Then and Now - Sega Genesis vs. Super Nintendo

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

not even close. SNES still has the best library of RPGs of any console. Genesis has ...NBA Jam. Allicrombie

There are a ton of hidden gem RPG's on the Genesis.

That said, Sega had blast processing. You can't top blast processing. And Sega does what Nintendon't. Lastly, *no sarcasm* Sonic 1-3&Knuckles are the definition of 16 bit. God those games were amazing.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#52 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]not even close. SNES still has the best library of RPGs of any console. Genesis has ...NBA Jam. sonic_spark

There are a ton of hidden gem RPG's on the Genesis.

That said, Sega had blast processing. You can't top blast processing. And Sega does what Nintendon't. Lastly, *no sarcasm* Sonic 1-3&Knuckles are the definition of 16 bit. God those games were amazing.

I think that whole blast processing thing was just in the US, since ive never heard of Sega mentioning it over here. what exactly did they imply with that marketing? the only thing I can think of , is that the MD has a faster CPU then the SNES, which is true. sadly, marketing in the 90s was quite misleading regarding a machine's hardware. Phantasy Star 4 is as good as any of the Squaresoft RPGs of the time, in my opinion.
dsswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 dsswoosh
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts
For me it was - Genesis - - Sonic 2 (split screen multiplayer battles were amazing) - Golden Axe - Road Rash - Micro Machines Snes - - Super Mario Kart - Star Wars Games - Super Mario Kart - Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition - Super Mario Kart - Did i mention Super Mario Kart? Both machines were a source of pure awesomness.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts

i eventually bought a SNES when i saw Mega Max X. Back in those days when you could only afford 2 games a year, that was the only SNES game i played throughout the year.

Although Genesis my obvious pick.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I find SNES a lot better, but Genesis wasn't shabby either.

Here you can see some multiplatform comparisons between the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s87NwerwqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT76Uc5JFFE

As you can see SNES has more colorful graphics, better sound and better effects.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Darkman2007

I find SNES a lot better, but Genesis wasn't shabby either.

Here you can see some multiplatform comparisons between the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s87NwerwqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT76Uc5JFFE

As you can see SNES has more colorful graphics, better sound and better effects.

nameless12345
its also 2 years newer, its to be expected.
dsswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dsswoosh
Yea the Snes had the better hardware. It had a larger colour pallette, sprite scaling and simple 3d effects if my memory serves me correctly. Graphical debates are 99% fruitless though unless you are talking about two newly released products.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="dsswoosh"]Yea the Snes had the better hardware. It had a larger colour pallette, sprite scaling and simple 3d effects if my memory serves me correctly. Graphical debates are 99% fruitless though unless you are talking about two newly released products.

the SNES didnt have any capability for 3D, it had scaling and rotation effects for 2D backgrounds, which the Mega Drive didn't have. of course that didn't stop Nintendo from calling it 3D, but thats marketing for you. there are games like Starfox, but obviously these use the SuperFX chip to get any sort of respectable polygon output from the SNES. in the end, each machine did bettter at different things. not sure if it means anything , but I read an interview with Trip Hawkins who was the president of EA at the time, and he said the Mega Drive was better for sports games, since they didn't need much colour , but needed to be fast (something the Mega Drive could provide with the superior CPU) the SNES was better , according to him , to a platformer like Mario, where it wasn't so fast and needed alot of colours.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#59 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

the SNES didnt have any capability for 3D, it had scaling and rotation effects for 2D backgrounds, which the Mega Drive didn't have. of course that didn't stop Nintendo from calling it 3D, but thats marketing for you.Darkman2007

Then what are these games if they aren't 3D?

• Doom
  • Star Fox
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Wolfenstein 3-D
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] the SNES didnt have any capability for 3D, it had scaling and rotation effects for 2D backgrounds, which the Mega Drive didn't have. of course that didn't stop Nintendo from calling it 3D, but thats marketing for you.Emerald_Warrior

• Doom
  • Star Fox
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Wolfenstein 3-D

Doom- uses the SuperFX2 chip , and not 3D , since it doesnt use polygons. Starfox - uses the SuperFX chip Super Mario RPG - its not 3D, its an isometric game with pre renderd graphics like Sonic 3D blast. Wolf3D - doesnt use polygons. I did mention 3D games exist thanks to the SuperFX chip, but the SNES doesnt have any capability to display 3D polygons. of course it could do them in software, but good luck playing 3D games at 3 fps (just look at some 3D games on the Mega Drive to see what I mean)
dsswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dsswoosh
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] the SNES didnt have any capability for 3D, it had scaling and rotation effects for 2D backgrounds, which the Mega Drive didn't have. of course that didn't stop Nintendo from calling it 3D, but thats marketing for you.Darkman2007

DoomStar FoxSuper Mario RPGWolfenstein 3-D

Doom- uses the SuperFX2 chip , and not 3D , since it doesnt use polygons. Starfox - uses the SuperFX chip Super Mario RPG - its not 3D, its an isometric game with pre renderd graphics like Sonic 3D blast. Wolf3D - doesnt use polygons.

The levels in Doom and Wolf3D are all made out of polygons.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

DoomStar FoxSuper Mario RPGWolfenstein 3-Ddsswoosh

Doom- uses the SuperFX2 chip , and not 3D , since it doesnt use polygons. Starfox - uses the SuperFX chip Super Mario RPG - its not 3D, its an isometric game with pre renderd graphics like Sonic 3D blast. Wolf3D - doesnt use polygons.

The levels in Doom and Wolf3D are all made out of polygons.

no they aren't and I thought that was common knowledge too.

wolf3D uses scaling to achieve a 3D look with 2D objects and enviroments , Doom also uses 2D enviroments.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/394/quake1uo9.jpg

this is a 3D polygon FPS game

File:Wolf3d 3do.png

this isn't (this is the 3DO version , which is better looking then the SNES version due to redrawn graphics).

dsswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 dsswoosh
I used to build doom levels on my PC. The levels are made out of Polygons, whilst the enemies are scaling sprites. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_1
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="dsswoosh"]I used to build doom levels on my PC. The levels are made out of Polygons, whilst the enemies are scaling sprites. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_1

that still goes back to my earlier point that the SNES couldnt run 3D games on its own , since the game used the SuperFX2 chip , and was still massively stripped down. and wolf3D still isnt 3D as you mentioned.
dsswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 dsswoosh
Yea i was wrong about Wolf 3d. I thought it used polygons to draw the floors and walls but it doesn't. It uses some kind of pixel algorithm to calculate them. Doom though, even on the Snes version does use polygons to draw the walls and floors, but this is handled by the Super FX chip which was built into the cartridges. So we are kind of both right. On it's own, the Snes couldn't handle 3D very well, (i say "very well" because even a hand held calculator has enough processing power to calculate one polygon), but with the extra hardware built into the cartridges, it was able to handle reasonable 3D environments.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="dsswoosh"]Yea i was wrong about Wolf 3d. I thought it used polygons to draw the floors and walls but it doesn't. It uses some kind of pixel algorithm to calculate them. Doom though, even on the Snes version does use polygons to draw the walls and floors, but this is handled by the Super FX chip which was built into the cartridges. So we are kind of both right. On it's own, the Snes couldn't handle 3D very well, (i say "very well" because even a hand held calculator has enough processing power to calculate one polygon), but with the extra hardware built into the cartridges, it was able to handle reasonable 3D environments.

after reading that article, it says the id tech 1 wasnt a "true 3D engine" care to explain why is that, if it does indeed use polygons?. whats the difference between the Doom engine, and an engine like the Quake engine?
dsswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dsswoosh
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="dsswoosh"]Yea i was wrong about Wolf 3d. I thought it used polygons to draw the floors and walls but it doesn't. It uses some kind of pixel algorithm to calculate them. Doom though, even on the Snes version does use polygons to draw the walls and floors, but this is handled by the Super FX chip which was built into the cartridges. So we are kind of both right. On it's own, the Snes couldn't handle 3D very well, (i say "very well" because even a hand held calculator has enough processing power to calculate one polygon), but with the extra hardware built into the cartridges, it was able to handle reasonable 3D environments.

after reading that article, it says the id tech 1 wasnt a "true 3D engine" care to explain why is that, if it does indeed use polygons?. whats the difference between the Doom engine, and an engine like the Quake engine?

It's not a true 3D engine because although the walls and floors are drawn using polygons, it only allowed the player to look left and right. It didn't allow them to look up and down. There's a huge amount of difference between the Doom and Quake engines. But for what we are talking about the Quake engine allows the player to look in all directions. I wikipedia'ed the Super FX chip - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX "The Super FX is a coprocessor chip used in select Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) video game cartridges. This custom-made RISC processor was typically programmed to act like a graphics accelerator chip that would draw polygons to a frame buffer in the RAM that sat adjacent to it." Looking at that page brings back fond memories of a game i completely forgot about. Star Fox. Made almost entirely from polygons. Fantastic game when it came out. ^^
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="dsswoosh"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="dsswoosh"]Yea i was wrong about Wolf 3d. I thought it used polygons to draw the floors and walls but it doesn't. It uses some kind of pixel algorithm to calculate them. Doom though, even on the Snes version does use polygons to draw the walls and floors, but this is handled by the Super FX chip which was built into the cartridges. So we are kind of both right. On it's own, the Snes couldn't handle 3D very well, (i say "very well" because even a hand held calculator has enough processing power to calculate one polygon), but with the extra hardware built into the cartridges, it was able to handle reasonable 3D environments.

It's not a true 3D engine because although the walls and floors are drawn using polygons, it only allowed the player to look left and right. It didn't allow them to look up and down. There's a huge amount of difference between the Doom and Quake engines. But for what we are talking about the Quake engine allows the player to look in all directions. I wikipedia'ed the Super FX chip - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX "The Super FX is a coprocessor chip used in select Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) video game cartridges. This custom-made RISC processor was typically programmed to act like a graphics accelerator chip that would draw polygons to a frame buffer in the RAM that sat adjacent to it." Looking at that page brings back fond memories of a game i completely forgot about. Star Fox. Made almost entirely from polygons. Fantastic game when it came out. ^^

the Mega Drive also had the SVP chip , which was used for the Mega Drive version of Virtua Racing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Virtua_Processor its not arcade perfect by any means ,but its fast, considering its a 3D game.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

for street fighter 2, watch this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zfUhWzmAIE, whatever that video was, it was biased. Plus the genesis has a hyper mode, so it is faster. Both are basically the same, with small differences. By the way, if you say the super nintendo has better controls for fighters? Well, just get a six button sega genesis controller. But to be honest, fighters suck, huge button mashing >_>.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Darkman2007

for street fighter 2, watch this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zfUhWzmAIE, whatever that video was, it was biased. Plus the genesis has a hyper mode, so it is faster. Both are basically the same, with small differences. By the way, if you say the super nintendo has better controls for fighters? Well, just get a six button sega genesis controller. But to be honest, fighters suck, huge button mashing >_>.

mahlasor
there are people who use the normal MD controller with fighting games??
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

mahlasor

v

Really? Seriously you are saying fighting games are button mashers? Wow...just wow....Play a Street Fighter game against some one who knows how to play, and try mashing...you will not last long. The Best fighthing games donot rely on Button Mashing in the least...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 nameless12345

Doom wasn't 3D, it used ray casting like Wolfenstein 3D before. The first true 3D FPS was Quake (and Descent before).

SNES had no 3D hardware, but Nintendo made 3D games popular on the consoles with Star Fox and they also pioneered console 3D acceleration (Sega copied them later with Virtua Racing and the SVP chip).

mahlasor

I was comparing Super Street Fighter II, not Street Fighter II Championship Edition/Turbo. And SFII Turbo on the SNES has a fast mode too and still looks more colorful.

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
I enjoy thr SNES a lot more with titles like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, FF, DKC, f-zero, kirby, yoshi, shdowrun, chrono trigger, star fox, mario kart, and many more. I only enjoy a few genesis games like sonic but I think it has a lot to with the fact that I really like having really popular brand recognition along with my games. Decap Attack and comix zone are a lot f fun
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 mahlasor

Oh... Well it turns out there is 4 different versions. Fighters are button mashers by nature. You have to remember all these stupid combinations also, I dont like games that make me get a manual out just to figure it out. But yeah, the Sega Genesis cant produce voices, but as long as it does not need to have voices, it can still make good music. Take Sonic 3 for example, it uses michael jackson music without the voices, and it works really well. Super Nintendo wins on fighters, but I think fighters suck, there is a reason you dont see fighters made that much anymore. I want to relax when playing games, not having a workout session. Killer Instinct is really well made, I know that, has top notch quality, but its a fighter, and I dont like mashing buttons a lot. Especially when the AI gets ultra fast.

Here is an example of how bias things can get,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqz0Tgk13uo&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-6-HM. He never mentions that the Genesis is way smoother in gameplay. I couldnt stand how he scored.

dsswoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dsswoosh
But yeah, the Sega Genesis cant produce voices, but as long as it does not need to have voices, it can still make good music.mahlasor
Untrue. Joe Montana Football had full commentary in it with a perfectly understandable voice.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="mahlasor"]But yeah, the Sega Genesis cant produce voices, but as long as it does not need to have voices, it can still make good music.dsswoosh
Untrue. Joe Montana Football had full commentary in it with a perfectly understandable voice.

I agree, the Mega Drive can produce some quality voice work , its just that the ones in Street Fighter 2 were pretty bad, and it was a popular game. Earthworm Jim 2 also had some voice work that was very good.
PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 PSNIDCiocio313
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

I don't know if it's just me but Mario is sluggish; Streets of Rage series is the best beat'em up during that time.wackoss

mario is sluggish because you play sonic anything will seem sluggish, mario was made for you to think not mindlessly run past obstacle after obstacle, even myamoto said hewas influenced by puzzles like rubiks cube when he made his games...streets of rage was NOT i repeat was NOT the best beat'em up during that time, final fight on sega cd was the best beat em up during that time,why? because it was arcade perfect, there may have been a few changes from the the arcade version like the style of clothes or certain characters but the graphics and sound were arcade perfect. infact the sound was better than the arcade on sega cd final fight because they used live instruments unlike the arcade version

PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PSNIDCiocio313

Doom wasn't 3D, it used ray casting like Wolfenstein 3D before. The first true 3D FPS was Quake (and Descent before).

SNES had no 3D hardware, but Nintendo made 3D games popular on the consoles with Star Fox and they also pioneered console 3D acceleration (Sega copied them later with Virtua Racing and the SVP chip).

colorful.

nameless12345

actually sega cd had silpheed that had 3D graphics

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mahlasor

Oh, I also forgot that Earthworm Jim had good sound, so it just depends if the developer cared.

Dont mention the Sega cd.... EVAR! Its the reason why the Genesis is preceived to be vastly inferior to the Snes

PSNIDCiocio313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 PSNIDCiocio313
[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Oh, I also forgot that Earthworm Jim had good sound, so it just depends if the developer cared.

Dont mention the Sega cd.... EVAR! Its the reason why the Genesis is preceived to be vastly inferior to the Snes

how so?
jd7904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81 jd7904
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts

For me Sega Genesis was all that was right with the world when it came out mainly because of all the arcade ports like altered beast, strider, golden axe, and afterburner. those were the games I wanted so I wouldn't have to spend $10 at the arcade every week to try and beat them. There were so many things I liked better about the genesis then like the games seemed to play faster and more responsive than SNES games at the time. sure the Snes had better graphics and sound but sports games and shooters seemed to be soooo slow on it, especially Madden which at the time was one of my favorite games. pilotwings showed off every mode 7 scaling effect possible but just about everything on the game felt like you were moving 5 mph. better graphics don't always mean better games (X-perts anyone).

That said I've come to appreciate the SNES more as of late because of the JRPG selection, not that the Genny didn't have any it's just that the Snes had more of them to choose from. I play many more rpg's than I did back in the 90's so I can appreciate the Snes much more now. I still prefer my genesis but it's much closer now than it was when I was a kid.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

colorful.

PSNIDCiocio313

that was through software, and I have to admit its impressive. though I would think it uses the extra processor in the Mega CD to do the calculations.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

colorful.

PSNIDCiocio313

The only thing that was 3D in Slipheed where the small spaceships, everything else was pre-rendered.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="PSNIDCiocio313"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

colorful.

nameless12345

The only thing that was 3D in Slipheed where the small spaceships, everything else was pre-rendered.

thats true, which is why it ran quickly.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 TheTrueMagusX1

Oh... Well it turns out there is 4 different versions. Fighters are button mashers by nature. You have to remember all these stupid combinations also, I dont like games that make me get a manual out just to figure it out. But yeah, the Sega Genesis cant produce voices, but as long as it does not need to have voices, it can still make good music. Take Sonic 3 for example, it uses michael jackson music without the voices, and it works really well. Super Nintendo wins on fighters, but I think fighters suck, there is a reason you dont see fighters made that much anymore. I want to relax when playing games, not having a workout session. Killer Instinct is really well made, I know that, has top notch quality, but its a fighter, and I dont like mashing buttons a lot. Especially when the AI gets ultra fast.

Here is an example of how bias things can get,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqz0Tgk13uo&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-6-HM. He never mentions that the Genesis is way smoother in gameplay. I couldnt stand how he scored.

mahlasor

Far from being button mashers, you use a lot of strategy and then thats preference, but calling something a button masher when its clearly not is just silly.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mahlasor

I'm sorry. I love the Genesis, but the SNES was just a better console. Part of my reasoning is that some of the SNES games were so good--covering pretty much every genre--that playing Genesis games afterwards somehow diminished them. Super Mario World is so far ahead of any Genesis platformer. It's like going from Street Fighter II: Turbo, and then back to the original Street Fighter. Star Fox, Zelda, Mario Kart, Earthbound--the SNES just had the best of the best. I think it is one of the few consoles where its best games are still yet to be topped, even today.

Heirren

I wouldnt say it was all out better than the Genesis, I mean it was so much different, it wasnt really better at doing what the genesis did, the genesis had things that it did better at than the super nintendo by a large degree. You can look at teenage ninja turtles on both, same game, but notice that one appears to be more "kiddish," in color. I think you are wrong on super mario world being "ahead," sonic was the one ahead... That is a fact, mario was just doing pretty much the same time it did the first time. Sonic was totally new, fast, and powerful. Without sonic, the Genesis would not of had near the success, it was there only hope. Zelda is great and all, but its really just a new version of the same game. Of course I would like to point out that Donkey Kong country, Super Metroid, Mario RPG, and Yoshis island all came in 1994 I think. I think sega got stupid at that point and spent all this money on accessories, like 32x, sega cd, and etc. Who knows what could of happened if Sega would not of gotten stupid. I think what Nintendo did better on is actually using the hardware to its fullest, while the Genesis seemed to not try as hard as it could. You see games like MUSHA and gunstar heroes, then you got to wonder on those games that look sort of mushy.

Avatar image for CollectingGamer
CollectingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 CollectingGamer
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

You know it's funny when i think about it, it's almost like ps3 vs 360. The PS3 has the better graphics and better exclusives then the 360. But I played the sega more then snes because segas action games ran faster as did there sports games which i played a lot of.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 nameless12345

You know it's funny when i think about it, it's almost like ps3 vs 360. The PS3 has the better graphics and better exclusives then the 360. But I played the sega more then snes because segas action games ran faster as did there sports games which i played a lot of.

CollectingGamer

Actually the PS3 reminds me more of the Genesis because of the faster CPU and worse GPU and worse multiplatform games. But it's not the best comparison because SNES was a newer console than Genesis and PS3 is a newer console than the 360.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="CollectingGamer"]

nameless12345

Actually the PS3 reminds me more of the Genesis because of the faster CPU and worse GPU and worse multiplatform games. But it's not the best comparison because SNES was a newer console than Genesis and PS3 is a newer console than the 360.

I donot know if they had the worst multiplat games. There were some better multiplat games that I enjoyed better on the Genesis than the SNES. One particular was the Aladin game for the Genesis. It was a good little platformer that just looked better and played better on the Genesis. Remember in some retrospects there were somethings that the Genesis simply did better than the SNES, and vice veras. SNES games tended to look alot better, more colorful then say the Genesis games, but some of those games were faster then SNES games. The PS3 and XBox 360 are similiar in the matter that to me, being an owner of both....I find that both are equal and they do some things better then the other. I feel the same way about the Genesis and SNES.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#90 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

mahlasor

You're a funny guy, you know that? If you have to remember "combinations" in fighters, then how exactly are they button mashers? You push buttons in them, that's true - but you do that in any game.

The rest of what you're saying pretty much amounts to that you don't like complexity - yet you have some sort of aversion to button mashers as well. You sure you shouldn't be enjoying an easy listening CD or a goofy comedy movie instead? OK, maybe that's harsh. Not all games are action-oriented requiring you to keep up with their pace though.

You did say something earlier that I agree with though - except for the part that I've highlighted in bold (what the ... has price got to do with it?).

The truth is, when someone says a game suck without having some line of reasoning, that is not opinion, that is a prejudice, so I cant take the statement "game sucks," seriously. An example is someone actually said to me Musha sucks, but he never said he did not like it because it was a shoot em up/not his type. That does not count as a valid opinion, such a person should be taken with a grain of salt, as the game is actually worth 1.5 times as much as it originally sold for.mahlasor

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 mahlasor

And that is what is so cool about that console generation, there was so much variety, because both consoles were so different, if you had both, you got the best of both worlds. Though I feel that most of what made the SNES good, was Nintendo and RARE. While the Sega genesis was more varied.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

I wouldn't say that the SNES was particularly better at Fighting games anyway to be honest, i'd say they were pretty equal

SNES had a slightly better version of Street Fighter II (but the one of Genesis was still very respectable and playable), SNES had better versions of Fatal Fury 2, Turtles Tournament Fighters, and Mortal Kombat II, and it had Killer Instinct as an exclusive

Genesis had better versions of the original Fatal Fury, Mortal Kombat, and Samurai Shodown, it had Treasure's Yu Yu Hakusho game which is definitely one of my favourite Fighters of that generation (4-player free for all for the win) and Eternal Champions was a pretty good diversion with lots of features too.

I'm not too sure about Power Instinct and Weaponlord as I've not spent enough time with them, but I seem to remember people saying the SNES version of Weaponlord was very unresponsive, and played badly, I think Power Instinct was better on SNES though.

Personally I'd choose the Genesis for the four player games of Yu Yu Hakusho alone.

KronikX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 KronikX9
Member since 2003 • 60 Posts

I wouldn't say that the SNES was particularly better at Fighting games anyway to be honest, i'd say they were pretty equal

SNES had a slightly better version of Street Fighter II (but the one of Genesis was still very respectable and playable), SNES had better versions of Fatal Fury 2, Turtles Tournament Fighters, and Mortal Kombat II, and it had Killer Instinct as an exclusive

Personally I'd choose the Genesis for the four player games of Yu Yu Hakusho alone.

Domino_slayer

I still think Endless Duel is one of the best fighters on the SNES. Hyper Dimension is also great.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="CollectingGamer"]

TheTrueMagusX1

I donot know if they had the worst multiplat games. There were some better multiplat games that I enjoyed better on the Genesis than the SNES. One particular was the Aladin game for the Genesis. It was a good little platformer that just looked better and played better on the Genesis. Remember in some retrospects there were somethings that the Genesis simply did better than the SNES, and vice veras. SNES games tended to look alot better, more colorful then say the Genesis games, but some of those games were faster then SNES games. The PS3 and XBox 360 are similiar in the matter that to me, being an owner of both....I find that both are equal and they do some things better then the other. I feel the same way about the Genesis and SNES.

Well many multiplatform games were worse on the Genesis, but some were better, yes. However, Aladdin on the Genesis was entirely different to the SNES Aladdin and was also made by a different group. Genesis did have the CPU advantage meaning that some games like (obviously) the Sonic series were very fast. But SNES made up for the poor CPU with special, in-cart chips that increased it's capabilites. For example Star Fox used the Super FX chip for 3D acceleration and Kirby Superstar and Super Mario RPG used the SA-1 chip that was clocked up to 10 Mhz, giving the games extra processing power they needed. Yoshi's Island also used the Super FX chip to help scaling calculations and stuff like that. Sega generally didn't use in-cart chips in Genesis games with the exception of the SVP chip which was only used to help calculate the 3D graphics in Virtua Racing (they made the 32X a bit later to increase Genesis' power).

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Well many multiplatform games were worse on the Genesis, but some were better, yes. However, Aladdin on the Genesis was entirely different to the SNES Aladdin and was also made by a different group. Genesis did have the CPU advantage meaning that some games like (obviously) the Sonic series were very fast. But SNES made up for the poor CPU with special, in-cart chips that increased it's capabilites. For example Star Fox used the Super FX chip for 3D acceleration and Kirby Superstar and Super Mario RPG used the SA-1 chip that was clocked up to 10 Mhz, giving the games extra processing power they needed. Yoshi's Island also used the Super FX chip to help scaling calculations and stuff like that. Sega generally didn't use in-cart chips in Genesis games with the exception of the SVP chip which was only used to help calculate the 3D graphics in Virtua Racing (they made the 32X a bit later to increase Genesis' power).

Yes but the Alladin while some what different was just a pure better game on the Genesis. I know all about the chips and I do know what was done better on the Genesis and what was done better on the SNES. my Point was that both consoles had an advantage, which you reiterated with all the Tech. Though those chip games that you mentioned on the SNES were few and far between unfortunatley however. Now Donkey Kong Country however is an interesting speciman as that it did not use any chip as far as I know. Rare used Compression techniques for the game and as far as I know there were no chips in that game, or I could be wrong, but from what Tim Stamper has stated they purchased expensive SGI experiment to make the game and used some sort of compression as opposed to using a chip accelarator in the Cartridge. This technique was the ACM technique and for its time and it was impressive in those days.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Yes but the Alladin while some what different was just a pure better game on the Genesis. I know all about the chips and I do know what was done better on the Genesis and what was done better on the SNES. my Point was that both consoles had an advantage, which you reiterated with all the Tech. Though those chip games that you mentioned on the SNES were few and far between unfortunatley however. Now Donkey Kong Country however is an interesting speciman as that it did not use any chip as far as I know. Rare used Compression techniques for the game and as far as I know there were no chips in that game, or I could be wrong, but from what Tim Stamper has stated they purchased expensive SGI experiment to make the game and used some sort of compression as opposed to using a chip accelarator in the Cartridge. This technique was the ACM technique and for its time and it was impressive in those days.

Actually there were a lot of SNES games with special in-cart chips. Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Kirby Superstar, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X2 and X3 all used special chips and the list goes on. The fact it also that SNES could display more colors than Genesis and had advanced effects like Mode 7 scaling and rotation. And it also had agruably better sound. The only area where Genesis was better was the CPU speed, but like I said before that could be compensated with special in-cart chips.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Actually there were a lot of SNES games with special in-cart chips. Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Kirby Superstar, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X2 and X3 all used special chips and the list goes on. The fact it also that SNES could display more colors than Genesis and had advanced effects like Mode 7 scaling and rotation. And it also had agruably better sound. The only area where Genesis was better was the CPU speed, but like I said before that could be compensated with special in-cart chips.

Now you could disagree with me but I donot think the chips really enhanced the speed of those games. And while those games you listed had chips granted, lets be honest thats not the majority of games non the less. I think whats the chips did was allow the SNES things to do things it oculd not do, however the games still ran at similiar speeds as the rest of the SNES library. I also double checked on Pilotwings and it did not use a special chip of any sort, it simply relied on the SNES handy Mode 7 capabilities(And yes an advantage that the SNES had over the Genesis) as opposed to having a chip. But I will say that the Genesis and SNES are equal in terms of things, its just that on the SNES game makers were a bit more constructive by using chips and other such things for the games.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Now you could disagree with me but I donot think the chips really enhanced the speed of those games. And while those games you listed had chips granted, lets be honest thats not the majority of games non the less. I think whats the chips did was allow the SNES things to do things it oculd not do, however the games still ran at similiar speeds as the rest of the SNES library. I also double checked on Pilotwings and it did not use a special chip of any sort, it simply relied on the SNES handy Mode 7 capabilities(And yes an advantage that the SNES had over the Genesis) as opposed to having a chip. But I will say that the Genesis and SNES are equal in terms of things, its just that on the SNES game makers were a bit more constructive by using chips and other such things for the games.

I don't think Star Fox would be possible on the SNES if it didn't use the Super FX chip.

Here is a list of SNES chips and games using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

I don't think Star Fox would be possible on the SNES if it didn't use the Super FX chip.

I will be damned that Pilot Wings is on there, however I will say this though. What does that say about the SNES alone with out the chips? Now I agree with you 100% about Star Fox, however I donot think the games were as fast as teh Genesis Games. I donot think SOnic could run on the SNES, but then again most SNES games could not run on the Genesis. As I said the SNES did use alot of chips, granted, but I think the Genesis could prove itself on its own. I think in many instances multiplats were better on the Genesis, and others. I think the Genesis port of Earthworm Jim is better then the SNES, but then again you could and say. I am saying they were on equal levels

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

I will be damned that Pilot Wings is on there, however I will say this though. What does that say about the SNES alone with out the chips? Now I agree with you 100% about Star Fox, however I donot think the games were as fast as teh Genesis Games. I donot think SOnic could run on the SNES, but then again most SNES games could not run on the Genesis. As I said the SNES did use alot of chips, granted, but I think the Genesis could prove itself on its own. I think in many instances multiplats were better on the Genesis, and others. I think the Genesis port of Earthworm Jim is better then the SNES, but then again you could and say. I am saying they were on equal levels

SNES without chips could do some mighty good graphics too as seen in Donkey Kong Country. The speed of Genesis games is not so much a matter of the CPU as is of the programing. You see the "blast-processing" which was suposedly evident in Sonic 2 was, in fact, just a trick where Sonic moved out of the visible area and gave the impression that the game was faster than it actually was. There were fast games on the SNES too. The only occasion when the Genesis really had the upper hand over the SNES were games with a lot of going on, i.e. for example with loads of enemies on screen at once or in games with multiple background layers like the Thunder Force series. I can see SNES having problems running Thunder Force IV and Thunder Force III was faster on the Genesis too. But that problem could easily be solved with aditional in-cart chips which would be used to accelerate the graphics. After all, the SNES could handle games as complex as Doom if they used the chips. Earthworm Jim may be better on the Genesis since it was developed for the Genesis and later ported over to the SNES. However, Earthworm Jim 2 was better on the SNES, as were Super Steet Fighter II, Mortal Kombat II and so on. Genesis and SNES weren't equal when it comes to tech. SNES could display more colors, more advanced effects (like Mode 7), supported in-cart chips (Genesis only did this for Virtua Racing) and had agruably better sound. The only thing where Genesis was better was, like stated before, the CPU speed.