Ubisoft: Dissapointed with PS3 and 360 sales... vows to make better Wii titles

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

Ubisoft on Wii: We Made Mistakes The company says its rush to deliver Wii launch titles resulted in quality issues; promises better games to come. by Matt Casamassina

May 30, 2007 - Publisher Ubisoft was one of the first third parties to recognize the potential of Nintendo's Wii console and back the platform with a wealth of titles. The company's headlining launch games, Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids, were both exclusively created for Wii and have in the six months since they released each become million-sellers around the world. However, many of the developer's other efforts - all of them quick and unimpressive ports of previously released games on other systems - have faired poorly both from a critical and retail perspective. In an interview with leading German news magazine Spiegel, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot and European head Alain Corre admitted that the publisher was too quick to rush these titles to the market.

"We made mistakes," they told the magazine. According to Spiegel, Ubisoft wanted to be first to capitalize on Wii and in its haste to release product it sacrificed the quality of the titles. Ubisoft has reportedly learned from its mistakes, though, and is promising that the quality of its forthcoming Wii projects will be significantly better.

Corre told Spiegel he is not content with sales of PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. "Sony should set a new price point soon it is still wants to sell a satisfactory amount of units this year," he said, adding, "Microsoft, too, by the way."

Spiegel is one of Europe's most influential news magazines with a weekly circulation of about one million. The publication's recent interview with Ubisoft's heads was part of a bigger piece entitled "Shelf Warmer PlayStation 3: Desperately Seeking Players," which took a very critical look at the underwhelming sales of Sony's technological goliath.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts
That's odd I thought the sales for their 360 games were quite good.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
I simply don't understand why they don't go ahead and merge with MS, because for all intensive purposes they are MS second party.  It's not only the Wii they are shafting, they also are insulting PS3 owners(and dimished the launch somewhat) by releasing the Tom Clancy games way late, they might as well not release Vegas or GRAW2 at this point.  I don't think they will do well with Sony or Nintendo this gen, that's there number one problem and they have done nothing to address this.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

That's odd I thought the sales for their 360 games were quite good.Archangel3371

They are, which makes the statement kind of odd.

In a way, though, I see where he's coming from regarding the sales of 360 and PS3. All things said, they're both performing pretty poorly in the sales department, and that should be especially concerning to Microsoft, seeing as they are now a Year 2 system and should be putting the pedal to the floor on sales. Not happening.

I've always maintained that watching these two systems perform at retail is going to be like watching old dudes do walker races at a care home in Sun City. It's going to be painful, slow, and a bit sad. The price for both machines is too damn high, and they are never going to reach the mass market until they lower them. Microsoft should stop using Sony's foibles as a barometer on when to cut the price and instead focus on the fact that their own monthly sales are lukewarm at best.

Sony is in an indefensible position, as they have to cut $200 off just to get to Microsoft's already too-high price which isn't being bought.

It's truly a sad state of affairs on the hardware sales front. The saving grace for the 360 is that it has a base that buys EVERYTHING, from retail games to downloads to accessories. That might be enough to save it short-term, but then again, maybe not.

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.Travo_basic

I agree, but I trust UbiSoft. 

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Games...... wank

- admit they made mistakes by making cheap and poor wii ports, say they released them too fast; new wii software will be of higher quality

Yeah I certainly hope so. I question this interview though I need to see the actual source and get a german speaker to translate it as it sounds awfully familiar yet twisted. Guillemont has already said that PS3 needs a price cut and misjudged the market on Gamesindustry.

He also had another post Ubi-Days interview which I made my feelings clear on:

NGB

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has confirmed that the publisher is indeed crazy, silly and shortsighted.

"Our approaches to the market are different now - we consider that each set of machines has its own population of consumers and customers, and we have to make sure we cater to each of them," he said.

What this means of course is that Wii gets My Word Coach and Horsez 2, while the other consoles get Assasins Creed and Haze.

"The key is not to think how we used to do things - we have to consider that some machines demand different approaches to the games industry than other consoles."

In the case of Nintendo platforms we have to produce substandard ports of really old games that have been released before, otherwise it's kids stuff and edu-tainment. 

"The timing is right for us to leverage our creativity and to open up the video games market to new consumers who will be attracted by content that can help them learn, grow and feel better in an entertaining way,"

We can't be bothered making real games for the budget choice option, so let's take the low brow approach, see if we can copy some of Nintendo's stuff (not the good stuff) throw enough cheap cruddy mud and see what sticks.

Hang on there Monsiuer, I thought that Ubiport was suppossed to be one of the third parties actually supporting Wii? And they have to an extent by releasing two high profile launch titles, but then came atrocious ports. And now it seems that the crud keeps on coming. Really, why even bother?

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts

- admit they made mistakes by making cheap and poor wii ports, say they released them too fast; new wii software will be of higher quality

jedigemini

I've been saying this since playing Red Steel, however people still tried to shoot my claims down in smoke, it's nice to see it now confirmed. 

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]That's odd I thought the sales for their 360 games were quite good.Shame-usBlackley

They are, which makes the statement kind of odd.

In a way, though, I see where he's coming from regarding the sales of 360 and PS3. All things said, they're both performing pretty poorly in the sales department, and that should be especially concerning to Microsoft, seeing as they are now a Year 2 system and should be putting the pedal to the floor on sales. Not happening.

I've always maintained that watching these two systems perform at retail is going to be like watching old dudes do walker races at a care home in Sun City. It's going to be painful, slow, and a bit sad. The price for both machines is too damn high, and they are never going to reach the mass market until they lower them. Microsoft should stop using Sony's foibles as a barometer on when to cut the price and instead focus on the fact that their own monthly sales are lukewarm at best.

Sony is in an indefensible position, as they have to cut $200 off just to get to Microsoft's already too-high price which isn't being bought.

It's truly a sad state of affairs on the hardware sales front. The saving grace for the 360 is that it has a base that buys EVERYTHING, from retail games to downloads to accessories. That might be enough to save it short-term, but then again, maybe not.

Yeah the 360 is definately overdue for a pricecut and also needs the 65nm hardware revision both of which I would imagine will coincide with the release of Halo 3 although the sooner the better.

As for the PS3 I'm very pleasantly surprised with how stable the hardware is this time around for the system however for me the console would cost me $750 Canadian after taxes which is more then I'm willing to spend for a console regardless of what games are available for it so it has probably a couple of price drops before I decide to pick one up.

yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yomi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3915 Posts
LOL, OK Ubisoft you go ahead and make those better Wii games. I'm sure they will be amazing.
yomi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yomi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3915 Posts

I'm sorry it just makes me laugh when I see developers pretend thier crap games are based on anything but poor design. Ubisoft just will not be able to do what they are good at on the Wii. They make good shooters and Prince of Persia. Pretty much everything else they do is passable (sorry I don't like Splinter Cell and Assasins Creed isn't out yet). They can spend a decade trying to make Their Tom clabcy games work on the Wii and they will still suck.

I'm pretty sure that trying to compete with Nintendo at making casual games is not going to be a winning propoistion for them.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

I'm sorry it just makes me laugh when I see developers pretend thier crap games are based on anything but poor design. Ubisoft just will not be able to do what they are good at on the Wii. They make good shooters and Prince of Persia. Pretty much everything else they do is passable (sorry I don't like Splinter Cell and Assasins Creed isn't out yet). They can spend a decade trying to make Their Tom clabcy games work on the Wii and they will still suck.

I'm pretty sure that trying to compete with Nintendo at making casual games is not going to be a winning propoistion for them.

yomi_basic
I disagree. Take a game like Red Steel for instance, it had great potential, it sold well, and at times it was a lot of fun. The game did suck but most of its problems stemmed from the lack of tender love and care Ubi put into its development rather than the lack of the Wii's processing power.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gaminggeek

Right I found a better transaltion of the article on gamefront:

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot is opening up once again, discussing the company's plans for the DS and Wii. Mr. Guillemot stressed that Ubisoft is putting a lot more focus on the Wii and DS than the PS3 or 360. He says that the two Nintendo platforms are really being embraced by the public while the other two consoles are being adopted very slowly. He also states that companies have to stop looking at console sales to decide where their games should be placed. You have to pick the right platform for your game.

Casual games are quickly becoming a focus for Ubisoft, with somewhere around 20 titles falling under this category. Mr. Guillemot is hoping to see over 20% of Ubisoft's revenue coming from this venture. Mr. Guillemot recognizes that these are some ambitious goals, but is confident that this approach will benefit the company.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
Bah!  Casual games are good for cell phones and handhelds, consoles not so much.  Funny how Guillemot says Ubi is focusing on the Wii and DS because they are being embraced by the public....then says a game studio should not focus on the amount of units sold....then he says PS3 and 360 are being adopted slowly (poor sales).  So to me that means Wii and DS the current leaders of units sold are getting more attention because there are more of them and more opportunity to make money.  Why even sugar coat it you hypocrite?
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts

Horsez Wii

Horsezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My Word Coach (Wii)

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

yomi_basic
Yes, because we all saw how it was impossible to make quality titles on last-gen's hardware.  :|
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shame-usBlackley

Yes, because we all saw how it was impossible to make quality titles on last-gen's hardware.  :|ymi_basic

Correctomundo.

God of War II parallels anything I've played this year on new systems, and it's on six year-old hardware. Visual upgrades are nice, but games like God of War II prove that it ain't all about horsepower, and that even old hardware can provide stunning results in the right hands.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="ymi_basic"]Yes, because we all saw how it was impossible to make quality titles on last-gen's hardware.  :|Shame-usBlackley

Correctomundo.

God of War II parallels anything I've played this year on new systems, and it's on six year-old hardware. Visual upgrades are nice, but games like God of War II prove that it ain't all about horsepower, and that even old hardware can provide stunning results in the right hands.

Theoretically possible doesn't really mean much.  A superb DMC/GoW style game was theoretically possible on the GC, but it never played host to such a game.  Signifigantly, the interview talks about making 'casual' games for Nintendo systems (most everyone supporting the Wii seems to be reaching the same conclusions about the nature of its audience), so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the equivalent of GoW2 on the Wii, whereas similar games are certainly in the works for the X360 and the PS3.  In fairness, its not yet clear that NG Sigma, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden 2 or DMC4 will be on the same level as GoW2 but three of the four have been shown and what has been shown looks promising. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart

yomi_basic

I wouldn't mind if Ubisoft devoted the lesser portions of the teams workings on established franchises to casual games (i.e. the guys who make the odd numbered Splinter Cells).  Ubisoft is cranking out squad based military squad based shooters a bit too quickly for my liking.  Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6 and another Ghost Recon were all released in the span of a year.  Ubisoft ought to given a single development team the opportunity to take a breath and reflect after a project is done, not have another development team working on another game in the same franchise alongside them (the second team doesn't really have much time to incorporate feedback and the first team has a hard deadline they have to try to meet or they are eating into the release window of the other guys).

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
See? Everyone thinks im crazy but here is a prime example of a developer that has good talent wasting it away on casual game garbage for the Wii. Horsez? My Word Coach? Boy those awesome games for the Wii are sure on their way arent they Ubi? Its sad when I have to rely on EA for good third party Wii games, but I guess a leopard can change their spots. Playing through their last few titles the Ubi games have been of high quality latley. Rainbow Six Vegas was definetly a AAA experience as were most of the Prince Of Persia games in my opinion, so they have it in them.
toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 toment

See? Everyone thinks im crazy but here is a prime example of a developer that has good talent wasting it away on casual game garbage for the Wii. Horsez? My Word Coach? Boy those awesome games for the Wii are sure on their way arent they Ubi? Its sad when I have to rely on EA for good third party Wii games, but I guess a leopard can change their spots.GodModeEnabled
Whenever I hear this frase I laugh. Mostly due to the TrailerPark Boys episode 'A S*** Leopard Can't Change its Spots.'

Sorry for bringing this off-topic, but it needed to be said. 

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts

Horsez Wii

Horsezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

toment

Hmm. that dose look beautiful even if it is a game I may not want to play. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]See? Everyone thinks im crazy but here is a prime example of a developer that has good talent wasting it away on casual game garbage for the Wii. Horsez? My Word Coach? Boy those awesome games for the Wii are sure on their way arent they Ubi? Its sad when I have to rely on EA for good third party Wii games, but I guess a leopard can change their spots.toment

Whenever I hear this frase I laugh. Mostly due to the TrailerPark Boys episode 'A S*** Leopard Can't Change its Spots.'

In other off topic news the Trailer Park Boys movie was awesome and two of those guys are from my home province in PEI and I have hung out with them before. The show takes place not too far from where I lived in Nova Scotia... They used to run a pizza shop before they made it big! Couldnt meet two cooler dudes.
ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts
[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="ymi_basic"]Yes, because we all saw how it was impossible to make quality titles on last-gen's hardware.  :|CarnageHeart

Correctomundo.

Theoretically possible doesn't really mean much.  A superb DMC/GoW style game was theoretically possible on the GC, but it never played host to such a game.   

While I agree that it is yet to be seen whether devs will make big productions on the Wii, his quote was "Ubisoft just will not be able to do what they are good at on the Wii."  That statement can't be defended.  If Ubi (and others) decide that Wii has a market for their games, it will certainly be technically possible for them to produce anything on par with or exceeding last-gen's best offerings.
Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts
Hmmm, the chances of derailment is strong in this thread...
bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

That's odd I thought the sales for their 360 games were quite good.Archangel3371

Exactly. It's like they publishers are constantly contradicting themseleves...

That's what I tend not to listen to this stuff.  

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

While I agree that it is yet to be seen whether devs will make big productions on the Wii, his quote was "Ubisoft just will not be able to do what they are good at on the Wii." That statement can't be defended. If Ubi (and others) decide that Wii has a market for their games, it will certainly be technically possible for them to produce anything on par with or exceeding last-gen's best offerings.ymi_basic

That statement is very easily defendable. 

Ubisoft has already "upgraded" its primary dev teams (the ones its using for AC, R6, GR, etc.) to "next gen" technology.  This means the programmers have spent time educating themselves to use new techniques, new programmers have been hired for things like physics, new tools have been developed or purchased (UE3), artists have been educated on new techinques/technology/toolsets, new artists have been hired, new equipment has been purchased, and who knows what else. Therefore you can't just have this same team work on a last-gen quality Wii version of Splinter Cell, since a) they would need to use vastly different (older) tools then for PS3/360, b) completely new assets would need to created, levels and gameplay would have to redesigned both to suit the Wii's controller and hardware and c) the team would be overkill, since there's plenty of new talent hired.

So what you're getting at here, is that Ubisoft basically has three choices when releasing their average Tom Clancy game: 

1.  Have two seperate teams work on two seperate versions, one for PS3/360 and one for Wii (expensive)
2.  Ignore the PS3/360 and just make it for Wii (lose valuable Xbox fanbase, questionable Wii fanbase [non gamers], waste of developer resources
3.  Ignore the Wii and develop for PS3/360 (lose the Wii's install base)

Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts
Ubisoft can admit crappy ports on Wii, but can't admit crappy ports on PS3.:roll:
suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 suikoden352
Member since 2004 • 808 Posts

how are we wii owners non gamers? i play all the consoles and whatnot but i chose to get the wii b4 i got a xbox 360 or a ps3 cuz i didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a ps3 and also xbox 360 is an awesome system and all but i wanted innovation in my games and system this time around instead of the regular online shooter/ racing experience that is on the xbox 360. it doesn't mean i'm abandoning the notion of getting a 360 in the future cuz i totally plan just later this year or prolly next year and i'll wait till ps3 can actually give an affordable price until i decide to get one.i'd just like to know why we are being labeled as non gamers when we are no different from ya'll except we chose innovation over pretty graphics.

toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 toment
[QUOTE="toment"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]See? Everyone thinks im crazy but here is a prime example of a developer that has good talent wasting it away on casual game garbage for the Wii. Horsez? My Word Coach? Boy those awesome games for the Wii are sure on their way arent they Ubi? Its sad when I have to rely on EA for good third party Wii games, but I guess a leopard can change their spots.GodModeEnabled

In other off topic news the Trailer Park Boys movie was awesome and two of those guys are from my home province in PEI and I have hung out with them before. The show takes place not too far from where I lived in Nova Scotia... They used to run a pizza shop before they made it big! Couldnt meet two cooler dudes.

:shock:Wow that is so cool.

Can I have your autograph? :P

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

jedigemini

Do they really, really mean that? Gosh, finally they understand what that did to their reputation. I hope they redeem themselves to Nintendo fans and Wii-users and bring out games that are on the level as their talent. Rayman Raving Rabbits 2 as a Nintendo exclusive is a good start.

I hope to see more original titles to the Wii that will be games worth buying and not old ports.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

[QUOTE="ymi_basic"]While I agree that it is yet to be seen whether devs will make big productions on the Wii, his quote was "Ubisoft just will not be able to do what they are good at on the Wii." That statement can't be defended. If Ubi (and others) decide that Wii has a market for their games, it will certainly be technically possible for them to produce anything on par with or exceeding last-gen's best offerings.Teufelhuhn

That statement is very easily defendable. 

Ubisoft has already "upgraded" its primary dev teams (the ones its using for AC, R6, GR, etc.) to "next gen" technology.  This means the programmers have spent time educating themselves to use new techniques, new programmers have been hired for things like physics, new tools have been developed or purchased (UE3), artists have been educated on new techinques/technology/toolsets, new artists have been hired, new equipment has been purchased, and who knows what else. Therefore you can't just have this same team work on a last-gen quality Wii version of Splinter Cell, since a) they would need to use vastly different (older) tools then for PS3/360, b) completely new assets would need to created, levels and gameplay would have to redesigned both to suit the Wii's controller and hardware and c) the team would be overkill, since there's plenty of new talent hired.

So what you're getting at here, is that Ubisoft basically has three choices when releasing their average Tom Clancy game: 

1.  Have two seperate teams work on two seperate versions, one for PS3/360 and one for Wii (expensive)
2.  Ignore the PS3/360 and just make it for Wii (lose valuable Xbox fanbase, questionable Wii fanbase [non gamers], waste of developer resources
3.  Ignore the Wii and develop for PS3/360 (lose the Wii's install base)

I think you got the wrong idea. Ubisoft shouldn't bring franchises like Tom Clancy to the Wii. This series was always mediocre during their run on last-gen consoles and only began to share the limelight of success and praise when the 360 arrived. Same goes for the Elder Scrolls series. Series` like these shine most on more powerful hardware. I guess sometimes graphics do matter, as in the cases with these games.

The Wii will be a tricky matter to develop for because it's not a good console to home hardcore series` like Tom Clancy or Splinter Cell. Those Ubisoft franchises should stay on next-gen consoles and find success there. But for the Wii, I think Ubi has to develop on it with the DS's market in mind. The DS obviously had their share of crap-happy ports of Splinter Cell, Goldeneye, and Burnout, which proves that porting these console games to that handheld was not the best of moves. I think when making games for the Wii, they have to keep a certain market in mind. I think keeping Rayman Raving Rabbits 2 exclusive to Nintendo is a good start. This is a good example of what kind of games will work best on the Wii.

Ubi just has to brainstorm a little bit more from now on. For example, that new Naruto game they're making will certainly work on the Wii since it's cell-shaded graphics. In other words, they just have to find ways to make a game look great on a weaker hardware while keeping the innovative strength of the Wii in mind to shine through.

bass_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bass_11
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
Ubisoft:  stop making trashy games
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

I think you got the wrong idea. Ubisoft shouldn't bring franchises like Tom Clancy to the Wii. This series was always mediocre during their run on last-gen consoles and only began to share the limelight of success and praise when the 360 arrived. Same goes for the Elder Scrolls series. Series` like these shine most on more powerful hardware. I guess sometimes graphics do matter, as in the cases with these games.

The Wii will be a tricky matter to develop for because it's not a good console to home hardcore series` like Tom Clancy or Splinter Cell. Those Ubisoft franchises should stay on next-gen consoles and find success there. But for the Wii, I think Ubi has to develop on it with the DS's market in mind. The DS obviously had their share of crap-happy ports of Splinter Cell, Goldeneye, and Burnout, which proves that porting these console games to that handheld was not the best of moves. I think when making games for the Wii, they have to keep a certain market in mind. I think keeping Rayman Raving Rabbits 2 exclusive to Nintendo is a good start. This is a good example of what kind of games will work best on the Wii.

ASK_Story

That was kinda my point, although I probably said it in the most roundabout and nonsensical way possible.  :P

The poster I was responding to had brought a quote saying that Ubisoft can't do what they do best on the Wii, and to me what they "do best" is Tom Clancy games.  I agree with you that those games should stay on 360/PS3, while Ubisoft should persue alternative avenues  for Wii games using seperate development teams.

toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 toment
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

The Wii will be a tricky matter to develop for because it's not a good console to home hardcore series` like Tom Clancy or Splinter Cell. Those Ubisoft franchises should stay on next-gen consoles and find success there. But for the Wii, I think Ubi has to develop on it with the DS's market in mind. The DS obviously had their share of crap-happy ports of Splinter Cell, Goldeneye, and Burnout, which proves that porting these console games to that handheld was not the best of moves. I think when making games for the Wii, they have to keep a certain market in mind. I think keeping Rayman Raving Rabbits 2 exclusive to Nintendo is a good start. This is a good example of what kind of games will work best on the Wii.

Teufelhuhn

That was kinda my point, although I probably said it in the most roundabout and nonsensical way possible. 

It's the GGD way. Also works if you want to troll something
neXtgenisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 neXtgenisis
Member since 2006 • 775 Posts
yea its not like the tom clancy games are good.....wow i dont believe it thats like saying epic isn't selling alot so they are gunna try PS2
neXtgenisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 neXtgenisis
Member since 2006 • 775 Posts
^^^^ and i mean PS2 not PS3
AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
It's very refreshing when a developer actually admits that they've been making crappy games and they wish to improve.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

So they will go to the worst games of the year to just plain sucking?

YAY! :) 

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

See? Everyone thinks im crazy but here is a prime example of a developer that has good talent wasting it away on casual game garbage for the Wii. Horsez? My Word Coach? Boy those awesome games for the Wii are sure on their way arent they Ubi? Its sad when I have to rely on EA for good third party Wii games, but I guess a leopard can change their spots. Playing through their last few titles the Ubi games have been of high quality latley. Rainbow Six Vegas was definetly a AAA experience as were most of the Prince Of Persia games in my opinion, so they have it in them.GodModeEnabled

No offense but I still think your crazy. :P

This is UBISOFT's decision not all developers.

Square-Enix - Final Fantasy: CC, Dragon Quest Swords

SEGA-Sammy - Sonic, NiGHTS, Alien Syndrome, Monkey Ball, Ghost Squad, Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core

Konami - Dewey's Adventure, DDR:HP,

Capcom - Resident Evil: UC, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil 4

Others - Manhunt 2, No More Heroes, Opoona, Space Station, and others.

All potential games mostly cattered to non-casuals. 

And don't even get me started on Nintendo's first/second party.

It's not fair to judge one developer/publisher.

Also Ubisoft only makes good games on the 360 usually.....no I'm serious.

The Wii is self explanatory

The PC they dumbed down the Rainbow Six series and ported Resident Evil 4 with a graphical downgrade *from what I've read* and no mouse and keyboard support.....

As for their PSP and DS titles the only quality one I can think of was Rayman.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
[QUOTE="jedigemini"]

Mantorok

I've been saying this since playing Red Steel, however people still tried to shoot my claims down in smoke, it's nice to see it now confirmed. 

It's been confirmed by everyone except those in denial. Of course it was hard for fanboys to say that their best game at launch was a GG port so they had to cheer for Red Steel... but by now even those goofballs have admitted it.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gaminggeek

Okay my chubbies, better info here from IGN

Ubisoft on Wii: We Made Mistakes The company says its rush to deliver Wii launch titles resulted in quality issues; promises better games to come.

US, May 30, 2007 - Publisher Ubisoft was one of the first third parties to recognize the potential of Nintendo's Wii console and back the platform with a wealth of titles. The company's headlining launch games, Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids, were both exclusively created for Wii and have in the six months since they released each become million-sellers around the world. However, many of the developer's other efforts - all of them quick and unimpressive ports of previously released games on other systems - have faired poorly both from a critical and retail perspective. In an interview with leading German news magazine Spiegel, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot and European head Alain Corre admitted that the publisher was too quick to rush these titles to the market.

"We made mistakes," they told the magazine. According to Spiegel, Ubisoft wanted to be first to capitalize on Wii and in its haste to release product it sacrificed the quality of the titles. Ubisoft has reportedly learned from its mistakes, though, and is promising that the quality of its forthcoming Wii projects will be significantly better.

Corre told Spiegel he is not content with sales of PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. "Sony should set a new price point soon if it still wants to sell a satisfactory amount of units this year," he said, adding, "Microsoft, too, by the way."

Spiegel is one of Europe's most influential news magazines with a weekly circulation of about one million. The publication's recent interview with Ubisoft's heads was part of a bigger piece entitled "Shelf Warmer PlayStation 3: Desperately Seeking Players," which took a very critical look at the underwhelming sales of Sony's technological goliath.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CarnageHeart

how are we wii owners non gamers? i play all the consoles and whatnot but i chose to get the wii b4 i got a xbox 360 or a ps3 cuz i didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a ps3 and also xbox 360 is an awesome system and all but i wanted innovation in my games and system this time around instead of the regular online shooter/ racing experience that is on the xbox 360. it doesn't mean i'm abandoning the notion of getting a 360 in the future cuz i totally plan just later this year or prolly next year and i'll wait till ps3 can actually give an affordable price until i decide to get one.i'd just like to know why we are being labeled as non gamers when we are no different from ya'll except we chose innovation over pretty graphics.

suikoden352

By definition anyone that owns a Wii is a gamer, the question is what sort of games they are interested in.  Nintendo designed the Wii to appeal to people who were intimidated by traditional gaming (of course, GC fans are money in the bank) and most designers/executives (including but not limited to Miyamoto) agree that they have suceeded in their goal.  Are people drawn to the Wii by Wii Play and Wii Sports interested in playing full games at traditional difficulties?  How much appetite do traditional Nintendo gamers have for full games at traditional difficulties?  The sales of Zelda do not inspire optimism.

Third parties can either try to iceskate uphill the same way Capcom did on the GC (Capcom poured a lot of time and money into making M rated GC games, but Sega roughly as much success releasing cheaper, lower quality Sonic games) or they can follow Nintendo's lead (after the failure of Eternal Darkness, Nintendo decided to play it safe) and go where the money is.   It will be interesting to see if anyone is willing to stick their neck out (porting old games from the PS2 and GC is far from risky) in pursuit of customers who probably don't exist among either of the aforementioned fanbases.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

They may well be but they also have put a lot of development time and money into these games, the Wii releases can't have cost much to port looking at the quality so I would imagine they are making a better profit ratio.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]That's odd I thought the sales for their 360 games were quite good.csliney

They may well be but they also have put a lot of development time and money into these games, the Wii releases can't have cost much to port looking at the quality so I would imagine they are making a better profit ratio.

I don't think he's talking about software sales as much as he is hardware.

Last month, the Wii sold more systems in North America than the PS3 and 360 combined, and that is the sign of a market leader forming. I think what he's saying in a a roundabout way is:

"Get your crap together boys and lower your prices, or we are going to be forced to spend more development time and resources elsewhere."

And he is right to say so, if that is indeed what he's saying.

Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts
Ubisoft will come around and surprise us all one day. They have been sucking on the wii lately but they are quite capable. Give them time.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CarnageHeart

Maybe they are releasing them too often?  Ubisoft releases squad based shooters at a pace which shames Madden.  If GRAW2 was hitting this month I would have picked it up, but it was so hard on heels of Rainbow 6 I decided to wait, and I am sure another Rainbow 6 game will be released in short order.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Well, they're not going to see PS2-level sales anytime soon. Looks like Ubisoft overextended their financials by producing so many expensive titles. Welcome to the next-gen.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="toment"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]See? Everyone thinks im crazy but here is a prime example of a developer that has good talent wasting it away on casual game garbage for the Wii. Horsez? My Word Coach? Boy those awesome games for the Wii are sure on their way arent they Ubi? Its sad when I have to rely on EA for good third party Wii games, but I guess a leopard can change their spots.toment

:shock:Wow that is so cool.

Can I have your autograph? :P

Hey just letting you know, good times good times.