter?

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts
What about originality? What is going to sustain the Wii through 2008? A new Zelda? Metroid? Really, I'm concerned. Nintendo has been relying on their main franchises for far, far too long.
jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jedigemini
What about originality? What is going to sustain the Wii through 2008? A new Zelda? Metroid? Really, I'm concerned. Nintendo has been relying on their main franchises for far, far too long. Dutch_Mix
WiiFit looks pretty original to me, and it will probably sell better than all of those games... looking at Nintendo's sales, I don't think there's much reason for concern.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dutch_Mix

[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]What about originality? What is going to sustain the Wii through 2008? A new Zelda? Metroid? Really, I'm concerned. Nintendo has been relying on their main franchises for far, far too long. jedigemini
WiiFit looks pretty original to me, and it will probably sell better than all of those games... looking at Nintendo's sales, I don't think there's much reason for concern.

I'm talking about original games. You know, with stories and characters. :P

So basically, Nintendo can coast through 08' on the strength of their 07' line-up?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skylock00

So basically, Nintendo can coast through 08' on the strength of their 07' line-up?

Dutch_Mix
No one is saying that. What I'm saying is that I don't really have a strong sense of a heavy hitting, multi-title line up in '08 from any of the big three thus far that I'm terribly interested in, so I don't see why people are as negative about Nintendo as they are in this regard.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

Skylock00

No one is saying that. What I'm saying is that I don't really have a strong sense of a heavy hitting, multi-title line up in '08 from any of the big three thus far that I'm terribly interested in, so I don't see why people are as negative about Nintendo as they are in this regard.

Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Nintendo has a track record of constantly relying on their main franchises to move their console. With pretty much all of their big guns firing in 2007, what can we expect in 2008?

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Robio_basic

Well there may not be a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid on the horizon, but there's more to Nintendo than just the big 3. If you want a list of first party games that could still come out in 2008 besides Mario Kart here's a rundown:

• Animal Crossing
  • Paper Mario
  • Pikimin
  • Pilot Wings
  • A Yoshi specific game
  • Kid Icarus - we all know it's coming

And while not likely, I don't think it's entirely impossible for a Wii specific Zelda to show up at the end of '08. And who knows maybe a new original franchise. It happend with Pikimin last gen. Regardless, there's so much time for announcements for 2008 games that it's ridiculous to be worrying about it right now.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lockedge

Well there may not be a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid on the horizon, but there's more to Nintendo than just the big 3. If you want a list of first party games that could still come out in 2008 besides Mario Kart here's a rundown:

• Animal Crossing
  • Paper Mario
  • Pikimin
  • Pilot Wings
  • A Yoshi specific game

And while not likely, I don't think it's entirely impossible for a Wii specific Zelda to show up at the end of '08. And who knows maybe a new original franchise. It happend with Pikimin last gen. Regardless, there's so much time for announcements for 2008 games that it's ridiculous to be worrying about it right now.

Robio_basic

The thing is, everyone knows what Nintendo brings to the table. I'm getting MarioKart. I'm getting Fire Emblem. I'm Getting Metroid and Galaxies.

I want the Wii to be a successful system, game-wise, and for that to happen Nintendo needs solid 3rd party support, and I want to support those 3rd parties that decide to release quality games on the Wii. The catch is, I haven't been told of many. There's a select few to be had, and when the 360 has about 8 potential Game of the Year candidates coming out from now until March, it's pretty depressing to see that Nitnendo isn't doing much to say 'Don't buy another system to get the games you feel aren't on our system, because here they are".

Nintendo's resting on their laurels in terms of serving their regular gamers, only providing their 1st and 2nd party stuff in their conference, and skipping past everything else, basically.

Animal Crossing would be nice. I could care less about Pikmin. Pilot Wings would be nice. Kid Icarus would rock my socks.

But how about nailing down some RPG games like Disgaea and Shadow Hearts? Or a quality FPS or two? How about going to developers and publishers who weren't close partners with Nintendo last gen, and making their best efforts to get them to make some games for the Wii?

I don't want to have to buy Nintendo games. That won't do anything to help Nintendo except put money in their pocket. 3rd party support is more important, and it's why they lagged behind the last two generations.

Nintendo should be providing us with a reason to stick with their system, as well as giving people a reason to purchase it. Right now, only owning a Wii and a PC is not getting me a near-complete gaming experience. I'll probably need to buy another console, and that shouldn't be happening so quickly into the generation.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dutch_Mix

• Animal Crossing
  • Paper Mario
  • Pikimin
  • Pilot Wings
  • A Yoshi specific game

Robio_basic

While all of those games you mentioned will probably be stellar, I have to wonder how well they're going to sell. We all know Animal Crossing is going to sell, but how about another Pikmin and Paper Mario? These titles aren't going to be nearly as popular as a new Zelda or SSB. Pilot Wings and Kid Icarus? How recognizable do you think these titles are going to be? Honestly I can't imagine a kid walking by a Nintendo Wii and thinking, "Man, I want a new Kid Icarus or Pilotwings game." Also, when was the last time Yoshi had his own console game? We know he's had success on the DS, but that doesn't always translate to success on a console.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Skylock00
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]

• Animal Crossing
  • Paper Mario
  • Pikimin
  • Pilot Wings
  • A Yoshi specific game

Dutch_Mix

While all of those games you mentioned will probably be stellar, I have to wonder how well they're going to sell. We all know Animal Crossing is going to sell, but how about another Pikmin and Paper Mario? These titles aren't going to be nearly as popular as a new Zelda or SSB. Pilot Wings and Kid Icarus? How recognizable do you think these titles are going to be? Honestly I can't imagine a kid walking by a Nintendo Wii and thinking, "Man, I want a new Kid Icarus or Pilotwings game." Also, when was the last time Yoshi had his own console game? We know he's had success on the DS, but that doesn't always translate to success on a console.

So, wait, I don't get what your issue is here:

On one hand, you and others are griping about Nintendo not having much shown post early '08 in terms of strong titles for more traditional gamers.

On the other, you then express concerns about how well the games are going to sell.

The latter point is completely irrelevent to the first point. If there are high quality games on the platform, and they are well made and promoted...and they still don't sell well? That's not the fault of Nintendo, so I don't get the problem here. You already said that the games mentioned (if they actually are in development) are probably going to be stellar, which is what I thought you and others were more worried about, not simply how well they might sell (which is really hard to gauge at this time).

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"][QUOTE="Robio_basic"]

• Animal Crossing
  • Paper Mario
  • Pikimin
  • Pilot Wings
  • A Yoshi specific game

Skylock00

So, wait, I don't get what your issue is here:

On one hand, you and others are griping about Nintendo not having much shown post early '08 in terms of strong titles for more traditional gamers.

On the other, you then express concerns about how well the games are going to sell.

The latter point is completely irrelevent to the first point. If there are high quality games on the platform, and they are well made and promoted...and they still don't sell well? That's not the fault of Nintendo, so I don't get the problem here. You already said that the games mentioned (if they actually are in development) are probably going to be stellar, which is what I thought you and others were more worried about, not simply how well they might sell (which is really hard to gauge at this time).

How hard is to gauge which titles are going to sell? Surely it's easy to see which games sell and which games don't on Nintendo's consoles. Mario, Zelda, Metroid = Win. Everything else...? Not so much.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Skylock00

How hard is to gauge which titles are going to sell? Surely it's easy to see which games sell and which games don't on Nintendo's consoles. Mario, Zelda, Metroid = Win. Everything else...? Not so much.Dutch_Mix

Um, it's not that easy, especailly since one has to factor in other variables that could cause some games to perform well.

Furthermore, just because a game doesn't sell as well as Mario doesn't mean that it's not successful.

And lastly, you still haven't recognzied that worrying about how well games will sell has nothing to do with worrying about Nintendo/other companies delivering quality games in the next year.

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts

Good for them... now what about us. What happends after Mario Kart hits, what then?

dvader654

If, and this is a big IF, Nintendo do decide to crap on us then you sell your Wii and play your 360 or PS3 and get on with your life. Quite frankly I'm sick of this petty moaning, if you don't like the direction Nintendo is taking then don't buy their consoles, it's really that simple - Y' KNOW?

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

To be quite honest here, I can care less about the Wii at this point. And after their press conference, my mind hasn't changed one bit about it.

But the DS I do care. So as long as Nintendo delivers the DS goods, I'm game.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

I'll make this short and sweet: Perspective.

They're looking at what's relevant to them, and more relevant to society as a whole. We may be masturbating over the next FPS but nobody else in the world cares (unless they set it in a church). :P

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Its a joke article written by someone with a weak grasp of the industry (in addition to the factual error Teufelhun pointed out, contrary to the Post's claims, MS's announcement of the extended warranty was an effort to defuse a problem that has gotten increasing amounts of attention, not to win attention). However, the fact that many in the mainstream media pawn off coverage of the videogame industry to tech writers (irrespective of whether or not said writers are gamers) means that such poorly informed, skewed articles are the rule rather than the exception.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I'll make this short and sweet: Perspective.

They're looking at what's relevant to them, and more relevant to society as a whole. We may be masturbating over the next FPS but nobody else in the world cares (unless they set it in a church). :P

gaminggeek

:lol: You got a talent with a way with words! LOL!!!

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Wow, I just can't believe this article. Especially the part about the platform holders' presence in this "E3". Even though I don't live in the US, I had the impression that Washington Post was one of the nation's most trustworthy newspapers. Guess that videogames are not their strong suit, then.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

What about originality? What is going to sustain the Wii through 2008? A new Zelda? Metroid? Really, I'm concerned. Nintendo has been relying on their main franchises for far, far too long. Dutch_Mix

BINGO! I'm glad this is happening actually, maybe Nintendo will get off their but and actually put back strong R & D for new games. :)

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mantorok

[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]What about originality? What is going to sustain the Wii through 2008? A new Zelda? Metroid? Really, I'm concerned. Nintendo has been relying on their main franchises for far, far too long. Dencore

BINGO! I'm glad this is happening actually, maybe Nintendo will get off their but and actually put back strong R & D for new games. :)

They need to prove once again that they can raise the bar for certain types of games, they've been doing it from NES to N64, but they seem to have hit a brick wall. SMG, although looking amazing and extremely fun, does seem to indicate that they are finding it difficult to break the mould and the keep sticking with what they know, SSBB, MP, Zelda, Mario.

Games like Disaster made me think they'd woken up a bit, but now I'm not so sure they are putting the required effort in, particularly after seeing the Wii taking off like a rocket.

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mantorok
[QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

If, and this is a big IF, Nintendo do decide to crap on us then you sell your Wii and play your 360 or PS3 and get on with your life. Quite frankly I'm sick of this petty moaning, if you don't like the direction Nintendo is taking then don't buy their consoles, it's really that simple - Y' KNOW?

Lets say Nintendo does abandon all traditional games (which wont happen) you are saying you would just be ok with it. Some of the greatest franchises of all time are just discontinued and you will just shrug your sholders and say thats the way it is?? No.

The Wii sells to gamers and non gamers alike thats the way Nintendo made it, its not like they made the Wii and said don't buy this if you don't like mini games. No they gave us Zelda, Paper mario, promised us Metroid and Mario, excellent games that no one should miss out on. So Nintendo convinced me to buy their system cause of their games, all I ask is that I keep getting that quality. I am not saying to stop the mini-game stuff, keep doing it, just balance it out.

And I wasn't even critising just the Wii, its the Nintendo appraoch to games, they always start off strong with software support and it slows down after a few years, it happend with GC and it might happen here. I dont think the industry is changing, I dont even think the Wii will become some mini game playing machine, no there will be plenty of great games. Its just with Nintendo I hope they continue to focus on what they do best make games, the games we love. I have concern, call it moaning if you will but I see it as a valid concern when you look ahead to future Nintendo titles after Mario Kart.

Ok, I understand your point, but what is the release date of MK? 2008, probably end up being Q2 knowing Nintendo.

My question to you is do you find that Nintendo always gives you more than a 1 year window? I hadn't noticed that in previous gens, maybe I've forgotten I don't know, but I think if a company has given you a 9-12 month schedule it's not exactly the best cause for concern.

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Its like bizarro world when you read normal news media reports about E3. I knew that Nintendo conference was going to get huge praise from the non gaming press, its going to get a ton of attention. WiiFit will be a huge "game", it will sell like mad and will be a media darling. Its something they could relate to, its not one of those complex games where you have to push buttons and do things, god forbid games do that.

Lockedge

Dvader, we're the middle child in the situation, sitting between the new gamers, and the Nintendo Franchise diehards. I hope they make some time for us soon. Seriously, it's pretty bad when I was tremendously excited about Victorious Boxers today. I guess almost any decent 3rd party game will dp that for me now, because frankly there aren't many to be found on the "Upcoming Releases" list.

More us vs them talk? What happend to a gamer being a gamer. At lease thats the definition we got when Sony was controlling the show. Now Nintendo could be a market leader, and where reuslting to We / Them talk, as if sudently a gamer is split in to catgories again.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

How hard is to gauge which titles are going to sell? Surely it's easy to see which games sell and which games don't on Nintendo's consoles. Mario, Zelda, Metroid = Win. Everything else...? Not so much.Skylock00

Um, it's not that easy, especailly since one has to factor in other variables that could cause some games to perform well.

Furthermore, just because a game doesn't sell as well as Mario doesn't mean that it's not successful.

And lastly, you still haven't recognzied that worrying about how well games will sell has nothing to do with worrying about Nintendo/other companies delivering quality games in the next year.

Well, I think you'd be correct on that, Skylock, if we were talking about Microsoft or Sony. But the issue here is that if Nintendo doesn't have any big name franchises launching in 2008, they're definitely going to have problems selling software. They can't rely on their third-party support to pull them along like Microsoft can.

How would you define success? Surely you would agree that a game's sales are the defining factor behind whether a game is successful or not.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Skylock00

How would you define success? Surely you would agree that a game's sales are the defining factor behind whether a game is successful or not.

Dutch_Mix

For a company, success could simply means that a game's sales generate enough income for the publisher to have a profit by the end of the day, as far as I understood things. If a game only needs 80k sold to make a profit, then if it sells 100k, it's successful.

The point I'm making is that not all games have to sell as well as Mario/Metroid/Zelda to be deemed a success, since the number of sales that are required can vary from title to title. Case in point: Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I don't think the game broke the 500k mark by any stretch of the imagination, but Atlus deemed it enough of a success as a product to make a sequel for it.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lockedge
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

overfeind

More us vs them talk? What happend to a gamer being a gamer. At lease thats the definition we got when Sony was controlling the show. Now Nintendo could be a market leader, and where reuslting to We / Them talk, as if sudently a gamer is split in to catgories again.

What I'm trying to get at is that Nintendo focused on two things in their conference. Their main first party games, and stuff revolving around their new audience such as WiiFit.

Now, there are obviously people who own Wiis who were looking forward to some more 2nd party and 3rd party games. I'm one of those. It's not splitting it into categories, really. I just know some people with Wiis who only buy Nintendo games for it, and nothing else. I know a few with Wiis who have WiiSports and WiiPlay, and nothing else.

I'm not interested in a single group of games on the Wii, I'm interested in all the kinds of games coming to the Wii, and Nintendo once again skimped out on telling anyone what they're going to be offering other than the little they mentioned.

Gamers are gamers. That's simple to understand. It's just that gamers have varying interests, and Nintendo didn't cover many interests at all, or anything upcoming on the horizon.

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
[QUOTE="overfeind"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

Lockedge

What I'm trying to get at is that Nintendo focused on two things in their conference. Their main first party games, and stuff revolving around their new audience such as WiiFit.

Now, there are obviously people who own Wiis who were looking forward to some more 2nd party and 3rd party games. I'm one of those. It's not splitting it into categories, really. I just know some people with Wiis who only buy Nintendo games for it, and nothing else. I know a few with Wiis who have WiiSports and WiiPlay, and nothing else.

I'm not interested in a single group of games on the Wii, I'm interested in all the kinds of games coming to the Wii, and Nintendo once again skimped out on telling anyone what they're going to be offering other than the little they mentioned.

Gamers are gamers. That's simple to understand. It's just that gamers have varying interests, and Nintendo didn't cover many interests at all, or anything upcoming on the horizon.

I have to dissagre with you when you say that they didn't cover many intrest. They covered online, they covered, mainstream, and they covered hardcore (Nintendo Fan base) type games. Other companies had the time with in their own conferences to cover their Nintendo strategy and I think that happend. I think too many people focused on one product and for went the other products discussed on the floor. Its obvious were not going to get a Killzone or a Mass Effect on Nintendo's Wii no matter how far our imagination carries us, but we are still getting great games.

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

Nintendo now has a market capitalization that exceeds that of Sony. This means that investors believe that Nintendo has the potential to be the world's biggest consumer electronics company ... based soley on the gaming industry! How have they done this? Answer:by convincing investors that the gaming industry has huge untapped potential.

Nintendo has been talking about this expanding market for years now. Did you expect them to go back to making Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem,and Pikmin the focus of their press conference?What kind of message would that send to the people who have bought into this expanding market idea?

It's just that gamers have varying interests, and Nintendo didn't cover many interests at all, or anything upcoming on the horizon. Lockedge
Most of the big Nintendo franchises are still coming whether Nintendo chose to emphasize them or not. Asking for a release schedule extending more than a year is a bit of a joke.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lockedge
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="overfeind"][QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

overfeind

I have to dissagre with you when you say that they didn't cover many intrest. They covered online, they covered, mainstream, and they covered hardcore (Nintendo Fan base) type games. Other companies had the time with in their own conferences to cover their Nintendo strategy and I think that happend. I think too many people focused on one product and for went the other products discussed on the floor. Its obvious were not going to get a Killzone or a Mass Effect on Nintendo's Wii no matter how far our imagination carries us, but we are still getting great games.

Well, they KIND of covered online. They didn't really say much about it. I could care less about online though, as my connection sucks a lot.

I know we won't get a Mass Effect or a Killzone. The Wii lacks the processing power to support complex AI, and that's the bottom line that's preventing it from having games like that.

You're right, they did cover the mainstream and the Nintendo first party(and primary second party) game audience. Just like I said. Those two were focused on. Yes, other companies can do their own thing and announce their own supporting games, but I'm very cautious.

I see zounds of support for the other two systems in the conferences, and maybe 2 third party games in the Nintendo one. That doesn't make me feel very good. I'm fairly sure I remember you having a Gamecube, and you'd probably remember those long summers where there were no third party games(at least, good ones) being released. There'd be 2 or 3 games per month.

I don't want that. I think it's fair, as a consumer, to feel that Nintendo should not only be exanding the market and easing in new gamers, but also providing the current gamers MULTIPLE reasons to stick with them, and while Metroid, Mario Galaxies, and other first party games are nice, I don't want there to be an 8 month drought where Nintendo doesn't release any solid games, with little third party support bringing up the rear to help satisfy my gaming needs.

Third Party Support is imperative, and it just seems like Nintendo ignored it completely. If I was a shareholder, I'd frankly be a little distressed about the future of the machine, and the fact that they're keeping me in the dark. I'm not a shareholder, obviously, but I'm a consumer. I'd like to hope that this upcoming spring will have 15-20 good, solid games for me to consider, but I'm hearing nothing.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lockedge

Nintendo now has a market capitalization that exceeds that of Sony. This means that investors believe that Nintendo has the potential to be the world's biggest consumer electronics company ... based soley on the gaming industry! How have they done this? Answer:by convincing investors that the gaming industry has huge untapped potential.

Nintendo has been talking about this expanding market for years now. Did you expect them to go back to making Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem,and Pikmin the focus of their press conference?What kind of message would that send to the people who have bought into this expanding market idea?

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]It's just that gamers have varying interests, and Nintendo didn't cover many interests at all, or anything upcoming on the horizon. ymi_basic

Most of the big Nintendo franchises are still coming whether Nintendo chose to emphasize them or not. Asking for a release schedule extending more than a year is a bit of a joke.

A) I don't expect them to stop talking about expanding the market. If they would have cut down on maybe 2 montages, that time could have been filled listing a few more games coming to the system within the fiscal year.

B) I'm not asking for a release schedule extending more than a year. I'm asking for some information on what games are coming to the system from all parties. Right now I know of a select few being released in the fiscal year that are worth mentioning. I'd prefer not to hear of a game being announced just a week before it's released; or even worse, finding one in a store. I could care less about knowing which Nintendo franchises are coming, because I know they're coming. I'd really like them to give me something I don't know about. That's be great.

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts
I'd prefer not to hear of a game being announced just a week before it's released; or even worse, finding one in a store. I could care less about knowing which Nintendo franchises are coming, because I know they're coming. I'd really like them to give me something I don't know about. That's be great. Lockedge
Sorry man, but I just find it hard to shead any tears for you. The big surprise was Wii fit. If that's not for you, too bad. It's for Nintendo's larger market.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

Skylock00

For a company, success could simply means that a game's sales generate enough income for the publisher to have a profit by the end of the day, as far as I understood things. If a game only needs 80k sold to make a profit, then if it sells 100k, it's successful.

The point I'm making is that not all games have to sell as well as Mario/Metroid/Zelda to be deemed a success, since the number of sales that are required can vary from title to title. Case in point: Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I don't think the game broke the 500k mark by any stretch of the imagination, but Atlus deemed it enough of a success as a product to make a sequel for it.

Well, I can see where you're coming from, but Nintendo is definitely going to have an uphill battle in 2008 if they have to rely on games like Trauma Center and... ah heck who am I kidding? Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be sold out until 2010.