Vanquish, Bayonnetta and Okami HD. PG are GOD!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jord
Member since 2016 • 75 Posts

Just got those 3 games.

Oh man....I'm having so much fun with them.

I use vanquish and Bayonetta from get little breaks from fallout 3. they are so inventive, with such an old fashioned arace soul. Bayonetta is already getting recognition, but I'm surprised Vanquish isn't.

I will play Okami when spring comes. but I feel the magic of a real Zelda. Also Im a sucker of Japanesse culture.

Platinum games is my favourite devoloper right now. Specially when Bioware is not longer what it was.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@jord: Love the idea of a Platinum Games love and respect thread!

Vanquish is a fantastic Cover 3rd Person Shooter that in my view puts games like Uncharted and Gears of War to shame regarding mechanics.

However the possibility to why we haven't seen it reach much popularity or talk from Platinum Games is likely the following-

1) Vanquish was released at a bad time. The advertising hype on popular 2010 sequels (Bioshock 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Fallout New Vegas, and Red Dead: Undead Nightmare) kept a new IP with no marketing from SEGA, in the shadows.

2) Uncertainty for a possible sequel. Shinji Mikami san who Platinum Games claimed played a big part in the Vanquish development, and was also considered his pet-project in the studio. Shinji went onto form Tango GameWorks leaving Platinum behind to go back and make Survival Horror games. Will he comeback for a follow-up? Unlikely. And I don't think PG want to make a sequel without him.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Im gonna buy Vanquish on PC, i played it on PS3, ...so much stuff going on at once, it was intense to say the least

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I have Vanquish and Bayonetta on both the ps3 and 360. I also have Bayonetta 2 on WiiU with the re-release of Bayonetta 1.

Bayonetta and Vanquish are both awesome. Some of the best games from last gen. I haven't played Okami yet but I have it on the Wii. I plan on picking it up on the PS4 sooner or later.

I watched my buddy beat Bayonetta on the hardest difficulty setting.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

I got about halfway through Okami on XB1 but just couldn't finish it... started out interesting but pretty quickly lost my interest unfortunately. Which is a shame because it's a beautiful looking game.

Jord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jord

@multiplat:

Most intense arcade game EVER. It's like bayonetta bosses all the way through.but its mechanics, surfing...slow mo....reminds me so much to Viewtuful joe....It's so much fun to play.

Just be sure of not doing a session at night. Better at evenning drinking an energetic drink. :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

@multiplat said:

Im gonna buy Vanquish on PC, i played it on PS3, ...so much stuff going on at once, it was intense to say the least

bought it, was on sale. Have not got to it yet, need to.

@jord said:

@multiplat:

Most intense arcade game EVER. It's like bayonetta bosses all the way through.but its mechanics, surfing...slow mo....reminds me so much to Viewtuful joe....It's so much fun to play.

Just be sure of not doing a session at night. Better at evenning drinking an energetic drink. :)

That is good to hear. I remember when they ported it, I was super excited because A.) one of those rare [very rare] console games I wanted to play, and B.) I had heard unconditionally good things about the game.

Jord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jord

@mrbojangles25:

I got both Binary Domain and Vanquish. People praise Binary Domain too, but the gameplay (Not talking about the voice commands, wich works fine without microphone in my laptop) is quite unbalanced and frustrating.

Vanquish, is amazing. A joy to play. But like I said, be ready for probable the most intense arcade EVER.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

But they are sailing on their game mechanics... Bayonetta 1&2, NiER Automata, Transformers Devastation pretty much all play the same way

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By multiplat

@jord said:

@mrbojangles25:

I got both Binary Domain and Vanquish. People praise Binary Domain too, but the gameplay (Not talking about the voice commands, wich works fine without microphone in my laptop) is quite unbalanced and frustrating.

Vanquish, is amazing. A joy to play. But like I said, be ready for probable the most intense arcade EVER.

he is right. BD got NOTHING on Vanquish.... if u have to play both, then play BD first and Vanquish after.... if u play Vanquish first, BD will be such a let down in comparison.

I want to know how Bayonetta 2 (since i dont have nintendo) is compared to Vanquish.... i really really want to play a lot of console only games, but my PC backlog is insane, and i have a job and kid ..and a wife. And yes, i will replay Vanquish on a Sat or Sun morning after taking caffeine. Bayonetta 2 as a Nintendo exclusive, really really disturbs the balance of the universe... i mean like why????? donkey kong i get. ... but i might have to give up and just by the damn switch

Like, Bayonetta 1 and Vanquish and Okami and BD are on PC, but not Bayonetta 2 or 3?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
@multiplat said:

I want to know how Bayonetta 2 (since i dont have nintendo) is compared to Vanquish....

Very different games.

But as someone who bought a WiiU for Bayonetta 2 can state it's a more enjoyable experience over the original Bayonetta.

Better pacing, level design, quicktime events are less tacked on. And even has a great coop mode like Ninja Gaiden 2. Cathedral of Cascades is one of the best acts in a Hack n' Slasher I've ever played.

Still a short game, which is normal for Platinum Games yet would put it on par with Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden: Black.

@clefdefa said: But they are sailing on their game mechanics... Bayonetta 1&2, NiER Automata, Transformers Devastation pretty much all play the same way

You're not entirely wrong, but Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are in the same franchise and 2 being a direct sequel, so what do you expect?

I would also state Nier: Automata has a very different flow and shifting mechanics over all Platinum Slashers. Some would even state it's an Action RPG due to status effects, and gameplay variety.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

@multiplat said:
@jord said:

@mrbojangles25:

he is right. BD got NOTHING on Vanquish.... if u have to play both, then play BD first and Vanquish after.... if u play Vanquish first, BD will be such a let down in comparison.

I want to know how Bayonetta 2 (since i dont have nintendo) is compared to Vanquish.... i really really want to play a lot of console only games, but my PC backlog is insane, and i have a job and kid ..and a wife. And yes, i will replay Vanquish on a Sat or Sun morning after taking caffeine. Bayonetta 2 as a Nintendo exclusive, really really disturbs the balance of the universe... i mean like why????? donkey kong i get. ... but i might have to give up and just by the damn switch

Like, Bayonetta 1 and Vanquish and Okami and BD are on PC, but not Bayonetta 2 or 3?

well I'm sold, because I really enjoyed Binary Domain. Wasn't perfect but I love the Japanese aesthetic mixed with the American action-movie kitsch.

Big Bo!

Loading Video...

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 multiplat

ya they should have let Big Bo be the main guy, or any of the other supporting cast, like the pompous British? guy ... they had more character than the main guy

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By multiplat

@RSM-HQ said:
@multiplat said:

I want to know how Bayonetta 2 (since i dont have nintendo) is compared to Vanquish....

Very different games.

But as someone who bought a WiiU for Bayonetta 2 can state it's a more enjoyable experience over the original Bayonetta.

wait so there is no difference b/w Switch vs WiiU as far as B2 is concerned? as u can see I am clueless when it comes to consoles, but with these games controllers are key, and I prefer the larger xbox for pc controller type for these games, as opposed to the small playstation dual shock controller.

I can always get one of those adult sized N64??? is it?? controllers to work with either the WiiU or Switch right? i am assuming the switch is more advanced and probably has less frame rate drops than the WiiU... god so many unanswered questions just so I can play 1 game

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 multiplat

whhhhhaaat, i didnt buy my copy of Devastation on time....Transformer games pulled from Steam like only a few weeks ago, and i didnt notice

https://kotaku.com/activision-pulls-transformers-games-from-steam-and-play-1821535229

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Okami hd its masterpiece bayonnetta and vanguish are great games

Loodko_Koopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Loodko_Koopus
Member since 2018 • 69 Posts

Bayonetta and Vanquish are awesome! Vanquish showcases that a game doesn't always need a good story to be captivating, it's so much fun. And Bayonetta is my favorite hack n slash alongside Devil May Cry. Unfortunately, never got around playing Okami. Don't even know what you do in the game. Can someone shortly describe the mechanics?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ

@multiplat:

wait so there is no difference b/w Switch vs WiiU as far as B2 is concerned?

I had a custom controller for my WiiU because I disliked the U Pad, so couldn't tell you the possible differences, the upcoming Switch version is a port, that's all we know. I wouldn't expect much alteration. Once it's released or at least shown running on Nintendo Switch more information can be gathered.

but with these games controllers are key, and I prefer the larger xbox for pc controller type for these games, as opposed to the small playstation dual shock controller

I'll be using a Switch Pro controller regardless, personally think it's the best first party controller on the market. I'm also one for good controls and Nintendo delivered. With that, as someone who has used the 360/X1/DS4 I don't think the Dualshock 4 is small, you've likely just found a preference with the Xbox 360/X1 controller like I have with the S:Pro.

i am assuming the switch is more advanced and probably has less frame rate drops than the WiiU...

Can only provide details given by Platinum Games and Nintendo. The Switch version was only announced late 2017, with no further information. The WiiUs version held a pretty stable framerate so not really worried about the port.

so many unanswered questions just so I can play 1 game

Nothing wrong with researching and asking about games, that's kinda the point in Games Discussion Forum. I get that you're sole gaming platform is P.C. so your questions are not out the ordinary.