LadonnaTDQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 LadonnaTDQ
Member since 2019 • 46 Posts

With the impending end of the 8th Generation I thought I'd look back at games from all prior generations that I loved, I'm not saying these are the best games necessarily just the ones I personally loved that were potentially overshadowed. These are for every generation I’ve been alive, but I’ve tried to steer clear of obvious choices. What are yours?

ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBOURS (SNES, MEGADRIVE
You play as either Zeke or Julie (or both in co-op) and your mission is quite simple, save your neighbours from various monsters based on B-movie horror villains. These include Mummy’s, Dracula, The Wolfman and of course the titular zombies.

You start the game with water pistols and work your way through 48 stages, killing all manner of the undead with weapon types that would put Sunset Overdrive to shame, collect 10 neighbours before a zombie gets to them first, but beware if a zombie does get to get a neighbour first they won’t come back in the next stage. This mechanic makes the game truly challenging and even now I have never managed to complete the game. Due to its age there’s no save mechanic, but there are passwords which fast track you to a level, unfortunately you start the level with just water pistols which for later foes are completely useless. If you’ve never played this gem I highly recommend it.

TWISTED METAL 2 (PS1)
This is the ultimate demolition derby and it’s dark, sadistic and hilarious. Each character in this game is brilliantly unique and using the special moves each car has is just pure unadulterated fun.

Each map is completely different from the last with some having destructible areas that can truly change the stage. One does wonder what a Twisted Metal might be like with a physics and destruction engine that the PS5 and Series X could muster.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (XBOX)
When this game released it was highly regarded, many were surprised that a licenced game could be such high quality. Released near the beginning of the Original Xbox’s life cycle this Buffy game did so much right. A weighty and surprisingly deep combat system, top notch voice acting, compelling story (a lost episode from season 3 of the show no less) and a stellar graphics engine for the time.

The game gives you a variety of weapons, each has unique attributes, but the devil is in the details with this game. Vampires must be staked in the heart or thrown into sunlight just like in the show. If you’re interested in a Buffy game, I’d recommend the Xbox Exclusive original and not the multiplatform sequel “Chaos Bleeds”.

DEAD RISING (XBOX 360)
Was it the getting stranded in a shopping centre (mall), was it the variety of weapons, was it the tension created from the timer or maybe it was the ability to use almost anything as a weapon.

The first Dead Rising I enjoyed far more than the sequels, maybe because it arrived before every game under the sun seemed to have a zombie pandemic in it. The game had bundles of tension, despite playing for laughs a lot of the time – the boss fights gave a decent challenge and weapon deterioration never feels unfair.

HELLBLADE (PS4, XBOX ONE, PC)
This game really is phenomenal, I can understand why some may find it a grind but this game to me is more ground-breaking than anything else released this generation. The handling of the character of Senua is perfect and puts Hollywood to shame. And when you realise this game was made by 20 people, it’s unbelievable. The sound design is on another level and the story is gripping, beautifully told and so emotional.

I have some gripes with repetitive puzzles, and the combat could have used a bit of variety, but that doesn't take away from this masterpiece. I'm very excited for the sequel.