Ubisoft equals quantity over quality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

In all honesty, the best games I've played from Ubi are AC 2 and Far Cry Blood Dragon. I'll give a slight nod to Brotherhood and even Revelations for at least having an interesting protagonist. I never played Far Cry 3 but from what I heard Blood Dragon is more fun.

AC 3 was crap. Black Flag and Watch Dogs have plenty to do to keep you busy but it's all monotonous after a few times. All of their recent games have a watch tower to unlock more of the map with instructional simon says text pop ups that hold your hand from start to finish. Go here, kill this guy, etc, etc.

And now Ubi seems to be on a 'lets integrate single player with multiplayer' tip forcing to use they're DRM crap, Uplay. Numerous threads have popped in Ubi forums complaining about how broken Online Invasions are for Watch Dogs and they're right. NPC's are static robots who die from one hit no matter where you shoot them. No mission replay or re spawning criminal convoy missions and gang hideouts.

Ubi is ignoring these valid complaints and is focused on DLC and getting you hyped for upcoming sequels which will all most likely be more shit painted in gold.They need to slow down with rushing games out the door and focus on making games feel complete and polished.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#2 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Far Cry 3 is bloody tops mate! Plus AC4 is hell load of fun! So long as Far Cry 4 and the next Rayman game live up, all is well and good with ubi.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

There's a reason I haven't played Black Flag: Repetitive side missions and repetition in general.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

I am totally burned out on AC series I am giving it a pass this year, and I agree developers need to slow down and focus on quality instead of rushing the games to get an extra dollar, that is why I love rockstar they take their time to make a quality game.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

pretty much yeah

Reacher42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Reacher42
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

the first and second far cry was really good, if a bit unusual (at least the second one was) far cry 3 is a lot of fun, splinter cell is an awesome series (conviction was a bit of a low point but they are going in the right direction with blacklist) plus the rainbow six series and ghost recon series and beyond good and evil and child of light all of those are excellent. My point is its a little unfair to say that Ubisoft makes rushed crap when they have a history making excellent games.

integrating multiplayer with singleplayer is the best way to cut down on piracy. If they had done this from the start instead of complex DRM systems everything would have been much smoother, legitimate players would have been able to enjoy greater depth from a game that has been designed with online play from the start, while those who are still determined to pirate will be stuck with a sub par experience.

The obvious criticism is that it forces people to have a stable internet connection in order to use their product, yes that excludes certain people but it is the developers right to create a game for any audience they intend. As internet becomes more widely available (It has been declared a basic right by the UN) this model makes more and more sense.

(for the most part devil's advocate here, Ubisoft is starting to show some problems in their handling of games)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The Assassin's Creed series has been sliding downhill for a few years now. I haven't tried Far Cry 3 yet, but it is supposed to be good. Ubi is pretty hit-and-miss for me. Every now and then they put out a game that I just love, but most of their games are garbage.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

I agree. I think Ubisoft & Warner both have teh quality of product to over take Activision & EA as the number 1 & 2 Publisher's.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft is copying the EA/Activision model and just killing it's own franchises. No reason for an Assassin's Creed EVERY YEAR!

LESS IS MORE!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58954 Posts

It seems the people to blame is everyone buying Ubisoft titles. Which is most likely everyone in this thread lol.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Its official... Ubisoft has gone Mainstream ! ! ! :)

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It seems the people to blame is everyone buying Ubisoft titles. Which is most likely everyone in this thread lol.

Can't remember the last time I've bought a Ubisoft game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@HipHopBeats: Assassin's Creed 4, Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts are all great games. Hell at least they are trying to make new games with The Crew, The Division, and Watch Dogs. Hell they failed with Zombie U

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I still thoroughly enjoy their games myself. Watch Dogs was a great game, had a lot of fun with that one.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts
@reacher42 said:

the first and second far cry was really good, if a bit unusual (at least the second one was) far cry 3 is a lot of fun, splinter cell is an awesome series (conviction was a bit of a low point but they are going in the right direction with blacklist) plus the rainbow six series and ghost recon series and beyond good and evil and child of light all of those are excellent. My point is its a little unfair to say that Ubisoft makes rushed crap when they have a history making excellent games.

integrating multiplayer with singleplayer is the best way to cut down on piracy. If they had done this from the start instead of complex DRM systems everything would have been much smoother, legitimate players would have been able to enjoy greater depth from a game that has been designed with online play from the start, while those who are still determined to pirate will be stuck with a sub par experience.

The obvious criticism is that it forces people to have a stable internet connection in order to use their product, yes that excludes certain people but it is the developers right to create a game for any audience they intend. As internet becomes more widely available (It has been declared a basic right by the UN) this model makes more and more sense.

(for the most part devil's advocate here, Ubisoft is starting to show some problems in their handling of games)

Cutting down on piracy is one thing. Punishing players for choosing to opt of online invasions is quite another. Also the fact that Ubisoft is taking the silent approach on how broken the online for Watch Dogs is, shows they're just a hype machine company cashing in on greed.

Sure other devs like Bioware, Rockstar and Bethesda have their own well documented hiccups. At least they actually respond to complaints and take measures to actually address valid criticisms. Watch Dogs was delayed for 6 months yet no NPC's actually leave or board the L train when the train stops? Different outfits that are nothing but the same clothes in different colors? It's little things like that shows you how much a dev actually cares about their product versus cashing in off the hype. Before we even saw actual gameplay for Far Cry 4, Ubi was already announcing pre order bonuses and season passes.

And why do PC users even need Uplay if they're already using Steam? I even saw a thread somewhere explaining how Uplay acts like a rootkit with certain games after game installation.

Plus single player games are still in demand regardless of how much shine multiplayer gets. The single player is what made games like AC and Far Cry stand out in the first place. Watch how fast Fallout 4 sells once solid gameplay footage is released. Ubi has cool ideas for games, but they have to actually give a shit about the players and what they put into the game to make it all come together. Not figuring out which content to cut and sell as DLC and pre order bonuses.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I just think it's funny that with all the problems with the video game industry you guys make threads attacking Ubisoft. Has any company come up with more interesting IPs over the last 7-8 years that Ubisoft? On top of that they are keep Rayman relevant and changing things up with Splinter Cell and Ghsot Recon to keep them from getting stagnant. The AC series gives Ubisoft money so they can make new IPs and swallow failures like trying to support the Wii U when no one bought it.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

IDK I find that the games are usually fun enough to justify the repetition. I even enjoyed AC3 quite a bit even though it's not the best AC game (come on, rope darts alone make the game worth playing. They're fucking awesome).

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#18 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

EA is the same also. If you go through their insane long list of games both these publishers make its endless, and out of all of them a small fraction are actually decent. They probably make enough back in these garbage releases to cover costs but it hurts their reputation also.

This whole kickstarter game developer trend is probably good, its eliminating the pressures of a publisher breathing down the necks of game developers and letting them develop good games at their own pace, games people want and not just quick release and profit games the keep the publishers profits high.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: "Its official... Ubisoft has gone Mainstream"

For sure, they wrecked ghost recon. Ubi!!! Its time to end Assasins Creed series now. People!!! Stop buying AC games are you really so easily pleased? They have milked that one dry. And I loved farcry 2/3 but I can see farcry4 being more of the same with slight differences, and it took me a while to get into farcry3.

Watchdogs is ok I'm kinda enjoying it we'll see what the sequel is like.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@mesomorphin:

"Plus AC4 is hell load of fun!"

Yeh it is if you play it every three months for half an hour :P

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@firefox59: " The AC series gives Ubisoft money so they can make new IPs"

Makes sense, I mean it can't cost them much to make an AC game they're all the same formula as the first AC.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

@ariabed said:

@mesomorphin:

"Plus AC4 is hell load of fun!"

Yeh it is if you play it every three months for half an hour :P

The campaign I agree with you, but the open world exploring...was freaking awesome!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Ariabed

I get that people have grown used to a certain standard, so much that it may actuall seem boring, and the fact that they milk the living hell out of these franchise into annual releases is definately not helping. However these games that people are dissapointed by are actually exquisitely made, and require alot of effeort from 6 different divisions of Ubisoft all over the world, it really wasn't that long ago when the best Open World Game's most interesting feature was Beating Up Hookers, running over people, Stacking cars next each other and setting one on fire to create an explosive version of dominoes, and basicly just causing chaos. We've really come a long way. Now we got Hacking, Kung Fu and Batmobiles, However with so much money on the line for these open world games, creativity and innovation is just too high a risk... I fear its potential will never be fully realised..... Long Story short.... RPGs are horrible ! :p