Tomorrow is the future of gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Well guys and gals this is it. No turning back now. It's been a good gen but it must come to an end. I am a believer that these will be the last consoles for gaming. It's not very profitable and technology will advance to streaming and the cloud. Who believes that these are the last consoles?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Dunno, still too early to say if these will be the last consoles. I can't see that happening, maybe a dramatic change to consoles will be next, but I really have no idea. And I won't be letting go of this gen for a while. Still plenty of games I want to play, and there still might be some decent games to pick up for current gen, though I can't think of any upcoming exclusives for the 360 or PS3 off the top of my head. Even when I do get a PS4, I'll be keeping my PS3 ready to play at all times, especially since they will probably keep supporting the Instant Games Collection for PS+, maybe even more so once the PS4 is out.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Keeping my ps3 as well despite getting my ps4 at midnight tonight.

But Im afraid that this might be the last gen for consoles. But I really hope it isn't.

Read this.

"According to a report today from VG 24/7, Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada said he thinks that the PlayStation 4 will be the last Sony console with a physical body, that the PS5 will likely be cloud-based.

In an interview translated by DualShockers, Harada said the PS5 will probably be just a screen and a controller with no main console.

“So what remains will be just the name of the service. It could be named just “PlayStation network,” Harada said.

Harada compared the idea to Steam, which is the name for the Valve gaming service platform, but it’s not a hardware platform.

In the future, Harada said he thinks games will be played exclusively on a cloud-based service.

“The cloud is often mentioned, and if cloud services progress, the time when only the name of the service will remain will come some day,” Harada said.

Sony and Microsoft seem to already be trending toward the gaming service idea."

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

Who believes that these are the last consoles?

I think you're probably right.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

Well guys and gals this is it. No turning back now. It's been a good gen but it must come to an end. I am a believer that these will be the last consoles for gaming. It's not very profitable and technology will advance to streaming and the cloud. Who believes that these are the last consoles?

I hope gamespot is here in 5-8years time and this thread can be pulled when the next gen is released of consoles :)

But interesting to hear what people think might come "instead" of consoles or what they will evolve into.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RimacBugatti

As the download speeds of the internet increase than the likelihood of this happening will also increase. The download speeds are the only thing keeping this from happening. It's happening to the software first and then to the hardware. Obviously you know about Gamestick? If they can eliminate the physical console than they can increase profit. That's what they are focused on and that's what I believe is going to happen. Just like Blu-ray players will eventually be obsolete. The only problem with this is that it will affect the retailers which will be a problem so it will be interesting to see what unfolds in the future.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The Gen is not ending. Its at its peak and is overlapping with gen 8. Or do you not remember how good 6th gen was even after 2005. But yeah I get what you mean

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#8 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

The future of gaming has already been here for a year, with the Wii U starting off the 8th generation. Tomorrow, the 8th gen will be 2/3 realized, and next Friday, it will be fully realized.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

PS3 till 2015

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I don't see cloud gaming taking over pc or console gaming vs running the game on hardware locally as is done now anytime soon. I don't believe one gen is enough to change the gaming landscape so much. There's more then enough room in gaming to support a vast array of different game platforms and distribution methods cloud gaming will most likely just be another part of that. Maybe 20-40 years from now it will be a different story but I expect to see at least a few more gens of hardware based consoles.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

The Real games begin on the 22nd.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 5

#12 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

I'll be getting my PS4 by the end of the month, I hope, but in any case will continue to be using both PS2 and PS3. Xbox-wise I still have my 1st-gen crystal one and intend exchanging the X360 for a newer next year, but don't have plans for XB1 in the moment: I'd rather get a Wii U before, since the only games that really interest me on XB1--PvZ Garden Warfare and Titanfall--will come out for PC as well, and Ryse can wait...

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RimacBugatti

I have to get a PS2 again and an original Xbox again. Lol I have the Dreamcast and would like to get an original Playstation again if I can find one for a good deal. I was going to try to get Xbone next week but my pockets say nope. I really didn't count Wii U as next gen but I recon that it is. I also use to have Gamecube but the library was extremely weak so I got rid of it.

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

I don't quite understand, will that be like the name of the console will just be under the titles it publishes?

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RimacBugatti

No basically there would be no consoles but now that I think about it the TV itself would come with a CPU and GPU which I believe the new smart TV's already come with CPU's. And there would be a universal controller I guess that would work with the TV. Look up the new console Gamestick and then you will see what I'm talking about.